PDA

View Full Version : Thought provoking article!!

dasher
29-07-2005, 07:30 AM
I have posted this with the kind permission of the author, Mr John Bethune.

Two National Fishing Magazines have so far refused to publish this article - as they state it is too controversial. What do you think?

In the following MUST READ thought provoking screed, John Bethune reminds us of the most basic reason why we fish; points out some problems - and warns of minorities which threaten the very future of our sport.

*** “Cruelty to fish movement reaches Australia”.
*** “National Parks Association and the National Parks & Wildlife Service move to control and protect fish within their parks and nearby waters”.

*** “Royal National Park’s roads closed to overnight anglers”.

*** “Wollemi National Park’s tracks closed to all vehicles”.

*** “National Parks and Wildlife Service declare more Wilderness Areas - No Fishing Allowed”.

*** “No Closed Prawn Trawling Season for the Hawkesbury”.
*** “Foreign Weed chokes our most valuable coastal river”.

SPORTFISHING RE-THINK
Or
“A TIME FOR ACTION”

Memories blur with time - but every now and again something jogs the brain and they come flooding back. One such event happened recently visiting a tackle store whilst returning from a fishing weekend with long time mate Alan Dent. I foolishly mentioned that we had presented the owner of the property on which we fished with a couple of dressed out fish for his table. The fish were bass - not big ones, the largest being about half a kilo. They were offered as a small gesture of thanks for the marvellous sport we enjoyed on his section of the river. They were accepted with warm smiles, a firm handshake, and invitations to return at any time in the future.

Overhearing our conversation with the store proprietor, a young fellow loudly stated that he had not killed a bass in ten years. He didn’t actually castigate us but we were clearly made to understand that he believed that all sportfish should be released. And to kill a bass was definitely not the done thing. I was both taken off guard and experienced a feeling of embarrassment and anger that was hard to describe. At the time I chose to let it ride. We had a long trip home ahead of us and neither had the time or the energy for a lengthy explanation and discussion. But the episode certainly started a train of thought and a discussion on the way home of just where our sport of recreational fishing is heading.

With bass in particular I now rarely kill fish to eat. The usual exception being on hiking or walk in adventures where the odd bass is used to supplement our diet - and then it is only the smaller half pound plus ones that find their way to our plates. It was not always that way. In my younger days, I often returned home the proud hunter with the family appreciating what fish, fowl or game I was able to capture. In fact with eight brothers and sisters and later six children of my own, there were times when we depended on my hunting and angling skills. But even in those times I was well trained to take and kill no more than was required for our immediate use. This fact being tempered by the point that we then killed the larger fish whilst releasing those smaller to grow, live and breed for future stock.

Today of course we have learnt that what we were innocently practicing back then was actually back the front. We however now realise that the larger stud breeders are the most valuable in more ways than one. For they not only guarantee future healthy stocks, but also ensure the availability of those trophy size specimens which both motivate us and also ensure the future of the sport of recreational fishing.

With the current growth of Sportfishing - catch and release and light and ultra light line angling. If we are to protect our sport for future generations to enjoy - there are some contentious points (problems) of which we anglers must all be made aware. And in fact through the worldwide emergence of the “Cruelty to Fish” movement, we don’t have a great deal of time to clean up our act. Unfortunately, groups such as these practice Anthropomorphism (the relating of human feelings and qualities to animals and fish) and for the most part they are probably made up of well meaning people. Make no mistake though, they have a point. Our sport can be judged brutal and it is practiced in what at times can be an extremely savage environment.
Let me explain.

