PDA

View Full Version : Ausfish Meritorious Award

devocean
15-07-2005, 05:33 PM
I reckon every year all members should have the chance to enter a single fish into a comp run on Ausfish. There will be a deadline on when entries close. All entries must include a photo of the chosen fish as well as weight.

The moderators can decide on which fish wins the comp or at least decide on a selection of ten fish and we can have a poll.
Ill even donate the trophy. If anyone else has any ideas or thinks this is worth a go please have a say.

Cheers Devo

Billo
15-07-2005, 05:37 PM
TOP IDEA .....maybe go further , and do a seasonal trophy ....winter and summer ?

Needmorerum
15-07-2005, 05:41 PM
Yeah, sounds like a good idea to me.

Corry

Big_unit
15-07-2005, 05:47 PM
Yeah why not after all we are members of a big fishing club. I really like the idea. Probably have to have some sections though eg; Inside / Outside or Estuary / Beach / Reef. Dont want too many sections or it will get too confusing. A good rule would be 1 monthly entry per member. How do you keep it honest though ? Maybe make it a monthly photo comp for each section with the monthly winners going head to head for a yearly prize.

Cheers
James

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
15-07-2005, 06:58 PM
I also think that it is a great idea. :D How would a photo prove the authenticity of the fisho? Perhaps a weigh in station ie: tackle shop or the like verification. And I think estuary, beach and offshore would be a good three category contest. Whatever the majority decide will be fine by me.

Good onya Devocean ;)

Dave

Volvo
15-07-2005, 07:06 PM
Have ta say it would have to be sumthin akin to an online comp specifying a certain species , taking into account some peoples that do not have the luxury of owning a Boat or bein able to get out far ie; "Offshore" where some of the bigger species may lurk..Whatcha reckon?? :-/..
Or ??? top prize going fer who shows most ambition or keeness to participate??? :-/..
Maybe some of the Bussinuscontributers can throw in a prize of sorts ::)..
Just need to draw up a set of Rules..
By the way this idea aint new ey, been tried on other sites n worked nicely :)..
Cheers

willbarra
15-07-2005, 11:31 PM
im in, does carlton draught sponser ausfish. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

DNO40
16-07-2005, 01:44 AM
I'm for it. I think it will be just another great chapter in AUSFISH

DaneCross
16-07-2005, 06:23 AM
Yep, great idea (as was the River to Mud comp held last week). A bit of friendly competition always adds a bit to the experience.
My spin on the idea;
*At the beginning of each month a particular species is nominated giving people the month to head out and chase that species with members posting their prize catch before the end of the month.
*To avoid dishonesty, a nominated object (e.g. $1 coin, 10c coin, spool of line, a clothes peg) must be photographed along-side the fish, with the object changing each month.
*As Volvo said, there needs to be 'equal opportunity'. Geographical location will have to come into consideration, not everyone will have the opportunity to enter the comp each month because of seasonal difference, accessiblity, etc. This will need to be taken into account when nominating the monthly species. I'm imagining one month a southern inshore species (eg bream), next month a northern inshore species (eg mangrove jack), the next month a southern offshore species (eg pearl pearch), the next month a northern offshore species (eg coral trout), the next month a northern freshwater species (eg barra), the next month a southern freshwater species (eg bass). And then repeat the cycle with different species.
*Also, we can't expect the same people/companies to continue to donate prizes without recieving anything in return. Perhaps a bit of corporate sponsorship or an 'entry fee' should be arranged to cover prizes.
I guess the other option is to have more 'River to Mud's' around the place for different species and different locations. I don't know why, but this idea appeals to me. I'm all for it and will be willing to help out in any way.
Dane

hundgie
16-07-2005, 07:15 AM
Sounds like ia good idea there fellas,why dont you put line class into it as well,still just have one or two awards but insted of the best fish have acombination of best fish on lightest line which would make it a little more sporting for those who dont have acsess to offshore and deepsea fishing.As far as honesty goes those who want to cheat are only kidding them selves and will always know deep down inside that all they will ever be is a looser.

NeilD
16-07-2005, 08:56 AM
I would not like the line class to come into the equation as it could turn into an ANSA type debacle with people trying to bore fish to death on a cobweb.
I would like catch and release to be still allowed. Perhaps the comp should be based on the overall score taking into account the fish, location and technique. A nice Jack from a creek could outscore a fair Red from the reef.
I for one think a photo is enough and if some low life wants to cheat then so be it. Keep it open to all species and locations and not too serious.

