PDA

View Full Version : ANOTHER MISSHAP

Bosunsmate
15-08-2005, 05:23 PM
Just read this in the Townsville Bulletin online....

Two Injured in Boat Accident
20:21 (AEDT) TWO men have been critically injured in a high-speed boating accident near South Stradbroke Island, off Brisbane.

According to the story the third person was lucky......I wont comment as I dont know the area, but it does sound like speed may have been a factor..

Bosunsmate
16-08-2005, 04:59 AM
[b Man Dies after boat accident /b]

15aug05
A MAN has died after a high speed boating accident at South Stradbroke Island, off Brisbane.

The 58-year-old man, whose leg was severed in yesterday's accident, died in Gold Coast Hospital overnight, police said.

The male driver of the boat, 35, is still in a critical condition with serious head injuries and a compound fracture to the leg.

Another 38-year-old passenger sustained minor injuries.

A police spokeswoman said the six-metre, 250 horsepower speed boat "disintegrated" when it hit the water after becoming airborne and rolling several times just after 5pm (AEST).

Hope this isnt anyone from here..........

fish2eat
16-08-2005, 05:13 AM
I doubt it is any of the responsible folk from here, but I'll bet that its one of the pests who have been racing in the area for a while. I was moored on the west side of Short Is three weeks ago having a quiet fish, when 2 bullet boats came within 3 metres each side of me travelling at what I estimated was 60 knots, leaving both the deckie (wife) and I gobsmacked and shaken......they used us as a chicken target.

If it was one of them, then sorry, but I'm struggling to muster any sympathy....these guys were lunatics breaking the law and putting other peoples lives at risk.

Kiktz
16-08-2005, 06:47 AM
Loss of life is never good in any circumstance.
I here want you are saying Fish2eat.......
Suppose you can say they brought it on themselves but it is still
never good.

Was taking the boat out of the water at southport the other week and one of those ocean racers (a smaller version 7m?)was there.
I had pulled up and was about to go up and get the car and there was a guy and his missus's there struggling like hell to get to boat out. THe boat was at right angles to the pontoon. The guy being on the trailer and his wife trying to get it back in line. I stopped and helped them... All of 40secs next minute this tosser in this starts reversing down the ramp like he was going to just drive into our boat that was tied up.

Makes you think, Yeh they might be Wa%*ers but still.......

Never good

elephrez
16-08-2005, 01:59 PM
thats not good news.

The_Walrus
16-08-2005, 03:39 PM
There was another one on the news tonight estimated speed from a witnes was 140Kmh ???

These idiots should be aprehended and the boat confiscated immediately and they should also be banned from holding any sort of boat licence. Probably be a good idea to cancel their car licence at the same time. ;D

Luc

Mantaray
16-08-2005, 03:45 PM
They brought it on themselves and at least they didn't hit anybody else but themselves. What's the point if it was anyone from here, who really supports people that could cause injury to somebody form here? About time the authorities started sorting the obvious misdemenaers out! Idiots! #Yes probably a good term! What elese would you call anybody doing twice the speed limit in that part of the ocean? Isn't the max speed for recreational boats restricted to 40 knots anyway?

warrior
16-08-2005, 03:58 PM
it will happen more and more if the authorities dont start policing and booking people heavily ,on the dams as well.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
16-08-2005, 04:23 PM
to lose a loser is like minusing a negative,

so focus only on the positive gentleman,

where is the new artifical reef ?

2Tone
16-08-2005, 05:19 PM
As one who spends a bit of time around this area, not only this guy but a few of the other hoons should take note, if you live by the sword you will die by the sword.

cooky
16-08-2005, 06:56 PM
i know nothing about the area, but what is wrong with travelling at 140km/h if the boat is made for it???

