PDA

View Full Version : Bigjews ?????

markpeta
17-08-2005, 01:26 AM
Here we go again

major-defect
17-08-2005, 02:29 AM
Ya not wrong!Lots of useful input from that one hey.

Jeremy
17-08-2005, 03:26 AM
I think it is time to change the requirements for being able to sell something from number of posts to time since registers as someone else suggested. PLEASE do something moderators!

Jeremy

bugman
17-08-2005, 03:27 AM
Be interesting to see if he pops up selling something in the for sale section now.

Derek Bullock
17-08-2005, 03:33 AM
Bugger ! ! ! ! ! !

He no longer exists. Unfortunately us Moderators arent here 24 hours a day.

Cheers.

Derek

DR
17-08-2005, 04:23 AM
maybe in the registration form there should be something (in large print)to tell these people that this is not acceptable. as it is now it would appear they are following the rules & getting 30 posts..

Hoges
17-08-2005, 04:29 AM
:-/Did I miss something here? ???

>:(Oviously I did as I don't understand what all the above is referring to! ???

PinHead
17-08-2005, 04:41 AM
:-/Did I miss something here? ???

>:(Oviously I did as I don't understand what all the above is referring to! ???

Just look at the most recent posts on most threads.

PinHead
17-08-2005, 04:42 AM
Bugger ! ! ! ! ! !

He no longer exists. #Unfortunately us Moderators arent here 24 hours a day.

Cheers.

Derek

Less sleep and more moderating Derek..LOL

DICER
17-08-2005, 05:04 AM
!eck...I completely agree on time to post an advertisement should be dependent on time since registered, but also WITH a minimum number of posts (eg 10) such that you at least know something about the person.....buyer beware etc

imported_admin
17-08-2005, 05:43 AM
In this case the person in question registered on the 1st of March this year. So a minimum time to be a member before posting in the for sale section would not have been effective.

99.999999% of people on the site do so by the rules and also use good manners and ethics. It is difficult to stop every single what if, but the moderators and myself do as much as we can.

-spiro-
17-08-2005, 05:52 AM
well i guess that i missed the joke ??? 8)

Kiktz
17-08-2005, 06:12 AM
Nah Spiro,
I am was with you but I have just worked it out.
Pretty poor play if you ask me. If you are joining the site jsut to sell
Knockem on the head.

AJ

Jeremy
17-08-2005, 06:22 AM
In this case the person in question registered on the 1st of March this year. So a minimum time to be a member before posting in the for sale section would not have been effective.

99.999999% of people on the site do so by the rules and also use good manners and ethics. It is difficult to stop every single what if, but the moderators and myself do as much as we can.

so much for that idea. Dunno what else can be done. Thanks Steve,

Jeremy

Kiktz
17-08-2005, 06:36 AM
This site works because we all contribute.
Not just USE..........

gogecko
17-08-2005, 11:31 AM
Thanks Mods for being on the ball and for all the other good work you do.

What about limiting new members to 10 posts per day? Then raise the requirement for sellers to, say, 70 posts before you can sell. Once you hit 70 posts, then you no longer have your L plates on, and theres no 10 post limit for those that have proved themselves as worthwhile contributors.

If we make it too hard for them to abuse the system, then they wont bother logging on to do it 7 days in a row.

Sorry if Im outa line. I know Im only new around here, but I have spent a bit of time in other chat forums and seen ideas that worked.

Derek Bullock
17-08-2005, 12:26 PM
Hi folks

Thanks all of you for your commensts. Not sure what Steves view on it is but I reckon the openness and the current limits on members of this forum is pretty good as it is.

I think those who have been around for a while will remember that the last two issues publicly raised over articles being sold were by members who had significant history in both time and posts up. If someone wants to be dishonest then they are going to be anyway.

It's a bit like buying out of the weekend shopper, your local paper or eBay. You need to do your homework first.

I just had a look in the "sin bin" and out of the current 8226 members as I write, only 21 individual people have been banned from the site. Mind you a few have come back using different names and one person has four banned names to their credit.

On those statistics I reckon we are doing pretty good.

Cheers

Derek

imported_admin
17-08-2005, 12:59 PM
gogecko

Interesting comments and ideas there. I just think though that the majority of people that use this site do so quite well and inside the basic rules set out. Every now an then someone comes along and puts up 30 useless replies simply so they can post an ad in the for sale section. This has happened twice in the last few weeks but hasn't happened for quite a while before that.

As you can see the Members see it very quickly and if the person puts an ad in the for sale section there are usually warnings posted by members in reply to the ad.

The site is therefore self regulated and doesn't need pages and pages of rules.

A quote I saw on a sign today which sums things up.
Nothing is fool proof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Daintreeboy
17-08-2005, 01:59 PM
I agree with Steve. We can all see how many posts someone has so should naturally be wary ourselves and take some responsibility. Leave it as is, it works pretty good.
PS I missed the whole thing again too!
Cheers, Mark.

smerl
17-08-2005, 02:02 PM
Steve

Thanks for providing successful, sensibly moderated site ........ and for the quote of the day!

Cheers

Simon

theoldlegend
18-08-2005, 01:09 AM
Not sure whats going on here, but it sounds like somebody's putting up posts to get the runs on the board for whatever reason. ??? The other day, a member put up a large number of posts with only about one or two words in each and really didn't offer any input to the subject matter at all. :-X

I looked at the times of his posts and they were only about a minute or two apart. Is this what you are talking about?

TOL

ba229
18-08-2005, 03:59 AM
yep. It happened again

Billo
18-08-2005, 11:57 AM
some people believe they can slip under the radar ...do they not know we have hords of people on this site with nothing better to do then yap about fishing !?!?! ;D ;D ;D

I bet there is quite a few of us out there who know every post that goes up and almost every reply ....i'm not too far off some days ;D ;D ;D

can't slip one behind these keepers ;D