PDA

View Full Version : Hopefully not an Ausfisher

Needmorerum
11-09-2005, 08:02 PM
Our 4WD club was manning the Granite Creek Driver Reviver over the first weekend of the school holidays, and on our way down from Gladstone on Saturday arvo for the night shift, we come across what I would think would be everyone's nightmare.
Hopefully this isn't anyone from here.

Corry

Needmorerum
11-09-2005, 08:04 PM
Another...

Needmorerum
11-09-2005, 08:05 PM
Last One...

devocean
11-09-2005, 08:12 PM
That is rough though not a bad way or excuse to get a new boat

DALEPRICE
11-09-2005, 08:17 PM
was there a car involved or the boat unhitched
itself from the car???

mackmauler
11-09-2005, 08:32 PM
the driver of the trailer fell asleep by the loks and run into a tree, the boat tried to make a run for it but hit a mudbank...

Needmorerum
11-09-2005, 09:00 PM
Yeah, car involved. Commodore, not sure on exact story as you only get it all second hand at the Driver Reviver stop, but the car apparently lost control and left the road. Happened mid morning Saturday. Wrote the car off as well.
There was also a similar accident except with a caravan, and a Falcon being clipped by a Semi.
Then the fatality around Bundaberg that most would know about from the news. And a Falcon that left the road near Benaraby this morning.

Corry

gawby
11-09-2005, 09:48 PM
I saw that when i was going to Rockhampton on saturday night. Didnt like like something you would like to happen to yourself. Was gone by 8am on sunday morning. Probably on the back of a tilt tray. Poor buggars.
I travell this highway nearly every day of the week and let me tell you for the first week of the holidays, god help us as there are more dills on the road than i have seen before.
People that drive around town every day of the week just dont know when it comes to driving on the highways with highway traffic.
This moring coming south at federal south of gympie the dill about 6 cars infront of me slowed to 60ks in a 100k zone to go past a speed camera. DILL DILL DILL>
Safe driving to all on the holiday break.
Graeme

Needmorerum
11-09-2005, 09:56 PM
Yeah Graeme, the Tilt Tray picked it up around 8.00pm and come down to the Rest Stop to turn around and head back up Gladstone way.
Wouldn't have wanted to leave it on the road to long, wouldn't be to much of it left I wouldn't think.

Corry

DNO40
12-09-2005, 05:30 AM
Not only the last thing that you would want to happen but could turn out to be quite exspensive.

Tracker
12-09-2005, 10:19 AM
spareparts for stagestruck???

TonyM
12-09-2005, 10:41 AM
On the run to Awoonga and back last week there was no shortage of semi drivers keen to cause more accidents like this.

I was towing a van and had one sitting right on my arse for about 5 mins. I was sitting on 100 and he would have been only about 2-3 feet behind the van. I slowed down as soon as there was an overtaking lane and let him past, but it annoys the hell out of me that we have to drive for idiots like this.

Had another truck pass me in opposite direction crossing a bridge and he wandered onto my side of the road, I reckon 6 inches more and he would have clipped the van as I couldn't move over any more - I used to think it was the minority of truckies that were idiots but I think it's more like the majority nowadays #>:(

Bosunsmate
12-09-2005, 02:39 PM
The big problem is still the idiots who have no idea how to drive on the highway, they spend 95% of their lives driving in city traffic and only drive highways during the holidays.

They have no idea of the stopping and acceleration distances, how many have you had pull out in front of you and force you to go down the box in a great hurry....This is just as dangerous.....Its not only the kids we need to educate its the adults as well IMHO.

Safe & happy holidays to all..

roz
12-09-2005, 03:07 PM
I lived in a police station residence for about 16 years, and got to see some sad sights.

Don't be too quick to judge.

I feel so sorry for those people, I hope they had insurance.