Many people (not me) own speed boats and like fishing it is a hobby, an interest, and to some people - a sport. There is a risk that these people will hurt themselves, but 'thems the risks and I'm sure they're aware of them'. I understand your frustration if they were / are being reckless (hoons), but speed is fun in any boat. Are we fisherfolk that friggin boring that we call anyone enjoying a flat out run across the ocean on a good day an idiot?

Ever been trail bike riding, horseriding, played football? there is risk in each and everyone of these sports (and yes people participate for enjoyment).

i apologise if I read this wrong, but comments seemed a little inappropriate to me. These people may very well have been very responsible folk - to label them idiots and that they deserve to die is harsh.

Jeremy
17-08-2005, 03:54 AM
i know nothing about the area, but what is wrong with travelling at 140km/h if the boat is made for it???

Many people (not me) own speed boats and like fishing it is a hobby, an interest, and to some people - a sport. #There is a risk that these people will hurt themselves, but 'thems the risks and I'm sure they're aware of them'. #I understand your frustration if they were / are being reckless (hoons), but speed is fun in any boat. #Are we fisherfolk that friggin boring that we call anyone enjoying a flat out run across the ocean on a good day an idiot?

Ever been trail bike riding, horseriding, played football? #there is risk in each and everyone of these sports (and yes people participate for enjoyment). #

i apologise if I read this wrong, but comments seemed a little inappropriate to me. #These people may very well have been very responsible folk - to label them idiots and that they deserve to die is harsh.

Cooky, this accident happened near Tipplers resort in the Southport broadwater I believe. This is an area with numerous sand islands, sand bars, narrow channels, and lots of others boats from 3.5 m tinneys to 40 ft cruisers.

To be doing 40 knots I believe there would have to be at least 500 m of clear water in front with no other boats in front or coming across from the sides. That would be rare in those waters and impossible on a weekend. To be doing 40 knots (let along 140 kph) in that area is in the very least inconsiderate of all the other users. It sounds to me like an accident waiting to happen and it did.

Jeremy

Rusty_Hook
17-08-2005, 04:31 AM
Doing 140 KPH in open ocean is one thing - to do it in busy rec areas with all sorts of craft, fast and slow, is just plain stupid. I am sorry that they died, but if that's what it takes to stop other people getting hurt... It's better that the ones taking these crazy risks get hurt rather than someone paddling in the bay in a kayak on a nice day enjoying a bit of exercise.

cooky
17-08-2005, 04:33 AM
thanks mate - as I said - know nothing about the area at all. In that case - they'd likely be show-off idiots

westie
17-08-2005, 04:43 AM
Here Here..... I would be appalled if anyone had not reported this type of action to the authorities and it would be more likley be there strip to hoon around on.
We need more Police to control this sort of hooning on our waterways.

westie
17-08-2005, 05:02 AM
I also agree that speed is a buz on the water and for some it is a hobby but there is room on the water to do that and not put other lives at risk.
Doing those speed in that area, is hooning and nothing less.
Doing those speeds by yourself away from others is being a responsible hoon and is called Offshore Racing and that has RULES to follow.
;D Rules are Rules Do the Crime Do the Time ;D

Burley_Boy
17-08-2005, 04:05 PM
I feel a bit like cooky on this one but don't have all the facts but it doesn't sound like others have either..
I just found out that the boat in question is one at the top of my street where I have seen the guy out very very often looking after his craft, trimming it etc etc over many years, not my cup of tea but a boat seriously built for speed by a dedicated young boatie.
I dont know what the upper speed limits are as I never get close but are you telling me there are no areas where the guys with the horse power are allowed to open up? Then we should outlaw all speedboats and while we're at it lets install speed limiters on all cars.
The area outside of tipplers and Couran is frequented by seaplanes which certainly hit some speed but with their speed they can safely avoid danger to other craft.
Opening up irresponsibly is wrong irrespective of the speed limit and so is driving your Riviera at 12knots with a 2Metre wake next to other craft. Idiots can be idiots at all types of speeds and my kids have been seriously put in danger by a large cruiser at low speed where these guys hardly leave a ripple on the water. Not defending irresponsible behaviour but the guy in the cruiser didn't know what the hell he was doing while these guys take calculated risks. Both can endanger you in a busy waterway.
As I understand it the accident happened not outside tipplers but outside Couran Cove where the waterways converge and you have the upper reaches of the Coomera disturbing the water. Whether they were endangering anyone else I don't know but this type of boat can lift at speeds of around 100kmh in chop and the second boat throttled back as they hit chop (they were racing as people do in racing boats but they were certainly not inexperienced.) the boat tore itself in half and the guy who died later got his leg torn off in the accident. The guy who was in the second boat pulled them out of the water and I hear he's not keen on keeping his boat after this.
So to the guys who hate speedboats you've now got a couple less on the water, to those that lost a friend or a father (father of 8 I think), my condolances.

