PDA

View Full Version : Pro's and Netting

Needmorerum
28-07-2005, 04:18 PM
Was driving back to Gladdy last night from Rocky and crossed the Calliope River bridge at around 11.30pm. As I was in the passenger seat (intoxicated) with the missus driving, I was looking down at the river and there were these flashing light on it. I got her to turn around and go back to have a look, it was a Pro's net set across half the width of the river.
While I was down under the bridge checking it out the Pro rocks up in his boat, I think he was trying to use scare tactics, but it didn't work. I wasn't going anywhere. I thought that he might be pulling it up, and I wanted to see how much of what was in it. He ended up taking off and going up river.
When I looked up river to where he was going, I could see that he had two other nets out. For those that know the river, these two were up near the outlet. One was outside the outlet, the other was perpendicular to the island just past the outlet.
With the set up that this Pro was using, he would have got 80% of everything that either went up or down the river.
I am amazed that the Pro's are allowed to net of rivers like this, no wonder the recreational fisho's are catching less and less.
I suppose not much would still be living after the nets are checked.
Ironically, going to work this morning, I seen the boat and the car that was at the ramp outside a house on the way to work. Spose, at least I now know where he lives.

Corry

nils_desporandum
29-07-2005, 04:10 PM
so u know where he lives?
that sort of sounds threatning

baldyhead
29-07-2005, 06:59 PM
any idea wot dissolves mono....or aluminium....and will it affect a plastic water pistol by any chance?

scuttlebutt
30-07-2005, 01:03 PM
Mate shame about the situation. It's always depressing when you go out trying to catch a few over and over, getting stuff all and then see a big net where you're fishing.

Try to remember though, a lot of these pros have just taken over from where their dad's left off. All they've ever known is pro fishing and if you're catching less than you used to, you can bet they are too. I know a few pros and generally I've found them to be salt of the earth types who'd give you the shirt off their back.

It's just that their tradition is (I believe) unsustainable when combined with things like population growth and water quality.

If you've got issues with what you've witnessed, maybe start by enquiring with Fisheries as to the rules governing pros (I'm not an expert) and if this guy's breaking the rules, by all means dob him in. You can bet the pros playing by the rules will only appreciate having a cowboy pulled into line.

If you just don't like pro fishing in your area, maybe start a petition. There's plenty of places pros can't net any more after the government has bought back licences. (Netting's been banned in Cairns Inlet for the last few years for instance), and we all know about those damned green zones on the reef.

anyway, that's enough out of me,

cheers,

steve

nils_desporandum
01-08-2005, 03:10 PM
yesterday i saw a tradesman hosing concrete down the storm water drain,so we found out where he lived,went round late at night & disabled his ute and machines in the back
keep up the good work ausfish!

Needmorerum
01-08-2005, 04:21 PM
Nils_whateveritis, I'm not sure what your getting at here. I'm not about to get into a debate with anyone who is new to the site, and isn't willing to put their details in their profile either.
In reference to knowing where he lives, this was more towards the thought of, as it is around the corner from home, I would have an idea as to weather he was out and if I should expect to come across a net in the river.
In over 20 years of fishing this river, from a young bloke with dad to now, I've only every seen one net in the river and that was a few months back, and I run the bloody thing over as the end floats were shoved up in the mangroves of the anabranch.
I've got no gripes with the Pro's, they also have a job to do. And without them, who is going to let me taste the reef fish I am unable to catch.
I just think it is a bit much netting off both sides of the same river at the same time.

Corry

chanquetas
01-08-2005, 05:14 PM
So Nils_whoever, you disabled his ute and machinery. So he wakes up in the morning and has no idea who has done it or why? What has this achieved?

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
01-08-2005, 06:36 PM
Nils??? You are a gutless wonder. Show yourself or piss off.
I lived and fished, as a rec, for 40 years around Gladstone and the Calliope. In the years when we couldn 't get the authorities to do anything about the pros with their nets across the guts of the Calliope, (and I mean cuttting the whole bloody river off) I am proud to say that I am one of the recs who use to take great pride in cutting the bloody floating lights off their nets every fu!!ing night. I respect the fishing law, but I will not ever respect those who break it. If you owned thosed nets Nils? UP YOURS! Good on you Corry for your post.

Dave

theoldlegend
02-08-2005, 03:36 AM
Corry

Maybe the best thing to do is to tell the Fisheries mob what you saw, date, time etc and ask them to investigate.

If this bloke was doing illegal stuff, then you can tell the Fisheries mob where he lives.

Just a thought.

TOL

NeilD
02-08-2005, 05:08 AM
Our fishery resource is continually under increasing pressure from all sorts of influences. As populations grow we degrade the environment and put additional recreational angling activities onto a finite a diminishing resource.
The days of most inshore commercial fisheries should be numbered in populated areas. Put a sunset clause on all current liscences and a buyback scheme when the pro can no longer work it. It might cost a bit but would be money well spent.
Inshore beam trawlers should be stopped immediatly while some aspects of commercial fishing such as crabbing and eel traping may be able to be continued in a sustainable manner into the future.

