PDA

View Full Version : Grinner

first_mate
03-08-2005, 05:41 PM
A story for my first post. My better half and I went for a trip to Peel Island on Sunday and had a bit of a tour around in our new Stacer. The better half wanted to fish so we pumped some yabbies and had a bit of a fish. She managed to hook onto a grinner and thoroughly enjoyed the short fight. Vicious little bugger tried to bite me as i un hooked it. Thankfully was holding it with a towel, and left it to bite into that.
I mention this story as I searched this site for a picture of a grinner (and found one) and noted they were referred to without fondness.
My wife loved the little battle and would like to hunt more!
BTW we threw the fellow out, but I believe some people think they are good eating. Is that true??
Regards, Angus

D2
04-08-2005, 03:08 AM
If people are going to eat these things - ah well. I have tried using them for bait both live and strips, with some success. I actually found where grinners were having a birthday party last Sunday morning. About eight and half miles WNW of Rooneys Point (western side/top end of Fraser), as they were all there, all over a foot long, double hook ups the lot. About 20 in a very short time - lost my patience and headed west to the southern gutters and caught quite a good mixed bag. Less said about grinners the better off we will all be.

Jeremy
04-08-2005, 05:07 AM
My wife loved the little battle and would like to hunt more!
Regards, Angus

Congrats on your first post Angus. Yeah, might 'only' be a grinner, but still fun to have something on the end of your line. Lucky that your wife loves the fishing too.

The grinners seem to love the sandy fringes around the edges of reef, and grow to at least 70 cm (I have caught them around that size). Trolling flathead style lures - shallow diving minnow lures - can be very effective. As for eating, I don't think they are poisonous, but too bony for me.

You might both enjoy catching squire/snapper more though. Not that difficult using soft plastic lures around the reefs in the bay. Check out the last few pages of fishing reports and you will get the idea.

Jeremy

gropeher
04-08-2005, 04:05 PM
That would be cool if you and your wife could go and catch all the grinners in the bay and kill or eat them for us. ;D
I do hear however some fishos are finding the fillets useful as fresh strip baits for squire, snapper etc.
The bay seems to be a plaque of them at times..

bignick
04-08-2005, 04:57 PM
Let her go and hunt down all the Grinners she can handle. Touch wood, fortunately I have only encountered 1 or 2 this year, and I hope it stays that way. Seriously though, the fillets make good Snapper bait from time to time, even if the filleting process is a little bit messy. A popular theory is that the Spotties come into Moreton Bay and get stuck into the Grinners and, when the Spotties didn't turn up for a few years in any great numbers as they were decimated by the ringnetters ling before they even got here, the Grinner population exploded and seemed to take over. The biggest Spottie I have ever seen smashed a Grinner I was winding in (about my 15th for the morning) right at the side of the boat. Putting a Grinner out live for a Spottie in season may just hit the jackpot. Maybe even slow trolling one live might do the business. Wouldn't it be funny if it worked and, when chasing live bait, instead of the lovely Yakkas and Slimies, the bait tanks of the Mackerel fishermen were overflowing with live Grinners; certainly a sight to behold. Just a bit of food for thought.

Cheers,
NICK.

logan_whiting
04-08-2005, 05:08 PM
GRINNERS are everywhere u can't miss them

Roo
05-08-2005, 05:40 AM
forgive my ignorance but ??? ??? I've never heard of a grinner ???

Can someone post a picture or point me to a site so i can find out more :-/

Cheers, Roo.

Dirtysanchez
05-08-2005, 12:43 PM
They have the mother in law's teeth, and are a pain in the bum. :o
I was up in Hervey bay a few weeks ago and on the drift for flatties that was all we got.
We put out lures on the way home and they even took them!
Revenge was mine though, we chopped em in half and used them for crab trap bait. They must have been excellent because the next morning not only did the a--hole steal the crabs from my traps, but he took the traps too !
Unbelieveable up there!
I am in the Electronics business and am thinking of an alarm system for crab traps that would send your phone an SMS if the trap was touched without being disarmed with a code.
Would that be a winner ?
Could I be a grinner ?
Thanks

Sti_Brumby
05-08-2005, 12:45 PM
grinner's = top spanish mack bait.

Fishinmishin
05-08-2005, 05:22 PM
Grinner=

Sti_Brumby
05-08-2005, 05:40 PM
yep, we get them on metal lure's around river mouths here.

nils_desporandum
05-08-2005, 06:25 PM
bombay duck

nils_desporandum
05-08-2005, 06:31 PM
ill start again,in india grinner are dried out and used as a condiment known as bombay duck
yes they can be a pest,
but they are still a fish and alive,it was disturbing to read in a recent newsletter of a moreton bay based fishing club that members were catching grinner and returning them to the water with a float attached,just to watch them "bobbing"on the surface

Sti_Brumby
05-08-2005, 07:25 PM
not really a fishing club is it... culling club.

Tho there good under a float for spanish ;D

Fishinmishin
05-08-2005, 09:22 PM
What a waste of a float ;D :-X.

Roo
06-08-2005, 10:27 AM
That is one ugly fish.
I can say I've never ever seen one before. But if they are anything like those mongrel Wirrah (rock cod thingy around the rocks and walls Nth coast NSW) then I hope I don't find one too soon.
Cheers, Roo.

Sti_Brumby
06-08-2005, 10:33 AM
they arn't really that bad, the look like a flat head, but have bigger teeth and rounder head. Very soft flesh, like a pike but softer.

bevnarch
07-08-2005, 09:21 PM
plenty of grinners around this week #north end of big woody ,, #but in amongst #them we got what looked like the same fish but was a pinky orange color, with blue bands across the snout # .......any ideas on that one # # # # # #arch......

mackmauler
08-08-2005, 08:47 AM
had one off mooloolaba recently grab hold of the stern rail as it was being levered against it to unhook, it wouldnt let got for quiet some time, it was around 1m long, thick as an arm..

-spiro-
08-08-2005, 06:42 PM
head over to inside Morton, plague proportion. The other thing is that they STINK !!!!!!!!!!!!! BIG TIME

DICER
08-08-2005, 09:08 PM
I have to say that's a beaut looking grinner ;D

maybe we should have a " grinner fish-of-the-week" in the saltwater picks

liltuffy
09-08-2005, 08:47 AM
I reckon the best look a grinner can have is when his bottom jaw is ripped off

DICER
09-08-2005, 09:31 PM
I'm sure it could still savage a soft plastic

to me they really look like gremlins - and you guys are feeding them after midnight and putting them back in the water

Billo
10-08-2005, 04:10 AM
To the soft plastic snapper brigade ...you can't get a bigger pest !!

i Know of people eating them .....they can have em !