PDA

View Full Version : Land based fishing locations

Nugget
23-08-2005, 09:48 AM
A lot of hard core fishos often forget that not everyone owns a boat.
If you had to go fishing this weekend without a boat - where would you go?

I'm not asking for your secret location - it might even be a well known spot but you've worked out when it fishes best / what bait to use etc.

This weekend will be a land based location special on 4BC (5 - 7am on 1116am or www.4bc.com.au)
If you'd like to share a location or info - post the details here and I'll read them out on 4BC this weekend - crediting you with the info of cause.

Dave ><>

Nugget
23-08-2005, 09:59 AM
I'll start with one spot many might not know about.
Drive down Mill Rd Woongoolba, then Homestead Rd, then Rocky Point Road untill almost at the ned.
Just before the hill - where the mangroves finish - turn right onto a dirt track - follow it till you can't go any further.
You can also follow Rocky Point Rd to the end where there is a little picnic area but the climb (slide) down to the water is a bit rough.
This is Little Rocky Point - fishes best on the top of the tide for bream and school jew.

Dave ><>

Big_unit
23-08-2005, 10:58 AM
A good family land based location is Mullen Creek, Cooloola Cove via Tin Can Bay. Follow Bayside Rd into Cooloola Cove and stay on it, the last 2 kms are gravel road which is always in good nick, you wont need a 4wd. There is a BBQ, picnic area and toilets. Its a very sheltered spot but its a fair walk to the water at low tide. Best time to fish is the incoming high tide as the sands flats come alive with Whiting, Sole, Flathead, Gar and even Trevally at times. Best baits are Squid strips, Prawns and Beach worms. Surface lures and rubbery things will produce fish on dead high tide.

Cheers
James

DNO40
23-08-2005, 12:21 PM
The Lillies... Gladstone.

Off the beach always produces.

dasher
23-08-2005, 12:27 PM
Urangan Pier Hervey Bay.
1st gutter for bread and butter fish
2nd guttter for anything!!!!!!!!!

beefaman
23-08-2005, 12:45 PM
Lota creek on low tide, walk over the mud flats and fish the main section. You can pump yabbies if you want, but the flatties love the SP's ;)

Also Shornecliffe, park at park near Allpass Parade. Wade out at low tide and flick into the channel.

scotty
23-08-2005, 12:48 PM
oaky creek bowenville some good freshwater fishing after a good fresh runs through

saphire
23-08-2005, 07:44 PM
I'll start with one spot many might not know about.
Drive down Mill Rd Woongoolba, then Homestead Rd, then Rocky Point Road untill almost at the ned.
Just before the hill - where the mangroves finish - turn right onto a dirt track - follow it till you can't go any further.
You can also follow Rocky Point Rd to the end where there is a little picnic area but the climb (slide) down to the water is a bit rough.
This is Little Rocky Point - fishes best on the top of the tide for bream and school jew.

Dave ><>

Hi Nuggest,
I know that spot. I have let my dogs run around there, but dont let the council know. Dont worry I always clean up after my dogs and carry a plastic bag with me.
I will try that spot for fishing. I just never thought of climbing down the side to the water before. :)
saphire.

Just_chips
23-08-2005, 08:53 PM
I fished of the Redcliffe end of the Hornibrook bridge on the weekend with my kids where Hayes inlet empties into the bay. First time I'd ever fished at that end of the bridge. I watched in awe as the tide receeded to reveal the many rocky outcrops of the Wells and thought to myself .... what a great location to wade and flick in between rocky patches for flatties. As the tide dropped futher, I watched anglers wade out and do what I had been daydreaming about and land a number of respectable lizards in a short period of time.

So next time I get the opportunity with a low tide due, I dare say I will be flicking some SPs around the Recliffe side of the hornibrook bridge.

JT
24-08-2005, 06:25 AM
In Currumbin Creek, fish the making tide from the pedestrian footbridge and cast to the pilons of the Pacific Highway road bridge. Catches include bream, jacks, trevally and flatties.

Cheers

John

theoldlegend
24-08-2005, 06:48 AM
My mate & I go to Iluka in northern NSW when he can get time off. We do the wall, Fraser's Reef, the Bluff and the beach. He is looking at a 4WD, so we should be a lot more mobile down there when he gets it.

As for bait, well it's generally pillies and yabbies.

Some trips are good, some are quiet. One day, we'll both get a big jewie. The resident jew expert down there has given me his phone number to ring when we're down there next.

