PDA

View Full Version : Council Plan Cleveland Point

tryin
23-07-2005, 11:28 AM
Just bringing to everyones attention that the Redland Shire Council has drated plans for Cleveland Pt. The existing road around the pt will be removed. This will leave an 65m approx. walk from the nearset car park to the end of the point. No more drives down the point to see what the water is doing, not to mention the carrying of gear for land based fishos. :'(The road dosent even go as far as the toilet block, on the council web site they make a big point of saying they are keeping the boat ramp, but you cant get vehicle access to it anyway. You can view the plan on the web site www.redland.qld.gov.au and a board is up at the pt. Feed back is accepted untill Friday 12th August. Cheers MinimumChips

DaneCross
23-07-2005, 11:51 AM
That sux. I enjoy having a drive out around Cleveland Point. We regularly park out there overlooking the water while hoeing into some fish n' chips :'(

Derek Bullock
23-07-2005, 01:42 PM
Here is the link. http://www.redland.qld.gov.au/Environment_Management_Plans.cfm?doc_id=1017

Those who wish have until 12 August to forward submissions to the council.

Derek

theoldlegend
23-07-2005, 01:49 PM
In my view, this mob ( the RSC) is the worst mob I've ever had the misfortune to have anything to do with. They simply have no idea what the public want. The sooner the Local Council elections come around the better I'll feel, because this mob of dropkicks simpy has to go. They seem to spend all day sitting around coffee tables discussing issues that benefit the business houses with nothing for the fisherman.

They've gotta go!!! And they will.

subzero
24-07-2005, 02:13 AM
Heres the picture of the proposed plan, hope the pics not to grainy

Black_Jack
24-07-2005, 03:22 AM
I think the road should stay, by all means tidy the place up formalise parking etc.
with out that road i think people would use the area less.
as an esky does get heavy over 65m .

will this turn into a hangout park as it would be difficult for the police to patrol?

these are just some quick thoughts

i often drop out there to have a look at the water and let the kids have a play on the swings. its a great little park that heaps of people use --- lets hope it stays a great park (with renovations).

chanquetas
24-07-2005, 04:10 AM
Im surprised that they have basically removed the boat ramp from the public's use. It will be okay for people like me with a kayak, but its never nice to lose something.
Otherwise the proposal looks reasonable to me. Is there another boat ramp close by?

"Retention of boat ramp
The boat ramp has been maintained
for informal use only. People with small
recreational craft will still have access to
the ramp via the pathway and a locking
gate/removable bollard. A grass rigging
area will be available within the reserve.
No boat trailer parking will be available."

peabow
24-07-2005, 06:26 AM
I think its good stops all the d**k heads drinking and doing dum stuff in there cars if you have fished there at night on a weekend try to have a nice night all you get most of the time is drunks and there music from there cars going doff doff doff and # as for the ramp it is only good on a big tide.a bit of a stroll is not going to kill you. ;D

i lived in the last house on the point (house has been pull down now but ) i know how bad it can get at times

jaybee
24-07-2005, 07:24 AM
Peabow, methinks the people you refer to will still do dumb stuff only not at the point anymore, but rather at your parked car, where you cannot keep a close eye on it. i reckon this will promote some vandalism, of cars of fishers on the point at night time. Would be interesting to hear what the people living there have to say on this.
cheers
Joe

tryin
24-07-2005, 12:54 PM
That is a valid point about the security of parked vehicles while people fish. I personally dont have a issue with the park being dressed up, but the current access should remain.

fishin_till_late
24-07-2005, 06:46 PM
I have both relatives and friends who live near the "old court house" resturant on the main road out to the point. As i live down here at Tweed Heads i quite often will spend the night at one of there houses and on the weekends there are soo many hoons out there and if the coppas wanted 2 set up a speed camera that would be the place 2 do it. i wonder if council are doing this to try and stop it(not that i think it would work) i say just keep the current road but yer do it all up for sure!

tryin
25-07-2005, 04:35 AM
My brother lives over the road from the Old Courthouse Resturant and i live in Ormiston, im born and bred here, i saw the destruction of mangroves to build canals, im just concerned that well lose the basic things we enjoy. Yes there is a problem with hoons, wello pt is worse, but the council has done something to try to sort that out (big speed bumps concrete blocks) I dont think that the rsc is has drated these plans for cleve pt because of hoons. :-/

skippa
25-07-2005, 09:05 AM
RSC have proven themselves to be reactive not proactive. Changes where made to wello point only after local residential protests.

Why leave the ramp there, simple the cost of removal; tart it up to the public by saying ....... maintained for informal use only.....

