PDA

View Full Version : Taught by birds

Mick
28-07-2005, 08:32 AM
Um, I don't want to sound like a crazy man but I have been trying to link common characteristics between marine life and bird life. I think it is possible to better ones fishing by watching birds. Not in the obvious way by watching feeding birds out at see, but by watching birds on land and how they interact with other bird species and other animals. I dont know if I am on to something useful or should admit myself into a looney home. Anyhow, here is a quick story to try and get you thinking on the creative side of your mind.

A large tree sits in an isolated area well away from human interaction. The large tree is abundent with bird life. In the tiny cracks and crevices of the tree lives small worms, snails, insects and other microscopic organisms. Small birds such as Honey eaters and Swallows live in the small cracks and crevices of the large tree which provides shelter from bigger birds such as Magpies and Cockatoos.
The large tree has big branches that are home to Magpies, Cockatoo's, Kookaburras, Galahs and the occasional Owl. These birds are opertunistic feeders that will prey on anything smaller including smaller birds.
Around the base of the tree are some crows, scavenging on the remains of an Ibis that a wedge tail eagle had killed earlier.
An owl peeps its head out to see what the crows are doing. The owl notices the crows in the feeding frenzy and would love to go down and feast on the ibis carcass but knows not to mess with the crows when they are feeding. The owl is better off waiting til night fall and using its powerful night vision on unsuspecting prey.
However, two hawks that were circling above the tree notice what the crows are doing and head down to have a look. The Hawks immediately chase off the crows and then begin to fight over the remaining piece of Ibis carcass - tearing it to bits.

Now swap the words listed below for the matching word.

Tree - Bombie
Bird - Fish
Honey Eater - Cleaner fish
Swallow - demzel
Magpie - sweetlip
Cockatoo - parrotfish
Galah - Tusk fish
Owl - Mangrove Jack
Kookaburra - Coral trout
Crow - Trevelly
Ibis - turtle
Wedge Tailed eagle - tiger shark
Hawk - bronze whaler
branches - caves

Have a nice day spiritual ones.....

scuttlebutt
28-07-2005, 08:52 AM
Yep, time for the looney bin,

cheers,

steve

DaneCross
28-07-2005, 09:12 AM
Mick, you've lost it mate. First the cross-dressing, now this ;D

blaze
28-07-2005, 11:05 AM
yep mick
can ya please put the words in the right place for me as I cant get my 2 heads around it, so what hope has a queenslander with only 1 head.
BUT
you could be onto something, give me a day or two
cheers
blaze

SCOTTYGC
28-07-2005, 11:31 AM
Mick, you've lost it mate. First the cross-dressing, now this ;D
yep loony bin for sure

jimmybob
28-07-2005, 11:32 AM
you kept some mushies from last season? :-/

jimmybob
28-07-2005, 11:32 AM
nah mate i often think stuff like that while out fishin....cool

SCOTTYGC
28-07-2005, 11:33 AM
must be windy up that way

too much time on your hands

scotty

zepp
28-07-2005, 11:34 AM
hmmm, gota admit its got merit but its a bit ::)

bidkev
28-07-2005, 12:48 PM
OK Mick, What's the plural of turtle? Is it Ibises or Ibii? and while you're thinking about it I'll have some of what you've been smoking ;D