The pure catch and release ethic particularly when practiced with ultra light breaking strain lines, leaves its followers open to a great deal of criticism from both within and without the sport. An outsider could reason that we are hooking then after long fights on light lines releasing heavily stressed fish simply to placate our own ego's. They do not understand the subtleties of the hunt - such as the art of bait or lure presentation or the way one tunes into nature and studies the habits of the quarry, its environment and the effects of weather. Nor the challenge of tempting hard to attract fish into striking our offerings and the necessity of sometimes utilising ultra-light tackle to do so. For in their minds, after torturing fish we simply let them go again. Whereas all the above activities become much more acceptable if there is a picture or scene of fish cooking on a stove, barbecue or campfire - or arranged nicely on a plate ready to eat. To this end most leading American outdoor publications go to great pains today to not only show live fish and game; but where possible food preparation, and or a cooking or serving picture or scene is included in most articles. People eat fish - it's traditional, like Friday’s meal - they’re healthy, like good for the heart - and dressed out and \ or cooked are recognisable to almost every living human being. But most important of all, it gives real purpose to our sport that most people can relate to. For when the purpose of the hunt can be seen as extra food gathering - non-participants more easily accept our sport. No apology or explanation needed. Please give the foregoing some serious thought. Remembering that the occasional fresh fish meal is not only enjoyable but reminds us in the most wholesome way, to one of the major reasons why we hunt fish. New bag limits and minimum and maximum legal lengths not only ensuring that we only keep enough for our personal needs; but also that we return the larger most valuable breeders back to do their job.

We should also continuously point out that angling is much more humane with its quick clean kill or release when compared with the slow death and struggles in a gill net - or the suffering experienced by fish being crushed and drowned in the cod end of a trawl net. To say nothing of the massive and wasteful by-catch kills of young fish, particularly in estuary and river prawn trawling. For without a doubt, the trawling of prawns in our estuaries is the most destructive form of professional fishing. The destroying of weedbeds and the by catch slaughter not only wreaking untold habitat damage - but also effecting most fish populations. In some cases almost to the point of extinction. We are one of the very few educated countries still trawling our estuaries instead of accelerating the change to the now very successful and profitable fish farming and aquaculture systems. The very least we could do in the short term, is to periodically close our estuaries or rivers to trawling and so let them recover. Whereas, at the present time there are sixty-nine (69) licensed trawlers in the Hawkesbury, with no closed season. And now there is a move to have the weekend embargo on trawling lifted. These facts together with the trapping of eels (a native fish) limiting their migration and the return of young elvers to the river; has derived the river of untold amounts of valuable forage for all river fish such as bass, bream, estuary perch and jewfish (mulloway). And we wonder why there are fewer and smaller fish available to all.

In magazine articles (such as this), fishing club meetings and groups where anglers meet and points of view are exchanged. eg. The best lines - the most successful lures - times to fish - the tides - the moon - the seasons and the effect of the barometric pressure on fish etc.. More regularly being discussed is the subject of how angled fish are effected by the stresses and trauma of their capture and or release. Not so much instigated by those present, but more so in answer to criticism from without.

And here anthropomorphism rears its head yet again relating human feelings to fish. One writer recently stated that after being fought and released, a ripe female bass would reabsorb its roe and not spawn due to the suffered stress. Well in the marine world there are more predators, murderers, assassins and snipers than we can “humanly” imagine. And having several times witnessed the netting and handling of near ripe and ripe brood fish in hatchery and holding pond situations, with no apparent resorbing or loss of roe. I am more than confident that a released bass in particular has a very short memory and suffers little or no trauma (as we understand it) - due to a fight and release. Especially when reasonable breaking strain lines are used and lactic acid build up is limited by a quick capture. The hardiness and resiliency of most fish, particularly our freshwater natives have to be experienced to be believed. As a young lad I would often arrive home after an afternoon’s perch (bass) fishing with my catch carried in a wet sugar bag. With no such niceties as a coup de grace and with dinner usually waiting - I would unceremoniously dump them in an old bath that caught the overflow rainwater. After dinner I would then have my hands full re-capturing the now recovered fish. Over a period of time, several of these were transferred to a backyard pond and a large glass fish tank where they survived happily - some for several years. I rest my case.

