PDA

View Full Version : How do you get rid of the fishy smell ?

Richard
30-07-2005, 10:59 AM
What do people use to get rid of those fishy smells from your hands ?

Some things just don't work, doesn't matter how many times you wash your hands and I'm yet to find anything that works really well.

I just used Jif and that seems to work alrightl.

What do you guys use ?

dasher
30-07-2005, 11:17 AM
:-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X ::) Mmm tempting, but I'm not upsetting the moderators again. ::)

gunna
30-07-2005, 11:18 AM
Aniseed soap. Use it while fishing also.

Heath
30-07-2005, 11:25 AM
I use one of them loufas with vanilla body wash on it :-*

But usually the smell is gone after washing the boat anyway, all that soapy water.

Maria
30-07-2005, 11:52 AM
Solvol soap in liquid form. Comes in a pump pack style bottle. Also make sure you get a nail brush under your fingernails. Most times what you can still smell is not actually on your skin, but is actually traces of bait/fish under your nails.

blaze
30-07-2005, 12:07 PM
keep fishin for a few more days and ya wont notice it
cheers
blaze

imnotoriginal
30-07-2005, 12:38 PM
If you're desperate use toothpaste. But it's really only replacing one smell with another.
Joel

CHRIS_aka_GWH
30-07-2005, 02:47 PM
use lemon juice & pulp - not the diluted crap in a bottle but the real stuff. The citric acid acts on the proteins & lipids that cause the smell & oxidise them - leaving a pleasant lemon fragrance...

oh yeah - stings like hell if you've got cuts as you oxidise your own proteins & lipds too #:o

personally I think it is a lovely smell & will sit at work sniffing under my fingernails activating my subconscious sensory organs to prompt memories of my last night on the beach...

oh yeah - did I mention scratch 'n smell t-shirts....?

basserman
30-07-2005, 04:26 PM
just stop useing bait and use lures that will stp the smelly old bait smell on your hands ;)

Needmorerum
30-07-2005, 04:41 PM
I'm with Heath, by the time I've finished washing the boat, any smell is gone.

Corry

Daintreeboy
30-07-2005, 04:51 PM
use your tongue.............

baldyhead
30-07-2005, 05:07 PM
try washing yuh hands with vinegar...cleans the smell in the kill box etc

roz
30-07-2005, 05:08 PM
Richard,

One of the best things for getting rid of smells is plain old vanilla essence, just a couple of drops will do the trick.

Roz.

xtosea
30-07-2005, 05:19 PM
A little bit of ALL THE ABOVE!!!!

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
30-07-2005, 05:33 PM
Often the smell is gone from everything after I wash the boat out too. But sometimes I will mix up a mild mix of bleach and water and throw that around as well. If you wash your hands in it all smells are removed. :)

Cheers
Dave

DICER
31-07-2005, 03:43 AM
garlic....

stainless steel soap bars

Hoges
31-07-2005, 04:49 AM
personally I think it is a lovely smell & will sit at work sniffing under my fingernails activating my subconscious sensory organs to prompt memories of my last night on the beach...

.....I presume you mean fishing on the beach? ::)
The blind vicar said as he walked past the fish shop.... ;)

Richard
31-07-2005, 05:51 AM
I knew this thread might prompt such responses :)

Yeah, I agree that cleaning under the fingernails is probably the key to fighting the fishy smell left on you fingers from FISHING.

I do tend to have days out where I don't use baits at all (just lures) and I also find that live bait doesn't seem to smell much at all either. Seen these are the two types of fishing I do the most it's not really a problem but I've been going out bottom bouncing lately with blocks of pillies and squid so the smell builds up over the course of a day.

The acid ideas (lemon and vinegar) were two I've been thinking about for a while because I knew they dissolved the fats which usually hold the smell (found that little tidbit of information out from CSI).

Thanks for all the repsonses guys (and girls)..

richard

mangajack
01-08-2005, 12:02 PM
Ok guys here is the drum..............Brown sugar................ As weird as it sounds it works better and faster than anything else ive come accross tons better than toothpaste and stuff ppl are advocating here today. Next time you fillet a fish or whatever grab a decent pinch on brown sugar with wet hands and rub them well and rinse off i bet my bottom dollar the smell will be gone.

I was taught that by my cousin who was a seafood chef for the big high class restaurants.

Jack