PDA

View Full Version : Marine Park Decision Making - NSW Style

gunna
18-08-2005, 07:13 AM
In NSW there is State MP, Jon Jenkins, for the Outdoor Party who is constantly nagging the Government on decisions about things like closure of 4x4 areas 's or the creation of Marine Parks etc. I thought you might be interested in the Government's response that Jon has documentented in his news letter regarding community input to decisions on creation of marine parks with subsequent bans on fishing in those areas. Reminds me of similar decisions made about the GBR and why we need to have someone like the Fishing Party in Qld going to bat for us. Read on :

It seems that the Government’s “consultation process” with the community with regard to the creation of a Marine Park at Cape Byron has been just a formality;
part of a predetermined process prior to declaring the final zoning plans for Cape Byron. I found this out in Parliament Question time on 23rd March when I asked the Minister of Primary Industries to explain his response to another question when he stated he had “got it right” with the sanctuary zone guideline figure with respect to both the Lord Howe Island and Byron Bay sanctuary zones and that “we will be basing our future actions on marine parks on similar sorts of decision making.” This is irrespective of overwhelming community opposition and scientific doubt over the benefits of total no-take areas. The Minister replied, “names on petitions do not necessarily translate to real community support on the issues!” Therefore I can only conclude the 6000+ submissions including my own were futile.

We now know that the 30% figure is the benchmark for future marine parks: irrespective of the fact that fisheries management thinking has evolved to a point where most marine scientists and international scientific bodies are questioning the benefits of no-take areas. There is no turning back, no compromise and no room for consideration of new research findings on the extremists agenda. It seems clear the Government is carrying out a long term strategy of killing off recreational fishing: on June 2nd the Government declared increases in recreational fishing licence fees for both fresh and saltwater anglers!! This is nothing short of war by attrition on recreational fisherman! So it’s going to cost more just to be able to “wet a line” in NSW: under the pretence of using these revenues for “maintaining” fishing havens (which incidentally are being systematically reduced) as well as using this money to buy out the commercial operators. In response to my question in Parliament on March 23rd the Hon. Ian McDonald stated, “$4.3 million will be available for a commercial buy-out in that park.” Now we know how; the Government is taking from Peter (recreational fishermen) to give to Paul (commercial fishermen)
and then banning them BOTH!!

The_Walrus
19-08-2005, 11:27 PM
The meaning of "consultation", first you CON them then you INSULT them.

Luc

gif
20-08-2005, 07:17 AM
I have seen exactly how it works

First the public Servants make up their mind - sometimes involving the Politicians sometimes not.

Then it goes for consultation to a select few. But if you disagree too much you are never invited to comment again.

Then finally it goes for public comment – as a finished document. By that stage they “own“the document and their focus are to defend it from public comments - and not to improve it with public comments.

It is packaged and managed is such a way that it will get passed the public period. When I hear the Public Servants talking, their whole posture and phrasing is as if the public was the enemy. When I mentioned the word democracy they look at me strangely.

I have seen this in NSW, Canberra and Qld - as a consultant on the inside.

Yes Minister was on TV - it was called a comedy but its closer to a documentary.

How to succeed? Lobby Now BEFORE the documents get public. There are plans for Marine Parks all around Australia. The trouble is when I try to get people to lobby now (eg about the closures to Moreton Bay) everyone says “It will never happen” and when I point out that there is written proof they still would rather do nothing.

We are our own worst enemy by being lazy and dumb.

Gary