PDA

View Full Version : How old is old enough?

madman1
09-09-2005, 01:03 PM
Mrs Madman is due for deckie #3 in a week or so. We love going out on the boat whether it be fishing or day tripping.

My question to all the wise fishos out there is how old is old enough?

My first two boys were on the tinnie from about six month but now that we have a bigger boat can we take out a "BABY" without being led out for slaughter by Boating and Fisheries?

I intend to attach a baby capsule under the cuddy so she will be out of the weather and she will be sucurely strapped in.

Does anyone know of any rules to abide to apart from acting responsibly and applying the appropriate duty of care.

All thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Mark

P.S . Juggs, All of us at work love your web site. [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=helpa.gif]

blaze
09-09-2005, 01:40 PM
Just my thoughts
I wouldnt take a child in a boat without a correctly fitted pfd (dont think they make them that small. I like the theory behind the capsule but if the youngin is secured in the capsule, even with a pfd, there will be little chance of recovery in an emergency. I like the thought of spending time with your kids but maybe baby capsule size is a bit young.
best of luck bringing the new deckie into this world
cheers
blaze

basserman
09-09-2005, 01:43 PM
all you really need to make sure is that you have a PFD that will fit apart from that i don't belive any rules apply
mind you if you misses is like mine she will make sure all the kids have the best stuff in the world even if that means i miss out on a new rod and reel ;D

Heath
09-09-2005, 01:52 PM
A bit of a worry having anyone strapped in on a boat. I'm with Blaze on that one.

I's personally wait until the new deckie can at least hold their own head up.

_Matt_
09-09-2005, 03:12 PM
Just put yourself in this situation.

You're hit by a big wave and the boat goes over. What happens to bub? Sure she's strapped in securley, but that's the last place you want her to be in that type of situation isn't it?

I'd be more worried about the consequences from taking the baby out unsafely, rather than the consequences of the fishies pulling you up.

I personally wouldn't take my own bub out unless they were able to support themselves in the case of me or the Mrs being unconcious and unable to support them.

In my opinion you just have to think of the worst case scenario and go from there.

If its just a run up the creek obviously the risk would be a whole lot less, but I would still like my Bub to be able to support themselves to a certain extent in an emergancy.

That's just my opinion
Matt

bungie
09-09-2005, 04:14 PM
the weight of the kids head bashing around on the neck each bump you hit could be devastating

Bosunsmate
09-09-2005, 04:32 PM
madman, I agree with Blaze on this one, sure theres no better way to spend the day but I would wait till you can get a PFD that fits the new deckie before venturing out whim him/her......

Good luck hope everything is well for both mum and bub....

westie
09-09-2005, 05:13 PM
Mate DO NOT put bubs in the capsule on the boat at that age.
2 reasons
1) You could give the baby brain damage with the bouncing
around it would be like shaking them.

2) The case of a flip over and the baby is trapped.

Possible Solution. 1) Only go in smooth water for the first 4 months, from
that time the baby will be able to support ther own head

2) Your best swimmer to ware a Suitable PFD all the
time while on the water and have a quality baby
carrier fitted to the front of that person with baby
facing outwards.

Bubs needs to come into your life, DO NOT let mum stay home alone while you and the others are out having fun, it is family time that is so important for all of you to enjoy the things you ALL love.

I owned a string of Baby Shops for 13 years and seen this all to often, MUM needs to keep doing what she love to do and you need to support her.
It is so easy for her to say.... It is OK you lot go and I will stay home...
You all need to adjust is where and when you go boating and remember Bubs will sleep when you are on the water.

And remember you need to adjust your speed to SLOWER for at least the first 12 months

WOOF
09-09-2005, 05:23 PM
Madman1.

You are mad!

There is no way I'd take the young one out at all for quite a while. The thoughts of all that bashing around in a swell.......ugly.

My missus is about to have our 7th kid and I have a rule for the boat.......no kids until they are old enough to open my beer. Simple.

The eldest kid is almost of licence age. Can't wait for that day.......oh the beers.......

basserman
09-09-2005, 07:11 PM
i think you all may of jump the gun abit here
NO where in the post has he said he is takeing the kids and wife out side bottom bashing or trolling for a marlin

the case may be as simple as her want to take them in the river fishing for bream and bread and butter fish

hell i do that all the time with my misses and son and have been takeing him out since he was 6 mouths old
he always wears the best PFD (the one that rights then and makes then float with their little heads out of the water)
and his first trip outside was just on 1 year old

he is three now and a very good swimmer and even knows his way around the boats (how to start them how to stop them and how to steer them with guidance from myself)

so while you bloke think the only boating and fishing you can do is out in the open sea just think about the post and how other may fish ;)

rando
09-09-2005, 08:30 PM
My opinion , walking age,
with this provision, they have done the toddler swimming classes and can at least swim to the surface. A pfd is mandatory.
rando

bungie
09-09-2005, 08:30 PM
All you need to do is hit one bow wave the wrong way :'(

Dave
09-09-2005, 09:05 PM
My young fella is 4, he has been out in the boat for a family day out down the pin a couple of times along with my second one which is now 2. Went out today and bought a good PFD 1 for my 4 year old as he is keen to do more fishing. Taking him down to the pin tomorow to see how he goes with a little bit of wash from the other boats. If he is ok just have to convince mum to let him come for a little trip out through the seaway. I have no worries taking either of my to out in the rivers at their ages. The things i would be worried about with a baby on board is the bumping around and if something bad did happen even if not your fault, (but there are a lot of cowboys out there) that they would be strapped to the boat. I reckon in the capsule but not strapped in. mum steadying it.
Just my thoughts and my practise.

2DKnBJ
09-09-2005, 09:57 PM
Totaly agree with you Basserman.I have been taking my three kids out since they were 6 months old and they love being in the boat now.
This weekend will be our first without any of them as we had planned to be fishing offshore not that i have any probs taking the young fella out.also would have been my first time outside in my boat so thought it best i leave him behind on this one.
By the way the rule for life jackets or PFD'S on children is that they are not required to wear one if they are under 12 months old.
Cheers Dazza

madman1
12-09-2005, 01:03 PM
Thanks for all of your opinions. They have all been taken on board.

The bouncing around under the cuddy is a real eye opener. I never even thought about that.

Thanks once again

Mark

cabfisher
13-09-2005, 02:46 AM
Hi All If the child is not old enough and cant Swimm to save its self ( not just flote . Well it to young .Ok
Cheers Harry

Pwoida
13-09-2005, 10:05 AM
You have to have the correct rating of PDF for each soul on board so you'll have to look around and see if one is available for a new born. The police will fine you if bub doesn't have one. I personally think that a child is in more danger in a car than on a boat operating in smooth waters.

Pwoida
13-09-2005, 10:08 AM
ps. Just dont hit any sandbanks at speed! ;)

agnes_jack
13-09-2005, 10:49 AM
There is just too many things that could go wrong on the water.
Smooth inshore waters or outside, just tooooo many variables.
I get people in the shop all the time asking for kids lifejackets, it absolutely floors me how often people change their mind when they see that toddler jackets are so expensive, MOST people decide not to worry about it, "I'll just hold her/him" is the common statement.

AT what price do we put our kids lives!!!
2or3 years, bubs will be fine in the boat, and safe!

Regards, Tony

basserman
13-09-2005, 11:14 AM
had a infants jacket (yes you can get them for near newborns) that only last my son less than a year and cost around $250 only wore it twice but still i woudn't complain about the cost
best thing about infants children and jounor jackets is they hold good value and are easyly sold
as a few of us said you you do the right thing and the smart thing nothing wrong with takeing a bub out in the boat