Brejen
17-08-2005, 04:18 PM
B/B well said mate well said. Someone has lost either a son, brother, husband ,father,maybe even all of the above, and at the end of the day no matter what, this has to the saddest part of the whole thing. IMO.
Brett

The_Walrus
17-08-2005, 05:05 PM
According to the news report the speed limit in that area is 70kmh. So the boat was well and truly exceeding the speed limit.

I had mates that were involved in ski racing and at the time they gave me my first ride in their boat, it had already been clocked at 110+ kmh with more development to be done . It was certainly a buzz.

I've got no problems with speed but there's a time and place. Busy waterways are never the place.

Luc

Jitlands
18-08-2005, 07:15 AM
No amount of regulation or laws will stop people driving boats or cars beyond the machines or their own limits. Its a tradgedy for the kids left without a Dad but luckily only those taking the risks where involved, not an innocent family out on the water.
I have lived on the Gold Coast for 12 years and fish the Broardwater or Tweed every weekend. I have never been pulled up by water police or fisheries.
Whats the point of regulations and laws withut enforcement?

rando
18-08-2005, 09:14 AM
I had a very near miss one christmas down near the "bedroom" when a bulletboat doing 60mph missed the stern of my Trailer-sailor by centimetres.This within metres of children on tyres etc.
I too have no time for people who take risks with other peoples safety.
However two of the people injured in this accident were passengers( including the chap who lost his life) they probably had no idea of the capability of the boat and certainly no control over the situation they were in.
My sympathy to both,
The idiot on the throttle now has to live with the consequences of his actions.
That area is just too busy to be going flat stick
rando

Bosunsmate
18-08-2005, 10:26 AM
No amount of regulation or laws will stop people driving boats or cars beyond the machines or their own limits. Its a tradgedy for the kids left without a Dad but luckily only those taking the risks where involved, not an innocent family out on the water.
I have lived on the Gold Coast for 12 years and fish the Broardwater or Tweed every weekend. I have never been pulled up by water police or fisheries.
Whats the point of regulations and laws withut enforcement? #

IMO......Regradless of who, where, how or why, without policing and enforcement all the rules and regs in the world are absolutely useless, just look at the mobile phone issue, how many Mum's with kids speeding at usually 80 in a 60 zone (this is the most common sight here in Townsville) in the 4WD do you see everyday with the phone up to their ear while driving around oblivious to the rest iof the world.

LAWS ARE USELESS UNLESS THEY ARE ENFORCED.........

(Rapidly expanding bait does wonders for cruisers that brush too close, does'nt damage them too much, but the sounders & electronics don't like the sound waves too much.)

Sportfish_5
18-08-2005, 10:47 AM
Well said Brett.

Billo
18-08-2005, 11:36 AM
Quite simple ....

TOO MANY IDIOTS IN THE GOLD COAST WATERWAYS !

Every time i have been down there i feel liking jumping out and cracking a few tossers !

