PDA

View Full Version : DPI-Needs to get it's act together

agnes_jack
09-09-2005, 03:01 PM
>:( >:( >:( >:(
I have been trying to get rules and regulations brochures from the DPI for months now with no result. I was told today that the dpi have been told it will still be a matter of months before they come back from the printers.

I rang today and explained how the holidays start tommorrow and that we will have hundreds of interstate tourists coming here to fish, so how do we let them know the rules.
After talking to a boating and fisheries officer, the lady at the DPI call centre says there will be no exuses, prosecution will be as per normal, even though they can not supply the rules. So we can expect that we will have heaps of illegal fish being taken (over 70cm flatty's etc) and heaps of totally innocent people prosecuted over these holidays.

LUV YA WORK DPI >:( You suck!!

Regards, Tony

kleiny
09-09-2005, 03:09 PM
love it tony the dpi expect you to know the rules but can't tell you what they are man it makes me laugh &cry at the same time. typical government run department hopeless.
kleiny

agnes_jack
09-09-2005, 03:27 PM
Yeh Tim
Not only do they NOT act when you report illegal netting and other fisheries breaches, they are now going to start prosecuting innocent people because of thier own inability to do thier job.

Regards, Tony >:(

PS.... No offence to those members who work for the DPI ;D

Needmorerum
09-09-2005, 03:40 PM
Yeah, I agree Tony, they really need to pick their game up. It's similar to any of the government run organisations. Dept of Transport changes road rules quite often, and tell no one. You find out when the guy in the button up shirt pulls you up at either the ramp or on the way home and gives you a ticket.
You would hope that those from DPI out on the water over the holidays think about what they are doing before they do it hey.
It's very quick and easy to get a bad name, but it take eons to get a good one.

Corry

agnes_jack
09-09-2005, 03:47 PM
Corry they have also informed me that there are some changes in the new rule books too, but can't or won't tell me what they are.
So fishing these holidays is a bit like a game of russian roulette!!

Regards, Tony ::) ::)

gawby
09-09-2005, 03:56 PM
Tony,
If yo go to www.dpi.qld.gov.au and go into the queensland fisheries you can download the rules and regs as to date.
I would suspect that using these if the only ones available and you got knocked off then you would have a good fighting chance in court as the dpi are a bunch of u no wats like the nat parks.
Graeme

Bosunsmate
09-09-2005, 04:14 PM
No different to GBRMPA up here when they introduced the new zoning, took ages for us all to get the new maps/charts etc......I am led to believe that the CDROM still has'nt got the correct info on it.....

Typical overnment department.......does'nt matter wheather they are state or federal(feral) they are all the bloody same, just ask anyone that has dealt with DVA.

I have never had any real political following over the years that have passed but I am gathering steam in favour of TFP. IMO this is where TFP should come into it...help us in keeping the bastards honest by making them answer to the fishers through their local TFP member.........its time for a change........

Sorry about ranting and raving but this stuff gets my blood boiling........

rando
09-09-2005, 08:39 PM
Ring ACA, or one of the other reports programmes they should be interested in beating up a Govt Dept especially if smeone has copped a dud fine

hidden_agenda
09-09-2005, 10:05 PM
DPI-Needs to get it's act together
« on: Today at 15:00:48 » Quote
Angry Angry Angry Angry
I have been trying to get rules and regulations brochures from the DPI for months now with no result. I was told today that the dpi have been told it will still be a matter of months before they come back from the printers.

I rang today and explained how the holidays start tommorrow and that we will have hundreds of interstate tourists coming here to fish, so how do we let them know the rules.
After talking to a boating and fisheries officer, the lady at the DPI call centre says there will be no exuses, prosecution will be as per normal, even though they can not supply the rules.

Send them an email and keep the reply. Writing always makes them nervous.
Talk is cheap and useless in a court of law.

Download the rules from their website and print a one off copy to put on display.

