PDA

View Full Version : Here comes the RFL

kc
02-09-2005, 07:57 AM
Beattie sneaks in a Family Fishing Licence

The Fishing Party (Qld)

Branch Office PO Box 1311 Airlie Beach QLD 4802

ABN : 36 733 771 800

Contact Ph. 49464 260 (H) 0414 785 462 (W)

Email : kc@whitsunday.net.au

For Immediate Release

2 September 05

The Beattie Government is planning to impose a fishing licence of all Queenslanders and visitors. No longer will we be able to just go down to the beach or creek to go fishing.

This licence will double the cost of a family fishing trip. While now a basic fishing kit costs 20 or 30 dollars, a fishing licence is proposed at $30.

“They are touting the success of the NSW System and looking enviously at the dollars raised” But the anglers in that state say the system is a disaster with no real value returned to the fishing community. Fishing licences have proven to be a disaster in every state.

Twenty five percent of Queenslanders go fishing at least once a year - so that could mean a $30 million windfall for a government in trouble.

We are already being taxed for fishing. Hidden in boat registration fees is a Private Pleasure Vessel (PPV) levy that is supposed to improve fishing facilities. In the same policy there are plans to increasing this levy by a whopping 20 percent.

The Government document justifies this fee increase saying it is unlikely to be noticed.

“And no one will tell us where those dollars go. They just disappear into government coffers and no one is accountable.” Says Fishing party Chairman Kevin Collins. “That’s the experience of other states and in Queensland”.

Out of millions of dollars the Government pays about $100,000 to support a representative body like Sunfish. But Sunfish are to have their funding pulled again if they dare to speak out against the Government.

“Having a body that is supposed to represent anglers and sometimes disagree with Governments will never work when their funding is at the whim of the Minister.” Says the Fishing Party.

In May the Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries put out a paper on Commercial Fishing licences - but inserted at the very end was a single line saying

“Reducing the costs to the community of managing Queensland’s fisheries resources by increasing the financial contributions made by the recreational and commercial fishing sectors”

In the latest document the Department is considering:

“Queensland should adopt a model similar to that in NSW ($6 for 3 days; $12 for a month; $30 per year; $75 for 3 years) with the introduction of a recreational fishing licence/permit”.

“The recreational angler already generates some $32M a year in GST revenue alone to state coffers, on top of this we have a private vessel levy and now Government is clearly eying off additional revenue raising exercises”.

Evidence from the Government's own surveys is already showing a significant decline in the participation rates in the sport, as a direct result of overregulation and a lack of access.

“This is just another nail in the coffin, more reason to stop fishing and turn to other pastimes, more reason to stop spending time with your kids, and with no consideration for all the small family businesses that live and work within the recreational fishing industry”.

Clearly the Beattie Government has learnt nothing from the Fishing Party turnout in the last Federal election results. 30,000 votes and tipping the balance in the Senate.

“Back recreational fishers into a corner and they will vote to protect their rights. Give them a clear vehicle to voice their concerns and a place to actually park a protest vote and they will do so in droves. I Fish & I Vote is no longer just a quaint bumper sticker.”

Ends

Wyoming
02-09-2005, 07:59 AM
WHOA! It had to happen. Is the license we had to have?

StevenM
02-09-2005, 08:39 AM
mmmmmm

interesting KC

watch this space then?

DR
02-09-2005, 08:42 AM
i don't really have a problem with a fishing licence....so long as it goes back into fishing & is used to increase facilities etc. but it wont.. it will dissapear into the govt coffers, everywhere but fishing.

beattie appears to be increasingly upsetting everyone these days, definately will not get my vote at next election..

CFisher
02-09-2005, 08:42 AM
Hi KC,

Best of luck fighting this one mate.

Had to sneak in a smile though at this comment (..... increasing this levy [PPV] by a whopping 20 percent.) - the proposed increase in commercial licensing fees will see my annual licensing costs increasing by about 400%. I know what I would prefer, 20% increase on $15 (PPV) or 400% increase on $1200. Hmmmmm

Cheers
Andy

Glind
02-09-2005, 10:19 AM
Poor Peter has got to pay for Di Fingleton and Dr Darren Keating somehow!

