PDA

View Full Version : Fishing and animal cruelty

Squirrel
25-08-2005, 09:17 PM
Hi,

Not sure if this will interest anyone, but Tasmania is currently reviewing its animal cruety laws and proposing to include fishing (currently exempt from the act).

http://www.dpiwe.tas.gov.au/inter.nsf/WebPages/EGIL-535VVF?open

Submissions close on September 25, might be worth pointing out that they are not basing this proposal in science or evidence, but on "attitudes".

Squirrel
25-08-2005, 09:20 PM
Sorry, should have pointed out that the relevant section starts on p.11 - "Exemptions".

kc
26-08-2005, 01:38 PM
Another brick in the wall! Absolutely horrendous. The day they start to fine people $10,000 for cruelty to a fish is the day kids absolutely give up fishing, rec fishing will be demonised in the press and it's all over red rover.

While almost everyone on this forum supports humain treatment of fish, wether they are caught for the table of C & R, how long before the very issue of catching a fish on a hook or live baiting itself falls under the banner of cruelty.

This might be a Tassy issue at present (the birthplace and stronghold of green politics in Australia) but it is "coming to a store near you".

If this gets up...sell the boats boys...real quick. I can't believe how fast this whole process has moved. In just 3 years we have seen enormous depopularisation of recreational fishing and in 3 more years, at this pace...who knows.

KC

bidkev
26-08-2005, 01:54 PM
<snip>
In just 3 years we have seen enormous depopularisation of recreational fishing and in 3 more years, at this pace...who knows.

KC

Well one thing I do know..........it won't be at the pace that they would like. They're going to have to think twice now that the recreational fishing community has a voice via The Fishing Party.

IMHO the fact that the gov't has an overwhelming majority is of benefit to us as it means that they don't have to pander to the minortiy groups such as the greens.........or is that a simplification? I still haven't yet fully worked out how the preferences system will affect the issues relevant to the rec fishing community but I do know that we need to be more politically active if we are to have any future in the recreational fishing (or even boating) arena.

I was dissapointed to hear (via the newsletter) that there was a Fishing Party meeting here on the Northside of Brizzy and I missed it. I never saw it advertised and therefore perhaps personal emails to members may be more productive in drumming up active members in the future?

Keep up the good work KC

cheers

kev

Dug
26-08-2005, 01:59 PM
Did anyone see the report on families who fish surviving and having more "Stable" families and kids?

It was released about a month ago but I was too busy to follow up and chase up the details.

There was a family conference I think in Brisbane and this was from a speaker possibly from the UK.

It just backed up what we already know with some research.

Zeeke
26-08-2005, 02:04 PM
Would like to see Tasmania's tourism once they place a ban on fishing... there would be ALOT of people who would suffer.. not just the fisherman.. but the hotels, motels, B&B's, tackleshops, guides, restaurants.. just to mention a few.. which are all supported by fisherman from all over the world who go there to fish the pristine clear waters full of trout and salmon..

Tim

blaze
26-08-2005, 02:12 PM
Bloody ell
In my own backyard
I am mixed up in some way or have access to people on some of the peak fishing bodies that send the recommendations to the goverment and I have heard nothing about it untill now.
So I will now read the document and get on the phone
cheers
blaze

theoldlegend
26-08-2005, 02:25 PM
Good stuff Blaze.

Could you get back on this forum when you find something out? This is getting pretty scary, not to mention frustrating. What are they going to start on next?

Do the people who advocate this stuff not eat fish? What about cruelty to beef cattle when they are sent to the abbatoirs? Do these people not eat beef, lamb, pork etc?

The whole thing is getting out of hand. These people are riding on the crest of a wave, crying out to others and unfortunately, seem to be getting heard.

TOL

blaze
26-08-2005, 02:35 PM
Hi TOL
have sent some emails chasing info.
My reaction is one of horror BUT, if you was to see someone (lets say 25 years old) catch a skate and cutting 6" off its flaps and letting it go, to me thats cruel and possible should be an offence when in tassie it is not (not sure about other states).
The part that concerns me more than putting something to law is the process in which it is done.
Will post up some info when I find some thing out to post
cheers
blaze

nonibbles
26-08-2005, 04:40 PM
5.5 Exemptions [S. 4]
Section 4 outlines certain practices which are exempt from the cruelty provisions of
the Act, and the circumstances under which this exemption applies. Exemption
provisions are often criticised by animal welfare groups, in that they are seen to
somewhat negate the effect of the legislation.
Section 4 exempts hunting, recreational fishing, angling, and commercial fishing,
provided they are done in a usual and reasonable manner and without causing excess
suffering, or unless they are prohibited by this or any other Act.
Without official guidelines, determining whether something is reasonable can prove
difficult. Hunting and fishing practices which once were considered reasonable may
no longer be considered so.
The Animal Welfare Standard for the Hunting of Wallabies in Tasmania, approved by
the Minister under section 44 of the Act, provides guidelines as to what is considered
to be reasonable and appropriate wallaby hunting practice. It allow the shooting of
wallabies to be carried out in a way that ensures that animals are dispatched as
efficiently as possible with the minimum of suffering.
The Working Group considers that similar standards should be developed for the
recreational and commercial fisheries and for angling, to provide guidance as to what
is and is not reasonable and acceptable animal welfare practice.[hr]
From what I read here is that they just want to write guidelines/laws to ensure that hunting and fishing practices are conducted in a humane manner. #

This could be a very good thing if done by the sensibly & by the right people but we are talking about the ultra greens in Tasmania. #Once their efforts come to fruition, some may use them as a precedent to establish more archane laws on the mainland. #That is, Tasmania is the staging ground for the introduction of ultragreen policy for the rest of Australia if given a chance.
I am unsure as to how they would view catch and release fishing. #Can they scientifically prove that is/is not cruel? #What are the boundaries of "cruel"? #Is their such a thing as acceptable level of harm/cruelty?

