PDA

View Full Version : Bananna's MMM

StevenM
08-07-2005, 08:39 AM
G'day, Question? ??? ??? ???

Its taken me a while to put this down, but is the bananna bad luck thing real or what? Only reason Im asking as that we went to the Tweed for our annual boys fishing trip this year. You know the stuff that dreams are mad of. Flat glassed out days with that sun keeping you warm and those fish going off, esky full etc. Well one of my mates decieded to invite one of his work mates along on the first day. No probs I said, he can fish with me. Well the day was shite, the fishing was poor, the winds were up, the swell up. Decieded that enough was enough and headed back from the nine mile to the river. Anyway this is when old mate pulls out a BANANNA. Shit no wonder I thought. Said a few words to him about the bad luck that those yellow things are supposed to have. He just said YEAH??. Well what do ya think happens next. Well the week was or turned to shite. Had more wind/swell/rain than ya can poke a stick at and the fishing ahhhhhhhh.And the second last day me sounder stoped working, never to show another thing on the screen again. So is true? How do I reverse the yellow moster curse. >:( :o

Cheers Steven

Yeah we went camping in the bloody recent rains. June is supposed to only have a average rainfall of 70mm. Thats only 2mm a day. Can live with that.

SCOTTYGC
08-07-2005, 08:56 AM
the only way to break this curse is to send me $1000 cash, then i will contact the fruit and veg man to remove the curse

scotty

DR
08-07-2005, 09:09 AM
if you believe the banana curse, you will believe scottygc & send him the $1000. ;)

Big_unit
08-07-2005, 09:15 AM
Maybe Qlds origin team all had those hi energy Banana smoothies for a quick afternoon snack yesterday.

Cheers
James

serge_g
08-07-2005, 10:20 AM
The reason that bananas are thought to be bad lucjk on boats is because in times of old when boats struggled to keep their fruit and veg from rotting on long journeys it was beleived that bananas, which can rot quite quickly, would often ruin their stores..... so thats why that bananas were rarely taken on board ships as a food source.... and from their they became known as "bad luck"

caloundra
08-07-2005, 10:48 AM
There are many stories why bananas have been thought of as bad luck on boats. This is only one of the nautical superstitions that I know of and is particularly prevalent amongst watermen. Many stories have banana oil rubbing off on ones hands and “spooking" the fish; therefore the fish don't bite. There is always the story of a crew member slipping on the banana peel left on the deck. Some say that bananas give you the runs so you are always in the marine head and can't catch fish because you are busy "draining the pipes". Many other stories are told about bad luck and bananas, however the one that I find most plausible is a historical one.

Back in the days of the transatlantic crossings by wooden sailing ships many hazards would befall the captains, crew and passengers. Disease, pirates, shipwrecks, storms, etc., claimed the lives of a good percentage of the captains, crew and passengers attempting the dangerous voyage. Needless to say, a transatlantic crossing in the 17th and 18th centuries was a very risky endeavor. Often the vessels would stop along the way in tropical islands to gather provisions such as food and water. There the passengers and crew would often purchase wooden crates of bananas from the locals and bring them aboard the ship. These crates would have all manner of critters in them such as bugs, spiders, vermin and snakes.

These critters would make their way into the bilges of the ships, multiply, and then find their way into the captain's quarters. The captains circulated the rumor that bananas were bad luck in an attempt to keep the critters off the ship and out of their cabin. The crew and
passengers were more than eager to follow suit because of the inherent risk of the crossing. So, if the captain announced prior to the voyage that bananas were bad luck and not allowed aboard the vessel, everyone complied. You must remember that these were the days of burning witches and the like, so superstitions were taken very seriously.
Watermen are a mysterious lot. While we are known for our simple pragmatism, we also have many odd quirks. Superstitions have been prevalent on almost every vessel I have worked on. I feel that this is due to the nature of a waterman in that he sees the randomness of the world around him juxtaposed with the rhythmic, seasonal flows of nature and then tries to reconcile these observations into some sort of personal and/or environmental order. As Stevie Wonder (a blind man) pointed out so eloquently: "When you believe in things you can't
understand, that's superstition".

mini696
08-07-2005, 11:02 AM
Bananas are great for sailing. Slow energy release, and easy to store (gaffa taped to mast).

