PDA

View Full Version : Barometer Best Times To Fish

squidgiepalmer
02-08-2005, 04:41 AM
Do you fish by the Barometer readings and if so what is the best reading for you, me i like lows for blackfish 950 is best seas are big bringing in the balckfish and i like 1028 and falling for flathead,just a quick look to see what suits you, had a question put to me on radio the other day so i thought it might be a good exercise for Ausfish fishers.
cheers squidgie.

ps JD im out of the Flathead Classic due to other commitments totally pissed off hope you all have a ball and all the wind stays away but will be back next year i hope

SCOTTYGC
02-08-2005, 10:40 AM
to quote a famous ausfisher or is that imfamous anyway
"1020 fish a plenty"

ps to bad about you not making the classic this year, guess that leaves more prizes for me

scotty

RobSee
03-08-2005, 04:26 PM
Hey Squidgie.... I thought being retired meant - no commitments! Are the rest of the "River Rats" out as well?

rick_k
03-08-2005, 09:33 PM
everyone believes in this, so it must be right. I want a waterproof barometer and depth gauge just like the fish must have ;)

That is, to know the atmospheric pressure has changed, they need to also know how deep they are, and how deep they were when last they turned their fishy brains to the issue.

If there is a connection, I wonder if the the fish are picking up the minute change in pressure, or something else that is occuring at the same time.

squidgiepalmer
04-08-2005, 08:55 AM
RobSee i think the river rats are no more as Michael has moved to Weipa not sure if Neil is going up but we had a very hard time picking up a 3rd member of our crew them my car shit it self and thats the end of me but im working on Radio now as well and trying to get a 1hr program up and running as well on fishing started so time is spent on that but i will be there next year even if i have to ask for a ride with one of you guy's up there to make up a crew me as deckie i can fish sometimes and i can use a landing net just hooked a 6kg one today and one over 7kg had plenty of spectators but boody camera was on close up and all pics were blured bugger
cheers squidgie

banshee
04-08-2005, 10:43 AM
I can remember an experiment at school(just barely) where the affects of atmospheric preasure on things under water was demonstrated,a small plastic bubble was weighted so it suspended midway in a larger container of water,this container then had a lid fixed with a nipple,to the nipple was a bike pump,when the preasure increased the bubble sank,like wise when preasure was reduced the bubble rose in the water collumn.I think this bubble would relate prety well to a fishes swim blader and maybe a rising or falling barrometre could indicate to the fish that food was going to be easier/harder to get due to the efficency of their own swim bladers depending on the species.

gropeher
04-08-2005, 03:59 PM
Can anyone tell me a web-site I can go to, to review the barometer for the week etc in advance to plan a fishing trip, and also where I can review the past few days history so I can keep an eye on accuracies as well, I have been searching for it the last few nights on different web-sites and I'm buggered if I can see it, I am trying to locate for Moreton Bay.

Cheers Ryan..

nonibbles
05-08-2005, 07:43 AM
you can get the last 72hours at bom its on the queensland regional observations page, find the location your looking for and click on it and it links to the previous 72 hours data for that area. Use this and a basic synoptic chart to determine whether the trends in the prior 3 days will continue based upon the forcast (generally average) pressures. For updates while on water I use breakingwind.com.au if staying in mobile phone range - SMS service.

Lucky_Phill
05-08-2005, 12:42 PM
have to agree with Scotty,

1020 fish a plenty !

follow the new and full moons.

S/E winds

This mainly refers to offshore species, but know that the barometeric pressure affects Fresh water species more, BUT who cares about them ? ::) :o ;) ;D

cheers Phill

gogecko
17-08-2005, 06:04 AM
Reel magic,
I use http://www.browniescoastwatch.com/
and use thier links to BOM under weather.

The 'weather observations' shows the current barometer pressure, wind and temp for the Seaway (and other spots). If you click on the word 'Seaway' it takes you to the last 48 hrs of data, and you can see it for every half hour.

If you go to Weather>charts you can see the pressure forecast for the next 4 days as a visual graphic.

The Solunar program also helps with this type of forecasting. I use the one at http://www.thefisherman.com.au/html/solunar.html

Now if only the fish read this stuff, they would know when to bite....