Next.....

dasher
29-07-2005, 07:31 AM
Part 2

To preface the next few paragraphs, let me state the following.

Recreational anglers don’t run effluent (though we may add slightly to it) - we don’t destroy weedbeds or mangrove swamps - we don’t destroy or drain wetlands - we have no dead “by catch” they’re all returned alive - we use our 4WD’s to access fishing areas, not to “hoon” about creating havoc and destroying tracks - we have never threatened the perpetuation of a marine species though it’s on record that as a group we have worked at preserving many - and in fact recreational anglers are not environmental vandals. So why should we have misgivings (fear) about the National Parks and Wildlife Service and the loosely connected in more ways than one - National Parks Association?

As a boy I came to love OUR Royal National Park at Audley. It brings back memories of Dan Daly (the Rex Hunt of the 50’s and 60’s) - the fish of Wattomala, Garie Beach, Burning Palms and the Hacking River. The fishing shacks of Curracurrang and Little Garie Beach. And most of all the easy access of those times. We came and went as we pleased, and our vehicles were never vandalised or stolen. Angler and bushwalker’s carparks were located well off the main roads - usually at the ends of tracks and near the beginnings of coastal walking tracks. The park rangers of those days we knew by name and their attitudes were both friendly and conscientious. I don’t know how they were paid, but they appeared to work staggered hours for they were wont to appear without notice at any hour.

Then in the eighties, the fishing shacks were bulldozed - the sidetracks closed off and the carparks re-located on the main roads and tracks. Stolen and vandalised vehicles were now the order and the risk faced by all who fished, walked and particularly by those who stayed overnight in the park. The National Parks and Wildlife Service chose to solve this problem - not by more rigorous policing, but simply by closing off access to the park overnight. Lockable boom gates being erected on all but the main through roads. This policy of locking off tracks and making National Parks more inaccessible to all but the very fit and young and those with unlimited time - seems universal. (Or at least here in Australia it does). The recent changes in the Wollemi National Park appear typical.

For well over thirty years, my sons and I together with mates John Turnbull, the Partridge brothers David and Kevin from Singleton, Barry, John and Dennis Croft and from time to time a few other close angling mates. Followed in the footsteps of the early Wollemi pioneers (Oc Hatherly, doyen bushwalker Pat Harrison and Ted Cairns-Phillips of River Canoe Club fame) in exploring the waters of the Colo and the Wollemi and the magnificent bush and grandeur of the Culoul Range. I still clearly remember the excitement of re-discovering the “trig” points of the “Six Brothers” and the amazing “Hollow Rock”. The awe inspiring lookdown and panoramic scenery of “Crawford’s Lookout” where the Wolgan-Capertee and the Wollemi meet to form the Colo River. The diabolical walk (if you can call it that) down Boorai and Dooli Creeks. The steep, scramble down track at Culoul Pass to the junction of Munee Creek - and finally after two years of intensive exploration, the discovery of our own trail into the Wollemi.

All the aforementioned points of interest were accessed by following along old timber trails, then via “shanks pony” usually following the ruggedly, deep ravines and gullies that drained into the Colo and Wollemi gorges. Those old timber getter tracks of the Culoul Range were in the main extremely rough, and due to their age overgrown and stabilised. Their very roughness and vehicle scratching overgrowth restricted those traversing them to persons who love the bush more than their vehicles. Apart from a short section near the Putty Road that was by passed - the rest were the original tracks.

Then recently, the N.P.W.S. moved in, erected signs and using big machines - widened and “improved” the main Culoul Ridge track. Clearing carparks at Hollow Rock and the jump off point to Crawford’s Lookout. At the same time closing off all the sidetracks by bulldozing hillocks of overburden and felling trees. Other overburden created by this track “improvement” exercise was simply pushed over the side. The previously declared “fragile area” (N.P.W.S.’s own words) now appearing to be more vulnerable especially with the inevitable arrival of the next gully washing rains.