Reality is that they probably have instructions to encourage digital delivery without vocal explanation :-/

How does the national fishing community force change in the DPI across the nation ? :-/

It seems some in the department have an anti-fishing culture? :-/

theoldlegend
10-09-2005, 07:30 AM
Aah, the good old DPI. I used to work there before I retired. Sorry, I'll rephrase that. I used to be employed there.

I had the job of convincing the staff in regional areas to change from the Stat Formula method to the Log Book method for their cars for Fringe Benefits Tax. :-/

It was the most dangerous job I ever had. Nearly got run out of town at a couple of places. Once some staff filled out their log books, they had trouble keeping their cars as the private use was more than the business use. Can't help bad luck. I think I became one of the most hated persons in DPI. We did manage to save over $400 000 in FBT the first year though.

Tony, keep plugging away. It might pay you to keep a log of the dates, times etc that you've tried to get info out of them.

Something that might stir the pot is called a "Ministerial". It's when the Minister gets a letter from the local member of Parliament or a person in relation to some issue. These have to be acted upon quickly by the staff concerned to formulate a response. If you informed your local member of the difficulties you're having and asked him/her to refer the matter to the Minister, you might get some action.

Just a thought. Hang in there.

TOL

agnes_jack
10-09-2005, 08:22 AM
Gawby
I have been printing copies of the regulations off for about 2 1/2 months now, out of my own pocket. There is no way I am going to pay for the printing of the amount I would need to get thru the holiday period. There is always a copy of the size and bag limits on display in my shop. Apart from the sizes and bag limits, there are pages of relevent rules to print such as what is determined to be a coral reef fin fish, removal of pec fins, filleting at sea rules, combined bag rules etc as well as safety requirements in boats etc.
All of this info is required when an interstate visitor comes to queensland for the first time,or since the last changes occured.
I had the exact same trouble at this time last year, so they should know that during holiday periods it is vital to have the info available.
People need to be able to take copy's of the regs with them when they fish, most people could not remember from a brief viewing in the shop.

I guess they just don't give a stuff!!

Regards, Tony

trout3030
10-09-2005, 09:51 AM
Agree with Tony whole heartedly. Also think the DPI should go one further and actually provide material which is easy to read and woterproof to some degree. We used to take there size/bag limit brochure on the boat but found it hard to read (confusing and small print) and it only lasted a few hours before it was just a ball of wet paper. I've now gone to the extent of typing out my own version of the size/bag limits in larger print and had it laminated. I am happy to do this because I fish regularly in a boat, but like Tony says visitors should have access to good quality information about our fishery!

southernson
10-09-2005, 06:47 PM
Useless government organisation, revinue raisers that dont give a stuff about neone just how there sector is going in the $ department!!People that try to do the right thing and think they are get nabbed by these w*****s cause there to bloody unorganised to get their A into G n print some info.
Not happy jan >:(

thargor
10-09-2005, 09:31 PM
If you dig a little deeper Agnes you will find that due to the combining of fishing rules into Queensland Transports boating safety brochure they (including DPI & F) decided to allow QT to take control of printing.

So if there are any shortages I wonder who is to blame then?

Yeh I agree there needs to be a ready supply of info for Queenslanders and interstate visitors and what a great time to run out of them right on the closures and the better weather.

As southernson said "People that try to do the right thing and think they are get nabbed by these w*****s cause there to bloody unorganised to get their A into G n print some info" - Yeh no worries southernson I just go ring the local fisheries inspector and tell him/her to drop everything they are doing in the field and go photocopy all day in the office. I would assume that you are directing your opinion at management? I hope so.

southernson
10-09-2005, 09:58 PM
Yeah sorry not to make that a bit more clear, but yeah the poeple handing out the fines/penalties etc arent really the ones to blame its the hierachys further up.
Just my two cents ne way

agnes_jack
11-09-2005, 07:57 AM
I agree Thargor
The guy's in the feild are not to blame, they are governed by a set of rules and should stick by them. The problem lies further up the chain of command somewhere. Doesn't bother me who is at fault, be it queensland transport, or the DPI, fact is the info is not available for those who need it.
If they are going to continue making changes to regulations every year then they need to provide that info to the public. I get no response when I report illegal activities, just__ "there is no one available". Even when they have been told that netting activities will be occuring before it happens. I have reported spearo's filling freezers with barra fillets, illegal crabbing activities etc etc.
Not once have I had a favorable response.
Maybee if some one spent all day photo copying then they wouldn't need so many guys in the field cause more people would know the rules. I am sure they could employ an office girl somewhere to do the photo copying, better than tackle shop owners doing their job for them, anyway.

