PDA

View Full Version : New Member

ahjayem
01-08-2005, 12:43 PM
G’day All,

Although I’ve been a member for about three months, this is my first post. I initially joined around the end of April but was wiped out by the big crash about that time.

I’m Townsville born and bred and an ex school principal. Whilst we were fortunate enough to have our last two schools in the Townsville area, we saw quite a bit of Queensland during our tour of duty with Education Queensland which included four very enjoyable years in the early ‘80s on Palm Island. Although I had a reasonable super package, I made a decision after retirement to do something else which has led to me developing a turf farm over the last few years – so you could say I’m still working.

In the “who’s got what” areas, my present boat is a 12ft de Havilland tinny with a 20hp Yamaha. However, in the not too distant future, I believe that I should be getting my Haines Formula back from the fibre glasser where it has been for some refurbishment. A couple of years back I bought the boat as a “partially finished project” at a good price through the local paper. My eldest son was leading the attack in finishing the “project” off (I was the chief offsider) when he made a very opportunistic decision to go into business for himself cabinet making. Since then he has hardly had time to come up for air due to the amount of business generated by the local building boom which does not look like ending. Hence the outsourcing of the job to someone else. Being the owner of two Haines Hunters previously, a V17C - a nice family boat we had when we were on Palm, and a V19R – a very basic, yet highly serviceable fishing platform which I bought on retirement, I did not take a lot of convincing to buy the Formula. It should combine a substantial degree of creature comfort, significant seaworthiness, and sufficient fishing room to allow a few of us to spend two or three days at a time fishing the Palms, Hinchinbrook or some of the outer reefs not in the green zone.

In the wheel's department I have a ’98 Triton dual cab 4WD V6 petrol which quite ably towed the V19R and has towed the Formula at legal speeds where able to, on the local highways. My concern with this arrangement is the legality however, as when the Formula is fully fitted out, fuelled and carrying gear and eskies etc for four people for say two/three days, it will be over the Triton’s legal towing capacity.

I have followed many of topics closely since becoming a member and certainly enjoy the “joke of the day” pages. In time I expect I will become a regular contributor to the posts.

Tight lines,

RJM

Needmorerum
01-08-2005, 04:25 PM
Welcom to your first post. May there be many more to come.

Corry

agnes_jack
02-08-2005, 04:56 AM
Yeah!
Welcome RJM
I look forward to your'e input!!

Regards, Tony

Brett_Hoskin
02-08-2005, 03:30 PM
A mighty fine welcome to you.

I bet you were an english teacher.

slugo
02-08-2005, 05:35 PM
welcome (young fella) look forward to read future post from way up north

LEN

chanquetas
02-08-2005, 06:11 PM
If he was an English teacher then how come he used an apostrophe in "wheels"? An apostrophe denotes ownership....

Only kiddin'! Welcome RJM!