PDA

View Full Version : Gold Coast Cruise Terminal

whichway
06-09-2005, 08:42 AM
Hi

I see that there is a push on for a cruise ship terminal on the Gold Coast spit. This means cruise ships coming in through the sea way and turning left. I suppose the broadwater would need some more significant dredging. Cruise ships in the broadwater - the whole thing seems a bit unreal.

I have no idea what the whole proposal would do to the fishing - any opinions

Whichway

(May result in a few minced up surfers, I can't see an ocean liner looking out for them)

gogecko
06-09-2005, 10:10 AM
As a local business person, I was all for it for the last few years. Then I started fishing in the Seaway a lot more, and now I dont really want huge cruise boats in my fav fishing spot at all.

It all depends on who you are and what you do. I guess most people are selfish, just like I am.
I thought the offshore floating terminal had some merit.

Im also concerned about the spit being developed by stealth. They were never going to let it get developed. Then they approved Marina Mirage, and Seaworld Nara. Whats next?

I dont think our opinions will matter much. The govt will do what it will. Sorry for being so fatalist.

Jeremy
06-09-2005, 12:01 PM
I cannot see it being a realistic proposition cost wise. I am not an engineer, but dredging and stabilising sand to a significant depth would be very costly.

I think it would be good for the fishing, except that boats would be prohibited from coming within 30 m of the terminal, but it would be terrible from an environmental point of view.

Jeremy

DaneCross
06-09-2005, 12:35 PM
Personally, I hope it doesn't happen but GCCC seem set on developing the Spit one way or another. I heard something about another plan to develop it into parklands. I'd rather see that than a big ugly cruise ship and cruise ship terminal. I wont be getting my hopes up though, when its all about $$$ I can't see parkland bringing in quite as many dollars as a Cruise terminal... At least the Seaway will be deep :-/

fish2eat
06-09-2005, 02:02 PM
It will happen eventually for the simple reason of bad planning in Brisbane.

Cruise ships are getting larger, they are now so large (high) that a couple that came in earlier this year can't get under the Gateway Bridge. When the Gateway was built this seemed inconcievable, and the planned cruise ship terminal for the old site on the west of the Gateway now appears doomed.

They parked these huge suckers at Fishermans Island and the passengers had to wait for hours in the hot sun to get a bus to town.......welcome to Brisbane. >:(

Hoges
06-09-2005, 02:36 PM
;D
Wish those bloody fishermen would get out of the way!

Burley_Boy
06-09-2005, 09:26 PM
How much depth do they need? I thought they ran pretty shallow.

DaneCross
06-09-2005, 09:40 PM
Did a quick Google on 'Pacific Sky Draft' got a couple of hits that mention 8m, duno how much they want below that 'just in case' :-/ Some of the bigger ships probably need more...

rando
06-09-2005, 10:05 PM
The big bulk carriers going in and out of Port Hedland WA sometimes do so with 1 metre clearance, ( cant vouch for the accuracy of this report , saw it on tv)

Bosunsmate
06-09-2005, 11:47 PM
Same thing going on here in Townsville, they are talking about reclamation on the seaward side of the existing harbour rockwall/breakwater.

Currently all passenger vessels dock at the sugar wharf, and the tourists trudge down steep gangways onto a concrete cargo loading area, (wich is normally hard hat/safety boots/glasses) to charter coaches to take them to and from the city....what a great welcome to a tropical paradise....

I got no problems with a cruise ship terminal, god forbid we need one here if we are to compete with Cairns but, what happens when we eventually get a cat 5 cyclone?

DICER
07-09-2005, 07:00 AM
Cruise ships in the seaway - that's a mean feat.

I'd like to see the tidal surge come through in the cat 5, let alone when just the cruise liner comes through and drags everything through with its own surge.

They would have to remove one of the rock walls to start the process.

imported_admin
07-09-2005, 03:17 PM
Have a look at the Broadwater Master Plan for more info

http://www.broadwatermasterplan.com/

http://www.broadwatermasterplan.com/images/mp_photo1_1.jpg
http://www.broadwatermasterplan.com/images/mp_photo1_2.jpg

fish2eat
07-09-2005, 03:51 PM
So, thats the end of "marine stadium" where about 200 boats shelter every weekend to frolic in the pump out :(