PDA

View Full Version : HMAS Brisbane

Spectre
22-06-2005, 10:01 AM
For those that might be interested in this topic !!.

From what I can gather it appears that a possible date for the sinking of this ship off Mooloolaba is Sun 24 July...weather depending etc.

All boats will be kept well clear (approx. 1 nm) when she goes to the bottom, so a good pair of bino's might be handy. ;D

Hope we get to fish it (at least trolling) & not have it 'locked up' for divers only. ::);D ;D

Cheers

bugman
22-06-2005, 10:53 AM
Spectre,

I think you'll find a number of report on here about HMAS Brisbane.

The site and surrounding area will be completely off limits to all forms of fishing.

Bugman

Spectre
22-06-2005, 11:49 AM
G'day Bugman

Yes I had heard that there were plans to make it off limits to fishing, buy had not seen or heard any more more about it.

Who is going to close it .....will it be zoned a marine park perhaps???

Any luck getting the boat back on the water ??

Cheers
Phil

rusco
22-06-2005, 12:15 PM
I see the Brisbane sitting besides the Pacific Sky every day at the docks ...I think they may have decommissioned the wrong ship !
Rusco 8)

Zeeke
22-06-2005, 02:31 PM
as far as i know and have heard.. there will be a green zone droppd over the HMAS Brisbane once its sunk.. 2mile in diameter and extending to Old Woman Island (Mujimba Island) and that will have a 2mile green zone radius too.. but it'd seriously stuff up close in Fishing

Tim

Gazza
22-06-2005, 04:02 PM
Spectre,

I think you'll find a number of report on here about HMAS Brisbane.

The site and surrounding area will be completely off limits to all forms of fishing.

Bugman

As the "GNS $$-2-dive effect" comes into play..... 8)

I wonder ...h-o-w- much ,it costs for these "attractions" to be put in place , for the diving community o-n-l-y benefit.

The RFL in nsw is charged for "FADS" ,for fishos.
This seems similar.

Multi-use for fishos/divers......nahhhhhhh, let the divers pay!! [smiley=devil.gif]

bugman
23-06-2005, 03:55 AM
That's right Gazza - I think a dive on the Brisbane will be roughly $20 per person.

If I go with a commercial operator, they will pass on the charge in my daily fee. If I'm lucky enough to be able to book the one and only private berth/club mooring then I must pay the $20 per person in advance.

Given its popularity you'll have to book months in advance to secure a private dive. It's non refundable - I'll pay $80 for 4 people to dive on the Brisbane in a 2 hour block on August 3rd. If it's blowing 30knots on that day and I can't get out - I lose my money.

Bugman

mini696
23-06-2005, 05:02 AM
Thats so harsh...

Dug
24-06-2005, 12:54 PM
Is there any truth in the rumor Local member for Sunny Coast Peter Slipper will be tied to the mast as she goes down?

As they say "I'd pay to see that!" [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Spaniard_King
24-06-2005, 04:04 PM
hey Guys,

how concrete is the sinking date ???. I am an ex Brisbane member. The Missus is comin back fromSydney that day have to pik her up at 11 am on the Goldy, can't see myself being able to make all the desired appointments that day. espeacially with a 5.8m boat hangin off the back :-[

I suppose my predicament will not carry much weight, may have to rely on the weather playing it's part I suppose :'(

Garry

bugman
25-06-2005, 04:38 AM
Gary,

From what I've been told - if they don't sink her on that day it will be nearly another month before the demo guys can get another chance.

Apparantly they've got a contract overseas and will be scooting off after the 24th for a while.

I think it's focussed everyone's mind.

Brett

Dug
25-06-2005, 10:13 AM
is there a map or chart of how much fishing area she will occupy with the green zone?

DNO40
15-07-2005, 01:31 PM
Heard today that the sinking will almost certainly be on the 31st July.

Will keep you posted as news becomes available

Spaniard_King
15-07-2005, 02:10 PM
CQ...how do you know this???

I am an ex member of HMAS Brisbane, I intend to view the sinking. Can you please shed some light on this. There has been very Little published so far ::)

cheers

Garry

DaneCross
15-07-2005, 04:58 PM
My uncle was on the Brisbane as well Garry, as a diver. He's very keen to see her go down too, so it looks like my boat will be making the trip up for the event (whenever that will be??)... good excuse for me to go fishn' ;)

Spaniard_King
15-07-2005, 05:12 PM
Hi DC,

It seems very strange that there has been little said about it.

Garry

DNO40
16-07-2005, 01:51 AM
Spaniard,

This comes from Peter Maher (Secretary of the HMAS BRISBANE Association). He has been talking directly with the Premiers department....Apparently.

DNO

Ex CPOMTP