DaneCross
02-09-2005, 10:47 AM
I know where Beattie can stick his fishing licence >:(

BLOCKER
02-09-2005, 11:16 AM
I agreee with DR that so long as the funds are returned to improve the recreational fishing industry a licence is fine, But as per all the levys on car rego`s and fuel taxes for the roads they do not end up going back to improve them.

BLOCKER

kc
02-09-2005, 11:19 AM
Feel for you Andy!! All of us in business cop it in the neck and no doubt I'll end up paying more for my fish (& I use over 1 tonne a month...Australian fish only) Just bear in mind this is a draft proposal...but we all know were they end up!!

Unless a stink is kicked up now, draft becomes reality. I have already had a call from Fisheries Ministers office...yeh! I know, we don't ACTUALLY have a fisheries minister at present hmmm!, but there is still staff on deck....and they are not happy with the release of "draft" information....best hope is that they will now come out and catagorically refute and RFL......is that like never, never a GST??

Will be interesting couple of days.

KC

kc
02-09-2005, 11:25 AM
As a side note TFPQ fully supports SIPS because it works and supports a rec only artificial fishery.

The wild fishery already belongs to the people, we already pay enough in tax, they have not worked in other states, the money is not returned to the fishery and it is just another reason to give up fishing and do something else...pity help the industry and people whose businesses survive on rec fishing.

RFL's will be an agenda item at the TFPQ AGM and our policy on this issue may be changed. At this stage however TFP is oppossed to RFL's. The principles are fine but the reality is very different.

Regards

KC

basserman
02-09-2005, 12:41 PM
well comeing for NSW i do seeing it working a bit (just not sure how much is getting used and how much is getting waisted)
they made the river i live along a rec haven and it has both increased the size and number of fish in here comparied to the other close by river where pros are still allowed on
also with the chain of FADs being put out along the coast we are now getting the dollies and tunas hanging around alot later in the year
i also got some hook as part of a testing program to help find the better types of hook for the fish and this is another thing i have seen from my $25 per year so yes i do belive that it is working it is just a case now of finding out how much of the money isn't getting spent on the fishey and also i would like to see more officers to enforce the laws
no dout the biggest thing any state fishey could do is put more enforcement on to enforce the laws and that would see the biggest improvment of all IMHO

fish2eat
02-09-2005, 12:57 PM
If it was a creative thinking government and not a lying money grabbing one like Beattie's, then there could be some positives.

Imagine if
1. It funded a better policing of undersize catches
2. Anyone caught without a licence would pay a BIG fine
3. Anyone caught with undersize/over bag limit would have a suspension or cancellation of licence
4. Money was spent on research and facilities

OK dreaming......its just a money grabbing exercise :(

Gazza
02-09-2005, 01:13 PM
2. Anyone caught without a licence would pay a BIG fine

Gee mate ,how much do i have to save up to pay the fine :'( :'(

Willo
02-09-2005, 01:59 PM
I haven't any real problem with a fishing licence as long as the funds goes to the right places.
But now if you live on the Gold Coast and do most of ya fishing out of Tweed Heads you will have to have two licence [smiley=angry.gif] one for Qld and one for NSW

gunna
02-09-2005, 02:00 PM
Basserman sees some good in it - and I don't blame him after his river was made a rec haven. I get the opposite - Sydney Harbour and the Hawkesbury cop an absolute flogging from the commercial guys after the Govt pussyfooted around with the haven decision making. My main beef now is that all sorts of statements were made by the Fisheries Minister at the onset. We then got a new Minister who seems much more aligned with the commercial guys than the recs. We now get the shaft - while the Govt continues to divert much of the funds for other purposes. So while some good things happened - we also needed some sort of iron-clad guarantees that things would not be changed or funding diverted. Never got them. Thats what will also be missing in the Qld version and heaven help you in a few years time.

stubbie
02-09-2005, 02:59 PM
I haven't any real problem with a fishing licence as long as the funds goes to the right places.
But now if you live on the Gold Coast and do most of ya fishing out of Tweed Heads you will have to have two licence [smiley=angry.gif] one for Qld and one for NSW
Looks like ya have 'real problem' then 'Willo'. :'( Say no to licences [smiley=thumbsdown.gif]

megafish71
02-09-2005, 03:36 PM

“Queensland should adopt a model similar to that in NSW ($6 for 3 days; $12 for a month; $30 per year; $75 for 3 years) with the introduction of a recreational fishing licence/permit”.

