PDA

View Full Version : rough seas

Kendall
30-08-2005, 07:28 AM
Thought a few of you might be interested in this.
Currently I am offshore working.
65' 35" N and 005' 17" E it is half way up the west side of Norway.
Presently we are experiencing some unpleasant weather.
70knot winds at the moment.
Earlier this afternoon at it was 64-knot winds wave height of 12 meters and deck heave of 15 meters.
Needless to say we are being bashed about a bit. We have lost some in-sea equipment and tangled the rest. According to the weather reports it should subside by morning some 7 hours off.
I don’t think I will get a lot of sleep tonight.
I’m sure things are a lot better back there in Brisbane
The photos are of water crashing the back deck

Kendall
30-08-2005, 07:34 AM
my appologies for this being a bit fuzzy I think I was moving at the time

StevenM
30-08-2005, 07:50 AM
appologies acepted Kendel.

Doesnt look like fun at all, what are you doing or what work are you in?

How far off shore?

Cheers Steven

MOZ
30-08-2005, 09:08 AM
Kendall

Looks like scary stuff to me! Hope they are paying you well!

MOZ

Kendall
30-08-2005, 10:54 AM
My line of work is marine seismic, we are about 110 Nautical miles off the coast of Kristiansund, Norway.
At the time of this post is 3:am local time, which is 11am Bris time.
The storm hasn’t calmed any after 12 hours.
I feel sorry for the guys in the north part of Gulf of Mexico where the winds were 170 miles an hour. Now that would have been scarey.

Kendall
30-08-2005, 10:57 AM
It isnt so much the pay that keeps in this job Moz. It is the 6 weeks off at a time, That allows me to go fishing there at home.

philip_thomson
30-08-2005, 11:44 AM
WOW do you guys have a copy of the titanic CD? keep playing that as well as the movie should help out abit.
6 weeks off at a time is nice.

rando
30-08-2005, 02:39 PM
Great photo Kendall, very scary, there would probably be a few green faces around, while that is going on I imagine
rando

saphire
30-08-2005, 06:21 PM
Terriffic Photo Kendal,
Marine Seismic.
Does this mean that you measure the earths activity under the ocean?
Keep safe.

Kendall
30-08-2005, 07:28 PM
Hi Saphire.
marine seismic is oil and gas exploration, we map the ocean floor from the bottom to about 7 km into the earth. the oil companies study these maps and determine if there is anything there.
There wasnt any green faces on the shift I do but I felt sorry for the other guys that were trying to sleep Rando.

Angla
30-08-2005, 08:41 PM
Great picture Kendall. Do you have any more of the type of clothing you have to wear or up in the wheel house. Does your job intail inside work or are you one to get wet during the working day? Looks like it would never be boring

Angla

DNO40
30-08-2005, 08:49 PM
Can't be too bad a job if you can surf the net and Ausfish and upload pics via a sat phone connection I presume #:-?

Hoges
30-08-2005, 10:09 PM
::)
Great stuff Kendall!
Could not think of a better way to make my 100th post here on Ausfish than to ask you to post more pics please.
Cheers
Hoges
;)

Burley_Boy
30-08-2005, 11:12 PM
Yeah I dig the photos too so show us more, in that swell I hope you wear a helmet as you 'walk' around. :)

DICER
31-08-2005, 01:58 AM
Kendall - what's the water temperature like up there. I'm sure its refreshing and teeth clenching. Nice report - keep safe.

Kendall
31-08-2005, 02:44 AM
I do have a couple more pics but if some one could tell me how to get them into this post, or do I just create another post.

Kendall
31-08-2005, 05:17 AM
Hi all,
thanks for all the responses, I was happy to see I have been promoted to Bronze member during all this.
All the questions have been great and I have attempted to answer them all. I am more than happy to answer more.

HI Angla
Work gear is just plain bright orange overalls, when it gets really cold it is thermal bright orange coveralls.
The only time we wear special gear is when doing small boat operations when the water temp is bellow 20 degree.
Part of my work area is in the middle of that picture, that’s where we deploy and recover a lot of the in-sea gear. Luckly we had recovered all we could before the storm hit.
Hi CQHORNET
The web is on a 24/7 uplink to satellite so surfing is not a problem. Couldn’t go 6 weeks without checking out Ausfish for a start. There is the occational quiet period to keep in touch.
Hi Burley_Boy
As all work sites these days full PPE ( personal protective equipment) is required, safety glasses, hard hat, steel cap boots, all the kit, when we work in the area that is under water we are required to wear an inflatable vest and be secured by a safety line.
Hi Dicer
The water temp now is around 12 degrees. Not to bad for up here. Norway is coming to the end of Summer now so will be cooling down over the next month or so.

thank you
Kendall

DNO40
31-08-2005, 06:04 AM
Good stuff. still wouldn't mind seeing the other photo's.

Can relate to you situation though having spent 20 odd years at sea.

As rough as it can get you still gotta love it.

Hoges
31-08-2005, 09:11 AM
I do have a couple more pics but if some one could tell me how to get them into this post, or do I just create another post.

;)
just reply to any post and add them the same way as you originally did. There is no need to start another thread.
8-)

basserman
31-08-2005, 11:20 AM
don't use the quick reply bow click in the reply button and in there you should have the area that allows you to attach the files ;)

can't wait to see the pisa dn by anychance you don't need a deckhand do yous :)
looks like a great job you have all be it hard sometimes

Kendall
31-08-2005, 07:11 PM
this is the same work area but the wave was a bit smaller

Kendall
31-08-2005, 07:17 PM
this photo isnt of our vessel, I was just sent this by a friend doing the same job in the Gulf of Mexico

Kendall
31-08-2005, 07:20 PM
Getting slightly closer to the action

Needmorerum
31-08-2005, 07:29 PM
Hey Kendall, good stuff. Must get interesting and mundane at the same time hey.

The 6 weeks off would do me in, I'd end up broke in a couple of weeks.

Good onya,
Corry

Kendall
31-08-2005, 08:05 PM
Hi Corry
your right about being interesting and mundane at the same time, when everything is running well it does get a bit on the boring side. but things like this and the days to come recovering from this makes things a little better.
I would have to agree with you about the 6 weeks off, quite easy to live like a king for the first week. but the fishing when ever I want weekends or mid weeks is the bonus.
So any one looking for a midweek deckie. Im there. even if it takes me a couple of hours to get there.....

redspeckle
03-09-2005, 07:39 AM
Kendall
Great photo's and interesting story on you on job up there in Norway [smiley=book2.gif]
Least I know with you won't get sea sick you be a great deckie to have after experince sea's like that
So let us know when back in the country where do you live when back in Australia
Mitch
Go The Mighty Cowboys in 2005

Kendall
03-09-2005, 07:47 AM
Hi Redspeckle
Thanks for the comments on the post.
Would be keen to take you up on your offer for the deckie spot for a day out.
I live in Brisbane and mainly fish the bay, Vicky Point to Mud.
We are now heading to Kristiandsund Norway to replace all the gear that we lost.
I will be back in Bris in around 3 weeks, will catch up with you then.

Regards Kendall

Flounder
03-09-2005, 08:55 AM
Wow! pretty scary!