PDA

View Full Version : YACHT ACCIDENT NQ

Bosunsmate
23-08-2005, 10:24 PM
Two die as yacht capsizes

23aug05
TWO men have died and five people were pulled from the water after their yacht capsized and sank off north Queensland today.

The bodies of two men were recovered following the accident near the northern end of Hinchinbrook Island, off Cardwell, police said.

The second man was believed to have drowned while swimming to a nearby island to raise the alarm.

The 7m yacht was under full sail when a gust of wind capsized it, police said.

The yacht is yet to be located.

The five people rescued by passing boats were taken to Tully Hospital for observation.

A Queensland Health spokeswoman said a woman in her 60s was in Tully Hospital in a stable condition.

Four other people, two men aged 69 and 56 and two women aged 48 and 61, were treated for shock and discharged, the spokeswoman said.

This has been pasted from the Townsville Bulletin http://townsvillebulletin.news.com.au/ breaking news site.

Bosunsmate
23-08-2005, 10:27 PM
And this from the ABC online http://www.abc.net.au/news/justin/default.htm

Tuesday, 23 August 2005. 18:44 (AEST)
Two killed as boat sinks off Queensland
Two people have died after a boating accident off Hinchinbrook Island in far north Queensland.

Police say seven people were on board a 22-foot sailing boat that capsized this afternoon.

Five people were rescued by a passing vessel.

It is believed two of the survivors will be taken to Tully Hospital, while police are interviewing the others at the Cardwell Marina.

fish2eat
24-08-2005, 09:54 AM
That seems like a lot of people aboard a 22ft trailer sailer in open waters. The poor little trailer sailer wouldn't have enough ballast to resist a freak gust or to right itself with all those people clinging to it.

Unfortunately people pay for the bitter experience with their lives then regulators follow up with further restrictions. Yachts this size can get into trouble in Moreton Bay let alone in open water......its a chilling lesson.

nonibbles
24-08-2005, 09:57 AM
Not good news at all. The grim reaper has certainly overstayed his welcome in North Queensland at the moment. Croc attacks, car smashes, a recent personal tragedy for me and now this. Something good has got to happen soon. :'( ;D Go Cowboys! ;D

rando
24-08-2005, 10:52 AM
It has the look of lack of experience. Seven adults on a 22fter, you would be like sardines in a tin.
Having said that if four or five of them were up on the weather rail you'de need a pretty solid gust to capsize it.
Again if its gusting you should have the mainsheet in hand to control the pressure in the mainsail.
Very sad just the same, an error of judgement, a moments hesitation,a gear faiure , who can say,,Very sad .

Bosunsmate
28-08-2005, 09:57 PM
The local news claimed the authorities described a gust of wind known as a "wind bullet" was responsible for the accident. The skipper was well regarded around the Tully region as a skilled and able bodied skipper.

Just plain unlucky IMO.

Jeremy
29-08-2005, 08:10 AM
The local news claimed the authorities described a gust of wind known as a "wind bullet" was responsible for the accident. The skipper was well regarded around the Tully region as a skilled and able bodied skipper.

Just plain unlucky IMO.

I didn't use to believe in 'freak waves', but I have learn't otherwise recently. Nevertheless, I think the term is way overused in the media to describe tragic accidents. I would think the same would apply to freak wind gusts. Wind bullets are well known to sailors and are common anywhere the wind is coming from a hilly land mass.

Jeremy