PDA

View Full Version : Yeeeehaa! was:Got It! was : Would You Believe It!

bidkev
16-08-2005, 01:31 PM
Thanks everyone for the serious suggestions, the sympathy, the light-hearted wise-cracks, the compliments on the house and pool, and the "mateship". This is a cracking website is it not?

The server's mail has been down for 3 days and the web for 36hrs and today I've switched to broadband. The speed with which my mail and your responses loaded is phenomenal compared to the old dial-up. It is also pretty frightening as I now have over 300 e-mails and all your responses to answer. rather than go into individual responses I'l tell you what's happened..............I'VE BOUGHT THE BUGGER SO SOD 'EM!

I signed up and got as much for the catmobile in trade in as I paid for it. I only asked them a trade-in price to see what they would offer. I was then gonna stick a couple of grand on it and try sell it privately but their offer was break even so I've had the run of her for a couple of years for free. I'll miss the old gal

Not named the new gal.....that's the deckie's perogative but we've had her on the drive and the draw bar comes 1 metre over the boundary line.

Went to the council and spoke to a nice chap who basically said, "look mate, yes it's illegal but it isn't interfering with anyone and you've grassed over 5 metres of nature strip for us so we ain't gonna come gunning for you.......that is unless some whingeing busybody lodges a complaint." We're not saying you can do it, but if it was me I'd go for it"

We'll I've gone for it

If there ever was an objection we would remove the rockery and make a flat and sit her diagonal.

It'll be a few weeks to delivery as there's some detailing and transfer of electrics from kingtin to be done. The storm covers are having a zippable hatch inserted and also a full weather cover is being made. One more *major* hurdle
Tha paj only pulls one and a half ton and Sea Legend goes 2 so the retailer is storing till we get another vehicle and then that will need the elec/hydraulic brakes sorting.

Donkwise we went for the Mercruiser 4.3MPI 220horse.

Wet trial on Friday arvo and if that's ok (no doubts about that), it's a done deal.

I can't believe the deckie is so taken with it.......Jeeeez I love her [smiley=love.gif] [smiley=smitten.gif] [smiley=iloveyou.gif]

Will post some pics when the rig's home

cheers

kev.....(wetting himself)

DALEPRICE
16-08-2005, 01:36 PM
congrats on gettin the new rig
i bet your over the moon ;D
cheers dale

GES
16-08-2005, 01:53 PM
Good on ya Kev.
This is something for your whole family to enjoy. What the hell is money for if it's not to make 'em all happy. Get stuck into those catties and big shovelies mate. ;D
This rig will take some of the pounding out of the old back too, I think.

GES

mossy43
16-08-2005, 02:28 PM
Well done Kev you will not be sorry with that boat I can tell you. Mossy

David_P
16-08-2005, 02:38 PM
Sounds like a nice boat Kev. If interested I have an old (1989)Maverick 4.2 litre petrol wagon for sale, $7500. Can also source a brake kit to suit the sens-a-brakes if needed.

Dave.

gawby
16-08-2005, 02:38 PM
Good onya Kev, you are going to do what you do well. Congrats to you and the deckie.
Graeme

rando
16-08-2005, 03:21 PM
Congratulations Kev, looking forward to fresh reports across the board.
Rando

Burley_Boy
16-08-2005, 03:30 PM
Plant a tree or something on the nature strip and the drawbar will be protected. ;)
Onya Kev, but doesn't this mean you're now too classy for camping at the bedrooms and you'll have to moor at Wavebreak island with the rest of the champagne brigade :-/

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
16-08-2005, 04:03 PM
Congrats to you and your wife Kev. You have damn good reason to love her I reckon :-*. A loving wife, beautiful home and gardens, kids, and now the big unit. You must have a direct line to God! :D

Cheers mate and goodonya

Dave

CHRIS_aka_GWH
16-08-2005, 04:11 PM
your deckie must be up to something ....

how much guilt is a Whittley worth #;)

I would love to own a Whittley Kev & I'm only halfway to the age bracket - - now you'll need to accessorize - one of those fancy Stainless BBQs, a silly skippers hat & oh yes a wine cooler ... #:-*

what'll the lady's name be?

chris

steve_n
16-08-2005, 06:02 PM
Good on ya Kev,
let us know when you think of a name for the new rig and me and the
missus will keep an eye out for you out on the bay.
Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission!!!
YIP YAH
Regards
Steve

ahjayem
16-08-2005, 06:03 PM
Congratulations Kev!! and the missus too!! Has she got a spare sister?

Also great to see the Council has a dose of the "sensibles" too.