Roz

-spiro-
12-09-2005, 07:39 PM
Poor bugga hope the hull is all right 8-)

thedeckie
12-09-2005, 07:42 PM
Gee TonyM,
Thats a huge call,majority of truck drivers are the idiots/problems,I have been a truck driver myself and have a lot of friends in the transport industry.These guys are absolute professionals,legal speeds,legal log books and times and naturally aspirated....no drugs.When I talk to these people there biggest gripe, beleive it or not is people with caravans.
Picture This:
Joe Blow works for XYZ Company for 45 years,driven his 1972 corolla to work everyday for 45 years turns 65 retires,puts his hand out for the $$$$$,heads down the caravan joint,purchases a 25ft caravan then heads off for a 4WD....(Gotta look the part),loads up mum and heads off into the sunset,I personally dont beleive that trucks are always to blame,yer sure,there is still a few cowboys out there,I think generally people are too quick to jump to conclusions......!!!!!!

Cheers
The Deckie (Paul)

Tracker
12-09-2005, 07:44 PM
I hope the insurance is ok. we weighed our650sig and it went 2400 with fuel but nofishing gear.Towed by a commodore,abit light for towwagon. Would have given the driver a hell of a shock.

Bosunsmate
12-09-2005, 08:40 PM
I gotta agree with you deckie, sorry Tony but you were a bit judgemental on the heavy operators........as i said earlier its car drivers can be more of a danger than the heavy operators.......

Needmorerum
12-09-2005, 08:44 PM
Spiro, the hull had quite a bit of damage to it. The top of the deck around the windscreen was ripped off.

Paul, I agree, at least 99% of the truckies are doing the speed limit when driving. Not too many caravaners do the speed limit. I'm not saying that they should be sitting on 110, but on our way to the Rest Stop on Saturday, we got stuck behind a couple of grey nomads sitting on 70kph. This only pissed everyone else off, and there were some pretty dangerous attempts from people to get passed them.
I have very rarely seen a caravaner pull over on the side to let anyone passed. Those that half pull over make it more difficult.

My two bobs.

Corry

propdinger
12-09-2005, 09:11 PM
on my way to sydney i stoped at ramond terrace for a few hours kip. the couple checking in front of use had almost left brisbane the same time we did but because my wife has a old ladys bladder we stopped 1 extra time then them. i was wondering what the police were doing making sure they were ok so i asked the guy what happened it turned out he was driving for most of the way and 45minutes out of raymond terrace they switched drivers it turns out she fell asleep not 15minutes later at the wheel car and caravan writtin off. lucky though they walked away without a scratch.

gawby
12-09-2005, 09:36 PM
Tony,

I didnt want to start a sledging match about trucks and caravans or just the normal car drivers.

I was just making comment on the goings on on the highway.

I am the first to agree that we still have some cowboys out in the transport game. I still like to have a go myself but am restricted to 105kph max. It dosnt go any faster. I consider myself a safe driver and give everyone a fair go.

I invite anyone at anytime to come with me to say, Bundaberg and back and i can tell you you will see what i was saying.

Everyone is entitled to their part of the road however due care and cinsideration should be given at all times.

Anthing could be to blame foe the baot incident and i feel for these people because i wouldnt like it to happen to me.

Graeme

gawby
12-09-2005, 09:39 PM
sorry about the spelling mistakes

TonyM
12-09-2005, 11:04 PM
Re my earlier comment I agree I was both too harsh on truckies in general, and certainly quick to judge.

Seeing those pics reminded me of the anger I felt when the two incidents I mentioned happened and my blood got a bit hot.

I guess either incident could have happened with any other vehicle, it just stands in your memory more when the huge mass hurtling towards you has such a high velocity (something must have stuck in physics e=mc2) . To all good truckies I apologise :-X

Yes it is unfair to generalise so freely, and after giving this more considered thought I think that it is possibly a part of the problem all around with road safety.

The van I towed was actually the first I have ever towed, although I have towed a large variety of trailers over the years (boat, car, box). The attitude of other drivers around me was completely different to what I would normally experience, even when compared to towing a boat or car trailer larger than the van I was towing (it was a little pop-top).

Now I've thought about it I too tend to expect the caravan driver in front of me (no shortage here in Hervey Bay) to be infuriatingly slow, drive recklessly and erratically and appear oblivious to their surrounds...

As in all things it only takes a few idiots to spoil it for all :(