TOL

rando
24-08-2005, 10:56 AM
Cylinder headland 12-24hrs after a southeasterly change , tailor, 40-80gm chrome slices

Jitlands
24-08-2005, 01:51 PM
Southern breakwall at Cudgen creek, Kingscliff.
Spin with slugs for tailor predawn and early.
Float unweighted baits for turd schnapper once the suns on the water
Best top of tide

Fishin_Dan
24-08-2005, 02:09 PM
Sand bank at mouth of Kedron Brook Floodway on an incoming tide. Standing right next to the channel... SP's for flatties. Also get bream cruising past as the tide comes in. Potential for a lot more there too, but havent caught much else there yet (Need to put in more effort!) :D

gogecko
24-08-2005, 03:05 PM
Bond Uni floodgates at Burleigh would have to be the best land based on GC. They open the gates for an hour twice a day. Brings all the predators around like tradesman around a smoko van.

Sorry, Im not sure of the times it opens. Might be 6 hrs before high tide and 2 hrs after high, or something like that. The locals will tell you.

Jig for livies befoe the gates open, then hang on...... GTs, jacks, tarpon, etc.

pjfrad
24-08-2005, 04:47 PM
I like Shell Cove in Sydney Harbour. Wading the sand flats can produce Bream, Flathead and Whiting. Off the dropoff you can get Tailor in the evenings.

I am starting a website called Shore Fishing Australia (www.shorefishingaustralia.com.au) which is dedicated to land based fishing. If anyone would like to suggest any land based locations (I will not steal them off this site or others so email me them if you would like me to post them) I will be more than happy to post them, or photos, articles, or anything else to do with land based fishing.

Moderators : Please feel free to delete this message if you find it is in breach of this sites rules.

PJFrad

SWFISHER
24-08-2005, 06:46 PM
oaky creek bowenville some good freshwater fishing after a good fresh runs through

hey scotty when did u see a fresh last go thru this area. mind u wetalla sewarge empties into Oakey Creek

robersl
24-08-2005, 09:34 PM
THIS TIME OF YEAR THEY GET GOOD SUMMER WHITING OFF THE BEACH AT MARGATE BEST BETWEEN HUMPYBONG SCHOOL AND THE OLD CLOCK TOWER TOILETS STRAIGHT OUT IN FRONT OF THE WALTZING MATILDA HOTEL THERE IS GOOD SANDY PATCHES WITH GUTTERS EARLY MORNING IS BEST OR LATE AFTERNOON

SHANE CABOOLTURE

ON-THE-CHEW
24-08-2005, 11:41 PM
Stradbroke Island: Southern side of the gorge, behind whale rock facing south. Fishes well most tides best with any kind of easterly. Plastics, slugs, pilly chunks. Catch almost anything tuna, big bream, bonito, flathead, kingfish etc.
Amity jetty and the rock wall all along amity. Tailor, mack tuna, tuna, bream, mackeral etc. Fishes best on running tides. Metal slugs, plastics, pilly chunks, flesh baits, prawns.

Harvey Bay: Urangun jetty as above.
Kingfisher Island jetty. Fishes best incoming tide for Golden Trevally, tuna, mackeral.
Out going tide for bream and flathead. Best baits metal slugs, plastics, live herring and flesh bait.

Gold Coast: Tweed mouth rock wall. Outgoing tide for bream, trevally, queenies and luderick. Dusk and dawn tailor on pillies or metal slugs.
Boyds Bay Bridge fishes well most tides but current can get quiet strong on big run, bream, luderick and flathead.
Gold Coast Seaway can catch anything on anything depends on your luck and how long you are willing to sit there. Fishes best either side of the tide when it is still running.

Hope this is of some help.

Most people don't like giving their secret fishing spots away but when you are restricted to land you look everywhere. <>< <>< <><

roz
24-08-2005, 11:41 PM
Agnes Jack will claim this as one of his spots as well, but since I've been spooled there myself I feel justified.

It's out the front of 1770 via the cat walk from the lookout, word of caution here, there is a gutter that has to be crossed, so do check tide times, I would suggest two hours before and after the low tide...well thats for me anyway.

As for the fishing, it's the ideal LBG location, I've seen good catches of mackeral, spanish & spotted come off there.

I was in my boat, towing lures past there one morning, and the guys fishing off the rock were getting all the mackeral.

Small marlin have been hooked up from that rock, I don't know about landed, but most likely.

I've live baited off there many times, and a local bronze whaler didn't even know it was hooked.

The locals have also spun up some nice tuna.

Big schools of bait fish are often seen right in next to the rocks (I do have pics) so anything is possible.

roz

Nugget
26-08-2005, 06:33 AM
Thanks for all your input.
We'll be having a land based weekend between 5 - 7am on 4BC - everybody's favourite spots and a few tips on how and when to fish them.

Also have some footage of pearl perch ground - wireweed - in 55 metres of water on Ten tonight.
Not sure what they will show out of the footage I have given them.
Weird looking weed.

Dave ><>

gunna
26-08-2005, 09:05 AM
Alright - I will give up one of my honey holes. Angel Beach Drive in Ballina runs parallel to a man made lake. Find the spot where the salt water feeds into the lake. Fish that on dusk and into dark with poppers - and hang on.