This is why it is so important for the rest of us to share our views on these sort of things. #
I remember a thread not so long ago asking whether C&R should be stopped and I wonder if our postings on the matter could #already have been of influence in this review. #(By the way I am quite glad that we as fisherfolk chose to look at this issue. #Whether I personally agree or disagree with the point of the thread is not as important)

We in North Queensland felt that proper managemnet of the GBR could possibly be a good thing if done properly, we were sceptical yet went along with the RAP process and got screwed.

Who are the members of the working group and are their affiliations, if any, disclosed to minimise any conflict of interest issues by ensuring a balance of opinion is represented in the said workgroup?

The Fishing Party needs to find a way to apply maximum pressure to ensure that a balanced, sensible and scientific approach is applied to this review otherwise, the greens will have their way virtually unopposed. #
It is time to show that unseating the greens at the last election means something more than a name change in the senate. #And to quote "I Fish and I Vote" is more than just a bumper sticker.

Cloud_9
26-08-2005, 09:23 PM
we ( the Gold Coast SportFishing Club )
had a meeting wednesday just gone with a guy who's trying to get fishing comps under a STAR rating system 1 star ---crap 5 star --- good.
the stars are in the enviromentaly friendly stakes.
theres a questionair , lots of questions some leading, others sound silly. but .
the flathead classic but his standards is up the top on his scale. but he cant give 5 stars cos there needs to be a goal to try to get.

cruelty to a fish with a 3 second memory !!
i bumped my head :-X
i bumped my head :-X
i bumped my head ::)
what ever happened to COMMON SENCE.

i think this next generation is up shite creek without a paddle.
just as an EG: my apprentice carpenter's teacher said to him the common sence is the wrong term to use because it means something different to each person,IE whats commonsence to 1 person is not to another.
and thats the problem. people today just dont have a clue.
and their teaching the next generation to be even dumber if thats possible.
no fear of retrobuion( think thats the right spelling )
if teachers dont know the meaning of anything what are they teaching?
the word common means belongs to everbody. commonsence is whats sain and sensible to the majority.
how the heck can these minorities get such a big say in our passtime.
id like to know if any of them ultra greens even have a brain bigger than a Gold fish to come up with crap like this. and the pollies that listen are even dumber!
im at a point where im asking myself WTF is going on in the world today????
their all gone Nucking Futts.

Cloud 9

blaze
27-08-2005, 12:00 PM
Just a bit of an update
reading the local paper and found the first small actical I have seen and they make mention of live baiting
cheers
blaze

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
27-08-2005, 09:10 PM
Who is the guy Cloud 9 and who does he represent? Are these people also going to assess people/pros who catch smaller fish with netting which catch fish by the millions etc. Fishing comps are usually well disciplined, enjoyable activities which result in many fish being released. Do the people who have a problem with this also have a problem with netting, pro fishing etc. It would seem reasonable to assume that all fish have a similar amount of intelligence, whether it be large or small. Surely, what goes for one should go for all???
Your post should raise heads up Cloud 9 and I thank you for that.

Dave

fisho
28-08-2005, 09:30 AM
They have too much time on their hands. :-*

Cloud_9
28-08-2005, 03:47 PM
the guy doing the star rateing for the comps is on our side .
his name is ben something.
but what there trying to do is protect our comps from small minded wankers.
their getting date that supports our passtime to head off at the pass so to speak the rantings of the silly people who don't eat meat.

i did hear resently that they are trying to produce steak in a test tube so no cows die for us to enjoy steak! :-X
F##K that
drings back thoughts of a movie from way back called (Soilent Green)
when you died they turned you into food for the people.
Cloud 9

DICER
29-08-2005, 10:12 AM
I like the ideas cloud9.

Perhaps it's best to have a mantra for when they come your way..like "free range fish is best caught fresh"

bassintom
29-08-2005, 10:39 AM
i just hope PETA(people for the ethical treatment of animals)never set their sites on your country.these people are the most miserable waste of human life.they have absolutely no life and want to make everybody else miserable.they have been known to visit the parking lot at bass tourneys and damage vehicles and trailers.they would rather see a child die before you hurt an animal.they are doing every thing they can to get fishing banned in the U.S.
the government here (when slick willy was prez)even took monies from dedicated funds that were to go directly to fishing related programs.and this money was from taxes on fishing equip and related items.in other words the government gave these lunatics fishermen's money to help them destroy fishing.what the heck is that all about?
here at home sportmen have their own PETA organization...PETA stands for people eating tasty animals.
i wish you guys much sucess in your struggle..if there's anything i can do to help..just holler.