Or $20 odd dollars for three years membership to The Fishing Party and we fight it to the death.

Ron

fish2eat
02-09-2005, 03:48 PM
As far as living near the border and fishing the other side is concerned, why can't they be recognised like car licences. You don't have to have a NSW licence to drive over the Tweed

However, if its inevitable (and I hope its not) the guys who use this site will grumble then get a licence. We're the ones that spend the big buck on toys at the tackle shop. The ones it'll discourage are the occasional fishers who use the $20 KMart combo with the frozen prawns and keep undersize bream, flatties etc.

nonibbles
02-09-2005, 03:54 PM
Don't forget, for boat owners there's this bit too:

"We are already being taxed for fishing. Hidden in boat registration fees is a Private Pleasure Vessel (PPV) levy that is supposed to improve fishing facilities. In the same policy there are plans to increasing this levy by a whopping 20 percent.

The Government document justifies this fee increase saying it is unlikely to be noticed. "

How much is that fishing trip gunna cost now?

Black_Rat
02-09-2005, 04:06 PM
Wouldn't really mind paying a fee if it went back into the community for projects like releasing 1000s of Jewie finglings into the Pin system :D but it'll propabaly end up just another revenue raiser of money for the government to waste >:(

kc
02-09-2005, 04:06 PM
It OK guys...all a big mistake. Head advisor to the fisheries minister has been in touch most upset....you see it is only a DRAFT proposal (where have we heard that before).

This is a proposal put to fisheries(& on the fisheries web site) as a result of the RIS port meetings...just a proposal and in draft format.....funny how if you change just 2 letters...d & r to s & h the word draft spells something entirely different!!

I have to admit that to date TFPQ has found the state Government to be reasonable....in its posturings if not yet any outcomes.
We await the release of the GSS re-zoning to see if they really are listening but if we get "drafted" there then the gloves will be off.

The purpose of this release was clearly to get a "bite"...we are fisherman after all and it worked. Lets just see what the outcome is and if we get a catagoric denial.

KC

fish2eat
02-09-2005, 04:19 PM
You could argue that the Fishing Party changed the face of politics in Australia because their preference distribution got Barnaby Joyce elected

Beattie should be aware by now that he can't aford to alienate any more groups in Queensland. Lets bring back the "I fish and I vote" bumper stickers

dazza
02-09-2005, 05:20 PM
draft my a#@e,
if it is at draft level, you can bet there have been many hours spent on the proposal, the smiling pete or now should that be poor pete, is going to be struggling to win the next election, TFPQ are in a very good position to do a bit of bargaining
cheers
dazza

Bosunsmate
02-09-2005, 06:15 PM
Bet they spent more $'s on that draft than they spend on design drafts for new boat ramps and other facilities for rec boateis and fishers in Queensland.

It's about time we got together and produced the collective boot for Premier Pete's lying fat A$$.

Bring on the Bumper stickers.....

Daintreeboy
02-09-2005, 06:18 PM
This sucks. A question Kev. How does the tourist guys doing charters fit in here? An interesting one that. I bet they get some clearance or what have you.
Ron is right on the money, lets fight this one to the death, bastards....

szopen
02-09-2005, 07:32 PM
A piece of info from another part of the world.

In Poland where I come from there is a government fishing licence a bit like a driving licence.
You have to pass a quick exam from fishing regulations, minimum sizes for fish etc.
This cost almost nothing and is valid for life.

Than to actually go fishing there is another licence issued by Fishing Association.
This is an annual thing and all the money goes to the association and is being used by them for purely fishing related expenses (stocking, patrols etc).

kc
02-09-2005, 10:39 PM
Like a deer with no eyes Mark...not sure. I assume (don't know but will find out) it is something like SIP for guys who charter on dams.

KC

cabfisher
03-09-2005, 07:21 AM
So what about the pensioner in Nsw they dont have to paid if they a card
will that be the same here ???

scatter1
03-09-2005, 10:49 AM
Twenty five percent of Queenslanders go fishing at least once a year - so that could mean a $30 million windfall for a government in trouble.

that's a pretty long bow to draw in that it assumes the once-a-year angler will buy the yearly licence. if tfp wants to be taken seriously (and i hope they are) then that sort of "oversight" is counter-productive.

