PDA

View Full Version : Madang PNG?

Dug
29-08-2005, 06:36 PM
Does anyone have any experience of fishing in Madang in PNG?

I am heading up to Goroka to do some photography and plan to spend a few days in Madang on the north coast before we come back.

I am not going to take any gear but would love to get out for a mornings fish or something.

cheers doug

szopen
29-08-2005, 06:51 PM
Even when going to a desert you should take some gear.
You never know what you might find.

dugong
29-08-2005, 07:20 PM
hi doug
have you been to PNG before?? if not then pm me as i used to work in PNG.
I have not been to madang but have been told by guys who have been there thats its a really nice, they went diving.
you could check with your hotel there as to what activities are available.
they call PNG the land of the unexpected :o :o :o there not bl##dy wrong.
cheers

Dug
29-08-2005, 10:43 PM
MMM I was up in the hill country on the early 70's, pretty strange stuff.

It is still a wild place I'm really looking forward to it.

I am taking so much photo gear but I thought I might hide a couple of big lures and a length of 100lb line in the bag somewhere and see if I can find a local with a boat and go for a troll.

If I come back I will post some photos. If not when you see the headlines you can say "I know him he was an Ausfish member" ;)

cooky
30-08-2005, 08:40 AM
apparently the fishing and diving is excellent. Madang is an old resort town of sorts. I haven't been to Madang, but when in Moresby I was invited to go to Madang by a few ex pats that live there. Was shown photos and absolutely beautiful place. I haven't spoken to them for a few years, but they had boats and loved the fishing. As far as I know Madang still attracts a tourist trade, so you shouldn't have any trouble finding a charter to go out on with gear provided. Or pay a local - money always does the talking

gunna
30-08-2005, 10:18 AM
Sounds like a tough place to fish

"MADANG PROVINCE

REEL FISH CHARTERS Contact: Brett Middleton MV “Talio” PO Box 521 Madang 511, Madang Province Papua New Guinea Telephone: (675) 853 7496 Fax: (675) 853 7468

MV “Talio” maintains state of the art equipment, from 8kg to 60kg tackle and electronics including radar, GPS and top of the range sounder. It has maximum speed of 29 knots. With so much fishing within range, on any given day anglers can enjoy a variety of world class sport.

“Talio” owner/skipper Brett Middleton, who cut his teeth in legendary Cairns big game fishing, further enhances your strike chances with his expert local knowledge.

Coastal currents can run at 5 knots, carrying sailfish, yellowfin, mahi mahi, mackerel and many more species to within 100 yards of the shore. Sailfish in particular hunt in packs here, in number and sizes seldom before seen in the South Pacific.

On remote reefs you can fish for dogtooth tuna, spanish makerel, giant trevally, coral trout, and more sailfish. There’s a wealth of options all year round. The area is a paradise for the fly, light, medium and heavy tackle angler.

For the ultimate Papua New Guinea fishing experience, combine a “Talio” Madang adventure with a trip to Arrjim Island Bass Fishing Camp on the remote south coast of West New Britain. Internationally renowned for its black and spottail bass. These mighty opponents are the strongest freshwater species in the world and they offer the supreme challenge for the plug caster."

And from the Madang Resort Hotel's webpage

"You can arrange a more modest fishing excursion by canoe or small boat from the hotel's reception."

Sandman
30-08-2005, 03:14 PM
Doug,
All i can say is hold on!!! You lucky man, Madang is one of my favourite fishing and Diving hot spots in PNG.

They offer a range of fishing oppurtunities there, however if you give me a little time i could possibly get you in contact with a few oppurtunities.

Places to stay are Madang resort, they will arrange everything for you with notice, as well my mate use to own it but i am unsure if he is still there.

The biggest Black Coral trout i have ever seen was 10mtrs from the resort :o

Gunna is spot on wit all the other pelagics and i am wittness to that .

If i hear back from the old man who lives in Rabaul he will pass on all the contacts you will need.
Best lure to take is Rapala 14 blue , take a few of them as you will need them, for the sailfish you can use almost anything including bannana skins but they like the blue skirts with red flare on the head. Mahi Mahi will take pink squid on the tide line without fail .

Just reel in as fast as you can as there are some toothy critters around that dont leave you with a big catch.

Sandman

Jimmyd
30-08-2005, 05:46 PM
G'day Dug,

I was last there in 1997 and went fishing with one of the nationals (local tribesman) that I approached at the local jetty. It cost me 20 kina and we went out in the bay in his dugout outrigger canoe with a 15hp on the back. It was a fantastic 5 hours of fishing, swimming and the best part was the stories he told me about when he was a boy and when the Japanees took over the village during WW2.

Madang is truley a beautiful place with truley beautiful people, a word of warning however is that PNG is no different to anywhere else in the world, Australia included, there are always desperate people looking for an easy target to conduct criminal acts upon. Having said that I always felt safe in Madang, not as safe in Goroka, less safe in Mt Hagan and completely unsafe bordering on scared in Pt Morsbey.

I envy you, PNG is such a beautiful country with mostly beautiful people. Please post some of your photos on your return.

Jimmyd

saphire
30-08-2005, 06:13 PM
Dug,
Are you a photographer?
Thats real cool.

Sandman
30-08-2005, 06:35 PM
Well said jimmy, its unfourtunate that PM is listed as one of the top deadliest cities in the world, go straight to the airporter hotel if you stop over for connecting flight ( and you will be).

Mt Hagen is ok , it has its times but enjoy and yes share your photoes i am yet to try posting mine.
Sandman

Dug
30-08-2005, 07:17 PM
We are not leaving the airport in Port Moresby :(

We are always aware of what is going on round us and have a contact in Garoka to show us the ropes.

Saphire You are not wrong, it is such a great way to live :)

cooky
31-08-2005, 12:03 AM
moresby is scary when you first get there, but use some common sense and you'll be right (should be). I hired a car there a few years ago. F*king stupid, but got around a lot without any hassle. The funniest thing was they gave us a brand friggin new shiny red corolla - even the tyres had tyre black. If you've been to moresby you'll know that this woudl stand out like the proverbial ;)as there are few cards with any straight panels. 2 white blokes driving around (no tinting on windows). That was fun. Ended up taking a wrong turn and ended up in rascal territory - hightailed it out of there and have been told many times since we were lucky to get out.
I went to cambodia last year for work and we hired some trail bikes to go for a cruise through the country. Cambodia feels safe compared to moresby.
Would love to go to madang though and some of the other areas.

Sandman
31-08-2005, 01:33 PM
Doug,
The old mans site has some great photoes but this ones in Hagen http://gallery.orchidspng.com/displayimage.php?album=49&pos=24