This improvement to the main ridge track if engineered correctly, in itself need not be detrimental as it allows easier access in almost any type of vehicle. But whereas in the past bushwalkers and anglers were able to leave their vehicles virtually out of sight at the end of sidetracks. They now have to be left unguarded and vulnerable on the main track and at the mercy of any vandal and or thief who happens along. Mark my words --- with the inevitable thieving and vandalising, exacerbated by the poor - virtually non-existent policing by park rangers. The next step at Wollemi will be the usual closing off of the park after sunset. Instead of encouraging the people to use our National Parks - the N.P.W.S. and the National Parks Association seem intent on denying access and use in every possible way.

Then of course there is the other problem posed to this aging adventurer. The closing of the tracks has added anything up to an extra hour and in one case an extra three hours walk (mostly up hill) to an already arduous five hour climb out. Thus bringing to an end my future planned Wollemi adventures, and to one who during the past years helped to pioneer this magnificent and ruggedly beautiful area. I am pissed off !!! What is the point in having National Parks whose access and use is ever increasingly being denied to those very people who love, enjoy and value our Australian bush? The overseas experience is one where the public recreational use of National Parks is encouraged. In most areas the sports of recreational fishing and even hunting, being not only allowed, but encouraged. Their numbers within the parks, particularly the hunters, being controlled by a permit system. They are further controlled by adequate ranger policing and by regular helicopter patrols. The local businesses benefit through extra tourism with many new ones for example Guiding Services flourishing.

Why a similar system couldn’t work in Australia leaves one to wonder at the oft-heard phrase “hidden agenda”. For I see no other reason why our fast growing National Parks and Wilderness Areas etc., can’t be opened for all to enjoy. With properly located and policed car parks sited at practical jump off points, and the aforementioned helicopter rangers. I am sure that anglers and bushwalkers wouldn’t mind paying a reasonable permit fee.

During the last two years moves have been made by both the National Parks Association and the N.P.W.S. not only to have more Wildernesses and complete Sanctuary areas declared within and nearby National Parks. But they have also endeavoured, in NSW at least - to gain control of a major part of the marine environment from State Fisheries. A recent drive being to gain control of a large portion of Port Hacking and the foreshores and ocean waters adjoining the Royal National Park and extending several kilometres to sea. For a declared Marine Sanctuary with no recreational or professional fishing allowed.

If this had gone ahead undetected (and it’s not over yet) it would have devastated many charter, fuel and providoring, boating, tackle and bait businesses, and taken away from Sydney’s recreational anglers, the major part of its most productive southern waters. And in the process it would have handed over control to a group with no experience whatsoever in the marine environment. The need for Marine Sanctuaries is not only necessary and beneficial, but their designation and control should be left in the hands of the experts of State Fisheries and in consultation with those effected by their declaration.

And now due to the continuing drought and the introduction of an insidious aquarium weed, the mighty Hawkesbury is under threat of virtually being choked to death. See accompanying pictures. Large machines are fighting a losing battle to remove the weed, as quite a number of areas are unable to be accessed. A proposal to treat any remaining pockets of the weed with the weedicide Reglone has received bad publicity from both the press and the greenies. Publicity and protests, that could be badly based and ignorant of the true facts. For as I understand it (and I stress that I am no expert) Reglone is a poison with a short life and has little or no effect on fish. Further more, poison has already been used in the past on the Nepean-Hawkesbury to control an outbreak of water hyacinth some years ago. And although there were small numbers of fish killed, (I witnessed eels, carp, mullet and catfish – strangely enough no bass) the fish moved back in a matter of weeks.

The alternative to not treating the dregs left or unable to be reached by the machines in inaccessible areas, are much more scary than the poison being used; for when the warm weather returns, the weed can double its bulk every seventy-two hours – and so the cycle begins again.

