PDA

View Full Version : Jetski's #V # Boaties

westie
25-07-2005, 06:02 PM
The reason for this Poll is that evey time I venture out for a days fishing I see Boaties time and time again taking no notice of speed limits signs ( Caloundra) Military Jetty , Blue Hole and past anchored boats. Yet the Ski operator is in the minoratey here, not sure of the figures, but you would have an Idea in your oun area, my area we will say in Caloundra on a given day would see going through a 6 Knot zone 50 boats and 2-3 skis out of the 50 boats 1/2 would do the speed limit and the skis, 2 of the 3 don't.
Now that is 25 boatie speeding and 2 skis yet the Jet Skis operators are the Hells Angles of the water.50% Boaties 75% ski's or 25 Boaties and 2 Skis 23 more boats than skis yet 75% is labled as the problem.
Yes I own one, and I know people who are selling theres due to the abuse they cop for just owning one.
Some people own a Harley and ride it for pleasure are they going to be banned from your area.
And what is the differance between a V8 Ski boat doing 80k and a runabout with an outboard differ from a Jet Ski or a Car it is not the car that drives around the streets doing burnouts it is the operator

It is ONE.... thing the Opperator not the Vehicles. I know this is my view if someone is in disagreement then put your case forward. There is Hoons but don't lable everyone the same.

Westie

Jeremy
26-07-2005, 03:14 AM
sorry mate, where do you want us to put numbers ??? This poll doesn't make alot of sense to me.

Perhaps part of the problem you see with speeding boats is you anchoring in a channel? Is that part of it?

Personally, I can't stand jet skis or their riders. I have known of a few exceptions, but the feeling I usually get whenever I see one or a group is that they are out to have fun and don't care who gets in their way. Don't care about the pollution, noise, scaring fish away, or going too close to boats or beaches, and can do whatever they want because they are faster than everyone else.

That is my impression, and I am sure you must be one of the exceptions.

Jeremy

NeilD
26-07-2005, 03:57 AM
Jet Ski's..... >:( [smiley=angryfire.gif] [smiley=behead.gif] [smiley=behead.gif] [smiley=furious2.gif] [smiley=furious2.gif] [smiley=hanged.gif] [smiley=rifle.gif] [smiley=rifle.gif] [smiley=smash.gif] [smiley=smash.gif] [smiley=thumbsdown.gif]

I HATE THE BLOODY THINGS

blaze
26-07-2005, 04:10 AM
not the jet ski's but the operators, same as boats, cars,4 X 4's and guns
cheers
blaze

westie
26-07-2005, 04:13 AM
SORRY for the Poll lay out I hope this is workable ::)

All I ask is to for feedback and to answere the poll Honestly and to find out WHAT people have a gripe about and if it is just Jet Ski's or the operators we should be looking at.

TonyM
26-07-2005, 04:13 AM
I hate people with Jetski's because they have a toy that I don't! ;D

Seriously though I think there is a lot of over-reaction re skis - as Westie mentioned above there's just as many (or a lot more) idiots in boats than idiots on jetskis. I can't recall being particularly bothered by a jetski whilst fishing (maybe you guys should head out further?) ;D Although I am regularly annoyed by d*ckheads in boats coming too close when passing

The biggest issue I feel that exists with jetski's is noise pollution - when they are operated in a small area zooming back and forwards the noise can be a pain. When we lived on the hawkesburry every now and again a few of the local river rats would play on their jetskis in our bay and after a while the noise does get to you - although the same goes for louder boats (eg ski boats).

If they are used in a responsible manner and don't just zoom around in the one spot I don't have a problem with them.