Tight lines RJM

gunna
17-08-2005, 05:17 AM
I will say good onya too. Just to get this back on the 1st page after dickwit bigjews banished all the recent posts to older pages ;D ;D ;D

gogecko
17-08-2005, 05:42 AM
Well done Kingtin. Nice to see you got to the right person in the council, and commonsense prevailed.

Kiktz
17-08-2005, 06:00 AM
Great Show, All the best Kevy.
MAke sure you lay plenty of hugs and kisses on the Missus.

all the best

Aj

bidkev
17-08-2005, 09:01 AM
Sounds like a nice boat Kev. If interested I have an old (1989)Maverick 4.2 litre petrol wagon for sale, $7500. Can also source a brake kit to suit the sens-a-brakes if needed.

Dave.

Cheers Dave but the deckie's got her eye on a Land Cruiser. Judging by her choice in boats I ain't gonna argue with her ;D

cheers

kev

bidkev
17-08-2005, 12:32 PM
Good onya Kev, you are going to do what you do well.

Graeme

Catch *more* catties? ;D

bidkev
17-08-2005, 12:34 PM
Plant a tree or something on the nature strip and the drawbar will be protected. ;)
Onya Kev, but doesn't this mean you're now too classy for camping at the bedrooms and you'll have to moor at Wavebreak island with the rest of the champagne brigade :-/

Nah mate. I'll still slum it with the best. Crusoe and a hole in the ground dunny is good enough for me :-) I'll just need more beach to moor her that's all ;)

cheers

kev

bidkev
17-08-2005, 12:36 PM
Congrats to you and your wife Kev. You have damn good reason to love her I reckon :-*. A loving wife, beautiful home and gardens, kids, and now the big unit. You must have a direct line to God! :D

Cheers mate and goodonya

Dave

Thanks Dave. It's taken a long time but I think I can now consider myself a very lucky bastard in a very lucky country.

cheers

kev

bidkev
17-08-2005, 01:19 PM
your deckie must be up to something ....

how much guilt is a Whittley worth #;)

I would love to own a Whittley Kev & I'm only halfway to the age bracket - - now you'll need to accessorize - one of those fancy Stainless BBQs, a silly skippers hat & oh yes a wine cooler ... #:-*

what'll the lady's name be?

chris

You forgot the blue and white deck shoes Chris ;D

Not sure about the name yet. Something based around the deckie's family name of Sole. The money came by way of her parents both dying last year. They were both ex navy as is the deckie.

She was very close to her dad. He ran away during the war and lied about his age (15) in order to join up. Just a working class kid who went on to serve for 48 yrs becoming a Lt Commander MBE. Cracking bloke and salt of the earth.

He was torpedoed on the Bonaventure and he never went in the water after that.
http://www.world-war.co.uk/index.php3

Told me a yarn about him and the other survivors being taken to Gibralter. Of course, all their clothes were oil ridden and the only clothing they had in the stores on Gibralter were Army pyjamas. They kitted them out in them and he yarns about how all 300 of them went down town on the piss in pyjamas :-) in memory of their lost mates. I think about 140 of them went down with the ship :-(

They broke the mold when they made him :-)

It's a small world because we have all the plaques from the ships that he served in and one is the Diamantina which was sold to Australia. He served here with the Australian Navy and then the deckie was born here making her dual nationality. We were gobsmacked when we first went to southbank and saw that the ship was there!

But I digress......yet again ;D

Anyway, we thought it would be nice if we named the rig after him.....something like Sole Survivor or Sole Searching.......something that plays on his family name as a tribute to him and his hard earned cash paying for it. I smile when I think of the family name :) He once said that he was going to name the deckie Rachel but changed it to his second choice which was Bridget. He said that the initial for "Rachel" would mean the Bridget would have to sign her name as "RSole" ;D

cheers

kev

2iar
17-08-2005, 01:50 PM
Hi Kev,

It's gotta be:

"Oh Sole Mio"

My sun?

Naming rights granted if I'm considered for a deckie position. Not in the same context that Bridget's a deckie, mindyou ;D

Thankyouverymuch,

Mike

2iar
17-08-2005, 02:07 PM
Hi Kev,

I'm replying to my own posts here, that's a worry ;D

To add further weight to my O Sole Mio case, you might also want to consider that the music was flogged and the lyric rewritten for Elvis' "It's Now or Never" - quite interesting in the context of your previous quandry on whether you should buy the boat based on your age, the cost etc.

Just some food for thought...

