PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Brisbane - where should we live????

Mr__Bean
15-08-2005, 07:44 PM
G'Day Guys,

After a bit of input if OK.

The company I work for is being taken over and I need to move from Victoria to Brisbane at the end of the year.

Trouble is I know jack sh#t about where to look to live.

We currently live in a small country town on a 1 acre block and enjoy a semi rural lifestyle. The new job will have me working at the hangars behind Brisbane Airport and I hope to travel no more than about 45 minutes to and from work.

Are there semi rural townships within that type of travel time that would offer the larger blocks whilst still being affordable? The internet provides great access to view homes for sale etc, but it assumes you know the names of the suburbs (I don't).

Preferable budget would be around 350-400K, but would go higher if had to.

Your thoughts please guys, and how far to decent fishing grounds for an 8 metre plate ally (happy to travel for fish).

Thanks.

- Darren

chemmy
15-08-2005, 07:52 PM
the real estate isn't cheep any where any more but the good news is your moving to the best sate in australia and the best lifestyle known to man so welcome in advence.

Oh and 40km offshore is all you really have to travel to get some very nice fish.

Big_Kev
16-08-2005, 01:52 AM
North of the river is where it sounds you will want to go.
Burpengary, Caboolture,Redcliffe,Deception bay, Wamuran maybe. The back of the airport could take an extra half hour as oposed to the main entrance. The traffic gets mighty heavy at times.The airport isn't well placed for acerage living close by. #
That way you will be just up the road to Coloundra to fish the Barwons and from Bribie etc.
You will need more money than 400k I would think.
Some of the other guys will know some more spots to check out for somewhere to live. #

cabfisher
16-08-2005, 03:49 AM
Hi Well Caboolture is well placed and about 20 minets from airport With a great shopping center at Morayfield Thats the next sub, 45 ks north of brisbane.
25ks to Redcliff. same to Bribe Island and about 40 ks to Marloolaba. All great spots to launch your boat and Marloolarba
best and closest to reefs.why dont you take a few days off and fly up here and Take a look around.No Idear of acreage
But rent for a house in caboolture $200.00 per week and thats close to every thing.
Hope this helps cheers Harry

Zeeke
16-08-2005, 07:10 AM
Northern Suburbs of Melb sounds good.. Qld has a "No Vacancy" Sign up ;D

Tim

bidkev
16-08-2005, 12:49 PM
Acreage is hard to find now mate but that money will put you on about 800sq 3 or 4 bedroom in Bracken Ridge and 15 minutes to airport.

You'd have to put up with me living close though :-)

cheers

kev

jimbo59
16-08-2005, 01:08 PM
3-400 wil get u part acerage in camira which is west of brissy about 45 mins to airport on a busy day.Its semi rural but still has water on tap.

Mr__Bean
16-08-2005, 06:53 PM
Thanks guys,

Appreciate the input.

Looks like we will be extending the budget, I didn't realise prices had escalated so far in recent years.

Going to fly up with the missus and just drive around on Saturday and Sunday to get a feel for the place, look for suburbs, schools etc and will include your recommendations, thanks.

Kev, I saw the pictures of your place in another post, can you message me an "indicative price" for a place like that in the area you mention? No sticky nose details, just an indicative ball park price range.

- Darren

Mr__Bean
16-08-2005, 06:56 PM
Hey Zeeke,

Maybe when we do move, we could catch up and I could take you out for a days fishen.

Then push you overboard. ;D ;D ;D

- Darren

bidkev
17-08-2005, 08:39 AM
Thanks guys,

Appreciate the input.

Looks like we will be extending the budget, I didn't realise prices had escalated so far in recent years.

Going to fly up with the missus and just drive around on Saturday and Sunday to get a feel for the place, look for suburbs, schools etc and will include your recommendations, thanks.

Kev, I saw the pictures of your place in another post, can you message me an "indicative price" for a place like that in the area you mention? No sticky nose details, just an indicative ball park price range.

- Darren

Mate, we bought the land 2 yrs ago for 160 and we designed the house ourselves and it cost 220 to build. The plot is 720 squares but it's very narrow (15 meters) which is why there's so much room for the pool at the back end. House prices have stabilised (I think) but you'd probably pay 220 to 240 for a plot like ours now.

My personal opinion is that looking for a plot and building is out on your budget (bearing in mind that you want to be near the airport) but I'm sure you'd find a bargain pre-built in my area as it's really slowed down atm.

If you want to call in when you're up here I can show you round the area with particular attention to the boat ramps :-)
May well save you a car hire fee as well and you're welcome to bunk up here and I can pick you up from the airport. Do your own thing if that's your preference but it may save you a few bob and it'd good to be able to look after fellow ausfishers.

There's 3 real estate offices practically on my doorstep and I've dealt with 'em all in the past.

cheers

kev

peterbo3
17-08-2005, 10:44 AM
Buy in a suburb wheres there's no members just for peace and quite, or move to the hole in the wall called mooloolaba and tim the bream can give u a lesson in frangers ;D

Mr__Bean
17-08-2005, 04:04 PM
Thanks Kev, very much appreciate the details and the offers for assistance.

As it turns out I have today organised similar with a guy I will be working with, so will have to go with that for now.

But as said, do appreciate the offers.

Have got some suburb names and now surfing through the on-line real estate sites, which are actually quite helpful.

Peterbo,

Not quite sure what I am missing in your post, but I am sure it means something to someone.

Thanks guys,

- Darren

Cheech
17-08-2005, 04:24 PM
Darren,

Now knowing what I now know,,,,,

If I was moving to Brisbane, and you had a larger boat, and wanted to fish the bay or of shore. Or even if you had a smaller boat,,, The place I would go would be sandgate/Shornecliffe.