Bosunsmate
03-09-2005, 03:44 PM
IMHO I am sure kc and TFP have not made an oversight but simply done the same as the goevernment itself would have done and used statistics.

We gotta remember that statistics are what this country runs on....they keep many many people employed down there in that great grey sponge city called Canberra.
Yes I know we are talking about a Qld RFL, I am just stating a point.

gif
03-09-2005, 10:24 PM
I agree the statistics are a stretch Not only is he assuming every one gets and annual licence as pointed out above, it also assumes that children pay a licence fee as well ( they don't for SIP's)

But he does say "could mean" The way I read this as that Kevin is just having to use press releases and play the media game the way the rest of them do.

I'm not a fan of it - but at least TFP is learning to play the game with the big boys

kc
03-09-2005, 11:39 PM
I think Gary has a better understanding than most about how the game is played!!

So!! To recap the score.

The ball was served up by Fisheries with the draft RIS proposals...TFPQ caught at the 22meter line and punted it back....with interest....following is the return of serve.ie

DPI Press Release

Fisheries department Press Release dated 2nd September .Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries
Queensland Government

Media Release

2 September, 2005

Fishing Party gets lines crossed on recreational fishing license

There are no plans for a recreational fishing license in Queensland, despite claims to the contrary made by the Queensland Fishing Party today.

Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries (DPI&F) Deputy Director-General Fisheries Peter Neville said the claims related to a recently published document - Draft outcomes of the first round of port meetings held from 21 May to 8 June 2005 – compiled by the department.

“The document outlines the issues and feedback raised by commercial and recreational fishers and the general community during consultation meetings regarding proposed changes to fishing licensing and fees which were outlined in a Regulatory Impact Statement (RIS) released earlier this year,” Mr Neville said.

“A range of issues were raised by fishers during the course of these meetings including the possibility of a recreational fishing license in Queensland. The view of some sectors of the community was that they would prefer to see a recreational fishing license rather than having revenue collected from the recreational sector through the existing Private Pleasure Vessel (PPV).

“Departmental officers strongly emphasised that this was not Government policy and that no recommendation would be made to Government with regard to implementing a recreational fishing license in the foreseeable future.

“The Government’s position in relation to a recreational license is also clearly outlined in the draft outcomes document.”

The draft outcomes document is available on the DPI&F Fishweb site at www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb

So........at half time...how do we judge the first half?????????????

The Opposition is nervous!

This was not a draft proposal...it was only a draft proposal........it was as a result of feedback from commercial fishers, recreational fishers and members of the general public (yeh right) at the port meetings.

So we look at this closely..

There are "no plans"................for ^%$$# sake...where have we heard that before..why not just say WE WILL NOT

This was "compiled by the department".well uncompile the bloody thing....why include on your web site!

TFPQ takes a view that this was just quitely run up the internal flagpole to see if anyone was watching.....we were & now they are tapdancing backwards with typical bureaocratic skill.

Maybe we are wrong...maybe draft really was only a draft but with the experince gained from RAP, never again will we trust these ^%$%#% to be honest.

Hopefully, this is the end of the RFL....at least till after the next election.

Thanks all for your interst and input.

Regards

KC

jaybee
04-09-2005, 03:04 PM
After having read all this i am in favour of a license on the grounds.
a. a basic test on bread and butter species.
why, then no one can say they dont know the species and or size and bag limits, or say i no speak english. (ignorance then does not become an excuse)
b. purchase of a bait net can only be done on supplying a license. (ignorance cannot become an excuse)
c.no bait collecting unless you have a rec license. (ignorance then not become an excuse)
d. the funds are handled by an independent body that is controlled by rec fishers, (if this can be done) with a high percentage going into the enforcement of the above, i.e fisheries patrols and then boat ramps etc.
e. the levy comes off what we pay now on boats (but is then fair on non boat owners)
having said my piece, there is still a lot to be determined, however, the biggest issue i beleive is to stop the rape and pillage of undersized fish and over bag limits. there is a lot of people out there doing this, from all walks of life. (so how do we stop ignorance from being an excuse)?
cheers
Joe.

