PDA

View Full Version : Hinchinbrook/Townsville Area

nagsy
11-09-2005, 12:26 PM
Hello all i'm new to this site and must say it looks impressive, :) I was just wondering if anyone can help me out with a few tips on fishing townsville and Hinchinbrook. In early december this year i'm staying at lucinda for 2 weeks and would like some advice on fishing the creeks and bays for barra, jacks etc and if conditions allow wouldn't mind chasing a few spanish offshore (if there around?)

Cheers nagsy

fishsmith
11-09-2005, 02:34 PM
welcome aboard nagsy, not sure if your boat or land based but if you intened to fish around Townville itself I can help you out with a few local possies. there are a heap of other folks from around this way on this site that will help you out as well i'm sure..PM me with some more info on dates, boat etc and i'll help you out with a few spots..Probably won't get back to you until next weekend however as i'm heading down to Prosapine dam for a few days fishin...Cheers Smithy...

nagsy
11-09-2005, 04:27 PM
G'Day Smithy, mate i'm taking my 3.85 Explorer up there that has 15hp 4 stroke yammie on the bum. I will be going there late november or the start of december. At the moment i will probably base at lucinda (stay at wanderers) but yeah i'm flexible, where eva the fish are biting i will go.

Apparently I can't PM you because i havent got ten posts yet, anyway best of luck at prosapine.

Richard
11-09-2005, 05:41 PM
Hi Nagsy,

I think the mackerel are more of an easter/winter affair but you may be lucky.

Also, just remember the closed barra season during the time you'll be there, so you won't be able to 'target' barra or keep them. Throughout the Queensland east coast, a closed season applies to barramundi from midday 1 November to midday 1 February.

Anyway, there are plenty of creeks up that way. Look for any fallen in timber along the banks and troll amongst them, not outside them. If your not getting snagged (or bouncing the snags) on a troll your not close enough. Make sure you have a tackleback or something similar otherwise it could end up costing a fortune. Other good spots we have found for jacks up that way have been anywhere where the bank is eroding and fallin in in big chunks. The fish seem to utilise the fallen in chunks as habitat. We usually troll or cast to them on an outgoing tide.

Richard

ps. the queenie in my photo was caught on the eastern side of Hinchinbrook out of little Zoe bay

devocean
11-09-2005, 08:13 PM
Still plenty of macks about though the fingersand barras are working much better at the moment

luigi
11-09-2005, 09:55 PM
G'day Nagsy,

Welcome to the forum.

Make sure you call & see me at my Lucinda workshop when you get here. I will give you the latest 'gen' on the local area & hopefully put you on to a fish or two.

Richard
11-09-2005, 10:27 PM
Lou's right nagsy. He'll definately be able to help you out. Put aside a couple of hours though as I reckon he could also sell ice to eskimoes.

But for good reason, I have bought about 3 packs of his lures so far and I'm about the stage where I need some more. Great lures at the right price and they've saved my day time and time again. Not sure what he has on offer now (been years since I've been to his place) but the larger lure with the spinnerbait on it works a treat. Got mine in the red orange and black colour. Already lost 2 of these to big barra in the mouth of the Herbert there.

Richard

luigi
12-09-2005, 09:13 PM
G'day Richard,

Great to see those lures are still performing. Maybe if I made 'em a bit less snag resistant I would have seen you again before now? ;D

Thanks for the 'rap' mate - look forward to seeing you sometime.