The broadwater is a sh!tfight ...jet skis coming from every angle hammering across you wake and in front , the big cruises hammering along spitting up wakes of 1m + ...kiaks , water skiers , swimmers , jet boats , parasailing you name it ...all going on in some of the skinnier waterways around and couldn't care less about each other !
last time i was down there , a bunch of muppets got peeved off with me for 'coming too close to them whilst they were swimming ' ...my response wa next time you float around dog paddling in front of the boat ramp , i will make sure i hit you ! Gooses !,...and they continued to just sit there , just head bobbing around in the water 50 metres out behind the boat ramp

Every time i see a 60 foot cruiser come out of their posh little canal to anchor up for lunch 300 metres from their home , i feel like throwing bricks at them !

The go seems to be , get in the middle of everyone so they can all see how much money you have WASTED on big boats you don't use for crap ( get a picnic blanket !! ), or show off how loud you jet ski can scream ..or how fast your boat can go.

It was an accident waiting to happen , and i am sure we will see MUCH more like it in the future

I don't mean to sound personal , i am sure there is a lot of good honest boaties down there .... .but sorry , you're outnumbered by TOSSERS

boatboy50
18-08-2005, 02:32 PM
Hey Guys,

Havn't bitten with this one yet but the time has come.

Im not a speed fan at all. Far from it.

I did know these guys (not very well) through friends and they were extremely experienced, and yes they all knew the risks involved.

Speeds such as these are technically illegal, but so are the seaplanes and a myrad of other things I see on the water for various reasons (not that that makes it OK, merely that that goes unnoticed too).

In ten years on the Gold Coast Broadwater, I have been pulled up more than 10 times for checks, so the policing is certainly prevalent.

Only the driver involved can make the decision whether what he was doing was safe, and it's one he will think about for the rest of his life, if he survives his situation.

I do wish to note that this accident happened after 5pm, just before sunset on a Sunday afternoon. Unlikely to be a "busy" time, when most people are at home washing their pride and joy, whilst the water is glass calm as it generally is on sunset.

The accident also happened south of Couran Cove Resort (a watersports beach with kayaks and swimmers during the day), which is one of the widest points of deep water in the region.

My point is it is not our place to pick on this situation, why people don't worry about their own lives before whinging about everyone else is beyond me.

Let the police deal with it, as im certain they will, as laws were being broken and someone has died.

My thoughts and best wishes to any family members who may read this.

Regards

Darren

Burley_Boy
18-08-2005, 03:37 PM
Hear hear Darren.
I also agree with Billo and the busy waterways here have made me concerned about sending the kids out in a tinny on the weekend. Its the inconsiderate or foolish people on the water that worry me with them.
I don't know if this driver was inconsiderate or foolish to the same extent I don't know if the skipper of an offshore vessel that goes down in the Seaway was inconsiderate or foolish or just pushed it just a fraction too far.

VP1
18-08-2005, 04:14 PM
I have seen figures on here suggesting the gentleman was driving at up to 140 km an hour. That converted to knots is 75.59395. That is ALMOST twice the figure legally allowed of 40 knots. (2 x = 148.16km per hour)
Wether an "experienced" person on the water, or an experienced person on land such as a someone like Peter Brock, if they were to maim or kill anyone in my family especially in the public arena, I would be equally distraught and obviously severely pissed.
The comparison could be drawn if Peter Brock were to drive down the Pacific highway doing 220km an hour at sunset with other road users around. Experienced or not, the man was nothing short of a menace to himself and to others. The difference of course is that experience tells Peter Brock NOT TO DRIVE at 220km an hour on the open road.
Cars at least have brakes and look how many of our kids are killed every day racing on the roads and we say bloody hoons or fools but for some reason on here some are infering he was unlucky, that he was experienced so therefore it's not quite as bad.
Having said that, I do feel sympathy for the driver of the boat, he killed his friend, someones son, and possibly a father and a husband. If he is any sort of a man, no punishment will match what he will likely put himself through. My condolences to him, but more importantly the family of the victim he created through his foolishness and LACK of experience. There is a time and a place for everything as said earlier in the post, this was not a controlled situation and obviosly not the time nor the place as also suggested.

