PDA

View Full Version : HELP! How to fillet Bream

mermaid
16-08-2005, 07:43 AM
Hi Guys,I need some help how to fillet bream,I am a bit of a softie and put most back ,but i have caught some very large ones and i would like to know the right way to fillet them.
Some people tell me to cook whole in oven,so i would like some ideas please. Happy fishing

gunna
16-08-2005, 08:27 AM
Have a look at the "how to fillet" page on member Heath's website. Good instructions there.

Sandman
16-08-2005, 08:31 AM
Someone got some diagrams? Mermaid would love to try and explain :-/ will give it my best effort however best advise would be get someone to show you.
1. Must have sharp fillet knife
2. Do not scale the fish
3.Place the fish on a flat surface such as a cutting board
4.Place your spare hand on the fishes head so as it wont slip away
5. Place your knife under the pectora fin ( wing) as if you were slicing forward... be carefull :-/
6.Cut forward gently till the tip hits the the bone directly behind the head
7.Twist your cutting edge(knife) toward the tail and run your knife along the backbone through the ribs, you should hopefully have a nice fillet and all your fingers
7. Not finished yet... Now place your fillet skin down on your board , remove the rib area by again slicing along the bone..
8 . Nearly there .. Holding the tail end of the fish make a slice toward the sking with a forward motion with your knife and a sight pulling back of the skin you should end up with a nice fillet.

Safest bet until someone shows you , just grill them.

mermaid
16-08-2005, 08:35 AM
Thanks, But where do i find his website.

mermaid
16-08-2005, 08:39 AM
Thankyou for your help,can always rely on you guys.

frankj
16-08-2005, 09:03 AM
Here's the link

http://www.gcfishing.com/filleting.htm

Cheers
Frank

kc
16-08-2005, 11:38 AM
Thought for the day!!

If you can't fillet 'em with a chain saw....use 'em as bait!

KC

cHiCo
16-08-2005, 12:43 PM
Don't Fillet Bream. Better off cleaning and scaling them, stuff some onion, tomato, herbs, butter and lemon inside it. Make a flew slits in the skin and put some herbs in. Wrap in foil, bake until nice and soft and serve.

Cheech
16-08-2005, 04:19 PM
I fillet and skin all my fish. I find it less fishy flavour doing so.

The only thing I would add to the above after slicing your fillet off and removing the ribcage and skni, is to slice out a thin long strip about 5mm each side of the blood line. You will find that this is where the remaining bones are. I take it out almost to the tail. Then you will have a boneless fillet. I do this with all reef fish.

By the way, I do not cut through the ribcage when removing the fillet unless it is Whiting, but will give it a try as it is probably less stuffing around. Works a treat on Whiting, but I thought the bones would be too thick with bream.

Cheech