Redland residents have lost the 'prompt payment' discount now...... but we are pleased to know that RSC have reduced how much the rates would have risen if they had kept the discount. oh please # :-*

I know its not possible to please everyone but the plan it's self is not designed for fishermen, but the public. I feel for landbased fisho's who use this area tho, wouldn't want to leave my car too far away either. The houses that are nearby proberly aren't too pleased either, the car park seen much closer to them under this plan.

Cheers,
Tony # 8)

Beggsy
28-07-2005, 05:26 AM
Hmmmm,

Saw the plan on a sign they've erected in the Park the other night. Not happy, Jan (RSC).!!!!!

I fish there very regularly (at least a couple of times a week)- in fact my whole set-up is based on being able to back my Tarago into the right spot at the Point, pull out the rod holder and relax and have a good fish.

What a pain in the bum this'll be. Okay, I'm not young and fit, but I'm not lazy either - I'm not so concerned about the actual walk from the car park, as I am about leaving my car unattended and out of sight at night.
People have said to me in the past that I should try the entrances to Raby Bay etc - same problem, I'm not real keen on getting back to my car at 2:00 or 3:00 a.m. to find it either vandalised or gone.

Also, I often take my 6 yr old and 3 yr old boys for a pre-dawn shot at some Tailor - at this time of year, I can leave them rugged up in the car while I set up or if they get too cold - I'll be buggered if I'm going to leave them more than 60 metres away in the dark !!!!

I've been fishing there at all times of the night (even went last night until 2:00 - got a few nice Tailor) for years now and have never felt threatened by the hoons - in fact I've had some very interesting conversations with the odd drunk at midnight on a Friday night - sure they're noisy, but they tend to bugger off after a while. The regular Police patrols seem to have thinned them out a bit as well.

This plan won't stop them being hoons, they'll just go hooning somewhere else - or they'll just use the new, smaller carpark.

I also agree with the security aspect. Today, the Police and the Security guys can quickly drive around with their spotlights to see what's happening in the Park - I can't see them wanting to get out and walk around a park with torches late at night.
Again, it's not the hoons that worry me - they're very loud and very visible - it's the sneaky bastards that you can't see that do worry me.

I'm all for cleaning up the Park - but don't bugger up my perfect land-based fishing spot.

Unfortunately, I think that most locals who don't fish there, probably won't feel strongly either way, so this plan will sail through.

Have to rethink the need for a boat -again.....bugger.

Michael
28-07-2005, 06:02 AM
Well, since they seem pretty likely to go ahead with this plan, they could have at least included a nice long Jetty off the point to fish from :)

tryin
29-07-2005, 04:28 PM
i agree, my 9 year old niece is starting to take an interest in fishing and i plan to take her down there with her dad and pop. a jetty would be ideal but rsc will just say their is one a wello pt. just keep telling everyone that you see about the planed changes thats what im doing at the moment. cheers MinimumChips

CHRIS_aka_GWH
30-07-2005, 02:54 AM
the redland cc could take some notes from the logan city council on how to make parks usable for a wide range of their rate payers & visitors. Riverdale/Noffke Park is a wonderful example of planning as are others i have visited. They aren't about locking people out - they encourage the wide range of decent people in to use the place because that keeps the morons out.

Perhaps a number of the more elderley residents of cleveland who have have paid most of their working life to give the councillors their wonderful new building need to use the word "discriminatory" to describe the 65m walk.

gunna
30-07-2005, 08:11 AM
What happened to the Cleveland jetty that I fished of 40 years ago?? When did that bite the bullet ??

jaybee
30-07-2005, 09:29 AM
Back in the early 90s it fell into a state of disrepair, thanks to hoons setting it on fire, and then there was a big fight between RSC, Raby Bay Development and waterways as to who was responsible for the costs of repairs, so the RSC pulled it down. lost a good jetty for a family fish.

tryin
31-07-2005, 03:35 AM
i went down to the pt yesterday (friday) afternoon to have a look around, counted what i thought was a approx number of parking spaces, 75 around the outside and 30 on the inside around the park. approx total 105 :) i counted the parks on the draft plan approx 63 parking spaces not including the ones in front of the lighthouse resturant, or homes. so not only will you not be able to drive around the pt, or up to your fishing spot, you probly wont be able to get a park alltogether. how many car parks will the patrons of the lighthouse resturant use to visit the resturant??? ??? save the pt, and give us back our jetty >:( cheers MinimumChips

peabow
31-07-2005, 08:20 AM
good point JAYBEE pricks smashing your car up
would be a pain.But if thay put it in it will just
will give them more room to
do donuts in the carpark then.