PDA

View Full Version : Nag Nag Nag  

Dug
22-08-2005, 03:54 PM
I was up at Hervey bay on the weekend and got a shot of this tern. If you can see it there is a length of fishing line/trace coming out of its beak.

At the same location were 2 pelicans with line round their legs.

While I know Ausfish members dispose of line thoughtfully this is just a reminder of what happens when people don't. If you see line or plastics lying about, please do the right thing even if others don't

I was talking to an old guy on the jetty an Osprey/ sea eagle was caught in line and killed about a week ago its mate still flys over the jetty calling every day.

Needmorerum
22-08-2005, 06:50 PM
I agree Dug, it is well worth looking after the environment while we are out in it. All we need is to give the greenies and the rest of those cronies more ammo to attack our sports with.

Corry

saphire
22-08-2005, 07:22 PM
Thanks for bringing this to our attention Dug. Yes it is a repeated message but some messages need to be repeated.

Great photography.

Poor little thing :'(

-spiro-
23-08-2005, 08:52 AM
You see this a fair bit. How would the person resposible for this like the same do'n to them. Stupidty and Laziness. [smiley=angryfire.gif]

FNQCairns
23-08-2005, 01:42 PM
It gives me the poops bigtime,those that discard line >:(, a quick roll around between both palms has it under control for placing somewhere to be thoughtfully discarded of later.

Discarded line impacts are the only REAL environmental damage recreational fishing in Australia actually does and there is no excuse that is not also pathetic. fnq

el_carpo
23-08-2005, 02:12 PM
I bring a small plastic bag with me when fishing for this very purpose. I can't even guess how long a line I would have if I tied all the line I've gathered over the years end to end. I saw a Canadian goose all tied up and it's legs were mangled really bad in some line years ago. That image stays with me and I do all I can to prevent it from happening again. I also carry a larger bag with me to pick up all the trash I find. That's another topic.

One quick point to remember when disposing of the line though. Either cut it up into short pieces at home, burn it up with a match or lighter, or if available recycle it. I don't recall the name of the fishing line company that took used line but I know one did. Try not to just throw big clumps of it in the trash because it just goes into the land fills and seagulls and other animals get caught there. :-/

I know it's a kick in the neck to do it, but you all are doing the right thing picking up after the slobos out there.

E.C.

ang
23-08-2005, 08:17 PM
It is not hard but I dont think many do it :-[

Good topic :)

lordy
23-08-2005, 08:30 PM
20-30 years ago people littered like mad. Bottles, cans, packets etc just chuck them out the car window. There are still a few idiots and inconsiderates around but times change, thank goodness, and most do the right thing. Just how hard is it to shove in your pocket or plastic bag and take it home? Not very. Keep up the good fight Dug, you'll get a win.

theoldlegend
24-08-2005, 07:12 AM
Saw a pelican at Iluka with something red hanging out the side of it's neck the last time we were there. Got out the binocs and it was a lure!! There was no way anybody was going to get near it, but it looked as if it was OK.

I let the Fisheries mob in Maclean know about it. Don't know if anything happened after that.

TOL

theoldlegend
25-08-2005, 01:49 PM
Just got the September BnB in the mail today. There's an article on Page 31 about this very subject which is pretty sad. Don't like to read about things like that, but i guess it happens a lot. At least there was a good news story about the pelican.

I guess we can all play a part in this by picking up other people's discarded line etc and spreading the message.

TOL

markpeta
25-08-2005, 04:42 PM
Yes it is a terrible tragedy that there are idiots in the world that don't disgard there fishing line properly, but it is also terrible to hear that some of you guys are carrying plastic bags to disgard your fishing line. Plastic bags are one of the biggest killer to our marine wild life and although you guys are trying to be resposible and I applaud you for that , accidents can happen and plastic bags can get blown into our waterways and not to mention how long a plastic bag takes to break down and the damage that they do to our enviroment. How about thinking green and using something else other than a plastic bag.
Just a thought.
Peta

Dug
25-08-2005, 04:49 PM
I just went into the local school yard and collected a FULL garbage bag of lolly packets, chip bags, glad wrap and #plastic bags dropped by the school children.

If this is the education they are getting that it is OK to drop rubbish someone else will clean up after you #[smiley=angryfire.gif] [smiley=angryfire.gif] [smiley=angryfire.gif] [smiley=angryfire.gif] [smiley=angryfire.gif] NOT HAPPY JAN!

All this would go into a drain leading directly into the Maroochy river.

I remember what would happen at school if we got caught dropping so much as a Minty wrapper, [smiley=behead.gif] [smiley=hanged.gif] or worse!

I think I may have a talk to the headmaster tomorrow [smiley=bomb.gif]

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
25-08-2005, 08:22 PM
Discarding our waste is something that we are all becoming more conscious of. I have been out at sea many times and thrown out an empty packet of fags or thrown line over the side in years gone by. I'm not proud of that now, but as we become more educated so it is that we all must accept responsibilly for what we do and what we create. Knowledge breeds power. Not so many years ago we were bombarded by cigarette ads, Paul Hogan and co telling us how cool it is/was to smoke. All condoned by the government. Now those smokers are almost seen and portrayed as outcasts, by the government, and by society. People need time to digest things. Not everyone is perfect and eventually everyone, or almost everyone will get the message. The plastic bags and line we pick up may well have come from someone who was 'educated' that to throw it out was OK. It's not right now, but it was once. Please spare them a thought.

Cheers and happy collecting

Dave