So who ever IS responsible for the charade needs there ass kicked big time as far as I am concerned.

Regards, Tony

Bosunsmate
11-09-2005, 11:28 AM
Let the BLAME GAME BEGIN.........

DPI&F will blame QT who inturn will blame GOPRINT who will then blame DPI&F and so on......

At the end of the game who wins.....NO ONE....Who looses......those that are caught by the poor bugger wearing the badge on their shirt out on the water trying to enforce the rules 'n' regs......

Sure there are some smart arse enforcers out there but most are just doing their job.

agnes_jack
11-09-2005, 11:35 AM
Bosun
Yeah mate, government departments seem to do that a lot,
Just blame another department, who blames another until the circle gets back to the original department. LOL

Regards, Tony ;D ;D ;D

roz
11-09-2005, 04:52 PM
Totally agree with you Tony,

The unfortunate thing is, the onus is on the angler to be up to speed with length/bag limits etc.

They are making things difficult....and that's being generous, not everybody has access to a computer to check out their web site for the information.

Cheers from

roz.

gif
12-09-2005, 11:54 AM
There have been only minor changes since Dec 2004.

And the law is the same everywhere - if its passed in Parlaiment its law and its every persons job to keep up with it A Brochure is an extra.

Sorry - but some people expect the Government to wipe their noses too.

There are lots of things Fisheries could improve - but I heard the numbers they printed and some people must have taken 10 at a time.

Yes there were mistakes in the first brochure and different mistakes on the web site. It should have been an easy case to win if you followed the brochure where it was incorrect ( Skinning of fish at sea)

There is always the web site - where you can download and print out the rules. http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/14519.html

If there were no free copies available thats what I would do for my customers. An NO you are not doing the Governments Job - you are helping your customers Different attitude same problem

Gary

gawby
12-09-2005, 12:10 PM
Tony,

Can understand the cost on your pocket when this infor should be supplied to you free to hand out.

Maybe, i didnt notice any comment on going to your local member or one of the 6.30 reports stations.

For that matter send a letter to the Prime Minister requesting assistance in this matter.

I did this in relation to a problem i had with the company i work for and had a response in no time.

Food for thought

Graeme

agnes_jack
12-09-2005, 01:10 PM
Gary
Do you have any idea how many pages of info are required to give people the sizes and bag limits, a list of coral reef fin fish, regs on crabbing, info on filleting skinning etc, boat safety requirements, definitions of inshore and offshore waters, #spawning closure times,etc, etc, etc.
I'd like to see you pay for this for about 2 months, then get hit with a major holiday period with around 20-30 people per day asking for the appropriate info, and then get told they won't be printed for at least a few months yet,
2 years in a row. And this is on top of the free tide charts we print, vmr and radio info, weather reports, etc as well as printing of maps on several estuaries and local fishing spots, gps marks etc.
The law is NOT the same everywhere, the law is different in every state and people must be informed.

I REKON I DO ENOUGH FOR FREE!!!
(ps.. I am more than willing to accept donations from really rich people like yourself who can afford to pay for government info to hand out to the masses.)

Get real!!!

Regards, Tony 8-)

Poseidon
12-09-2005, 01:13 PM
Tony, it would be nice if you had the brochures in store to hand out. In the absence of these you could only point out where (the web) the regulations could be downloaded.
The government could do alot more in a variety of informative ways, it all comes down to the allocation of funds and priorities, which it seems is their stumbling block at the moment.
You would only hope that the responsible fisherpersons from other states have spent the time to inform themselves of the fishing regulations in Qld and any other laws, obligations that they may come across in their travels through our wonderful state.

