PDA

View Full Version : crabs in july

keen_2_learn
13-07-2005, 07:04 AM
:) just got back from houseboat holi on the tweed river for 4 days. I was fishing sunday night about 7.30 pm when i decided to end my fishing for the night.

As I was winding my rod in the line felt very heavy thought it was a log in the river from the recent floods down there. So I was just watching for my tackle to appear when it broke the surface. I only use 6 pound line as i mainly fish for bream and whiting to mine and my wifes surprise there's this huge muddie attached to the hook. I did not think crabs were around in july. We actually got the crab into the tender before it got the hook out of its mouth. u beauty one mud crab ( buck ) u beauty one mud crab

keen_2_learn
13-07-2005, 07:05 AM
ps i weighed it this morning 1.5 kg

Billo
13-07-2005, 08:27 AM
Thats a nice heavy Crab ! guess all that fresh water has pumped em out of their hidings in the mud ...can't wait to get out and drop pots again !

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
13-07-2005, 04:05 PM
That's a lovely crab. And as I said on a similar thread only a week ago, the pro's crab throughout winter. What does that tell us?

Cheers
Dave

Big_unit
13-07-2005, 06:46 PM
Was it full ? The couple I have caught recently have been nearly empty. The bugger in the pic didnt have a lot of meat but weighed 1.1 kg, go figure that one hey.

Cheers
James

DNO40
14-07-2005, 01:03 AM
Still getting Crabs at spot X down here in Gladstone area but rarely anything over the 160-180 mark. Size aside they are still full of tender sweet meat.

S.S.
14-07-2005, 05:42 AM
20 years ago we used to go crabbing over the warmer months only during months with the letter "r" in them. However, we've been catching good crabs up towards the end of last month. Haven't had a chance to go out since but they'll be there!! ;)

devocean
15-07-2005, 04:42 PM
Still getting them in good numbers up here at the moment. Thought I would let you guys know I was the live trout place the other day down the road and they had a crab in their that went 2.3kg. Biggest crab I have ever seen. The crab that won the Bowen Fishing Classic 2 yeras ago went 2.6kg. Biggggg Crabs.

Always interesting to catch em on the line especially when you dont have a landing net

chanquetas
16-07-2005, 07:25 PM
Crabs do not migrate or disappear in winter. They are still there. Yes you may catch them, although with less success from now until November.
The ones you may catch may seem to be "empty" or not having much meat due to this being their moulting season. This is the way crabs get bigger, by growing a new shell and then growing into it. They grow a bigger shell and eat during summer to "fill" it.
In the interests of good summer eating I wouldnt bother catching muddies until about Nov. The professionals may indeed be still chasing crabs (although I dont see Muddies at the fish markets at the moment, mainly 3spot crabs) but I wouldnt buy one.
Having said all of that there is nothing to stop you from pulling in a monster at any time of year. Just remember to "crab for the future" as well as "fish for the future".
Cheers and happy crabbing!