Neil

Jeremy
02-08-2005, 05:57 AM
Mate shame about the situation. #It's always depressing when you go out trying to catch a few over and over, getting stuff all and then see a big net where you're fishing. #

Try to remember though, a lot of these pros have just taken over from where their dad's left off. #All they've ever known is pro fishing and if you're catching less than you used to, you can bet they are too. #I know a few pros and generally I've found them to be salt of the earth types who'd give you the shirt off their back. #

It's just that their tradition is (I believe) unsustainable when combined with things like population growth and water quality. #

If you've got issues with what you've witnessed, maybe start by enquiring with Fisheries as to the rules governing pros (I'm not an expert) and if this guy's breaking the rules, by all means dob him in. #You can bet the pros playing by the rules will only appreciate having a cowboy pulled into line. #

If you just don't like pro fishing in your area, maybe start a petition. #There's plenty of places pros can't net any more after the government has bought back licences. #(Netting's been banned in Cairns Inlet for the last few years for instance), and we all know about those damned green zones on the reef. #

anyway, that's enough out of me,

cheers,

steve

Great post Steve, and good suggestions [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

For Nils, just crawl back into whatever hole you came from #[smiley=rifle.gif]

Jeremy

devocean
02-08-2005, 12:26 PM
Pro fishing is something we all have to live with. My favorite is the opening of the barra season. The nets go up just as the arm hits twelve.

Needmorerum
02-08-2005, 05:23 PM
I have contemplated contacting the authorities just for info about netting the river, but, and I spose I am being nieve, but I figured that with them still being there in the morning, when around 1000 workers are going past then they must be legal. I know this may not be the case, and everyone who passed over the bridge probably thought the same thing. I will do it in the next couple of days and find out what the go is.

Corry

CFisher
03-08-2005, 08:06 AM
Corry

I am a commercial fisherman in Townsville and do my fair share of netting for barras.

By the sound of what you have described, this guy was operating within the law.

Just a brief run down of what a licenced commercial fisher is permitted to do when netting barra
- three nets only
- mesh size at least 6 inches but no greater than 8.5 in rivers and creeks
- nets when set can only cover half the width of the river or creek
- flashing strobe light on the end of each net
- nets can not be more than 800m apart
- must be in attendance at all times (within sight of nets)

To me if someone was conducting some illegal netting in such a visible area (I have camped under that bridge before) they would not be advertising there presence by using lights.

Also, setting a net does not guarantee catching fish. Set barra gillnets are a passive fishing gear in that they rely on the fish moving/swimming to get caught. As we all know, fish are not always active. I have had my share of nights catching nothing because the fish did not move.

Barras caught in gill nets do not necessarily die straight away. Quite alot of the early day (1980s) tag and release research conducted on barra used gillnets to capture the fish prior to tagging and releasing. Also, alot of the large broodstock barra for government and commercial aquaculture are captured in gillnets.

By all means approach your local fisheries and boating patrol officers. I have the mobile numbers for a few of the local guys up here stored in my phone. I have made phone calls to these guys at 2am that have resulted in illegal amateur netting convictions. We could all do without these types of people would do untold damage by usually using small mesh nets that catch a lot of juvenile fish and often set nets from bank to bank blocking off the whole creek.

Cheers
Andy

bugman
03-08-2005, 09:18 AM
Andy,

Where you been - I've been missing your contribution.

Must be thick up your way and keeping you busy.

Bugman

CFisher
03-08-2005, 02:54 PM
Hey Brett

Yes been pretty busy and have had a few 'puter problems.

I see the snapper season has not improved at all for you - nice going! Be over 15 years since I last experienced a snappering session.

Cheers
Andy

Needmorerum
04-08-2005, 04:16 AM
Andy, thanx for your input, it's good to hear it from the horse's mouth, instead of having to go off rumours.
Looking at what you've said, I would think he would have been on the limits for the 800m between nets, but I wouldn't worry about measuring it out it would have been that close.
The other thing that he was definately not abiding to, is having to be there watching it, he come around while we were there, but in the morning when I seen his car outside the house, he obvioulsy wasn't there watching the nets. And there were no other cars along the rivers edge in the morning when the nets were still there.
I guess, you gotta give the benefit of the doubt when he abided by all else and missed the one.
I spose it just annoys me when you look at 20 years ago, you could gaurantee a Barra out of the outlet, and now, I haven't heard of any decent Barra being taken from there for years. Or decent catches of Salmon or Grunter. It's a good day if you get a hook up or even bites now days.
I know it is more than the netting, and industry would have alot to do with it, along with the slowly growing population, I'd just like to see as much done as possible to keep the river alive, fishing wise.

Cheers
Corry

nils_desporandum
08-08-2005, 06:07 PM
ah guys maybe you missed the point of my post,i was reacting to the threat of dissolving mono & aluminium
jeremy-doesnt your clubs charter mention something about respecting the rights of commercial fishers?
next time i will omit the sarcasm so the lowest common denominator can understand

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
09-08-2005, 06:39 PM
I think probably we all missed the point of your post Nils. (was there one? ???) Omitting the sarcasm in future would be appreciated I am sure.

Dave