PDA

View Full Version : Sharks pour down on tourist

Heath
03-08-2005, 07:29 AM
From www.news.com.au

By Brad Clifton of the Daily Telegraph
August 02, 2005

ONE minute, she was admiring the sea life in a huge glass tank at the Sydney Aquarium.
Seconds later, Perth visitor Hazel Swinden was on her back, surrounded by sharks and fearing for her life.

Mrs Swinden, 61, told yesterday of the dramatic moment when a 12,500-litre tank "exploded" as she stood in front of it, showering her with glass, saltwater and sharks.

"I tried to get up because I knew there were sharks in the water," Mrs Swinden told the District Court.

"The water was up to my chest when I was sitting. I looked out to the side and I saw a big, black shape swim down the side of me. It went around my feet. It was a shark."

Mrs Swinden is suing Sydney Aquarium following the February 1997 incident, in which the special exhibit tank ruptured, scattering black and white-tipped reef sharks and smaller fish across the floor.

Advertisement:
She claims she now suffers "flashbacks" and post traumatic stress disorder, and was forced to give up her job as a Myer sales assistant because of leg injuries she received from shattered glass.

Barrister Chris Branson QC told the court Mrs Swinden had little warning before the huge tank burst.

"Suddenly, and unexpectedly, a glass viewing panel exploded," Mr Branson said.

"The glass shattered and [Mrs Swinden] suffered a gaping wound to her left foot and ankle.

"She was knocked down by the rush of water. She was submerged for several seconds.

"She was aware of marine exhibits, which included sharks, coming into contact with her while she was in the water."

During her evidence, Mrs Swinden said she saw and heard a crack appear in the top of the tank and thought: "It's going to go."

"I knew it was going to come," she said. "I saw a crack appear and thought I'm going to die. I turned to run."

Seconds later, the glass panel ruptured and 12,500 litres of sea water engulfed her.

"It came at me and swept me off my feet and pushed me against the wall at the back," she said.

"The water came over the top of me and I was on the floor."

Mrs Swinden then noticed a "gaping" cut in her ankle.

"I was frightened when I saw my leg. I thought 'I'm going to bleed to death'. I was thinking about whether a shark had bitten me. I thought I was going to be bitten, especially with a bleeding leg."

Mr Branson said the tank, measuring 6mx2m, was "an accident waiting to happen".

He said expert evidence would prove the glass - which was 25mm thick - was of "insufficient strength" to hold the large volume of water and had cracked due to "static fatigue".

In a cross claim, Sydney Aquarium is suing the tank's manufacturer.

"At no time did an engineer sign off on this tank and yet they were obliged to have that done," Mr Branson said.

He said the glass was the same thickness as that of a Murray cod tank that also ruptured at the aquarium in 1990.

The hearing continues.

How'd ya be!!! :o

Mad_Barry
03-08-2005, 08:08 AM
She got a cut on her leg. ::)

She got a free bath ::)

And she got a close up look at a few baby reef sharks ::)

Some people pay heaps of money to do a trip like that out to the reef, but she'll end up gettng paid squillions ;D

slugo
03-08-2005, 10:36 AM
she claims now to have post traumatic stress;; well there is a photo of her back at the shark tank ??? ohh is a dramatic visit

devocean
03-08-2005, 12:24 PM
Looks like the tide came in on her. Her own private tsunami