PDA

View Full Version : Advice on backs and boats

Brejen
20-07-2005, 04:18 PM
My old man (Maztez) has been offshore fishing with me since i can remember and has tought me most of what i know.
Unfortunatley as of late the old back and Kidneys have been giving him all hell out on the water. Every little hole is giving trouble to the extent that we are being restricted in our travelling.
He has tried the stern seats that are in the Haines, also the floor, and hasn't helped all that much. I have the deluxe bucket Captains chair and are very comfortable. He has found that if he sits in the chair and pushes back into it off the foot rests this helps a little.
Once we stop he is fishin as good as ever but don't want him to stop the big runs with me. Thought some of you might have a good idea or even have this happen to you and have a remedy....
Some would say leave him at home but thats not what i want to hear. Don't want to loose the best deckie i have. ;) Most of all don't want my old man hurting.. Any help will be appreciated.
Brett
And Terry (Maztez)

skippa
20-07-2005, 04:33 PM
G'Day Brett,

My fishing buddy has the same problem. Whenever the going gets rough he heads straight for the back of the boat and braces himself in the corner. Usually loads himself up on his pain killers too (whatever they are?) When I rode Motocross the Kidney belt was my best friend, maybe that would help too.

Not much help I know. Good luck.

Cheers,
Tony # 8)
PS you could also try to keep 'Mistress' below 50mph too #::)

Needmorerum
20-07-2005, 04:52 PM
Hey Brett, not sure if it is an option, but the Pilot boat here in Gladdy is fitted out with Air Shock seats. Similar to what is mounted in most Semi's. Having ridden on one of these, they take the shock out of just about everything. We had them at my last place of work in custom made industrial trucks, and you could jump a gutter and not feel a thing. They had no suspension and solid rubber tyres too.
Not sure on cost, wouldn't be cheap I wouldn't think, but I know when the day comes that my old man is unable to go out for reasons such as this, cost isn't and issue when it comes to quality of life, or what's left of it.

Hope this helps,
Corry

Brejen
20-07-2005, 04:57 PM
Tony
Thanks mate i also thought of the kidney belt have one here from rodeoing so will get him to try it. Mate the poor MISTRESS is hardly running on a plane when Dads in it hense the fuel extra fuel consumption. When she's rough it's a bloody long run home. The run, the fuel the whole lots not really worring me it's really the fact the old boy is really hurting out there, but loves it so much just keeps going.
Brett
Mate will PM you re Monday

Brejen
20-07-2005, 05:09 PM
Corry
Thanks for that. Have heard about these as well. Will have to track some down and get prices etc. Thought that i read somewhere that you can get just the pedestals. Only need the one as l don't sit when driving.
Price, would suspect they aren't at all cheap but mate as you say its all about life. The father in law just got new one for his truck think it cost about 650 from memory,supose the marine ones are even dearer. My 8yr old has now become a regular on the offshore trips and the three generations on board makes you not care if you catch that full esky or not, Always better if you do thou ::) .
Brett

straddie
20-07-2005, 05:10 PM
Hi Brejen, maybe a trip to a decent chiropractor if you can find one local. Hopefully might be as simple as a few times at the bone cracker and some exercise to strengthen his back a bit.

Other than that cutting the speed a bit, doing a little tacking to avoid punching waves and get him down the stern.

Ok this next one is just guessing but might be worth a try.
Try him down the back in a comfy chair facing the stern. Facing forward, inertia allows your body to come forward off the backrest then as you come down the weight is taken on the spine, facing the stern should actually push him into the cushioning and take his weight more over his body.

saphire
20-07-2005, 05:52 PM
Hello Brejen,
Try everything until you find something that works. Find a massage therapist. This can have great results especially when aromatherapy is used as well. Be careful in your choice of clinician here. Make sure your therapist is qualified to treat back pain.
Physiotherapist can also give great practicle advice with regard to aids that may be used to make the trips on the boat easier. They can also prescibe exercises to help him maintain mobility and strength.
The important thing here is to keep searching and trying new ways until you find something that works for your dad.
All the best,
saphire.

Fishinmishin
20-07-2005, 06:35 PM
Phisio treatments and JD seem to work for me ;). Good luck.
Cheers, Jay

Burley_Boy
20-07-2005, 07:02 PM
Can't help you Brett, little chinese girl walking on your back never seems to hurt but a bugger of a problem. Failing that a bungee rope from the rocket launchers!...Maybe a Cruise Craft 625 would help, worth a shot anyway.
Seriously mate, good luck, maybe an anti inflamatory/painkiller.
let us know how you go.

seabug
20-07-2005, 09:58 PM
Hi Brett+Terry,
I have the same trouble,sore back really takes the fun out of an offshore trip.
I think the answer is a pedestal seat suspension
Models to fit up to 100kg
and heavy duty up to 120 kg.

they fit both 75mm+80mm pedestals

I tried flopping backwards into one at the Melb.Boat show a couple of years back,I could not shock my back at all

I hope to be able to order a new boat soon and it will certainly have these seat suspension.