Poseidon
26-07-2005, 04:38 AM
I think the point that alot of Jet-Ski Riders can't come to terms with is the fact that most people will tolerate them when they keep to within a defined area. Other users of the water will see them in this spot and avoid it like the plague. The problems start when the ski riders move out of this zone and perform what only be descibed as blockies, giving everyone else (boaties, shore based fishos and residents) the s**ts. Point in question, whilst driving over the Pine River Bridge yesterday afternoon, the Jet Ski riders were doing blockies around about 6 boats anchored on the ocean side of the bridge. I was always under the impression that the water ski / jet ski zone was on the Strathpine Side of the bridge, correct me if I am wrong. I don't have any problem with them if they pass me on the way to somewhere else, its when the constant circle work takes place is when the blood boils. Having said all this, there is nothing more frustrating than some clown screaming past the boat ramp @ warp speed (whatever craft)whilst laughing at the boats, being held on the ramp, smashing into the rocks.

Kevin
26-07-2005, 06:02 AM
And here I thought this problem was just happening in the states..lol.. 1st, jet ski's.. I feel they need to be licensed just to ride them..most have absolutely no clue about boating laws whatsoever!! 2nd, Lately the pleasure boaters have been getting bad where I am at... almost got hit by some @$$ doing 50mph(80kph?) on a lake that was only 10mph(16kph?)..missed by maybe 2 feet...very close.. something needs to be done about them too... the ones that really get me mad are the ones that drive right over where I am trying to fish, when there is a whole lake not near me they can be boating on....

NQCairns
26-07-2005, 06:02 AM
I voted above but where I last lived the boaties out numbered the ski's 10:2 on the water yet the ski's caused way above their fair share of havoc, for instance if a person was unlucky enough to anchored near a ski day tripper's run after multiple passes it is time to pull anchor and move to another spot. It is simply not worth trying to boat within earshot or view ofthe skiers day-camp or their rat run.

DR
26-07-2005, 06:50 AM
i find that jet skis & water skiers do not care about fishos, they do their own thing & to hell with everything else.
most fishos that i see doing the wrong thing appear to be only occasional fishos out with their mates for a good day & dont appear to reallycare about fishing. therefore not abiding by any sort of etiquette, let alone the rules.
so i find both can be a problem.

they are all wet rednecks..

basserman
26-07-2005, 02:47 PM
well maybe i'm lucky but skis are outnumbered down here but we have our share of them and ski boats i pretty much never have a problem with them but i have alot of run in with other tosser boats (mainly the crusty older ones in their tinnys) but my number on pet hate are the water sport operators that take people on thrill rides up the river and also have tube rides
had one not so long ago rip in and out between a group of anochored boats at full noise came that close to us that in fact if my misses wasn't holding onto our three year old he would of been in the drink and as it was they both came close to going in
already warned the fella that drives it and also the owner that if i see them do anything like that again they will get a thumping
friggin' idots

Derek Bullock
26-07-2005, 02:48 PM
The poll won't work as it only allows people to tick one box.

Derek

PinHead
26-07-2005, 03:26 PM
what is the 6 knot zone in the Passage there?

saphire
26-07-2005, 04:14 PM
Its great seeing people have fun on the water. I envy those who ski as I tried it a few times but just cant stand up on those things.
Good on them if they have to skill to ski.
Jet skis are so much fun. I dont own one but I do ride on the ones owned by other family members.
The one thing that really makes me angry though is people who go speeding and doing donuts or blocking or whatever its called next to boat ramps.
A few times now I have been holding the boat on a boat ramp and have been swamped and nearly knocked for 6 by our boat when someone wants to play hoon games next to the boat ramp.
It is so dangerous and inconsiderate.

westie
26-07-2005, 04:46 PM
what is the 6 knot zone in the Passage there?
It is where you MUST do 6 Knots as your speed limit and this is indicated by signs,they look the same as road speed limit signs.