In conclusion, I implore all who fish for sport and those of us who enjoy the outdoors, to not only be aware of what is happening - but also to become active to protect our marvellously healthy pastime for all who follow.

DON’T LET THE MINORITIES TAKE OVER AND RULE OUR OUTDOORS WORLD.

Jeremy
29-07-2005, 07:59 AM
Great article. Thanks for posting it Dasher.

Jeremy

blaze
29-07-2005, 08:37 AM
funny how some would say its a good article (which it is), but on the other hand I got some quite healthy debate (abused) for even suggesting we as an angle group need to be aware of what is happening.
Good to see John sharing his views.
Tried to find the eariler article I posted but could not find it,
but I believe for writing in a simular vain I was seen by some to be a complete tosser.
good to see it up for debate again
cheers
blaze

Mick
29-07-2005, 09:03 AM
It should be published in Womans weekly and New Idea. The audience this is directed to are fisherman, but we already know this stuff. We just need everyone else to know it.

Good article,

Mick

NeilD
29-07-2005, 10:19 AM
The first part was pretty much along the lines Blaze put foreward.
I think the hollier than thou #[smiley=angel.gif] attitude creeping into aspects of our fishing is to the detriment of the sport as a whole. The derision #[smiley=angryfire.gif]put on people who keep a couple of fish, or heaven forbid a billfish, is not needed. Why do some people feel justified in keeping prime brood stock snapper and yet put criticism upon others keeping a small billy for the table.
I for one release fish that are either surplus to my needs or less desirable but this does not get away from the primary fact that one of my personal motives for fishing is to take a feed home. I find it #very satisfying and think it justifies the fact that fish are injured even in a pure catch and release environment.
The access issue is one that is going to continue to restrict our activities both on the water and on the land.
A very interesting article and one I hope initiates a bit of debate and an opportunity to think about what is going on.

Neil

PinHead
29-07-2005, 12:52 PM
I got to the bit when he was a boy in the National Park..gave up then..a good article should be succint and precise without the flowery bits...now what was the point of the article..that was probably why the mags did not want it.

jimbo59
29-07-2005, 01:54 PM
They'll probably jump on the spearo's first then us.

dasher
29-07-2005, 02:57 PM
Jeremy don't thank me mate it was John that put in the work and time. ;) ;D

Rob I know what u mean mate but it is a very imotive issue and for the betterment of us all should not be mentioned. (But I know what u mean)

Mick, I think your skirt is too tight mate. ;) ;D Yep would be good to make everyone aware of what is happening, but you're kidding yourself if you think fishos are keeping up with what is going on around them. :(

Neil, no holier than thou required mate. Fishos going out to pursue their fav past time and method not to be questioned if legal. BLOODY SIMPLE I KNOW THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN MATE, BUT IT SHOULD. ::)

Pinhead, you just missed the point of the whole article mate. That is what we done as kids. Your kids will be regulated out of a lot of the areas you enjoyed. Then your your grandkids will be fishing in impoundments like Japan. Is it bad to relate back to when we were a free nation and enjoyed access to all waters. Maybe you would prefer we hide this information to our upcoming generations because of a lack of fighting spirit to keep these areas open for our future generations.

Jimbo, I wouldn't worry mate, seems the divers are getting every site the fishos are locked out of. >:(

PinHead
29-07-2005, 04:13 PM
"Pinhead, you just missed the point of the whole article mate. That is what we done as kids. Your kids will be regulated out of a lot of the areas you enjoyed. Then your your grandkids will be fishing in impoundments like Japan. Is it bad to relate back to when we were a free nation and enjoyed access to all waters. Maybe you would prefer we hide this information to our upcoming generations because of a lack of fighting spirit to keep these areas open for our future generations."

I did not miss the point..I knew what he was getting at..I merely stated why the mags may not be interested..look at most newsworthy articles..rather short and abruptly to the point..plus I doubt mags are too interested in getting into the fishos vs greens debate in any sort of scale...might cut down the readership hence the profits.