This is a tucked away area reasonably close to the city with no through traffic. Is on the water. 30 minutes from Mud Island. One of the closest ramps from Morton Island/Tangalooma. Close enough to go around the cape to Hutchies/tempest. Has a train station to get to the city for work. Is close to the freeway that goes north to Mooloolabah or south to the Pin. Has it's own river/creek (Cabage tree creek and not far from the pine river.) Is very close to nudgee creek if you are into casting for prawns.

The ramps are not busy. Northern ramps are a lot less busy than southern ramps.

What more could you want?

I would move there if the kids wern't settled in school.

Cheech

bidkev
17-08-2005, 04:39 PM
You're right Cheech but Sandgate prices have gone through the roof the last 2 yrs. If I'd've had the money a cpouple of years ago, I'd be there like a shot, but as it is I'm only 5 minutes away.

cheers

kev

fishin_till_late
17-08-2005, 05:18 PM
Im not sure how many acreages are left in the redlands area which is just south of brisbane but its a nice area close to the bay. dont nkow prices either just know friends of the family there and its a ncie place.

dasher
17-08-2005, 06:03 PM
Darren some nice places here at reasonable prices but 3- 4 hour drive might be a bit much each day mate ;D [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

dasher
17-08-2005, 06:05 PM
Het Darren, now that the big buggas are coming up here what are the chances you can get a job here. ??? ::)

Jitlands
18-08-2005, 04:05 AM
I work close to the Brissy airport but live on the Gold Coast.
It take me 45 min in the morning and 55 min in the afternoon but on the weekends I am 10 min from the broardwater, 20 min from the Tweed, 40 min from Brusnwick and 70 min from Ballina. Its worth the weekly grind to get the best out of the weekend.

Brejen
18-08-2005, 04:20 AM
Darren have a look at the Jimboomba, Chambers flat area. GAWBY and i both live at Canungra in the Gold Coast Hinterland on acrage not far from Jimboomba. Takes about the same as Jitlands from our place to the airport, just a little further to the water is all, but hey thats the price you pay when the neigbours are not on your fence. The prices out here are still fairly good and are still coming down.... Mate know why you want the acrage would not go back to a house block now not for quids..... If your interested let me know and i'll look at some of the reality's in town for you and get you some idea's on prices etc...
Brett

beefaman
18-08-2005, 10:14 AM
If you only want to travel 45 minutes to work and live on acreage, and you are working at the airport, you need to ask the airport for a bit of their land....traffic is a real pain in the ringhole in the mornings and arvos!!
Glad I dont travel the gateway/sandgate rd anymore :o

Spectre
19-08-2005, 01:06 PM
G'day Darren

Mate prices seem to have stablised & perhasp even dropped in some areas, so your timing might be ok. :).
You may struggle to find acerage at that price tho. Part acerage might be worth a look.
There are a number of areas on the southside of Brisy (south of the Brisy River) that might be worth a look as well eg Birkdale, Gumdale, Sheldon, Redlands area etc. They are not far from the airport on the Gateway Arterial rd. & more importantly close to Moreton Bay for boating. :)

I don't reckon you would want to be dragging an 8 m paltey too far to get to the water.

Lots of option with a boat of that size, plenty of reefs not far offshore from Moreton, Straddie Islands & also Gold & Sunshine coasts etc.

Mate also if you still have those gal boat trailer wheels I am still keen. Haven't found an easy way of gettin em to Brisy yet, but if you are on the move....!! :)

I'll send you a pm with my contact details etc. Give us a yell if you need any info on anything in Brisvegas.

Cheers
Phil

WOOF
19-08-2005, 02:03 PM
Gidday Darren,

I work as a property valuer. If you need any info then send me a message.
More than happy to help so the agents dont burn you!
Your budget might be a bit low for acreage living close to the city/airport. Prices have doubled since 2000/2001......and basically havent moved since late 2003. Doesnt mean you cant get what you are looking for though. Many people are mortgaged to the eyeballs at the moment and the odd bargain is now appearing.
You'll love living up here.
Good luck, best wishes.

fishmum
19-08-2005, 04:36 PM
3-4K will get you a really NICE home in Redcliffe, on a larger block, or maybe a part acreage at Rothwell.......plenty of water, beautiful area, and if you give yourself enough time to go to work it will take around 40 mins to get there........sorry Southies, there just aint no where else in Brisvegas............ ;D

peterbo3
19-08-2005, 11:24 PM
Bean,
I don't understand my post either. Webby was using my computer when he was up here & could have written ANYTHING. :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Mr__Bean
22-08-2005, 10:02 PM
Thanks guys for the inputs.

Flew up on the weekend with the wife and 2 young sons (9 and 11), spent all day Saturday on the road with a map and some rough ideas but unfortunately it didn't start well.

A couple of hours in and we started to question why we were doing this, then we pulled in at Albany Creek for a break and more real estate info.

Checked out some of the areas around Cashmere and we think that is the general area for us. Need to spend a bit more and revise the expectations a bit, but we reckon that looks pretty much like us.

After a belly full of beer and much discussion on Saturday night we were pretty well convinced, kids had spent time in a mates pool whilst the Brisbane weather shone through on top of my partially bald mexican head.

Flew back to rain and cold wind and that was it, were going.

So, sorry to say, it looks like there will be yet another mexican family in the Brisbane area soon, sort out some details at work and if all works out we will be up at the end of the year.

Thanks again, without your early concepts of where to look we could have ended up anywhere.

Even had time to check out a boat for sale on the Gold Coast early Sunday morning.

- Darren

P.S. Sorry Spectre the wheels sold, I put them on EBAY and got about 3 times what I expected for them.