PDA

View Full Version : mates

blaze
06-09-2005, 09:46 PM
pulled a little penn lever drag apart to give it a new set of bearings before 1770 trip, mate offered to get the bearings in the big smoke today. I give him the three bearings on the shaft to make id and measuring easier, so whats he do, spin around my office and the bearing come off the shaft. Just spent 3 hrs spring cleaning the office (not a mess either) trying to find the disapearing bearing. I think never to be seen again.
cheers
blaze
ps
havent been able to get new ones yet either, must ring them tomorrow to see how they got on. It seems it has a combination of metric and imperial bearings

bidkev
06-09-2005, 10:49 PM
Of course you didn't swear did you? :-/ Not bloody half you didn't! >:( Unlucky mate.

kev

szopen
06-09-2005, 10:50 PM
Combination is good.

Blaze was it you that mentioned the plastic bag trick recently?

blaze
06-09-2005, 11:00 PM
It was agnus jack (tony) that spoke of the plastic bag. I was past the bag stage, 3 bearings on a shaft, ended up putting the remaining 2 bearings and shaft in an envolope
Kev
I dont believe I did swear, not that I dont but it just seemed so unbelievable at the time that this bearing could vanish into thin air.
Starting to swear now as they are proving to be hard to get and there was nothing wrong with them, just decided that because they were out I would replace them
maybe a new reel would be the easy way
cheers
blaze

szopen
06-09-2005, 11:11 PM
I know it sounds werid.

A good trick is to get a strong magnet (big one), tie it to the endo of the string and use it to explore the room.

If you lucky you will find your bearings, for sure you will find other stuff.

Worth trying.

I am not making a funny joke, This is a standard procedure in many factories if a small thing is lost, it is not to finde a little thing but to make sure it does not go somewhere wher it is not supposed to go (might be very very expensive).
Electromagnets work a treat.

DICER
07-09-2005, 07:16 AM
geez he's got the balls... nice one!

szopen - sounds you have the standard procedure down pat.... ;D (I especially like the bit - " you'll find other stuff" )

good luck

blaze
07-09-2005, 09:26 AM
Sold a heap of scap metal when I was a kid and they used a crane with a lectromagnatic thing on the end, swung it over the ground and bits of metal jumped out the ground onto it, looked a bit like a cultivated land when they finished. Maybe I need to hire them.
cheers
blaze
ps
its now official
the bearing has gone to the big bearing place in the sky and I have closure and will give it no more thoughts "I'm over it"

Heath
07-09-2005, 10:32 AM
Sounds like you still have the old bearing?

Visit these guys http://www.minibearings.com.au/

Only at Mansfield. Thats where I get all my bearings for my reels from. Just take your old bearing in, they measure it & give you a new one.

westie
07-09-2005, 01:07 PM
DAH............ he lost the old ones have you missed something

Heath
07-09-2005, 02:35 PM
Well, yes I did. Miss read it so it seems.
Thanks for pointing that out.

Relaxed
07-09-2005, 02:40 PM
"its now official
the bearing has gone to the big bearing place in the sky and I have closure and will give it no more thoughts "I'm over it"[/quote]

Blaze sound like you have lost your marbles as well! ;D ;D ;D

Cheers Andy.

DR
07-09-2005, 03:15 PM
[smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif] Blaze, have you got rid of the body yet?? [smiley=rifle.gif] [smiley=devil.gif]

bidkev
07-09-2005, 04:05 PM
Well, yes I did. Miss read it so it seems.
Thanks for pointing that out.

C'mon Heath, wake up bud, it's time for your sleeping tablet ;) :P

Notice how they do that in hospital? >:( Wake you up to give you a sleeping tablet? They must know something we don't ;D

cheers

kev

Big_Kev
07-09-2005, 08:45 PM
How the heck are you gonna make it to 1770?
You loose your bearings in your own office. ;D ;D ;D

blaze
07-09-2005, 09:20 PM
lmao kev
DR got half the floor pulled up in the lounge room, not much room for a body though

szopen
07-09-2005, 10:54 PM
It might have been a small, small, very small body...

A hobbit?

Blaze,

Belive me, it is still there.
You will find it.

Later than sooner but you will.

blaze
09-09-2005, 07:44 AM
FOUND THE BUGGER
it was hiding under a computer cord, now I will have to put a couple of drops of oil in them and try and source them from elsewhere, seems they may be penn only bearings. My normal supplier of bearings has tried to source them from 2 different micro bearing suppliers and has done no good.
cheers
blaze

szopen
09-09-2005, 11:14 AM
Congratulations.

Found any other interesting things?

SCOTTYGC
09-09-2005, 11:58 AM
thank god you found them mate
i was getting a little worried ;D ;D ;D

now you can use heaths advice [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

see ya at 1770

scotty

blaze
09-09-2005, 01:48 PM
not counting sleeps yet scotty but looking foward to departure date
cheers
blaze
ps
szopen
just a great heap of computer cabling

familyman
09-09-2005, 10:59 PM
Blaze melt a small amount of lightweight grease and drop the bearings in .Allow to cool and presto!repacked reel bearings. ::)
cheers jon