Neil

peabow
16-07-2005, 10:20 AM
yep i am in for that good fun but will you do when i take it all out all the time.! ( ha ha ha ha ha ) not like that will be on the go.

DR
16-07-2005, 10:32 AM
if it is all in good fun, you don't need prizes or sponsorsother than ausfish..
Ausfish could have a certificate on file which could be filled out & downloaded by the monthly winner.
it could state name, month & species, with maybe a pic of the fish??

that way cheats,(if there is any on ausfish) couldn't be bothered because there is no monetary gain, only prestige [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

peabow
16-07-2005, 10:38 AM
thats the go D.R just good fun like most things thay start to go to over the top if you dont

NQCairns
16-07-2005, 11:06 AM
Yep it's a good idea. leave tackle classes out of it, I like idea of the photo including something promenently held with the fish.
Another idea is instead of a species nominated it could be a Genus instead to help cut down the geographical divide, even hard to find/catch or rare fish could be included somehow. Also each round the fish could be nominated to fall within a specifc known slot size for entry or a near specific single length. To mahe it a bit more of a competition and not a species photo fest. cheers nq

saphire
16-07-2005, 12:45 PM
Excellent Idea.
Especially since many of us have to work on the weekend and for many reasons cant attend planned competition days.
I suprised it hasnt already happened.
saphire.

devocean
16-07-2005, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.
I reckon keeping it as simple as possible would be the best option. 3 categories Inshore estuary offshore. Like the peg idea. Once a month would be the go as well. I reckon we will aim for the 1 August. Hopefully the moderators can sticky topic the idea as well and we will keep it in Saltwater Photos. Everyone happy with that?

ba229
16-07-2005, 01:27 PM
Everyone happy with that?

So is it the biggest fish wins?
or the best photo? or the prettiest looking fish?
Is it by species each month?
Is it only going to be enjoyable for Qld fisherpersons?(remember we all have different species seasons)

Who is the judge of the winner? (member poll I take it). Just remember member polls have been rigged before by getting all your mates to vote for you (and I have no mates :-) )

Still plenty of time to iron it out though.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
16-07-2005, 01:37 PM
im in, does carlton draught sponser ausfish. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

shouldn't the idea be to reward the winner ....

and any fish caught from an OC is banned ...

devocean
16-07-2005, 01:47 PM
Common sense will prevail and I dont think it will be the biggest fish. Most guys on here recognise a good fish from a good location on decent gear is going to outdo some huge fish on 120lb handline. I just dont want it to get get to technical. Maybe a panel of Ausfish members would be the best option. Some of the more experienced members from each area could be used.

Volvo
16-07-2005, 02:59 PM
Me reckons the prize/award should based on merit n effort ie; Time n effort put into catching particular species..Yarn accompanied by catch ..And offcourse a reasonable piccie accompanying said catch :)..
Something also attached to Pic showing date of catch (no old Pics ;D)..
Judges then decide on who wins...
I nominate Derek fer first Judge :o :-X...
Whatcha's reckon??..

devocean
16-07-2005, 03:09 PM
What about Agnes Jack, Webby, Jaybee as judges

mal-laurie
16-07-2005, 04:02 PM
i agree with keeping it as simple as possilbe.

what about nominating a species and size before you catch it, the closest for the month wins a certificate and maybe a pic of themselves and the fish on the front page of this site.

their pic could be put up at 12noon to 2pm daily and be called "our legend in their own lunchtime"

cheers mal

Big_unit
16-07-2005, 04:14 PM
Why do the Judges all have to be old people ??? lol. ;) ;D

I reckon have a Judges panel say 5 Judges which are judging this round, then 5 new judges for the next round.

You need a standard item to be included in picture.

1 entry per member per month. I dont think you should make it a particular species, just what ever the member catches with 1 entry per section ( Estuary, Beach, Offshore. ) with Date, Location & Weight recorded with the picture. Entry must be submitted to the Ausfish Fishing Comp thread. Have 1st, 2nd, 3rd & so on depending on amount of entries in a class. Winners posted on an Honour Board and recieve a certificate.

Thats my spin on this.