cheers

kev......the spiritual one....mine's a double brandy

Daintreeboy
28-07-2005, 01:24 PM
underwater insects on a bommie eh? ;D

Derek Bullock
28-07-2005, 02:01 PM
A large bombie sits in an isolated area well away from human interaction. The large bombie is abundant with fish life. In the tiny cracks and crevices of the bombie lives small worms, snails, insects and other microscopic organisms. Small bombie such as cleaner fish and damsel live in the small cracks and crevices of the large bombie which provides shelter from bigger fish such as sweetlip and parrot fish.
The large bombie has big caves that are home to sweetlip, parrot fish, coral trout, tusk fish and the occasional mangrove jack. These fish are opportunistic feeders that will prey on anything smaller including smaller fishes.
Around the base of the bombie are some trevally, scavenging on the remains of a turtle that a tiger shark had killed earlier.
A mangrove jack peeps its head out to see what the tiger sharks are doing. The mangrove jack notices the trevally in a feeding frenzy and would love to go down and feast on the turtle carcass but knows not to mess with the trevally when they are feeding. The mangrove jack is better off waiting til night fall and using its powerful night vision on unsuspecting prey.
However, two bronze whalers that were circling above the bombie notice what the trevally are doing and head down to have a look. The bronze whalers immediately chase off the trevally and then begin to fight over the remaining piece of turtle carcass - tearing it to bits.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

basserman
28-07-2005, 02:23 PM
yep you sure all need some nice weather up there if this is what you do when you can't go fishing :P

saphire
28-07-2005, 03:01 PM
Hello Mick,
Great analagies.
I am a bit worried because I think what you wrote is very artistic.
What does that say about me. [smiley=helpa.gif]
The world needs more colour so dont change your ways.
Whats a bommy?
Do you smoke a bommy?
Im also a spirtiual one.
Make mine rum [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

boomer
28-07-2005, 04:24 PM
now change the word bombie for poofter
;D ;D ;D

Hoges
28-07-2005, 06:34 PM
:oGreat Mick you give Derek a toke on the little number you were smoking but what about the rest of us?
;DOr was Derek just down wind?
;)Make love not war! Is that the message
;DSeriously nice to see the poetic side of a fellow fisherman.
::)Next you will be joining Green Peace. :)

slugo
28-07-2005, 09:15 PM
Then the indian myna flew into the big tree and stuffed everthing up ;D ;D ;D

zedjack33
29-07-2005, 03:50 AM
you kept some mushies from last season? :-/

Gold Tops probably

[smiley=stunned.gif] [smiley=stunned.gif] [smiley=stunned.gif] [smiley=stunned.gif] [smiley=stunned.gif] [smiley=stunned.gif]

[smiley=dizzy.gif] [smiley=dizzy.gif] [smiley=dizzy.gif] [smiley=dizzy.gif] [smiley=dizzy.gif] [smiley=dizzy.gif]

[smiley=hammer.gif] [smiley=hammer.gif] [smiley=hammer.gif] [smiley=hammer.gif] [smiley=hammer.gif] [smiley=hammer.gif]

Seen any of these lately [smiley=alien.gif] [smiley=alien.gif] [smiley=alien.gif] [smiley=alien.gif] [smiley=alien.gif] [smiley=alien.gif]

DICER
29-07-2005, 05:56 AM
where does the false cleaner fish fit in?

Fishin_Dan
29-07-2005, 06:49 AM
I think that looking at birds while fishing is a must! Especially if it's a nudist beach!!! ;D :-X

Mick
29-07-2005, 08:24 AM
You guys crack me up. ;D If you ask anyone that knows me they would probably say I keep my farts in (when you keep your farts in they travel up to your brain and that is where sh!tty ideas come from) a little too much.

Saphire, if you have to ask the question young jedi you are not ready for the answer.

Dicer, it fits if you think it fits.

Daintree boy - yep, in my world. The last thing I do before going diving is apply aeroguard.

Zedjack - yes.

Kev - I sent a boogie board through customs from Indonesia for you.

el_carpo
29-07-2005, 09:59 AM
[smiley=beatnik.gif]

el_carpo
29-07-2005, 10:07 AM
I'm just kidding. Actually birds do help me with fishing. When I see a flock of seagulls swooping down on schools of alewives or smelt (both small silvery fish that serve as the major food base in Lake Michigan), I cast as near as possible and usually catch more than if I just casted blindly into the great big blue. They act as a very low-tech fish finder. ;)

So you were right.........sort of. ;D

E.C.

devocean
29-07-2005, 12:49 PM
Mick you really need to get into the water again. Dont know whats going to happen if you wait another couple of weeks. Please dont go spearing ibis'