PDA

View Full Version : Preparing Crabs

cHiCo
18-07-2005, 03:02 PM
Hey people,

Uncle brought around a few muddies and just wondering on what is the best method to "open" them and cook. Cheers

Needmorerum
18-07-2005, 03:15 PM
Dead or Alive. If alive, I poke a long knife up through the back and out the front to kill them.
From there, I open the flap on the bottom at the back, shove my thumb in and tear the top off them. This takes some effort. If your pot is big enough you can put them in whole, but I like to break them apart, and clean them out. This will take the top shell off, then I break them in half down the middle, and clean all the crap out.
Then it's into the pot (at the boil) for about 12 minutes, then onto fresh white bread with some home made seafood sauce.

Hope you enjoy them and this makes sense,

Corry

nonibbles
18-07-2005, 04:30 PM
I never boil muddies unless its in the water they're caught in. Do it once and you'll taste the differnce. Best way, I believe is straight after pithing them, break 'em into four pieces (2 x nippers and two halves of body) clean in a bucket of their home water and then throw straight into a hot frypan with some chilli, olive oil and basic salsa like veges. take 'em out just after the shell is evenly red. Eat while hot. Can't be beaten ;)

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
18-07-2005, 04:58 PM
While alive, I cut mine straight down the middle by putting the shovel on their back and standing on it. Then bring a pot of seawater ( or salted fresh water to the boil. When boiling, I throw them in and cook them for 13 minutes AFTER the water has come back to the boil. Once cooked, take them out of the water, break them up and clean the back cavity out after removing the carapace.
Serve hot with cold beer!!!!
BEAUTIFUL!!!

Cheers
Dave

cHiCo
19-07-2005, 09:06 AM
Thanks fellas, got the hang of it after the first crab. They will be a nice curry tonight :D:D:D:D