Mike

bidkev
17-08-2005, 03:08 PM
Thanks for that Mike. I really like the idea. I'll put it to the deckie.

cheers

kev

Brejen
17-08-2005, 03:58 PM
On ya Kev great to see you and the wife are loving it all. Will have to do a M&G at the bedrooms when you get the new girl.
Excellent mate brought a smile to the face when I read you just decided to buy her. Mate also the wifes Dad must have been a smart man to change her name; SHE DEFFINATELY isn't a Racheal (R)Sole. All the Best to you both.
Brett

basserman
17-08-2005, 03:59 PM
Traded 4 my Sole ;)

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
17-08-2005, 04:07 PM
'Heart and Sole'

Cheers
Dave

CHRIS_aka_GWH
17-08-2005, 04:18 PM
Anyway, we thought it would be nice if we named the rig after him..... ..... or Sole Searching.......

I like that one Kev.

I, a long time ago on these boards, related to Nugget after he posted a "vale" to a mate who'd moved on, that I'd read somewhere that the ancient Celts being a seafaring mob believed that those amongst them that were gone to this earth became stars in the night sky to guide them home ...

its a comforting thought - & it might sound a bit wanky but I try to pick which one's my old man when I fish the beach at night so i can have a chat ...

I haven't met you but your wish to honour a man of worth says bucket loads about your own character kev!

chris

bidkev
17-08-2005, 04:56 PM
On ya Kev great to see you and the wife are loving it all. Will have to do a M&G at the bedrooms when you get the new girl.
Excellent mate brought a smile to the face when I read you just decided to buy her. Mate also the wifes Dad must have been a smart man to change her name; SHE DEFFINATELY #isn't a Racheal (R)Sole. All the Best to you both.
Brett

Thanks Brett. Don't know about the bedrooms though, with 6 of us and those rangers chasing their pennies ;)

cheers

kev

Burley_Boy
17-08-2005, 05:00 PM
How about Sole Reminder or just plain and simple Sole.

bidkev
17-08-2005, 05:07 PM
<snip>

I haven't met you but your wish to honour a man of worth says bucket loads about your own character kev!

chris

And the fact that you don't mind sounding a bit "wanky" :) to speak as you feel says a lot about you too Chris.

Thanks for that mate and I'll get the deckie to read your post when she gets in from work. May even sit on the deck with a tipple and have a chat to the stars :-)

cheers mate

kev

bidkev
17-08-2005, 05:08 PM
<snip>

chris

And the fact that you don't mind sounding a bit "wanky" :) to speak as you feel says a lot about you too Chris.

Thanks for that mate and I'll get the deckie to read your post when she gets in from work. May even sit on the deck with a tipple and have a chat to the stars :-)

cheers mate

kev

bidkev
17-08-2005, 05:09 PM
<snip>

chris

cheers mate

kev

2iar
17-08-2005, 09:37 PM
Thanks for that Mike. I really like the idea. I'll put it to the deckie.

Me too mate, I hope it's a winner. A bit soppy, but since we seem to have entered "group-hug" mode, there's also "Bless My Sole".

However, a more cynical & distasteful man than I ;D might suggest:-

Sole Beneficiary ;D ;D ;D ;D
Sole Dependant

Let us know how you go, mate, and good luck in her whatever she's called.

Mike

PinHead
18-08-2005, 01:23 AM
As you know Kev..lost my mum last Xmas day and my dad in early March on my birthday...both from that dreaded cancer...so I am in the same situation ..boat via inheritance...so we have kept the name of the new boat simple..."TMD"...stands for Thanks Mum and Dad.

gunna
18-08-2005, 07:34 AM
Have to be Sole Mate wouldn't it ;D ;D

Mr__Bean
18-08-2005, 08:25 AM
...so I am in the same situation ...

Jeepers Fella,

Careful, thought you were going to tell us YOU had cancer there for a minute.

- Darren

3Vs
18-08-2005, 10:09 AM
Forgive me - I had a late night at work and got thinking.

X-SOLE-ENT
SOLE-UTION
SOLE-OOT #(as in salute)
SOLE-UTATIONS
IN-SOLE-UBULL
SOLE-R (add suffix such as "power")

On a lighter note

GAS-SOLE-INE
DE-SOLE
RAZ-SOLE DAZ-SOLE
FOS-SOLE (YOUR'E NOT THAT OLD)
UNIVERS-SOLE
VES-SOLE
CON-SOLE

I need to stop this

Hoges
18-08-2005, 10:35 AM
Forgive me - I had a late night at work and got thinking.

X-SOLE-ENT
SOLE-UTION
SOLE-OOT (as in salute)
SOLE-UTATIONS
IN-SOLE-UBULL
SOLE-R (add suffix such as "power")

On a lighter note

GAS-SOLE-INE
DE-SOLE
RAZ-SOLE DAZ-SOLE
FOS-SOLE (YOUR'E NOT THAT OLD)
UNIVERS-SOLE