Wally
04-09-2005, 06:22 PM
Jaybee its not hard to combat your issues.Apply the 3 strikes your out policy.

1 get a fine

2 suspension, of say 6 months

3 your gone never to fish again

No matter which state you live in this is rife, and as you said it needs to be stamped out.You could even do what other countries do and confiscate all equipment used.Boat/gear/Car then sell them off.It would only take a few to get caught and the word would get around.You could bet that they would think twice about doing it,

As for the licence, I wish WA had one and I would make dam sure it was set up how the recs wanted to.

Learning from mistakes of the NSW model and using the initiatives, also adding your own.

Its only a matter of time before all states have one.My suggestion is to embrace it and make sure it is set up how you wish it to be.

Wally

PS Gazza hahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahah

Jackie99
04-09-2005, 07:14 PM
Lucky Queenslanders - we have had freshwater fishing licences in Victoria for years, and a couple of years ago they introduced fishing licences for salt water and boating licences. Must admit I was sceptical at first, but the money has been spent on fishing resources - quite a few new boat ramps, a lot better policing of anglers taking undersized fish and exceeding the bag limits, more checks on boating safety equipment etc. etc. The big gain has been that some of the money was used to buy out commercial fishing licences in some enclosed waters (e.g. Gippsland lakes) Generally it has benefited fishing in Victoria. I hope it does the same for Queensland

Jackie99 8-)

Daintreeboy
04-09-2005, 07:53 PM
Jaybee ignorance should never have been an excuse in the first place, the fisheries officers have allowed it to be. A license will not make any difference to this side of the fishery. These 'ignorant' people will still do what they feel like.
As already pointed out, we effectively pay a permit anyhow if we own a boat via the PPV. Some of us own more than one boat two. There is also enough money raised via GST etc to put more officers on the water, the govenment just doesn't want to do it as it's not a big political vote getter.
Cheers, Mark.

GES
05-09-2005, 04:32 PM
If this proposal has gone to a "draft" then you can bet your socks that it has had serious dicussion in beaurocratic circles and also at Ministerial level.

If we don't let the Minister know NOW that we are adamant about there not being a RFL in Queensland, and that it will be a political disaster for his party to introduce it, then we will get it with all the attendant deceiptful fine print that we have all seen happen in the past.

Like all taxes, once it is put in place and for whatever purpose the Government promises it is for, we can rest assured that it will be a source of easy revenue to be utilised, increased at Government will and creamed off for whatever political purposes by every State Government who comes to power from the time of introduction on.

We have all witnessed what beaurocratic and Government promises are worth on a number of occasions and on a number of subjects over recent times.

They can not be trusted.

GES

Bowser
05-09-2005, 05:04 PM
Given this goverments track record the money will not get spent on fishing. Christ they can't even spend health money on actual health matters. How can you expect a morally and fiscally bankrupt group of a...holes like these to do something for the poor bugger who wants to catch a feed for and with his family.

The only things that I see being done for boating and fishing in Queesnland is that the fisherman gets shafted and the tourist or diver or greenie gets what they want and then they want our little bit as well.

There is just no way you could trust them to spend FISHING monies on FISHING related items. If they spent anything it would go on things already in place and they would doctor the books to show it as going to current expenditure. Probaly be used to pay for the 'Brisbane' which we aren't allowed with in a bulls roar of.

Stick it up the shiny pants of the public service and Beatty and his cronies!!!!!

jaybee
05-09-2005, 05:16 PM
Talking to my Brother about it on the weekend (he lives Brunswick heads) his response, "Yeah i know, its been in the paper and on Tv down there in the last few months" nice they knew before us, but then its probably to give them warning so they don't get caught out when they come up here.

Daintree
These 'ignorant' people will still do what they feel like. Mate i know of at least one state mp that wants a test for the license. Guess though when you look at it, everyone knows its against the law to drink and drive, but people still do it.
cheers
Joe

bugman
05-09-2005, 06:30 PM
No offence Kevin but if you read any of the documents draft or published put out by our FinFishMAC over the past 3-5 years you will notice that they have all included a line similar to the one which drew your original statement and press release.