Big_Kev
27-07-2005, 03:48 AM
My observation of Jet Ski's is that the riders seem to turn the brain off when the ignition is turned on and the fun for them overrides the rest of society.
I see these news laws as a push to move skiers to areas away from everyone else when freestyling.(I think thats what skiers call it).
Other times ski's can be used as a normal boat just like the rest of the boaties out there.
These laws have stemmed from complaints, observations and trends noted by various authorities. In hand with the rates of serious and fatal accidents.
I see nothing wrong with these new laws. It will hopfully see skiers become more abiding while still enabling them to enjoy their sport. Hopefully this will help skiers to lose the bad image as you say Westie.
I for one must admit that at the minute I am judgemental of skiers and mutter obsenities in passing without knowing them.
I attribute this to the bad encounters had with skiers in the past. Hopfully change is in the midst.
Cheers Kev. :o

NeilD
27-07-2005, 04:17 AM
We no longer allow our kids to ride their trail bikes around local bush reserves because of the impact on others. They had great fun but a lot of people did not appreciate the noise pollution so it has been stopped. I feel jet skis fall into this category. A couple of ski's belting around can ruin great spots like the Wrecks or Horshoe bay for hundreds of other recreational users. At a bare minimum they should be made to be much quieter.

Neil

gif
27-07-2005, 04:42 AM
Sorry mate but I confirm the questions and results are completely unworkable and invalid.

I am very happy to help you get one that is valid.

Gary
15 years in marketing research
Uni Lecturer in Marketing

scuttlebutt
27-07-2005, 06:27 AM
I used to live in Noosa and hated Jet skis with a passion. I've used them also and know they can be a lot of fun, but they simply don't mix with fishing.

It used to drive me insane when I'd travel for miles, maybe up near Lake Cooroibah or Johns Landing and find a beautiful spot where all I could hear was a gentle chirping of birds, then would hear the familiar annoying scream of one or more jetskis racing up the river. Even if they did slow down when going past, you can hear them from miles away and often there would be more than one, and they'd be back going the other way within a few minutes.

So I moved to Cairns - problem solved.

Oh, and I hate Harley Davidsons as well!

cheers,

steve

adrian
27-07-2005, 11:25 AM
there are jetskier's that do the right thing but most don't for those who don't the Brisbane hasn't sunk yet and there is room on board for them. as for water skiers well they can join the jetskis . i've been fishing near the six knot sign only to have a water skier nearly join me in the boat as he wasn't watching .too busy showing off to his girl friend in the tow boat

anzac

PinHead
27-07-2005, 12:55 PM
It is where you MUST do 6 Knots as your speed limit and this is indicated by signs,they look the same as road speed limit signs.

Signs really don't have much to do with it..the gazetted speed limits are the main ones and most of these are not signposted..as per the following..100 metres from shore virtually everywhere north of the Military Jetty is 6 knots for all vessels.

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/qt/MSQ.nsf/ReferenceLookup/speed_limits_may05.pdf/$file/speed_limits_may05.pdf

most boaties do not even know that one..and it came in in 2004.

westie
27-07-2005, 01:18 PM
PinHead..... Thanks for point that out as I ment to put all that in.

westie

westie
27-07-2005, 02:09 PM
Question: Have/Do you AGGREE/SEEN the following Leave blank if NO

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #Yes # No
Speeding Boats in a 6knot zone # # # # # #38 (17.5%) # #38 # #178 #Total Votes 216
Speeding ski's in a 6knot zone # # # # # # #35 (16.2%) # #35 # #181 #Total Votes 216
Speeding ski's past anchored boats ## # #38 (17.5%) # #38 # #178 #Total Votes 216
Speeding boaties past anchored boats #36 (16.6%) # #36 # #180 #Total Votes 216
Licences for jet skis good Idea # # # # # # 39 (18%) # # #39 # #177 #Total Votes 216
Should Councils have power on the water 0 (4.6%) # # 10 # #206 #Total Votes 216
Enough authorities to Police new regs # #16 (7.4%) # # 16 # #200 #Total Votes 216
Do you own a Jet Ski # # # # # # # # # # # # 4 (1.8%) # # #4 # #212 #Total Votes 216

Total votes: 216

This is the way I see it at the moment #26.07.05 #5.20pm

saphire
27-07-2005, 03:54 PM
Iwhen someone wants to play hoon games next to the boat ramp.
It is so dangerous and inconsiderate.