Do not think they allow adverts here,but if you want further details inbox /message me and I will supply contact info.

Regards
Seabug

finga64
21-07-2005, 03:48 AM
My dad has the same problem and he finds it better standing and holding onto the canopy for support.
My brother made some suspension seats out of heavy duty office chair struts. They have a taper fiiting on the bottom so if they stuff up it's a pull out and fit a new one. Bases and tops were custom made out of aluminium. Strut themselves were about $20 if I remember correct.
Hope you find a solution.

Heath
21-07-2005, 07:05 AM
Corry
Thanks for that. Have heard about these as well. Will have to track some down and get prices etc. Thought that i read somewhere that you can get just the pedestals. Only need the one as l don't sit when driving.
Price, would suspect they aren't at all cheap but mate as you say its all about life. The father in law just got new one for his truck think it cost about 650 from memory,supose the marine ones are even dearer. My 8yr old has now become a regular on the offshore trips and the three generations on board makes you not care if you catch that full esky or not, Always better if you do thou ::) .
Brett

In the same boat as you Brett. 3 generations fishing all together makes a great day on the water. Yahoo's all round when my 4yo, "Baitcatcher" as he likes to be called pulls anything with fins over side. My oldman used to suffer from a sore back & kidneys as well. We bought a bigger boat (Cruise Craft 600 Explorer) ;D No such problems now. But as the others say, they don't get any younger & anything spent on keeping them old fellas on the water is money well spent.

Do you stand while travelling? Taking the shock with his knee's might save his back a bit & a kidney harness may also help.

bidkev
21-07-2005, 06:32 PM
Hi Brett,

I think most of what I was gonna say has been said but here goes anyway.

I have a killer of a back at times due to one disc being missing ........Put it down to always carrying a bloody big pack in my Service and mountaineering days.

Anyway, what works for me. I stand when I'm motoring if it's lumpy and take the jarring by being flexible at the knees. If dad ain't so good on his legs either then that one's out.

The kidney belts work for some by preventing movement that may cause pain but sometimes you need to bend to alleviate the pain and kidney belts restrict this.

Depending on the cause of the problem, if it's a shattered disc and the vertabrae are rubbing together, or if it's a "pinched nerve" then sitting and leaning forward arches and separates the vertabrae so that they're less likely to rub. If you've got the floor space then I find those fold up camping chairs are as good as any when you're actually fishing but can be unstable when motoring.

I also take Bufren before I go out. Most pain is caused by swelling and if you've already got Bufren (Ibuprofen) inside you, then they're on your case the moment the back starts playing up.

Hope this helps

cheers

kev

Brejen
21-07-2005, 06:41 PM
Thanks guys and gals on the advice and words for the old man.

Straddie. The speed is not the problem as we usually only poke along unless the swell is nil. And this still isn't helping, probably making it worse as harder to keep the boat on that sweet running plane. Will give the reverse theory a go and let you know the out come.

Sapphire. Will definatly be trying everything we can for sure. Not to sure about the massage therapist will never get out of the therapists office let alone the back out in the boat ::) . Seriously tho will pass on all the replys to him and will be trying them all. Actually i think he would more than likely check these out himself next time he logs on.

Fishinmishin. Mate be a interseting trip you and the old man out there, backs stuffed on the JD. Bloody scarry that [smiley=freak.gif] [smiley=worried2.gif][smiley=wreck.gif] [smiley=worried2.gif] [smiley=freak.gif]. ;D ;D

B/B 625 Cruise craft hey. I was thinking of telling him we need the 2400 Kevlacat but hey the Cruise craft why not will let him know your wise wise words. ;D ;D. Oh the little chinese girl bit, mate might just leave that alone might do his back more harm ::)

Seabug will definatly send you mail..

Finga very interested in the seat your brother has made. My best mate owns his own steel fabrication company and could probably do us something as well. Any chance of some pics for an idea on what to look at.

Heath: Mate it's the best time for sure. Last trip out the young bloke tells me he needs his own TLD and Rod and would be good if he could have it for the next trip ::) . Priceless.... For as far back as I can remember my Grandad and my Dad and I have been fishing offshore always out from the sunny coast. My Grandad had his last offshore trip with us on our yearly trip to DI 3yrs back. It pains him to see us going out but pains him more if he where to come and just couldn't do it. Would love to get the 4 of us out for one trip.. About that Bigger boat will have to tell him this is what we really need ;D ;D . At the moment neither of us are in a position for this option, maybe later in the year tho....

