PDA

View Full Version : Where to look for deck hand jobs?

markpeta
20-07-2005, 03:53 PM
Just wondering if any of you guys know where to look for deck hand jobs anywhere from Gold Coast to Sunshine Coast?

Mark

Big_unit
21-07-2005, 03:35 AM
Mooloolaba Wharf. Ask someone down there, thats all my mate did and he got a job straight away on a boat called "Ocean Mist". He had no experience.

Tin Can Bay. Ask down at the pig pens. Dont know the blokes name but his boat is called "Bay Raider".

Hope this helps.

Cheers
James

chris78
21-07-2005, 03:48 AM
There are always ads on careerone.com.au Just type in fishing in the key words search.

Good luck

Chris

-spiro-
21-07-2005, 03:52 AM
looking for a change Mark ???

Razza
21-07-2005, 04:00 AM
Hey Mark be careful what you wish for, those guys dont only go out when the weather is good. Rain hail or shine , windy lumpy whatever they go to work.
Razza

blaze
21-07-2005, 07:18 AM
been out with a pro a few times (helping a mate) and its just not fishing, no fun, just shear hard work in the wind and rain. Whats more is there was no payment (none asked for either) but a lot of deckies are paid catch percentage only.
cheers
blaze

markpeta
21-07-2005, 08:45 AM
Use to hard work own my irrigation buisness dig trenches all day but with the water restrictions that might be coming in things will go down hill rapidly. Already things have gone down 30-40% and there only talking about restrictions. Doesnt worry me weather conditions as I don't get sea sick and I am at a time in my life for a change my wife told me doesn't really matter about the money just do something you would like to do. As over the last 12 years I have done jobs that I might not like for good money as the wife stayed at home to look after the kids and there all off at school now so she is heading off to work so the pressure is not on me.

Mark

jaybee
21-07-2005, 09:06 AM
Be careful at Mooloolaba, the tuna skippers are notorius for taking on inexperienced people working them for a week or two then no pay, saying they weren't good enough. Learnt this from a seasoned deckie. try contacting Raptis or Markwell fisheries.
cheers
Joe.

markpeta
21-07-2005, 01:39 PM
1 Problem solved got a local job got a job a great one at that. Not far to travel thanks to that person who I won't name not sure if he wants to be named.

The big meeting tommorow to get out of this franchise as I start my new job on Monday ;D. Don't care anyway its the best thing for my family and me.

Mark

Fisher_Boats
21-07-2005, 01:44 PM
Mark,
Welcome to Fisher Boats ;D ;D ;D

Cheers Col

craigie
21-07-2005, 02:19 PM
Mark,

Can you please build me a 6m "Reef Special" just like col's ;D

with all Spiro's marks punched into the GPS ;D ;D

Cheers
Craig.

p.s. Col, when is your next demo/open day 8)

devocean
21-07-2005, 02:43 PM
Mark think about the prospect of getting paid in boat form, I could handle that.

markpeta
21-07-2005, 03:40 PM
Hey Col see I only just joined your company and the orders are rolling in. ;D

Sportfish_5
21-07-2005, 04:13 PM
Mark - I was a bit worried about that subject title when I first read it (Maybe I spend too much time on other hmm dodgy websites #:-X) #;D You could have got a few interesting offers #:o :o

Col - Do your renumeration packages come with company boats #;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers

Greg

chemmy
21-07-2005, 07:31 PM
good on ya mark getting a job as a boat builder what more could you ask for and it's close to home to congrats i only hope iget a job like that one day

and that title is a bit funny ay at first i didn't see deck ;D ;D

bazzaman
22-07-2005, 04:08 AM
Well done mark!!! I was thinking about doing the same thing. Bit of Career change. I was going to tell ya that theres heaps of boats here off Cairns screaming out for deckhands....Heaps in the papers, only prob is that they go to sea for mnths at a time. Would be great experience but imagine all the great fishn time youd miss out on.

i wanted to get into the fishn industry in the retail sector as ive got mangement skills and from working in a big company not sure what itd be like working for a smaller company again! Would be nice though but seem to have to wait till someone dies to get into the place!!

Shane