Sorry to quote myself but.
OMG [smiley=shocked2.gif]...... I just realised how middle aged I have become.
I sound just like my parents.

familyman
27-07-2005, 06:12 PM
Saphire yes ,you do sound like your parents ;)
Seriously I fish and ride skis as my brother owns one-a newer four stroke(quieter) and I can understand about peoples gripes but it is maturity that makes the difference between considerate use of our waterways and just another bonehead on a ski or skiboat or just-off-the-plane-28foot-sportscruiser
>:( >:(
cheers jon

Jeremy
28-07-2005, 03:14 AM
Question: Have/Do you AGGREE/SEEN the following Leave blank if NO

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #Yes # No
Speeding Boats in a 6knot zone # # # # # #38 (17.5%) # #38 # #178 #Total Votes 216
Speeding ski's in a 6knot zone # # # # # # #35 (16.2%) # #35 # #181 #Total Votes 216
Speeding ski's past anchored boats ## # #38 (17.5%) # #38 # #178 #Total Votes 216
Speeding boaties past anchored boats ##36 (16.6%) # #36 # #180 #Total Votes 216
Licences for jet skis good Idea # # # # # # 39 (18%) # # #39 # #177 #Total Votes 216
Should Councils have power on the water 0 (4.6%) # # 10 # #206 #Total Votes 216
Enough authorities to Police new regs # #16 (7.4%) # # 16 # #200 #Total Votes 216
Do you own a Jet Ski # # # # # # # # # # # # 4 (1.8%) # # #4 # #212 #Total Votes 216

Total votes: 216

This is the way I see it at the moment #26.07.05 #5.20pm

Sorry mate, that is not a valid way of interpreting the results of your poll. There are a few reasons, but the main one is that everyone can vote one, two or up to eight times each. You would need to know how many people have voted to find out how many decided to leave the questions blank. Also, not voting just ain't the same as a NO vote.

Jeremy

westie
28-07-2005, 10:07 AM
Jeremy.....I understand where you are coming from, this is not BIG BROTHER so why would you want to vote more than once, we are not playing for a million bucks, just trying to find how we could address some of the problem that exsist on our waterways. If someone wanted to vote NO for them all, then they just have to go to submit vote and that would register as NO for all. But they must push the button for that to happen and if the poll is not suitable to them, they, like you have the opportunity to put there thoughts in writing . Maybe Our own Big Brother may be able to explain this better, but to me that seem the way it works. Look I think it is great you took the time to say something, be it good or bad about this poll, that is why I did put it up there for that reason so thanks for your input.

Westie

squidgiepalmer
28-07-2005, 02:43 PM
I hate jet skis yuppy's bloody puppys ban them all sorry they anoy the shit out of me they are to an old bikie a flying flee please explain how you can enjoy riding these bloody nosy things

saphire
28-07-2005, 02:54 PM
Hi Westie,
You created a great thread. Something we all like to talk about.
Who cares about research techniques and misinterpretation of the poll.
You got people thinking about how we all share the waterways.
Good on ya.
saphire.

westie
29-07-2005, 04:33 AM
saphire... Thank for that, it is what all these polls are about "Discussions and Views" and out of this one it is clear Noise & Rocking my boat when fishing, would have to be the big issue. It also seems boaties have also copped a bit of flack in the way they conduct themself on the water, where speed, ignorance around other boaties.
We all have differant opinions on how we use our leasure time on the water. Maybe we should have a poll on "Ban fishing in main channels" If this came in then everyone could travel on the highway, without slowing down for towns.
( Towns being anchored Vessels) Pushing all craft to the sides of the road and not parking in the middle of a highway.
Of course this is not the solition, or we ban any craft that is able to get on the plane and cause a wash and if you want speed then go offshore, Jet Skis/Fast boats to the Nth Fishing Boats to the Sth another. Remember it is not JUST Jet Skis that are causing this problem, boaties cause just as many if we are willing to look at the main picture here, that is
ROCKING YOUR BOAT and DISTURBING your leasure time, that we all seem to get less of these days in these fast becoming coastal city areas.