It's been a standard line, or something very similar, in almost every fisheries document I've read over that time - not just my MAC.

I could presume that your venture in the world of politics has somewhat clouded your clear thinking and analysis of the issues confronting fishing in Queensland or I could be a touch more cyncial and compare your reponses to that of a grandstanding want to be politician trying to raise a public profile.

Surely a position such as yours where people are looking to TFP for guidence on issues they don't fully understand is one of reason and thought rather than knee jerk and incorrect reactions to an already confused public.

So hopefully now that the hysteria has calmed and TFP has had a bit more press - could you please give us an update on the issue of recreational fishing licenses in Queensland. That is if you have any information we could use.

Regards

Brett

roz
05-09-2005, 07:48 PM
We have been paying for fishing licences in NSW for a few years now.

In my area (Coffs Harbour region) have yet to see any of the money spent to improve facilities...even putting a new light bulb in the light at the boat ramp would help lol.

roz

dazza
05-09-2005, 08:46 PM
below it are parts of the minutes from the first round of port meetings to discuss the ris. a rfl is well and truly on the agenda. bear in mind that the majority of people attending are commercial fisherman, alot of these guy's are fighting for their job's. i think both pro and rec fisho's can see a major shafting on the way

"Proposed changes to fisheries licensing and fee arrangements
Draft outcomes of the first round of port meetings held from 21 May to 8 June"

"Reducing the costs to the community of managing Queensland’s fisheries resources by increasing the financial contributions made by the recreational and commercial fishing sectors."

"Participants at the meetings were critical of the RIS process and how seriously issues raised would be dealt with. There is a general feeling that based on past experiences, whatever is in the RIS is what will happen regardless of comments provided to the process. These concerns were expressed at all port meetings."

".. if there was any pressure by recreational fishers to remove commercial fishers from an area, the recreational fishers should be paying fair compensation for that shift in resources to their sector."

"Many argued that for most fisheries resources the recreational sector is having a far greater total impact than commercial fishing and have greater access to it, therefore, they should pay a greater contribution."

"There was also a widespread view that the PPV levy is not the appropriate mechanism for raising revenue from the recreational sector as it only applies to boat owners (including boat owners that do not recreationally fish). The view expressed at most port meetings was that Queensland should adopt a model similar to that in NSW ($6 for 3 days; $12 for a month; $30 per year; $75 for 3 years) with the introduction of a recreational fishing licence/permit. An annual fee of around $25 to $30 was generally considered appropriate although some suggestions were for an annual fee as high as $100."

the full doucument is available at
http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/17117.html#Other
the bit i have cut and pasted should be taken in the full context of the document
these are minutes of the meeting and not policy, but to say a rec fishing liscence is not on the agenda bull$&%t.
Will the DPI&F minister unequivocally rule out a RFL?
i doubt it
cheers
dazza

Baycruiser
05-09-2005, 10:08 PM
Just another way to screw you out of your hard earned AFTER tax dollars!! Hard to see where any of the money currently raised is spent on boating facilities around the Brisbane area. Pretty ordinary facilities for a major Australian city. Compare Gold Coast facilities to those around Brisbane. There is no question that most people would support some sort of levy if the money went back into the facilities & rec. fishing in general.......but we are all cynics...........and with good reason...........most understand human nature and greed!!! Make someone responsible and make the ledger auditable by the general public.....maybe then some of the cynics can be convinced. Until then, the money grabbing beaurocrats can kiss my A**!!!!!!!!!!!.............see you at polling day!!!!!!

kc
06-09-2005, 12:12 AM
Brett your point is well taken and to a degree the game of "politics" requires that "politicians" get media attention, ultimately it is the only way of getting a profile and message to the general public...that is, unless you have bucketloads of money to spend, which we don't. We are, after all, a political party, not a lobby group or peak body.

Gazza quotes some selected paragraphs from the dtaft proposals document which is a "summary" of input from port meetings.

Here is our official slant on this.

They have chosed to publish this "summary" so it become factual evidence of "public consultation".

The actual departmental paper, from my readings of the 40 pages, at no stage rules out an RFL and instead justifies increases in the PPV...it makes no mention of an RFL, for or against and yet it is raised in the draft proposals, input from port meetings.

