PDA

View Full Version : Heading to Moreton Island ..need advise

bungie
23-08-2005, 06:19 AM
I'm heading to Moreton Island for the first time Friday. I have never been 4wding ( I have an old Jackaroo), camping on sand, or fishing seriously land based. Any help or advise folks can give would be greatly appreciated.

bungie

blaze
23-08-2005, 08:11 AM
take it easy and have a good time whilst be mindful of the other users.
cheers
blaze
ps
I think its called common sense, well it used to be

-spiro-
23-08-2005, 08:25 AM
make sure that you lock your hub in ;D don't forget the stubbies
yep now your coverd ;D

Rusty_Hook
23-08-2005, 08:49 AM
Also I see many first timers come undone because they haven't let air out of their tyres. Make sure you drop them to at least 20PSI and see how you go from there. The whole island is sand, so you won't do them any harm.

Maria
23-08-2005, 10:59 AM
Drop your tyre pressure, indicate which way you intend to pass people on the beach (head on), keep your speed down on two way tracks (we almost had a head on with a bunch of clowns on Friday morning last week). Be prepared to make mistakes and learn from them - all part of the fun ;D. Take sand pegs for your tent. These can be bought from any camping shop. Normal pegs will pull out of sand in a matter of seconds. At the moment you can fish the rocks at North Point for bream and clean up in quite a short period of time. Plenty of bream and flatties along the beaches from North Point to Yellow Patch. Some good sized whiting in amongst em too.

Hope this helps.

Ben

liltuffy
23-08-2005, 12:54 PM
Hey Bungie, a great place to visit just don't tell everyone about it. All good advice above, let your tires down but not your guard. Fishing was pretty quiet last week and had to work hard for your fish.

saphire
23-08-2005, 07:37 PM
Hello Bungie,
First of all have a great time you are going to one of the best places in the whole world.
Just be aware that people on the beach may not hear your car because of the sound of the waves and wind. #
So drive slowly around people.
When you come to soft sand you have to gun it and try not to stop the car half way.#With bulging tyres though you should be right..
saphire.

Just_chips
23-08-2005, 08:33 PM
Make sure that you own your own snatch-strap if you do get stuck. I have had a few people pull me out occasionally but not many of them seem to have a strap, luckily I did. But it is better not to get stuck in the first place #:) Don't be disapointed if you do because it happens to everyone at some stage, it is all part of #the fun.

Oh, when you're camping on a sand island, sand will get into everything, and I mean everything!

Have fun and don't forget to post some reports/pics when you return.

Cheers Kev

Bill_Klein
23-08-2005, 09:15 PM
best advice i can add is get yourself one of those orange tide books at your local newsagent or tackle store and have a good read will give you all the tips you might come up against i never leave home without it i usually camp Teewah beach, Double island point, and like Just-chips said sand will get in everything so give everything a good wash down when u get back
have fun.

dnej
24-08-2005, 01:43 PM
Dont wait till you need 4wd, get the 4wd going before you need to use same. Dont be concerned that something is wrong, when you start driving on the sand ( Loose stuff), there is absolutely no run on, and you will be surprised at the revs you need.
On the hard stuff, its not an issue.
Keep any eye out for" white pointers", and dont run over any of them. Leave some for others.LOL
David

bungie
24-08-2005, 08:08 PM
thanks for all the advise. Will take it all in and hope it will help me get back on Sunday :)