Cheers
James

Dug
16-07-2005, 04:56 PM
Dumb idea! How about a competition I had some chance of winning ;D ;D ;D

Can we have a competition for the best looking fishing buddy? ;)

Cheers Doug

Volvo
16-07-2005, 05:21 PM
Nup ya too ugly 8)...

ba229
16-07-2005, 06:04 PM
Why do the Judges all have to be old people ??? James
Good point. just because they are mods or have 10,000 posts doesn't make them the obvious judges

Burley_Boy
17-07-2005, 06:06 AM
There are plenty of technical comps so I agree that a catch of the month comp that is subjectively decided by some respectable chaps like Webby, Nugget, Mono, Greg Lemprech and our own favourite camp oven cook, for instance.
That means weigh ins are not necessary but it would be great to see size comparison as size does matter ;D
We would enter via a monthly post and the prize is an honour and the winning post could be a separate locked thread that just shows the winning entry with justification of the judges.
Subjective because a 5yo catching a Mangrove Jack with bread on a handline outside a campsite might be more of a catch of the month than a Monster Amberjack off the 50's.
Keep it simple to get it going and you can always complicate it a bit later on.

agnes_jack
17-07-2005, 07:33 AM
Great Idea Devo!!
All sounds good, I agree that it should be kept simple.
I would also agree that rather than the biggest fish, that it be judged on "the merit of the catch" As Burley Boy said.

Big Unit
What do you mean "old", what are you trying to say ??? ;D ;D ;D

Regards, Tony ;D

Big_unit
17-07-2005, 08:52 AM
Great Idea Devo!!
All sounds good, I agree that it should be kept simple.
I would also agree that rather than the biggest fish, that it be judged on "the merit of the catch" As Burley Boy said.

Big Unit
What do you mean "old", what are you trying to say ??? # ;D ;D ;D

Regards, Tony ;D

Nothing. Are you implying that you may be past it or reached your used by date or perhaps its just the smell ??? lol ;)

I do think it would be a good opportunity to give some of the younger guys a chance to give their opinions and decisions in a judging role.

I agree it shouldnt be the biggest fish however I dont think it should be a specified species, members should be allowed to enter any species they catch that month. It gives a better variety and more opportunities for members to qualify each round. Remembering that 1 entry per member per month per class, so as not to swamp the competition with 1 member entering 10 times in a class that month.

Cheers
James

BladeRunner
17-07-2005, 09:54 AM
You should all come up to the BoyneTannum Hook-Up on the Queens birthday weekend. We already have An Aushfish comp going in our second year now.Over all length of the fish, this year was Sweetlip. Streakers team won the booty.
And we are pretty laid back in the judging department. Ask Big E ?
Keep it simple
Blade [smiley=bandana.gif]

Streaker have you still got the offical measuering tape ? [smiley=laola.gif]

devocean
18-07-2005, 01:19 PM
Bowen Wet weekend coming up now thats a real fishing comp.
Okay so far we have
1. Merit Competition
2. Judges: Moderators
3. Occurs every month and decided on the last day of the month
4. 3rd last day of month is when last entry can be posted.
5. Post will be in Saltwater photos- however this does not mean a frshwater fish cant win.
6. Must be photgraphed with something with shows actual size (brag mat would be ideal)

How am I going is this okay so far?

In response to certain persons response about judges being old with heaps of posts, I think it shows these peoples dedication to this site as well as their knowledge on fishing.

Needmorerum
18-07-2005, 03:25 PM
Well, I reckon I should get something for the next fish I catch, I'm currently running at around $38000 a kilo, surely this shows dedication.

Corry

SURF_SNIPER
18-07-2005, 03:46 PM
sounds like a top idea fellas, id be in on it for sure.

beach,reef,and estuary divivisons, 1 pic per month, any species and ya must nominate your division when posting ya pic. no need to get technical with line classes etc. perhaps a sugested species in each division could be nominated each month??

maybe you could win a ausfish cap or something??

would be great to get this up and running.

basserman
18-07-2005, 05:28 PM
I reckon that it should just be a nice and simple photo comp
any spicies any location voted by some mebers each month on what they think is the best photo and short write up each mounth that way it could be a brillent reef trip, of a great marlin, someones PB bass or even one of our kids first fish ;)

Bosunsmate
18-07-2005, 06:51 PM
So long as the KISS principle and FUN are the main ingredients it will be great.......Hmmm now I gotta actually catch something hey.....not as easy as it sounds....... :'(

Brett_Hoskin
18-07-2005, 07:21 PM
It will be a waste of time because I will win.

Just send me the prize now.

DaneCross
19-07-2005, 08:08 AM
From the lack of response from Ausfish &/or Moderators its looking apparent that they're not too interested. The people are speaking here guys, your response?

chemmy
19-07-2005, 12:51 PM
i recon it is yet another great idea

ba229
19-07-2005, 01:08 PM
Okay so far we have
2. Judges: Moderators

From the lack of response from Ausfish &/or Moderators its looking apparent that they're not too interested.

lol DC I was thinking along the same lines. Except I was wonder whether anyone has actually asked them if they would like the added job of judging.

imported_admin
19-07-2005, 02:40 PM
Hi

Sorry I haven't posted earlier, been tied up doing a course over the last 4 days.