The simple truth Brett is we don't know what the Government is thinking....we can take them at their word that the draft was just a draft summary of input, or a careful testing of the waters they could ultimately blame on someone else if things went pear shaped....which they did.

Our faith in taking to word of buerocrats has been ruined by the lies told during RAP and we will wait till the release of the GSS zoning to see if the State Government deserve our respect...until then, the jury is out.

We can not and do not expect to get everything right...we just do the best we can with time and resource restrictions but, that said, if we few, did nothing and sat on our hands...or better still, gave up on the whole thing and just got on with our lives...and even went fishing again....would the future be better or worse? For one, I'd rather go down swinging!

Regards

Kev

Gazza
06-09-2005, 10:58 AM
pssst Kev, Dazza not Gazza, posted the excerps ,and is your Bribie guy.... ;)

I'm comfortable with the 'clarification' from DPI , I'm happy to "nail to the wall" an increase to PPV as the "increased contribution" by the Recreational sector/fishos (who own boats) fulfilled ;)

People ,who own cars,who pull boats have HAD a significant reduction in CTP handed back to them, in the back pocket, last year or two.

$2.70 increase is fair and reasonable...sure it's 20%

YOU did a good WTF :D and DPI did a good response IMO ;)

kc
06-09-2005, 01:19 PM
Sorry Dazza/Gazza...it was late and had been a big day at work....hence also the many spelling mistakes...the couple of glasses of red probabley contributed as well.

I kind of think the same way...serve, volley and both of us know the other player is seriuos and "in the game"

KC

Gazza
06-09-2005, 01:39 PM
:D

gif
06-09-2005, 04:49 PM
I am hearing about a general push to get more $ from other sources in DPI&F. # And a certain new but senior Public Servant.

Two reliable sources told me on the weekend that there was a definite proposal to take some $ #out of the SIP scheme for another (but #related) purpose.

Now those who know the scheme should be screaming for blood. #

The SIP scheme is in place - almost as a “club” #to share fundraising for restocking. #The government takes 25% for admin costs. # #( thought it was 20% # maybe they snuck that up??)

But it is not Government revenue # - it is us putting it back. # #

I had a Department Press release retracted a year ago when they claimed that the department had given all these $ to restocking. # # BS! #All they are doing is recycling our money and taking a cut for their troubles.

Now they are having a tilt at diverting SIP $ to other causes. #

Maybe the licence is a diversion # #So they can increase the Boat levy by 20% # for no good reason.

Certainly that have given no good reason or told us where the $s go to. # #

And don’t forget that the number of boat registrations have increased #- and increased at #higher rate that the population increase. So they are getting more Money. So where is the justification?

I know its only a few dollars #- but this is how they work #- slow and sneaky. # #We need to draw a line in the sand.

$6 million for a failed investigation into Health. # #How many doctors could they hire for that ? #(answer 30, who could reduce waiting lists by 10,000 assuming 30 minutes a patient)

And they are hitting us up for extra half a million. # ( $2.70 and about 170,000 registered boats) # with no justification.

Grrrrrrrrr

Angla
06-09-2005, 11:18 PM
This is a very interesting string.

Q. When is a Tax not a Tax. A. If you call it a Fee.

I think all fees are just taxes by another name!

They could make 1 license Fee for fishing and another 1 for crabbing. Bring out the calculators to find the extra $'s raised for the Institution.

On the other hand there is an argument for the positives if the money was returned to the fishing industry in some way to improve sustainability of the fishing stocks as well as ramp upgrades, cleaning stations and recycling waste from cleaning stations.

There must be an answer to this puzzle.

Maybe we could just leave it up to the government to make the right choice based on "i Fish and i vote"

We will suffer the consequences either way

Angla

Brett_Hoskin
11-09-2005, 07:40 AM
The RFL funds collected in NSW were allocated long time before public and lobby groups were asked to submit proposals.. We dont want a similar occurence here in QLD.

gif
11-09-2005, 08:13 AM
Brett

We will always get something like that. I have seen enough to know the plans are made before it goes public.

I was in a room in Canberra last October where the Minister talked 25 senior Rec fishing people from around Australia - I mean Sunfish and the equivalent people from every state.

( don’t ask how I snuck in!)

