PDA

View Full Version : NSW rec license

INDULGENCE
15-07-2005, 05:12 AM
Hi
I am not sure if you guys have seen or heard of the argument going on in NSW re the Rec license and the by back of Pro licenses.
It would appear that Steve Starling raised the issue of the State using the rec license funds to by back pro fishing licenses only to find some pros are then buying dormant licenses with some of the $100k they recieved and continuing on in the industry.
I think they are trying to get TV exposure so we might hear all the story.

Wally

gunna
15-07-2005, 07:32 AM
Yep - a good lesson learned if they introduce anything like it in Qld. Down here a lot of the pros got big bucks - anywhere up to 200k for their licences. Then bought up dormant licences for as little as 60k and kept fishing. Starlo is trying to get it referred to the Independent Commission for Corruption.

gif
15-07-2005, 07:48 AM
They did do the same in Qld.

The Public Servants running these schemes are slow to learn

heavy sigh

Gary

bugman
15-07-2005, 09:42 AM
Not sure what you're referring to there Gary.

A license is a license - the only difference in real price is quota.

A "dormant license" as in a license that hasn't had any history on it for a while - well good luck buying that because around 400 of those are being reclaimed by fisheries at the moment at no cost. You're in trouble if you're buying one of those.

Brett

Gazza
15-07-2005, 10:51 AM
A "dormant license" as in a license that hasn't had any history on it for a while - well good luck buying that because around 400 of those are being reclaimed by fisheries at the moment at no cost.

Zero reduction in (Qld)tonnage ,for zero (Qld)cost #[smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
Then buyout(s) will reflect "fair value" imo ..... when the time comes #[smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

IF required ,in fairness to Qld Pro's #;)

theoldlegend
16-07-2005, 03:46 AM
Interesting comments all round. I've never had a problem paying for a licence in NSW, so long as I can be confident that the funds are being properly spent on their original purpose i.e, principally for the buy back of commercial licences.

If my maths are correct, just over 16% of the total expenditure for 2003/04 was spent on compliance (salaries & wages) for compliance officers. I would much rather see these costs coming out of Consolidated Revenue, leaving an extra $1.052M for other things, although having seen reports of the money spent in and around the Clarence River where I fish, I'm pretty happy.
Would be good to get to the bottom of these commercial licences though.

baldyhead
16-07-2005, 01:39 PM
WE the Qld recreational fisher folk ALREADY PAY millions upon millions of DOLLARS in TAX every time we pay our boat/trailer(S) rego / insurance, Purchase fuel or fishing gear of ANY description, purchase any boating gear including safety gear etc,purchase vehicle to tow boat etc, pay motel,c/park or Nat Park camping fees etc,etc,etc. AND the list goes on and on.
ENOUGH IS ENOUGH where will it stop?
I will never PAY a salt water rec fishing licence in QLD as long as I live!
baldy

D2
17-07-2005, 05:46 AM
Easy solution to buying a dormant licence - make all the licences non transferable and retrospective to the time of issue. (Probably too easy)

+ When the rec licences were introduced the NSW govt was insisting the funds raised were to be used on improving facilities for the rec fishos at ramps, cleaning areas, carparks, foreshore maintainence, (some talk about dredging programs on dangerous sand bars) and the list goes on. Nothing I can remember about the buy back. Then again the old memory is all awash and Bob Carr changes his mind on everything else.

(I live in Qld and do have a current NSW rec licence due to trips over the border as it's cheaper than the fine/s.)

nigelr
18-07-2005, 09:34 AM
As a NSW Recfish licence holder, my question is where are we all going to fish, following the Carr Govt.s ad hoc Marine Park aquisitions have locked us all out! Oh, I get it, charge us more and allow us less fishing! My motto, 'Give Bob the Boot!' >:(
Good on Starlo for having a go, can't help but respect the man for his efforts, wish him the the very best of luck, I think we are very lucky to have him 'in bat' for us! Cheers.