Again thanks all..... Will not be giving up at all life's to short...
Brett

Brejen
21-07-2005, 06:51 PM
Kingtin Thanks bloke will pass on all the info to the old boy. Will try to get out this weekend and try the kidney belt and a couple of the other ideas as well. His knees aren't the best from years of horse ridding etc. Will get Dad to ask his Doc about some tablets as he is on blood pills etc and suppose has to be carefull what pills he has, I've got some top painkillers but these would probably kill him.....

Wonder how he'd go laying in on the bunk, any thoughts from anyone??
Brett

maztez
22-07-2005, 02:57 AM
Hi all would like to thank brett for asking and all who tendered ideas to assist me in controlling a degenerating body ..suppose it come as one starts to move up in years however i do love my fishing and being with my 2 best mates.I think I may have solved the problem (a gut full of JD on the bunk with a nice young oriental massuer then onto my new gas powered seat to complete the days fishing. on a serious note thanks guys for the advice will try them all ...regards MAZTEZ (terry)

Needmorerum
22-07-2005, 03:25 PM
Maztez (Terry), be sure to keep us informed on how things go, it's good to see that your not going to take the easy way out and quit.
Remember, Growing old is mandatory, Growing up optional.

Corry

Dodgy_Back
22-07-2005, 04:51 PM
HI Brett
Hope I'm not too late for my two bobs worth.
From experiance , tell your old man to go to the doctor, to make sure nothing too serious then have a chat about pain killers so he can function. My doctor and pain management course would rather me have the good old panadols than the heavy stuff I use at times. It is amazing what a few panadols can do to subdue a bad back, but you have to keep them up . and to of course your Docs orders.
As to seats ,I have a seat called a soft rider it's just a comfy seat on a gas pedestal but it does take some jarring out.
I feel for your old Man, a bad back will ruin a days fishing
Again ,see his doctor get some advice on pain management Mick

GES
22-07-2005, 05:57 PM
MAZTEZ

I'm an old bugger too. I can sympathise with you about the bad back thing. Mine was so bad I had to have a spinal fusion done a few years ago. Not a nice option and it takes 12 months to get over the operation but I can do anything now, including rough water travel in my boat and I don't have any problems anymore. In fact it was so successful I forget that I ever had the problem. I have not tried the horizontal oriental massuer trick you mentioned so can't shed any light on how your back might stand up to that treatment after a spinal fusion. ;D

GES

bidkev
22-07-2005, 06:07 PM
Hi Ges,

Glad to hear that the spinal fusion sorted you out. My doc said that may be an option (for me) but that he wasn't too keen on invasive surgery if I could manage without. He said that fusion would occur naturally once a disc had gone but may take a long time and that although there would be less pain, there would also be a likelihood of less mobility ie able to twist round etc. Can you tell me if you have lost any "manouverability since the fusion?

At the moment I seem to be on tenterhooks just waiting for it to go again and I'm beginning to think that fusion may be the best option rather than keep going through spells where I'm laid up.

cheers

kev

zulu
23-07-2005, 02:49 AM
G'Day Terry ,Brett, I think you have struck a real chord, with the fellow Ausfisher's. I think its great that you fish as a family. Probably like alot of people on this site, wish I could get the old man to going with fishing me.[ lives too far away and does not like the bumpy stuff]. I installed a couple of gas filled seat pedestals in my boat a couple of years ago. They cost around $220 where easy to install, they have the advantage of adustment up and down and a slide seat. The seats, are good still a bit ''bouncey''. When I compared them to truck suspension seat bases,[around $1000] and I would still be worried about them corroding. Like most people I spend most of the time standing up when offshore anyway. Hope you find a solution,
cheers Troy

gogecko
23-07-2005, 06:35 AM
What about a custom made lower back brace? A mate of mine needed one after his rugby days were over. Its something like a girdle. MAde of hard plastic at the rear, and padded well, lace up at the front. Cant even see it once you put a shirt on, and its not expensive.
A sports physio would know where to get one.

GES
23-07-2005, 11:06 AM
Kingtin

See your PMs

GES

maztez
24-07-2005, 07:50 AM
Seabug- Thanks for the PM. I don't have enough posts to pm you back but thanks. Have passed the info onto Brett to chase up on the computer for me ( faster).

Dodgy_back Mate will look into those seats as well. Thanks for your input appreciate it.

Zulu- Troy thanks for the photo. Any chance of the brand name for me to chase up. They look the goods and price sounds good as well.

Thanks again everyone really appreciate the response, and help in this matter really want to try and overcome it.
Terry

gawby
24-07-2005, 03:32 PM
Hey Tez, sorry to hear about your bad back. Problem from your horse days hey. [smiley=cowboy.gif] [smiley=cowboy.gif]Got thrown once to often. Just be careful when riding Maz you dont dig the spurs in and get bucked off. ;D ;D ;D. I realy do feel for you Tez, I realy do. The only advise i can give you is ride em cowboy. [smiley=cowboy.gif] [smiley=help.gif]
[smiley=oops.gif]

Your ever loving sons father in law

gawby