Regards Cameron.

agnes_jack
12-09-2005, 01:51 PM
Cam
The tourists are from the southern states and most don't even realise the rules are different between states. They come to the tackle shops for info to make sure they know the rules. Anyone who has nothing to do with the rule changes in the GBRMP, has no idea the complexity of the rules they will encounter.
Many, many people don't know which end of a computer to plug in, let alone that you can download info on fishing from one. No matter how logical it may seem to check rules etc before going to another state, it just does not happen, and why would it when people assume regs and rules are the same in all states. I could ignore these peoples plight and sit back and watch as dozens of under and over size fish are removed from our waters, green zones are fished in, and people set out in boats with inadequate safety gear, female crabs are taken, etc etc.
If for some reason I was in charge of making- changing these rules, I would understand that I need to make the info as freely available as possible to people, including people that fish only once or twice a year and have no idea of regs and changes, if only to be real about trying to preserve our fish stocks!

All they have to do is print some more pamphlets!!!! ::) ::) ::)

Regards, Tony

fishman7
12-09-2005, 02:01 PM
hi guys
u should be in the charter fishing i have to deal with then a lot.phone calls. i just find out. 30min i get someone to ring you. this go on from weeks and you still get the wrong info.i think that what keeps then in a job.
danny

_Matt_
12-09-2005, 02:22 PM
I agree with Rando, contact A Current Affair and tell them the deal. Word it so it sounds as bad as possible. Those reporters really love to spice it up too.

Really stick it up these bastards, they wouldn't think twice before handing you a nice big fine.

Cheers
Matt

Bosunsmate
13-09-2005, 12:47 AM
There have been only minor changes since Dec 2004.

And the law is the same everywhere #- if its passed in Parlaiment its law and its every persons job to keep up with it # # A Brochure is an extra.

Sorry # - but some people expect the Government to wipe their noses too.

There are lots of things Fisheries could improve # - but I heard the numbers they printed and some people must have taken 10 at a time. #

Yes #there were mistakes in the first brochure and different mistakes on the web site. # #It should have been an easy case to win if you followed the brochure where it was incorrect ( Skinning of fish at sea)

There is always the web site #- where you can download and print out the rules. # http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/14519.html #

If there were no free copies available thats what I would do for my customers. #An NO # you are not doing the Governments Job # - you are helping your customers # Different attitude same problem

Gary

Gary I cannot help but to disagree with your comments,

The laws DIFFER from State to State and a brochure is NOT and extra, I recently closed down a business (due to ill health) and can sympathise with anyone trying to run a buisiness & provide a competetive service. The costs of printing are astronomical and when combined with advertising, transport, staff wages etc etc etc.... it can and often does send businesses bust.

Yes some people do expect a bit much sometimes but when it comes to education about State rules and regs it definately is the government's responsibility. Again not everyone is financial enough to be able to access the WWW at all times (especially when away from home) so the downloading is not always an option, aside from the fact that a lot of the older (Grey Nomads) are computer illiterate and simply don't understand how to access these sites.

You also said that if its passed in parliament its law and its every persons job to keep up with it, the fact of the matter is that the government is obliged to advertise any changes for a certain period of time and make people aware of the new laws as they come into effect.

I worked for NSW State and federal government for 20 odd years and I can tell you that they will duck shove their responsibility when ever they can, so this is no excuse for their failings in this regards.

I am a great believer in keeping the b#*^%$ds honest and the only way we can do it is to stomp on them every time they make and error. They WILL stomp on you if you make an error in judgement regardless of how small, so why should it only go one way?

My opinion in no way relates directly to any one person and is not meant to offend, it does however relate to the entity as a whole...If I have offended please accept my humble appologies.

Graeme

agnes_jack
14-09-2005, 02:16 PM
And the DPI boys are out in force in our Estuary systems by all reports.
People are getting pulled over everywhere!!!

