PDA

View Full Version : HMAS Brisbane (Pic)

westie
31-07-2005, 04:54 PM
Well someone had to go and get some I rang Dug at 6am and asked him, SORRY westie got a wedding to photograph.
You missed a GREAT shoot Dug I was the only boat there apart from the support boats, well that was when I finally found a PLACE TO PARK THE BOAT bloody tourist coming up here and taking all our Snapper from the Banks.The Fisheries were all over the boats coming in with there catches and i hope all you guy were all good.
Not like the No Speak the english gentleman on the pontoon at the coast gaurd ramp filling his bucket up with undersize bream, and yes I did make the phone call as I was heading out to Coast Gaurd who could see him from there window and they were going to ring the boys and let them know.

Now for all you guys/gal's that went fishing today and are to busy to take a day out from your normal fishing trip to spend it watching history in the making here are some photo's.

1st one you will notice all the square panles along the side are intact that was taken at 8.30 am.
2nd is of the Tom Touch she is what towed her to the coast along with a smaller tug at the rear.

3rd is 3pm and the panles have been removed.

4th is of the Tom Touch

westie
31-07-2005, 04:56 PM
AM shot with all panles intack

westie
31-07-2005, 05:04 PM
Tom Tough looks to be protecting the Brisbane

westie
31-07-2005, 05:08 PM
The Brisbane with the panles removed in the afternoon

westie
31-07-2005, 05:08 PM
This is the TOM TOUGH

2DKnBJ
31-07-2005, 05:15 PM
Hey Steve
Where are the other pics??What Time are they going to put her down tomorrow?
Cheers Dazza

2DKnBJ
31-07-2005, 05:20 PM
Sorry Steve
When i started to read the post there wern't any other pics :-X :-X
Cheers Dazza

chanquetas
31-07-2005, 05:29 PM
A man should get out there I spose. Looking forward to the sinking....
(Its the Tom Tough Westie not the Touch, I worked on her once)

westie
31-07-2005, 05:48 PM
Sorry Type error or senor moment there. She goes down at 10am

I will be there tomorrow White and Maroon Savage 485
( Magic or MBA209) red fluro flag on antanna.
See me say hi will be around the A2 26 36.833 153 09.576 and B markers 26 36.500 153 09.576 from 9am

chanquetas
31-07-2005, 06:14 PM
Westie, Just had a look in Google Earth....seems a bit far for me to paddle in the old kayak. I'll leave ya to it mate!

westie
31-07-2005, 06:31 PM
Saw them out there today and they were able to get in real close 50m away but would not like to be on one tomorrow though, as it may be a case of ;D kayak what kayak!!!!!! :-X

chanquetas
31-07-2005, 06:35 PM
Too right mate. Have you seen that footage of the kayak and the breaching whale? I dont want that to be me!

Dug
01-08-2005, 07:16 AM
Gee thanks for that Westie makes me even happier to have spent the day stuffing about with a bloody wedding party :-[

Not happy Jan

cheers doug ;)

westie
01-08-2005, 12:13 PM
Hey dug have a look in the mirror and blame the person you see for not being there for the history of the Sunshine Coast. Sounds like another failed marrage if it was that bad.

Look if it make you feel better it was a fizzer should have had a flare go up 5 min before then 1 min before then fire works, 10 am and zip, 10.05 and every one was getting closer and closer and still nothing 10.10 am Kabooooooome orange smoke came up followed by black and then a few more bangs and in a short time it was all over and then the sea turned into a big washing machine and all water rules went out the back deck for a short time and then everyone settled and did the right thing and to see some 2000 boats ( never counted them all and sorry if I missed you or counted you twice) NO Cowboys even in the harbour slow and easy, now after getting back to the ramps you could work that out yourself, UNLESS you were a local and knew a secret hide away location to put in and out up the creek a bit Opp's saying no more.

It is a shame it never went according to the way it was ment to with the warnings 5 & 1 min before and the fire works and as for the BIG SURPRISE after I must have blinked, But then what has Beatie said, done or promised that has gone to plan.

I bet there is a sealed hatch down there with all his Opp's that one didn't work files and along with one just for Bundy Hospital.

;D Dug I hope this make you feel a bit better in missing a once in a life time Historic Photographic Opportunity in the history of Mooloolaba and the Sunshine Coast ;D

I will take you over to it one day and you can look down on it as it will only be, from the funnel 4m and Low Tide and that was confirmed by the guys incharge of the matinance of her
the bow is in 25m and the stern is in 23m or...... just a long
breath of air should do it.

westie
01-08-2005, 12:19 PM
Ka Boooooooom Time

magicpudding
01-08-2005, 12:42 PM
Hmmmm I thought it was a great event...
We anchored in the middle of the public fleet at around 8.30am and settled in with some nibbles. As expected and displayed in the notice to mariners, 5 mins before the blast a warning was given on VHF channel 14, along with an orange smoke flare being set off from the support boat. 1 min to go and another warning and flare. 15 second warning. 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 BANG.
It was pretty spectacular, with large fireworks being set off on the deck, accompanying the bangs and smoke from the real explosives. For 2 mins it seemed to sit there not doing much and then she went down with water spraying and blowing out.
The boat that displayed the flares was on the publics side of the stern, so some may not have seen it.
The washing machine coming back in was like nothing I've ever seen before. With police estimates at 800 trailer boats, there was a fair bit of traffic! There was probably around 20 kayakers out there and they had a tough time amongst the boat traffic. All in all i found it a great experience and i got to see some nice boats........serial fisher