Oh..and I am an old bugger..my son and grandson already get to fish the areas I fished when I was a kid.

dasher
29-07-2005, 04:25 PM
Pinhead your second point is correct re the mags, the first doesn't really matter because they didn't get that far. ???
Glad your youngun and grandchild have the op to fish your water mate, and only hope their kids and grandkids have the same oportunity, cheers.

roz
29-07-2005, 07:20 PM
Dasher,

I will have to go back and have a second and maybe third read to take it all in, you really are preaching to the already converted here.

I will have to admit to being one of those people (scorned) for catching Australian Bass on as light a line as I can manage, and then putting them back... I can't explain why but I enjoy the fight.

But... I have a better insight into what is needed to maintain and protect the environment that these fish inhabit because of my love for the sport.

Does that justify what I do? Well, I don't really care.

Unfortunately we all have to pay a price, and give up a lot of what we have been taking for granted for so long, to save what is left. No doubt about it.

I also believe we are only getting a taste of what is to come.

Roz.

Roz

Daintreeboy
29-07-2005, 07:44 PM
There's bits in this I see that tie in quite closely to the Wild Rivers bill up this way. What's the fishing party doing about but? I'm yet to hear anything even after giving the post I made here a 'bump' back to the top some time ago now? You guys seem to have gone very quiet lately and to me it looks like you've missed the boat with this Wild rivers bill. Please tell me I'm wrong.
Thanks, Mark.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/board/YaBB.cgi?board=General;action=display;num=11198601 21;start=30

Cyclone
30-07-2005, 05:48 AM
Dasher sorry but your reply to Jimbo does nothing for the cause. I enjoy spearfishing as much as line fishing and I know other ausfishers who do. Don't put us in the same catagory as the tourist dive industry which would love nothing better than to have us out of the water totally, we Spero's lost more in the last reef re-zoning than line fishers. Why is it that so many people seem to think we swim around shooting anything that moves, jump in and have a look it ain't that easy. I think Neils comment on the hollier than thou attitude is right on the money remember we are all in this together and my way is the right way won't work.

We are all sportfishers because it's a sport we love. Andrew.

Jeremy
30-07-2005, 06:55 AM
funny how some would say its a good article (which it is), but on the other hand I got some quite healthy debate (abused) for even suggesting we as an angle group need to be aware of what is happening.
Good to see John sharing his views.
Tried to find the eariler article I posted but could not find it,
but I believe for writing in a simular vain I was seen by some to be a complete tosser.
good to see it up for debate again
cheers
blaze

From memory, I don't think what you wrote was all that similar Blaze.

Jeremy

blaze
30-07-2005, 08:48 AM
Hi
Jermony
I would think that the first part of this artical is in the same vain as mine, mind you, only my opinion
cheers
blaze

Burley_Boy
17-08-2005, 04:35 PM
Ok so what can I do with my limited time and resources?
How do we actually stop copping the crap and go on the offensive?
Blaze, we will never get all around us to see the same way and some things we just have to let go, sometimes they understand what we are on about and other times they miss the point. It's like marketing, get the right packaging and you flog the product but the product hasn't really changed just peoples perception.

dasher
17-08-2005, 05:34 PM
Dasher sorry but your reply to Jimbo does nothing for the cause. I enjoy spearfishing as much as line fishing and I know other ausfishers who do. Don't put us in the same catagory as the tourist dive industry which would love nothing better than to have us out of the water totally, we Spero's lost more in the last reef re-zoning than line fishers. Why is it that so many people seem to think we swim around shooting anything that moves, jump in and have a look it ain't that easy. I think Neils comment on the hollier than thou attitude is right on the money remember we are all in this together and my way is the right way won't work.

We are all sportfishers because it's a sport we love. Andrew.

Sorry Andrew lost this one mate. Don't get me wrong with divers mate as long there is equality I have no probs at all cobber. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]