Hope they enjoy themselves :(

Regards, Tony

dasher
14-09-2005, 06:36 PM
And the DPI boys are out in force in our Estuary systems by all reports.
People are getting pulled over everywhere!!!

Hope they enjoy themselves :(

Regards, Tony

Hopefully Tony they are being sensible with the rules mate. :o :-[

Gordon_Scamp
14-09-2005, 06:57 PM
Tony,

When I called them about three weeks ago I was told that the reprint was being delayed because Qld Transport had renaged on their agreement to bear 50% of the costs . It was then explained that the brochures were also too expensive now that they are printed on high quality gloss paper and in full colour.

In the meantime we all suffer with the same problem, I agree with you in that if we solve the problem for them by printing off the internet they will take the easy way out and continue to drag their heels. I have had Fisheries Inspectors in the shop recently who feel the same aobout this as we do.

Regards,
Gordon

dasher
14-09-2005, 07:57 PM
Tony just a suggestion (not a solution) a simple form for customers to sign saying they have asked for the regs and a sig from one of u guys to say this is true. If the worst scenario does happen the customer can refer back to that and then bag the crap out of DPI for not supplying regs>??? Just a thought mate. ::)

peterbo3
14-09-2005, 10:35 PM
To stir the pot a bit more. I live at Campwin Beach 40K south of Mackay. Reef fin fish closures are coming for the spawning season. I happen to know the dates courtesy of this site & the local paper. Has Fisheries put up any info at the four local ramps? No way. There is a bunch of crap about running over dugongs & turtles but zip about the spawning closures. These wankers get good money from EVERY registered boat owner & what do they do??? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? You tell me but I cannot see much cash going into basic education programmes at grass root levels for people who fish for fun & run expensive boats a long way offshore. Perhaps we need a Commission of Enquiry into this little rats nest too. Fat chance though. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Richard
14-09-2005, 10:46 PM
I'll pass on the message Peter (about the signs at boatramps). Seems like a good spot to target boaties.

richard

DICER
15-09-2005, 09:20 AM
I'm completely with Tony on this one.

What it is the problem with their printing unit or out source? I just don't believe the high cost part. It's all very simple, as said before, just print them!!

INDULGENCE
15-09-2005, 11:40 AM
Tony
I am one of the ever greatful tourists you provide info to.
Thank You for the time and energy you put in.
It seems to me that you could have a new career after the sale of the shop, solicit the tackle and boating industries for advertising and publish a booklet for each region
With a few of your helpful fishing tips it might just keep your spare time full.
We tourists to the areas north of the border would pay a small fee for the convenience
Thanks
Wally

imnotoriginal
15-09-2005, 12:24 PM
Keep at them mate, contact every level of government you can. They love getting on top of each other. With the libs in control of the nation and labor in control of the state they should be keen to go to war about the issue. Talk to the qld libs or nats, ACA, today tonight, anyone you can who is willing to take up the fight. The list of people asking for the brochures is a good idea too. Good Luck Mate
Joel

Burley_Boy
15-09-2005, 08:04 PM
They do make it that its our own responsibility to ensure we follow laws and inform ourselves but don't spend time informing us its cheaper to use fines. There are enough laws to follow running a business and employing a few people to keep a full time lawyer on staff.
It would be nice if DPI officers used common sense in applying the law and some will while others use their position as an extension of their manhood../insecurity etc. Bust a tourist for not cutting a pectoral fin is for instance pure stupidity while if they're keeping 12cm Bream throw the book at them. We should have a common sense law... :-/

Tony, don't print and offer the rules for nothing! Add a map or two or something like Tonys local tips and sell the thing for a buck or two. Heck if I came up I'd buy some local tips off ya. Add a page of how to rig your bait or use a soft plastic and promote it next to your tide tables.
Value add and make something from it. :) This stops people grabbing 10x pages just because they're lazy.

We all pay for our government depts in the end and although I agree with keeping them on their toes we're unlikely to make them more efficient.