Hope everyone else enjoyed it as it won't be repeated in the near future

CJ

jugs
01-08-2005, 12:42 PM
Was a historic event!!! There was an orange flare go off at approximately 10am, but on the radio they were still talking about delaying for 1 hour. #??? The Water Police were kept very busy hearding people out of the exclusion zone. It did go down at approximately 10.10am- without the second flare, but if you were listening to channel 66, there was plenty of info,a running commentary on the whales, and a countdown. It was nearly delayed an hour by the fools inside the exclusion zone and the pod of whales, which were headed directly for the site. Fortunately, the charges were set off before the whales arrived! It sat on the surface for just over 1 minute before it started to sink, bow first. Once it started to go down, the whole event was over rather quickly, then the race for the boat ramp was on!!! That was a pretty scary experience! We only sat for approx 30 mins in the line at the boat ramp, not bad considering the number of traliers parked around there. A once in a lifetime experience, well worth the effort!! You shuda been there Dug!!!

jugs
01-08-2005, 12:43 PM
the neighbours

Spaniard_King
01-08-2005, 12:49 PM
Yeah and do you think it was fun tryin to get out of the place after it went down ::)

Garry

bungie
01-08-2005, 01:35 PM
hahahah

slugo
01-08-2005, 01:57 PM
Garry... looks like you are winning the race ;D

saphire
01-08-2005, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the photos and the stories.
They are great.
saphire

Spaniard_King
01-08-2005, 03:33 PM
Hey Slugo,

didn't even get a place :o

Garry

bungie
01-08-2005, 04:09 PM
It was a mad run back in from the Brisbane. The water turned really bad ..... Question, was that just the weather/tides, or was it a combination of 800 odd boats and the explosions going off in the hull ??

Would not liked to have been one of those kayak's or very small tinnies out there today. Would have been a bit scary to have the flotilla heading for ya flat out.

Spaniard_King
01-08-2005, 04:31 PM
Bungy,

do you think everyone had the appropriate safety gear to be 7klm from Mooloolaba Harbour???

Me thinks not ::)

There definately were some rediculas craft out there.

Garry

jugs
01-08-2005, 05:13 PM
Couldnt the water police have made a motza out of safety equipment checks!!!

bazzaman
01-08-2005, 05:31 PM
lmfao @ bungie and all the traffic

;D ;D

bazzaman
01-08-2005, 05:59 PM
Were you sunning yourself topless jugs? Im sure thats why all the boats ventured out in the first place, once they all heard you were going theyd enjoy the veiw for the morning! :P :P

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
01-08-2005, 06:19 PM
Lovely coverage on the TV while I was sitting at the Berserker Tavern in Rockhampton with a couple of cold ales and some great company. :D Anyone who thought this, the sinking was going to be a great sight to behold, should have been watching the preliminaries. A well organised PR event by the military and the media. We were all told she would go down in 2 minutes. Still, I would have liked to have seen it out there, but not with every other Tom Dick and Harry. That's the great thing about living in CQ, There aren't millions of us!!!

Dave

bungie
01-08-2005, 06:29 PM
I'm surprised that the water police didn't do safety checks and their land based mates do trailer checks

DICER
02-08-2005, 12:25 AM
that's a heck of a lot of boats

finding_time
02-08-2005, 08:50 AM
The maroochy was the place to get the boat out of the water although the guy in the 21ft 3inchs of free board ski boat that was crossing the pincushion bar in front of me was lucky to get in !!!! god knows how he got out across the bar on the out going tide i think the big guy upstaires looks after idiots :o

saphire
02-08-2005, 03:36 PM
When the traffic is really huge like it was the police dont have time to do safety checks on everyone. #They can only be available and hope for the best.
It reminds me of Gold Coast Indy. #My husband and son go there every year and I pick them up after the race on Sunday. #There is just so much traffic that all the cops can do is direct the traffic and hope that all goes well. #Last year the traffic was crawling through surfers paradise and so I took my seat belt off to get something from the back seat. # I forgot to put it back on. #By the time I realised I had passed countless police directing traffic at a crawl so I am sure someone noticed that my seatbelt was not on but they were too busy with the huge crowd to worry about it. #I guess the same applied out on the water for the sinking of the Brisbane. But in a nautical way of course. :)
saphire.

boatboy50
02-08-2005, 04:57 PM
Hey Guys,

Well I had a Ball. Thoroughly enjoyed the day.

Even the 1.25 hr wait for the car at the boat ramp wasn't even enough to dampen my spirits, after the long trek up from the Goldie!

Aside from the Brisbane, I also enjoyed the spectacle of so many boats at the ramp, and chatting to so many owners while putting around the outside waiting for the trailer.

I have never seen so many boats in one place at one time, and every one of them deserves a pat on the back for their excellent behaviour, during, before and after the event. I have to say though not too many boats were keeping to six knots in the river after about 9am.

The exclusion zone ended up being much smaller then planned upon explosion, as all public boats were blown onto the boat, including the patrolling police to keep us away!

Hope these pics work, some good, some not so!

Regards

Darren

boatboy50
02-08-2005, 05:02 PM
About 30 seconds after the initial explosions.

boatboy50
02-08-2005, 05:04 PM
The missus had the camera here! sorry!
Shes going

boatboy50
02-08-2005, 05:06 PM
And down she goes.

It all took about 2 minutes to get to this point.

chanquetas
02-08-2005, 05:07 PM
There's some good pics blokes.

boatboy50
02-08-2005, 05:10 PM
This shot gives a good idea of the city of boats. Unbelievable
!

chemmy
02-08-2005, 05:12 PM
awsome stuff mate

boatboy50
02-08-2005, 05:18 PM
And at sea.

Spaniard_King
02-08-2005, 05:30 PM
Hey Darren,

One of my friends didn't get his boat out on the southern ramp till 2pm and they were still lined up behind him ;D ;D

Garry