I would never worry about bad luck because of a piece of fruit!! ::)

DR
08-07-2005, 11:23 AM
similar to above..
bananas as they ripen give off a gas, this in turn causes other fruit & veges to ripen quickly.
on marine voyages, when all fruit & veges were packed in the hold together for a long trip, the gas from the bananas caused the other produce to ripen quickly & start to rot, therefore losing a lot of their cargo & decreasing the profitability of the trip..
hence it was badluck to have the tasty old 'nana on board ..

try getting a piece of green fruit & putting it in a paper bag with a banana for a couple of days...

devocean
08-07-2005, 11:56 AM
I belive it is all fruit which is bad luck. No fruit ever gets on my boat.

NEWBY
08-07-2005, 12:24 PM
I spose I had better chuck me 2 bobs worth in. I am originally from Perth in WA. My brothers father in law is an Italian cray fisherman. So was his father before him and now his son is. You would be skull dragged if you ever took a banana on his boat. It was the ultimate bad luck.To test this theory, we parked 2 boats next to each other over the same ground using the same bait. Don't know why but the boat with the banannas caught bugger all. I mean not a thing and my boat caught plenty. So my decky jumped on the other boat with his gear and his bait after having a great session on my boat, he got nothing on the banana boat. We wouldnt have been more than 10 metres apart and we were over a wreck. Go figure?
I dont know if it is crap or what but after that day, bananas are banned from my boat.

DR
08-07-2005, 12:33 PM
c'mon Newby, next thing you'll be telling us there is no Santa!!!

PinHead
08-07-2005, 01:04 PM
And no one walks under ladders...or panics when a black cat crosses their path..etc etc...all old wives tales.
Never had a banana on my boats and still bugger all fish..what does that tell ya ? The banana theory is crap or else I am a pathetic fisherman..maybe both.

StevenM
08-07-2005, 01:33 PM
Well, dont know what to think about the topic actually, I have never taken any fruit on my boat before as well, esp citrus, the stuff gets on ya hands and on bait lures whatever. PinHead, I own a black cat and that sucker keeps some people away from our house and had people leave almost straight after they have seen him. I am still gunna blame the banana for my sounder dying, and the poor weather conditions. One good thing is that I may have talked the minister for finance, and all other things at time in letting me purchase a colour jobby. So maybe they are good luck??

Cheers all
Steven

Dave
08-07-2005, 01:33 PM
I am going to tear my boat apart, Iam sure somebody has hidden a banana in there somewhere. Must be the reason why my fishing has been up the creek lately. ???

Roo
08-07-2005, 01:49 PM
[quote author=DR link=board=General;num=1120711865;start=0#7 date=07/07/05 at 15:22:41]similar to above..
bananas as they ripen give off a gas

saphire
08-07-2005, 03:36 PM
Traditionally men have gone to sea. Many men dont like to eat fruit or salad because.... well because they just dont. I have to cut fruit up for my husband and son before they eat it. Do you think it has something to do with men thinking that eating a bannana is unmanly?
I know, I know, What a stupid thing to say.
I just wanted to get in on the post as well but I have no ancient mariner knowledge to fall back on.
Cheers,
saphire [smiley=balloon3.gif]

Morlers
08-07-2005, 04:15 PM
Bananas in pyjamas are coming down the stairs
Bananas in pyjamas are coming down in pairs
Bananas in pyjamas are coming down to hop into yourrrr boat
Watch out [smiley=rifle.gif] [smiley=rifle.gif] [smiley=smash.gif] [smiley=smash.gif] [smiley=stop.gif] [smiley=helpa.gif] [smiley=end.gif]

;) ;)

Morlers

terminaltackle
08-07-2005, 04:47 PM
As far as bananas are concerned, I had never heard of the dreaded curse... So if bananas are bad luck, what brings good luck to fisho's? Now that should balance out the dreaded bad luck from the banana and having balanced your luck beliefs you will be left with no luck at all ;) ;)

Sportfish_5
08-07-2005, 06:45 PM
It's bad luck to be superstitious ;D ;D ;D ;D

Another one regarding the history of where the banana curse originated from that I read related to the days when old sailing vessels would transport them home from the tropics and quite often sink in storms when fully laden. The only trace found by following trade ships were floating banana trails which lead to the belief they were unlucky.

