PDA

View Full Version : Migratory Shorebird Protection Plan..oh..oh!!

kc
22-08-2005, 03:30 PM
Hmmm!! Is there a bit of ground hog day on its way.

The latest "discussion paper" doing the rounds is the Migratory Shorebird Protection Plan...covered by the EPA's Environmental Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (one of 2 acts which control the Great Barrier Reef)...............guess what punters!!

Under the ""Threats"" to migratory shorebirds the following little gem exists................

""Disturbance to migratory shorebirds may occur as a result of many activities, such as industrial operations & construction, recreational fishing, four wheel driving on beaches, unleashed dogs and jet sking to name a few""

The "Discussion paper".............and I use that term with scepticism borne of bitter experience.....goes on to list some 34 species of birds and 260 sites of "International importance" on the Australian Coast.

It is already the case that on top of green, yellow and pink zones on the GBR there are also a number of bird roosting sites where vessels can not approach with 500 meters and no beach access is allowed.

One would have "hoped" that the now identified sites of international importance on the GBR would have been included in the green zones..............ha!

Is it just me being my usual paranoid self or are they really out to get us??

Personally I have no problem with exclusion from important wading bird nesting sites.makes sense. Roosting sites is another kettle of fish altogether. My beef is these new round of exclusions will come on top of, not as part of, the loss of axcess we have already had to endure.

Where will it end??...............at the ballot box!

Regards

KC

GES
22-08-2005, 09:02 PM
Is there not an area in Pumicestone Passage already closed to fishing because of migratory bird protection ?

This is a precedent that can be used to justify many more migratory bird protection areas at recreational fishers expense.

The EPA managers will already have a plan of action and areas selected for closure before any of this hits the street. It's then just a matter of them "selling it" to the Minister.

GES

dasher
22-08-2005, 09:26 PM
Doesn't matter Kev, why should we care, probably won't happen in our time eh :-? Let's just continue on with what we are doing and stuff the buggas that are following. :'(

TonyM
22-08-2005, 09:32 PM
hmmmm certainly sounds familiar....

The gss proposal includes roosting sites mentioned for the closure of Duck (picnic) Island didn't it? :-/

Next things they'll be protecting the bl**dy shags that live on the man made dams..... How far are these people going to go to regulate "being an Australian" to death? I know I probably sound like a looney on his soapbox but it's almost like they want us to feel guilty for our lifestyle!

No WAY do I feel guilty about being responsible and tidying up after tourists when I'm out enjoying myself and leaving nothing more than footprints! >:(