PDA

View Full Version : 50 leather jacket to many

fishman7
12-09-2005, 12:31 PM
hi guys
i was looking at another web page and some guy seen a boat with 50+ large learther jackets i think that this is just silly. then they wonder why they are talking about boat limits. myself i would just keep 10 and let the rest go if there is a lot out there why keep so many.poeple keep saying there are a lot yes, there is but if we dont look after the stocks there wont be for long.down at batemans bay there use to be a lot but boats start to trap them and there hasnt been a lot lately.i have been around the fishing ind all my life and have seen a lot of fish overcaught, tuna, redfish, snapper, sharks etc. i think if we dont look after the stocks our kids will have nothing to fish for in years to come. that my 2 cent what do you think.
danny

Razza
12-09-2005, 12:39 PM
The problem is that these leatherjackets are coming up from deep water and their swim bladders are blown, throwing them back isnt fixing the problem as they are still dying.
They move in in plague proportions and you cant keep them away from your bait as they will even eat your sinkers if given enough time.
If anyone can solve the problem would be glad to hear from you.
Razza

fishman7
12-09-2005, 12:48 PM
hi razza
i just put a little hole in there bladders and they swim away.i use dole sinker and that seen to help but i lose a lot before finding that out.we use to get a lot out in the 60fm mark here.but if they dont feel the bit you can lose a lot of gear.

snappa
12-09-2005, 01:35 PM
do you guarantee they LIVE.. :-?

fishman7
12-09-2005, 01:48 PM
hi
they swin away i also do it with other fish. sweep mari wrasse i dont see any floating.so i think it works.

seabug
12-09-2005, 04:03 PM
While 50 fish does at first glance does seem exccesive it may not be .

Consider 2 situations

First person lives right near the water and goes fishing once or twice a week and takes home a couple of meals each time

Second person lives inland and only gets to go fishing on annual holidays and takes fifty no bag limit fish.

Around Port Phillip Bay a lot of people are fortunate to be able to go fishing very often and get a bag limit of flathead and whiting

I quite agree that we have to have bag limits, and I can see no alternative to the present rules,but it does leave the once or twice a year fisher person ,hours away from the coast ,at a big disadvantage.

Re punturing swim bladders.
How can a fish ajust/live if the swim bladder is puntured?
Would they not just sink like a stone?

Regards
Seabug

mackmauler
12-09-2005, 04:05 PM
be a few blokes keen to see the leatherjackets extinct, maybe we just put a fence at the border to keep them out of QLD water!

JB
12-09-2005, 07:31 PM
haha yeah we hope he takes hundreds, take em all ! ;)

cabfisher
13-09-2005, 02:28 AM
Hi All well I used to fish of Sydney back in the sixtys just of the sydney heads and the leather jacket was a good eating fish and easy to clean and skin .
I know that they can bite at anything and if anything snags on your line and they are around they will bite through your line with those Teeth so watch out when handleing them . They were also called Butter fish and with the big bone s easy to eat and if you dont like to eat them just send them My way thanks
Good fishing Cheers Harry
P S I now reside in Caboolture .

Mad_fisherman
13-09-2005, 08:55 AM
On the weekend i was watching one of the fishing shows and Steve starling and also the weirdo on fishing WA both punchered there bladders and let them go. they both said that this way the fish can go straight back down and it does not kill them. steve starling did it to a massive cod (i think) with its bladder hanging out it's mouth. and it swam away no problems.

if they die i do not think these fellas would do it on tv.

But hey who knows.

MAD!

isaac
13-09-2005, 12:46 PM
Fish swimming away after having their bladders pierced in one thing but do they live? Apparently piercing their bladders with anything but a sterilized needle will cause infection and they will die anyway and even then its doubtful. The charter boats in WA that specialse in deep water jiggin for sambos use a "release weight" and have had the local uni on side studying the effects of c'n'r in deepwater. Heaps more info about it http://www.westernangler.com.au/forum/forumid_29/tmode_1/smode_1/p_1/tt.htm and a picture of the release weight http://www.recfishwest.org.au/ .

once_bitten
13-09-2005, 05:46 PM
not trying to change the subject
but when i was about 14 my older brother was teaching me to spearfish and of course i was left with the carry bag and told to keep up yeh right good on ya bro well him being able to swim like a dolfin it wasn't long before i lost site of him so i headed back to shore as i was told to do if that happens
well he speared a large chinaman leatherjacket and because i was nowhere to be seen he thought it was dead and put it down his wetsuit top ;D ;D ;D ;D IT BIT HIS NIPPLE OFF ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D. its ok even he laughs about it now

szopen
13-09-2005, 06:46 PM
Good he did not put it further down the wet suit. ;)