My 2 bobs worth

cooky
18-08-2005, 09:37 PM
80 in a 60 zone (this is the most common sight here in Townsville) in the 4WD do

i live in townsville and wish this was more the case. I've been sick and tired of all the sunday drivers in townsville for years. 60 in 80km zones is what I get every day - try living in kirwan and driving dalyrmple road every day. Try woolcock street.

I must admit i do agree there is a lot of lack of attention examples, but it's usually the people in sunday cruise mode thinking they're safe because they're following the 'rules'.

Although I agree talking on a mobile phone diverts attention, I must admit i find it interesting that until laws were released it was quite accepted. I'm still waiting for the police to fine me because I'm talking to my passengers whilst driving. We just live in a society which is fortunately and obviously law abiding in the main - but I still find it funny how we follow like sheep.

bigal
19-08-2005, 02:41 AM
the guy in question was in a class ocean race boat that has a wealh of experience in racing high speed ofshore power boats. i say to all you wankers that say its no loss, enjoy ur worthless life as accidents happen and the water is an incredible resource that must be shared between the masses. it is not just there for fisherman it is there for everyone. i feel by saying this, you guys will realise that, there is now yet a nother greving family on the coast, if one of there members was to get on here and see the negative comments u guys made about this poor man then u will bring us all into disrepute and bring down a shite storm round ausfish. there is that many usless fisherman in boats running round with no lights, no idea what to do in a boat or even the saftey involved in using them for us not to pass judgement on one group. think about this when u accidently exceed the speed limit, or maby have a few on ur boat, or for some unforsaken instance get inot trouble on the roads, if ur life was taken would it be right for race car drivers to say these things about oyu. i think not.

maztez
19-08-2005, 07:12 AM
Big Al I believe you have hit the nail on the head .....well said what right have we to pass judgement on this whilst not being involved or aware of the facts
condolences to the family
Maztez

Brejen
19-08-2005, 07:36 AM
Big Al and MAZTEZ
TRUE TRUE TRUE. What if one of those grieving were one of us. I pass my sympathys to those invovled. And leave the judgement to the professionals....And thats not us!!!!!!!!!

Brett

Billo
19-08-2005, 02:26 PM
My statement was not directed at the individual involved ....as i do not know ALL the details in the accident , nor the abilities of the person involved ..i was not there , so i can only comment on heresay ..i can however comment on the growing dilemma of over crowded waterways.

It is a fact that there are many boaties ( fisherman included ) on the gold coast water ways that show no concern for any one elses wellfare. Yes , this happens EVERYWHERE around the country....but you would think with the sheer number of people in the water down there people would be more carefull .

There could have been many factors involved ,...which i hear there was ...all of which should not have happened and not all of which were in control of this driver / owner himself .

The fact remains with what i have seen personally , i am surprised there is not more accidents with serious consequences .

One thing i can directly say , is you say he ' was extremelly experienced ' ..
Experience does not mean you are safe to do as you please ...the less experience people will be put in harms way as they are not knowledgable enough to make a judgement on another boats speed / direction / mobility ...and can not make a decision on how to avoid danger ...they will soimetimes make a decision that put all in danger . Then who's fault is it ? the experienced driver that broke the law but knew what he was doing and would have avoided danger if the other guy knew what he was doing ? #or the other boaty that didn't think to turn right to get out of the way ??

your right ....we cannot judge this single man with 100% accuracy......but i can say that if i was in a position of doing something i knew was wrong and i knew why the law was there , i could not expect everyone to feel sorry for me, and more then likely would expect earfulls from eberywhere .....we are in a community such that every decision we make effects another life ...and there will be people critical of that ...thats just a fact of life

IT IS a sad loss .......but should be a wake up call to all !
Just because your good at controlling your own actions , doesn't mean you have control of the actions of people around you .....no matter how good you are, there is ALWAYS an exception !