Some great ideas have been posted.

Rather than open up a new section or have the pics just posted in the Saltwater section, why not just have all pics that are posted that month in either section be eligible.

As long as they had a copy of that months item or printout pic in the pic then they would be considered. I could easily put up a different graphic each month that has to be printed out and photographed with the fish.

Would take a week or two to organise but maybe it could be started on the 1st of August or Sept. I am fairly busy over the next two weeks so maybe Sept, but will see how things go.

Your suggestions and feedback are most welcome.

Burley_Boy
19-07-2005, 02:44 PM
You're possibly watering down the comp and loading up the workload of judges by saying once a month. Maybe once every second month should be considered.
Just a thought and I'm not trying to complicate matter KISS ;D

Derek Bullock
19-07-2005, 04:32 PM
I'm watching. # ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I dont know how you can have an effective competition based on a photo. #The better photographers will present an average fish looking fantastic. #In other words it will end up being a competition based on the photograph and not the fish.

So I am not convinced it will work. Yet ::) ::)

Derek

Needmorerum
19-07-2005, 05:20 PM
Yeah, I don't fully understand, what is the requirements of a winner. Is it size, the amound of 'truth' put into the story, or the supposed 'effort' put into the catch.
I think it would be great to have some form of friendly banter going, and I am willing to help out in any way possible, just not full bottle on what is required.
To keep it easier still, maybe we could make it over a number of months, have an estuary, reef, palagic, and freshwater categories, no particular fish, but size is it. Maybe Palagic needs to be broken into Marlin, and then others like Mack and GT's.

Oh sh!te, reading over this again, I've really made it harder, not easier, oh well, I might just shut up now and wait until I understand what others are suggesting I think. Time for another rum.

Corry

ba229
19-07-2005, 05:49 PM
Now we are getting somewhere :-)

The owner and a mod have expressed some sort of interest, which is a great foundation.

Now.... What is the criteria for selection of a winner?

Devocean I have read elsewhere that you are a teacher. Here in NSW, teachers are now accountable to their assessments through marking criteria. Can something like this apply. (to the rest of you it means you get certain marks for achieving differing levels of correctness :-) )

If its worth doing, and its going to be "all inclusive", it needs to be fair and just for all members. Easier said than done I know.

We now have a good footing to create something that we can all enjoy.

Go forward :-)

Alex

NeilD
20-07-2005, 05:03 AM
I think this is great. Photo and story should be part of it. The fact of the matter is that Ausfish will be better if we do take a little more time to capture our fish on camera properly. I do not think that our Judges will be swayed by subtle lighting changes or fancy photographic techniques. Bring it on but after August as I am still on crutches for the next few weeks and can't go fishing at all. [smiley=wut.gif][smiley=wut.gif]

Neil

basserman
20-07-2005, 05:58 AM
yeh as i said before i think it should be more related to the effort and the fisherman
not sure qulity of the pic should even really come into it that much but i would like to see a comp of sort where a kids first fish could win over some marlin or where someone who had the trip of a lifetime copuld win over someone who goes out and targets bass every weekend
however if someone does catch a huge snapper they should also win
something along those lines
so where it is more a story and photo thing that is open to everyone and everyfish ;D
still think the ider is tops and doesn't need prizes the bragging rights should be prize enoght ;D

DaneCross
20-07-2005, 06:20 AM
Devocean I have read elsewhere that you are a teacher. Here in NSW, teachers are now accountable to their assessments through marking criteria. Can something like this apply. (to the rest of you it means you get certain marks for achieving differing levels of correctness :-) )
Alex, the marking criteria has to reflect the subject syllabus. So if you write up a syllabus corresponding to the correct capture methods of each species we can then write a marking criteria that can be used to assess each capture ::) ;D ;D (Happy Birthday by the way :))

What about a points system like what fishing clubs have, where a certain weight/size of a particular species corresponds to a certain number of points. In this case, for example, a whiting can go up against a snapper, where a 650gm whiting could outscore a 4kg snapper. Could someone in a fishing club elaborate on this? Surf_Sniper? Jeremy?
DC

Girella
20-07-2005, 06:20 AM
May I suggest two awards. One for the best fishing report with pics and another for the best report without pics.