There Senator MacDonald announced that beyond the GBReef closures there were plans for closed areas for all around Australia. The next being Cape York and the Gulf.

AND he was asking for their input then.

So what happens is those on the inside get a chance - then after its all a done deal it goes public. Public consultation is mostly a sham. Often done so as to limit discussion

Tell me - has anyone on this site heard about the planned closures for the Gulf Area?

Anyone? They have been in planning since before last October.

Like Redland Shire Council that announced a Ramp restrictions on Christmas eve then closed offices for 2 weeks. This had been in planning this whole move for 2 years (I saw the documents) .. but left it until that time of year so the protests were likely to be less.

Thats why when we finally hear about it you have to protest like crazy.

Gary

Lucky_Dave76
13-09-2005, 08:22 PM
If they are allowed to introduce a fishing licence I can guarantee every year from now on we will be facing an increase in fees. I can hear the pollies now..."Due to rising costs and inflation...." Take a good look at the N.S.W Boys ,there were alot of them saying "it's for the good of protecting our fisheries" now they bitch and moan ...complaining about the lack of money spent on the actual resources...and the annual increases they face each year!
Here me now Mr Beatie YOU WILL LOSE MY VOTE!

dasher
14-09-2005, 09:04 PM
Lucky Queenslanders - we have had freshwater fishing licences in Victoria for years, and a couple of years ago they introduced fishing licences for salt water and boating licences. #Must admit I was sceptical at first, but the money has been spent on fishing resources - quite a few new boat ramps, a lot better policing of anglers taking undersized fish and exceeding the bag limits, more checks on boating safety equipment etc. etc. # The big gain has been that some of the money was used to buy out commercial fishing licences in some enclosed waters (e.g. Gippsland lakes) Generally it has benefited fishing in Victoria. #I hope it does the same for Queensland

Jackie99 8-)

Jackie sorry but you have been stooged like the poor buggas in NSW. I know there are guys from NSW that consider the Rfl a total success. They have seen the pie chart and seen exactly where the the money has gone. Sorry guys but you really need to get a grip on politics. Yes the pie chart is correct for RFL funds and only a small % for admin costs you say. Bloody marvelous but all the crap on the pie chart was already gov funded, where's the change??????? All you are paying for is what u already had less admin costs. Not a big win in my eyes.

Jackie if you do your homework you will find out the the total fish stocked since the salt water licence came into Vic has dramatically decreased and a lot of areas closed to fishing. So you are paying for something that was already paid for but getting less. Just because u see a bit of action after the RFL comes in does not mean it is the money from the RFL that that does it!!!!! The money was already there!!!!!!

The government is stooging you the same as petrol prices and u are bending over.???? Stop it now mate, no more or our kids are stuffed.

dasher
14-09-2005, 09:13 PM
Someone care to post DPI allocation prior to RFL and then allocation after RFL??? Either Vic or NSW, doubt it will be much different. For the Vics check out your fish stocking since the saltwater was included in your licence, gotta be happy with more money eh?

banshee
14-09-2005, 09:15 PM
What about Rec Fishing Havens.........that we didn't have before?

Owen
14-09-2005, 09:36 PM
I long time ago in a galaxy far away I used to be politically active.
While you were all at work or out fishing I wonder how many of you knew the ALP was holding public meetings and calling for proposals for a "Bill of Rights" for Queensland?
So what I hear you say. A Bill of Rights would be a good thing. Only thing is they didn't bother saying we already have a Bill of Rights or why we needed politicians to design a new one for us.
Fortunately enough concerned people made enough noise for them to shelve the idea.
My point is that they already knew what they wanted, the public meetings were just so they could claim public consultation had taken place therefore they were acting on the will of the people.

I would like to suggest to the TFP members/heirachy on here that they look into the Pittman-Robertson Act which is in force in the USA and also the Duck stamp system used there. There is a brief description at http://www.meer.org/chap6.htm.
The reason I say this is because if you are going to stand for parliament you have to have policies, not just bag the other guy. Of course when this act was proposed there were honest politicians in evidence and from memory the legislation was "double entrenched" so that subsequent governments could not siphon off the money without holding a referendum to lift the restrictions.
Please note all this is from memory, I have destroyed a few brain cells since those days ;)

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear some feedback from TFP

cheers,

Owen