Cheers

Greg

DICER
08-07-2005, 09:28 PM
bananas in pyjamas are chasing teddy bears
cause on tuesdays they'll catch you unawares.....
zuchinis in bikinis are coming down the stairs....???

I don't think a banana is a good lure guys...

markpeta
08-07-2005, 11:42 PM
As far as bananas are concerned, I had never heard of the dreaded curse... #So if bananas are bad luck, what brings good luck to fisho's? #Now that should balance out the dreaded bad luck from the banana and having balanced your luck beliefs you will be left with no luck at all ;) ;)

Monkey's must be good luck because they will eat your bad luck bananna's if you have any on the boat.

mal-laurie
09-07-2005, 05:51 AM
i would never have the things that start with B on my boat either.

as far as fish go though i have fed the B thingies to groper while diving they love them. they also like cheesles.

cheers mal

Mick
09-07-2005, 06:24 AM
Last week end I saw a boat coming into port. 4 blokes on board, 3 were eating bananas. There esky was so full they could not fit a mullet down the side.
This sh1t is bananas, b - a - na - na -s I love Gwen!

NEWBY
09-07-2005, 06:38 AM
c'mon Newby, next thing you'll be telling us there is no Santa!!!
He he he he he
I reckon either Santa is a fake or I have been permanently naughty for the last 41 years cause I get stuff all for xmas. lol

basserman
09-07-2005, 06:51 AM
so it is ok to take a banana out with you as long as you take the monkey along to eat it ???

i don't belive in all these old wive tales however in saying that i can't say i have ever had a banana on board before
but if it is truly bad luck then why does the navy take them on board for the men ???
also they say women are bad luck too (one i truly don't belive in as my woman always seems to bring good fishing with her) why do they have women sailors in the navy ???

still would be great to test this one out
i will be the non banana boat anyone willing to put their boat up for haveing bananas on board ;D

Mick
09-07-2005, 08:53 AM
I think we know what the navy does with them. :-X

mini696
09-07-2005, 10:53 AM
This sh1t is bananas, b - a - na - na -s I love Gwen!

Gwen is mine... I'll be leaving my girlfriend the day Gwen asks me to marry her. LOL

seafox
09-07-2005, 11:51 AM
Hey Newby were there any bananas on board on our last trip
Caloundra can we have another story please ;D ;D ;D

Cheers
Jeff

SquareBear
10-07-2005, 04:59 PM
Have been avoiding these cursed yellow critters for years! Fact or fallacy, they are not welcome on any boat I fish in!

Having said that, have also heard of the 'jinx' powers of :

- Landing Net in the boat ???
- Camera on board ::)
- Running into water birds with your boat :o
- Changing your boat's name :-/

No wonder I spend so much time on the bank chewin' an apple! ;D ;D

SquareBear

Wyoming
10-07-2005, 05:29 PM
Stevie is full of it! #I think the gasses given off by the bananas are probably illegal and have had a greivous effect

Neil

rusco
11-07-2005, 03:32 AM
Why dont the NON BELIEVERS take some on board for the next couple of trips and maybe they'll see the light. and maybe not.
Rusco 8)

mal-laurie
11-07-2005, 05:01 AM
NIMBY.
not in my boat yobbo ;D

rusco
14-07-2005, 01:56 PM
Whats with the YOBBO? YOBBO.

Mick
15-07-2005, 03:04 AM
Gwen is mine... I'll be leaving my girlfriend the day Gwen asks me to marry her. LOL

dems sounds like fightin words mini. I'll leave my girlfriend today if Gwen even looked at me!

Sandman
15-07-2005, 04:57 AM
I have a no bananna policy on my boat as they do seem to decrease the catch! However during my times in PNG the locals used the skins as lures and often caught Maih Maih on long trips, i was completly suprised when i found this out, as the usual method is an old hesion yellow rice bag that are very effective. Keeep in mind they only catch maih maih and the odd spanish Mac. Go figure....

snappa
15-07-2005, 08:29 AM
"firetruck" :o
brought a banana onto my boat [kelloggs]i ended up selling it to get rid of the curse.....
sorry ..just couldnt resist....... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

i also had a post about the bloody fruit many pages back.... :D