devocean
20-07-2005, 12:29 PM
Sounds good Mr Ausfish

devocean
20-07-2005, 12:31 PM
ba229 lets get two things right
First NSW teachers are crap and never compare to queensland teachers
Second never mix fishing with work dangerous option because you know which one will win in the end . Thats why I stoppedfishing before work. As for criteria the old ule simple is best is gold

Fishinmishin
20-07-2005, 01:25 PM
Just a thought [smiley=idea.gif]......this comp should be pretty laid back in my opinion. How about keeping it simple by using the saltwater secion. Each month there can be two topics locked in by moderators. One which targets the nominated species for the month (from todies to marlin), and the other which is an open category for the month (from another species to a pic of the horizon to a funny pic). The votes should be cast for which pic you like best, not the biggest or hardest caught fish. If you think a 6 year old holding their first ever 20cm bream should beat one of Brian's 50cm bream, then vote that way. I do think that the story that goes with the pic should be considered to even the odds up for novices and land based fishos, but not the strong decision making tool (otherwise I'm gonna say I landed 20kg LTs on 4lb line ::)).
I recon that we post the pic we want to enter with a small description and printout as Steve mentioned, but attach a link to the main story which has probably been written in full in the reports or general sections (eg. My first catch of whiting from the pine river- http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/board/YaBB.cgi?board=Reports;action=display;num=11216958 83#). That way it doesn't congest the competition with too many pics or info and allows voters to breeze through pics or short stories and decide which ones they want to explore further as it may win their vote.
I DO strongly beleive that by having the comp. in the saltwater pic section and using the 'poll function' (but still open to freshies), it allows EVERY MEMBER to cast their vote once. By only using a couple people or mods, we are only building the result using a couple opinions and more involvment be members should create more interest. Sure that some people will vote for their post, but I do think that we should state that you SHOULDN'T [smiley=rifle.gif] [smiley=thumbsdown.gif].
Entries can be posted from the start to the end of the month, and voting for the first week of the next month. As for prizes or trophies, I've already typed too much so think you all have your ideas. I haven't read this whole topic yet so I hope I'm not just repeating what has already been said :-/.
Finally, the comp shouldn't start until my new rig is ready....two more weeks ??? [smiley=angryfire.gif] [smiley=wut.gif]. Just my opinion.
Cheers, Jay :)

bidkev
20-07-2005, 01:51 PM
If there isn't a best catfish section I'm not playing ;D

The Verminator

mal-laurie
20-07-2005, 03:53 PM
how about best toadie.

cheers mal

Needmorerum
20-07-2005, 05:11 PM
So how do we get this started? Can we get a descriptive post created in the Saltwater Section, and have a Mod put a sticky on it, and then say it starts as of the first of August?
Is everyone happy with Jay's idea above. This would mean it is your discretion as to which you wish to vote for, and the time period is a calendar month, with voting the first 7 days of the following month. Need to work out how to 'headswell' the winner.
Abreviated details and a single piccy within the post, and a link to a more detailed story in another post. My thoughts are that the Award post should be in the reports section, as this isn't bias towards fresh or salt, and the post is really a report. More detailed stories can be in the same section, just as another post.

Thoughts

Corry

devocean
21-07-2005, 02:58 PM
As the person who started this I hope to end it right now.

The comp will be run in saltwater photos section (as this does not shift as much as other sections) Hopefully moderatores will sticky topic them for us

I do belive the comp should be open to all species not target species as we all live in different areas.

Poll votes will be used to decide the best fish

Pictures will be used as main decision making tool with something to show size

Prize will be simple- the fact that you have won this prestigious award and you may boast for a month that you know all on this forum

The first comp will begin on the 1 August. I will post the topic under Ausfish Meritorious Award in Saltwater Photos on this date.

Comp will close 3 days before the end of the month.

Happy fishing

ba229
21-07-2005, 03:38 PM
There you are.

You have been told.

Needmorerum
21-07-2005, 04:16 PM
Hmmm, haven't we, guess we just sit back, bite out tongue's and plot our plan for success.

matthill80
21-07-2005, 06:14 PM
so i guess we have a new mod ay? self promoted? :-X

adrian
22-07-2005, 06:55 AM
maybe the photo should have an ausfish sticker in it for scale

Anzac

DaneCross
22-07-2005, 07:42 AM
Maybe Ausfish could sell an official competition ruler that the fish must be pictured on... there you go Mr Brown, that could be a way of encouraging 'donations' to this wonderful site we call Ausfish ;) ;D