PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of the Brissy under the water

bugman
24-08-2005, 05:13 PM
GDay all,

Just a post I thought you might be interested in to see how the HMAS Brisbane settled on the bottom.

I was lucky enough to get a permit to dive last weekend. I had Mick (Sandman) and my borther Nathan in tow.

Overall - after two weeks algae and coral life can be just seen to get a hold, a few fish about but not many. For those contemplating it - drift fishing would be impossible because of the guide lines between the moorings and the ship. Also remember the $600 fine.

Something of interest - certianly set to get Touchy's heart racing was the school of whiting surrounding the ship. I estimated at 1 million give or take a few hundred thousand. You can see a small proportion of them in the pic below.

Brett

bugman
24-08-2005, 05:15 PM
A picture of the bow - being artistic

bugman
24-08-2005, 05:15 PM
Mick and I at the bottom at the bow - 27m for the record

bugman
24-08-2005, 05:17 PM
Mick doing his best Lenardo DiCaprio impersonation from Titantic

bugman
24-08-2005, 05:18 PM
The obligitory "riding the gun" shot

bugman
24-08-2005, 05:19 PM
One of the more interesting fish seen of the journey.

bugman
24-08-2005, 05:20 PM
One more obligiatory pic - Nathan on the dunny

bugman
24-08-2005, 05:21 PM
And Nathan attempting to open the safe

chemmy
24-08-2005, 05:34 PM
great picies mate
How much did the permit cost and there is a few swimming fillets in that first pic ay where they any big?

Scott15
24-08-2005, 05:40 PM
some good pics there brett. lol nice dunny pic. im guessing there just diver whiting? bloody lot of them to

westie
24-08-2005, 05:55 PM
Just DIVER whiting ......Good one

bidkev
24-08-2005, 05:56 PM
Brilliant pics Brett. Especially liked the arty farty bow shot. Give those lion fish a wide berth mate. Got walloped back in the UK when I was in the tropical fish business. A broken spine was left in a net and I copped for it. Not as bad as was expected though and I've had worse.

cheers

kev

rando
24-08-2005, 06:02 PM
Great shots Bugman, will the vis/water clarity vary much? Im surprised the light is so strong in nearly 100 ft of water
With all those whiting around I wonder how long before the predators start to show up.
Thanks for the pics
rando

saphire
24-08-2005, 07:38 PM
Bugman,
They are terrific photos.
Thank you for posting them. Looks like you all had such a great time.
saphire.

krtazy
24-08-2005, 08:11 PM
awesome photos bugman always enjoy reading your posts [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Poseidon
24-08-2005, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the pics Bugman, didn't take long for the algae to start. Looks like a divers paradise, I can see how people get hooked on diving.

Angla
24-08-2005, 10:43 PM
Great photo's there Bugman. It really fascinating as to how fast fish species take up residence/refuge so quick. Were the photos done near midday to get the best lighting?

Angla

roz
24-08-2005, 11:10 PM
good stuff Brett,

Another reason for me to do that dive course.

roz

TonyM
25-08-2005, 02:03 AM
Brilliant pics Brett!

Been talking about learning to scuba for years - I better move it up the list a bit I think! ;)

DICER
25-08-2005, 03:35 AM
Thanks for the pics - just like I was hanging onto the anchor chain or dunny one for that matter. Wish I were there - very jealous!!!

el_carpo
25-08-2005, 06:19 AM
Sure looks like you guys had a lot fun out there. Great pictures!

Black_Rat
25-08-2005, 08:28 AM
Cool piccies looks like it's sitting well on the sea bed

bugman
25-08-2005, 08:29 AM
Thanks guys,

We booked our spot for 1:00pm to 3:00pm so light was pretty good. Prviate vessels get a two hour booking on one of the five mooring lines and it costs $15 per diver and $20 for the permit. You can have a maximum of 4 divers on a private vessel but as many non divers as you want.

I was surprised by the amount of life we saw - some guys the week before reported practically nothing. It's also amazing what they've left inside her. I didn't put up the pic of Mick in the shower.

It's quite an easy dive - even with the penetration. There's holes everywhere to get in and out.

The whiting school was the biggest I have ever seen. I'm pretty sure they were winteries or divers. Good size though between 25 and 30cm. My first thought as we saw them on the descend was "where's Touchy".

Brett

finding_time
25-08-2005, 10:09 AM
Nice shots mate #,sorry i missed it

Ian

I wonder how many dunny shot are going to be taken during the life of the wreck ?? i don't think there is a diverable HEAD anywhere in the world that hasn't had those photos taken . They even did them on the Britanic dives. ;D Love the dunny shots
Ian

liltuffy
25-08-2005, 10:26 AM
Hey Bugman, what's your thoughts on paying to dive on the Brisbane.

As a long time diver myself it sticks in my craw to have to pay yet another fee to enjoy something I believe should be free access to all.

I understand they are trying to limit the number of people on it at any one time but why pay??

I'd be intersted in your thoughts

-spiro-
25-08-2005, 10:39 AM
Now thats a top post
Good effort Brett, top pictures and info{as we expect from youl}
You will have to dive the banks for me and let me know what i am about to catch ;D ;D ;D
Have you dived around Flinders at Morton?

StevenM
25-08-2005, 12:29 PM
Nice stuff bugman, surprising the alge and coral taking hold so early and the fish life so quickly.

Cheers Steven

Sandman
25-08-2005, 04:29 PM
Brett,
The photoes turned out well , i felt the visability was a little better than what the photo's show.

bugman
26-08-2005, 08:07 AM
Mick,

It's always the way - the camera will find all the "cornflakes" when used with a flash and gives of the the blue/green hue in most wide shots.

Liltuffy. I can understand the pay to dive formula on the Brisbane. It was specifically sunk to be a dive wreck and actually cost millions of dollars to prepare. The permit regulations are in place to ensure no more than 50 divers can be on her at one time. Lets be honest it would be a shit dive with that many let alone any more. If she had sunk of her own being then fine - it's a free for all - but I think the cost of preparation has to be recouped somehow and ongoing management must also be taken into account. That's my opinion anyway.

Chris - done a bit of dine around the top of Moreton - Flinders is the old standby as you can always get there and get a safe dive in even in shitty weather. Why do you want to come for a swim?

As for diving at the Banks - I'll leave that to someone else - I'm not into that deep stuff but there is someone here finding_time who knows all about that. It's an experts game which either you do properly or don't do at all.

Brett

Vic1
02-09-2005, 11:58 AM
Nice photos but I can hear the Jaws music everytime............ ;D

jimmybob
02-09-2005, 04:13 PM
awseome pics!