PDA

View Full Version : Fishing the Noosa River

GES
26-08-2005, 03:13 PM
I lived in Tewantin in the early 1970s and fished the Noosa river quite a bit.
The fishing was fantastic then. I haven't been there since because I moved too far away, till now.
I know that the Noosa beach has been extended, a canal estate developed at what was Hays Island and that the bar entrance was moved north. A friend told me that this has caused the Noosa River bar entrance to become very shallow and, as a consequence, fish movement into the system has been affected.
I intend going back to visit the old haunts to drop a line, sometime in the next month or so.
Can anyone tell me how the fishing is in the Noosa River these days ?
I'll bet the boat traffic has increased as well since I lived there.

GES

gunna
26-08-2005, 03:33 PM
Some recent info for you here GES

http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/yabb2/YaBB.cgi?num=1124747261

fish2eat
27-08-2005, 10:49 AM
hey GES, you might want to buy a map , otherwise you might not actually recognise that you once lived there.....

jackash
27-08-2005, 12:08 PM
Fincho and I have been doing a fair bit of fishing there over the last year. Try around the Sheraton Bridge and Woods Bay with quickly or slowly worked soft plastics. Plenty of tailor and trevs around and to very decent size, as well as the odd jew and jack.
Cheers,
Jackash

GES
27-08-2005, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the replies and the info fellas.

GES

Wear_the_fox_hat
29-08-2005, 08:18 PM
GES,
Best of luck mate.
Noosa doesn't fish like it used to & at holiday times the boating traffic is bordering on ridiculous.
If going outside, check with the Coast Guard for directions, as getting to the bar at low tide can be a shallow affair, let alone trying to cross it.

Have fun.