Westie

DICER
29-07-2005, 06:06 AM
I have seen jetskis and boats travelling extremely fast between the lakes on the noosa river - at night without lights in a 6 knot zone...dam stupid

boatboy50
29-07-2005, 02:58 PM
Hey Guys,

Have to say I strongly disagree with most of the posts.

I am a boat owner, jetski owner, waterskiier, cruiser and fisherman. I enjoy all pastimes responsibly.

I think guys who just right off jetskis straight away are thoughtless idiots.

I have seen all sides of it, working on the water six days a week on the busy gold coast region. There are just as many boats going through six knot zones (Marina Mirage, Paradise point, nerang river, ect ect ect.) on the plane as there is jet skis, in fact more. Boats DO do far more damage than the skis too. Id hate to own a pontooned boat in any of these areas.

I was abused just last week on the pin bar (whilst on my jetski) by a guy anchored in his boat fishing. I was with two other skis who had all slowed down to six knots well before the boat to pass. I turned around and set him straight which is about when he shut up and conceded in front of his mate he was trying to impress. He didnt know his rules and I dont see why I should put up with this crap every time i use the ski even though I abide by the laws. Im sick of it guys, learn your rules and appreciate when people abide by them. Dont worry about the others, just look after yourselves.

Regards

Darren

Sportfish_5
29-07-2005, 03:58 PM
Idiots are Idiots - doesnt matter what they drive.

frankj
29-07-2005, 04:21 PM
Whether it is jetski's or boats, speeding by others is annoying especially when you are doing the right thing. #Personally, the thing that annoys me is when I am anchored way out of the channel in the broadwater and one or many jetskis seem to think that I might be impressed by a closeup display of their skills, water depth of course isn't an issue for these guys, so you can run but you can't hide. #
In recent times I have been troubled by a jet boat on the Broadwater, this guy gives his customers a great thrill by doing 360's, screaming past at high speed and nearly knocking me out of the boat.

Jetskis that obey the rules are OK in my book, it's the cowboys that need to be stopped.

# #

westie
31-07-2005, 05:57 PM
Yes it seems to be the way people are seeing this Poll now as not the vehicle or crafts used but the persons in charge of them. It is much the same be it Boats or Jet Skis.

chanquetas
31-07-2005, 06:32 PM
Some good points raised by all I reckon. Its one thing when it affects your tinnie, just try sitting in the kayak and you have some ###### blasting past (in whatever).
Conversely however, when someone DOES slow down and give you some respect on the water I think you MUST recognise this as a way of encouragement and give them a wave. How often do you let someone in in traffic on the road and they dont even wave to say "thanks".
You have to give the wave, say "thanks mate".
But if they dont give you any respect, and send you for a 6, it would be nice to cast an 80g slug into the back of their head to remind them you are there!

westie
01-08-2005, 12:45 PM
Yep I aggree there, and I was out at the Hmas Brisbane today and I must say the way 99.9% of the boating craft and we are talking bloody heaps there today everyone was on there best behaviour and it was great to see that ALL craft were all enjoying the day TOGETHER so it can be done it is just about having respect for each other SIMPLE!!!!!!!!

Bradski
02-08-2005, 04:24 AM
Hi Everyone. :D

Well I'm a boat fisherman, I also have a ski boat and most importantly I own two PWC's (Jetski is a Kawasaki PWC) I enjoy all water activities and get annoyed when fishermen think they own the water. They park in the middle of channels and/or cast into a busy thoroughfair. Then when a PWC passes they throw sinkers at them. An the fishermen will sit there all day long while a PWC operator only wants to pass through on a ride up the river generally. Your contact with a PWC is usually brief, everyone on the water has a right to enjoy it. PWC owners get as annoyed with fishermen just as much as you guys do about PWCs. Why start a forum on this subject? I did here that women were taking up fishing more these days.

Seriously: PWCs throw up less wake than a boat, The new four stroke skis are usually quieter than a boat, more Families and Professionals are now buying PWCs (75% of total sales) I guess the bitch here is they interupt your fishing for a brief moment. SO LET'S BAN THEM. You're a selfish lot!

Bradski
02-08-2005, 04:28 AM
I see by the poll that boaties speed just as much as PWCs. It's the operators! Not the PWC! Lets get more water police and book everyone doing the wrong thing!

westie
02-08-2005, 04:48 AM
YES to the Police , it is clear that MOST agree ( the people using the water that is, not some know it all who sits in a office) that this is something they need to look at ASAP. The other issue is MOST don't want Councils to have the right to act as POLICE the last thing is to have another body of law inforcement playing pretend Police.

Westie

Jeremy
02-08-2005, 06:12 AM
Bradski and Darren,

I think you guys must be one of the 1% I was talking about. In MY experience, most jet ski owners are pricks who do not seem to give a rats about anyone else on the water. Tiny little rego numbers (if any) and they can go faster anyway. Of course there are exceptions.

A few examples, you go up a quiet little creek all by yourself to have a fish and 10 minutes later 3 jet skis come roaring up, speed past you, go up as far as they can and come back down past you 5 minutes later. May as well leave the creek as nothing will bite now for at least 30 minutes.

Another example, trolling for flathead over a shallow sandbank and a ski comes racing past just behind the boat, picks up the line and away it goes with your expensive lure.

I have had both happen to me on the Gold Coast broadwater in the last two years.

I agree that boats are just as bad a skis when it comes to speeding in 6 knot zones and passing within 30 m of a boat anchored, but I have never seen a powerboat 'freestyling' and annoying the absolute nuts out of everyone in the vicinity.

It is also a fact that although jet skis comprise only about 20% of all registered boats, they account for the majority of accidents with injuries and complaints on the water!

Jeremy

westie
02-08-2005, 09:12 AM
Jeremy..I see in you Profile Pic there you are holding a Palagic maybe you should concertrate on that sort of fishing. You say ....."I have had both happen to me on the Gold Coast broadwater in the last two years" wow two years that adds up to ....let me think ....... ONCE a YEAR Hmmmmmmm.
Take the blinkers off or find a dam out west away from the REAL World. 2 things happen to you in 2 years and you want to stop others from the enjoyment of being on the water that you enjoy yourself.
I spose you have a bucket of sinkers with jet ski riders only on it, if so that is classed as a DANGEROUS weapon if it hits someone with intent or maybe boat rage, verbal abuse these terms were not around years ago, things have changed we all need to change with the times. or as someone said something like " I sound like our parents " >:( >:( starts to sound like ?????

Bradski
02-08-2005, 10:23 AM
Jeremy: Get your statistics right. PWC accidents have fallen and registrations are rising 20% per annum. I supose you can look at it from the other view is that a PWC owner gets the shits that he has sucked up one of your lures and stuck in the jet which causes repair and/or money. It is narrow minded of you to think that a PWC owner wants to suck up your lure. Why dont you park your boat in a position someone can see from at least 100 metres away, so they can slow down and cast away from the centre of the water. Then PWC owners have time to slow down and wont do either party harm or frustration. Often I see a boat in a river parked in a spot that is dangerous. Please have the sense to see that.

Your comment that all PWC riders are Pricks is also one that comes from being narrow minded. I'm not a Prick and none of my friends who Jetski are. Our group ages are from 20 -80 years old and we are responsible riders. I will say that Some are Pricks and we hate those few as well. So pull your head out of the sand. I enjoy being on the water whether I'm fishing or Skiing. The waterways are for all to be enjoyed.

Jeremy
02-08-2005, 11:26 AM
take a becs boys and have a good lie down ;D ;D

Jeremy

Bradski
02-08-2005, 12:18 PM
Well Jeremy, you're the one who's bitching. I'm just saying I'm respectful of boats and jetskiers alike. I hang out at tipplers every Sunday. If your ever in the area, I ride a Yamaha FX160 Cruiser as below. I'll buy you a beer and you'll be able to see that a Jetskier can be a normal bloke like you.