PDA

View Full Version : Fraser Island Here We Come!!!!!!!!!!!!

whynott
07-09-2005, 08:14 PM
Hi Guys,
We are off to Fraser Island for the first time and we are after some advice. We will be catching the barge from Inskip Point on 20th and will be driving up the beach 2 hours before low tide to Dundubara where we have booked a camp site. There will be two cars. As we have never done this trip before, we are after some tips. We have done heaps of beach driving on Straddie and Rainbow but don't know what to expect at Fraser. :-?
We are after advice on:
Are the tide times 1.5 hours before Brisbane?
What are the beach conditions at the moment?
What to look out for?
Fishing report and suggestions where to get a feed?
Update on the weed?
Any thing else we should know?
Thanks for any assistance given. :)
We are all looking forward to this trip BIG TIME.
Cheers,
Graham.

Angla
07-09-2005, 09:12 PM
First step would be to take the Manta and ask for advice on beach conditions. They are always up to date on all the conditions.
Don't do anything irratic like swerving suddenly and keep a safe distance between vehicles.
Don't feed the Dingoes anyone under 13.
The rangers will give brochures on all the right stuff to do.
Enjoy the trip

Angla

Lucky_Phill
07-09-2005, 09:19 PM
check ya pm,

cheers Phill

SURF_SNIPER
07-09-2005, 09:27 PM
If you can handle straddie and rainbow, fraser is not much different. Ive seen double island and rainbow worse then fraser plenty of times. same principles of driving just a different place.

agree, see costa on the manta ray, nice bloke, good operator, and very fast barge. dingo's normally keep there distance but will hang around if you leave bait in view or are cooking food near them, dont feed them a make sure you dont leave scrapes laying around. if you give them food they will follow you for kms along the beach waiting for more.

tide times are approx 1.5 hours earlier at hook point then the brisbane bar. this gradualy changes further up the island, but if your heading from inskip just work on rainbows tides and you will be fine.

look out for large sections of weed on the beach if any and DONT drive through it, it claims plenty of unwary victims.

if a creek looks a bit ify and you are unsure of you or your vechicles capabilities dont cross it down near the water edge go up higher find a better way across another way preferably, or wait to someone else goes through so you can see where to drive safley. this is another that claims victims

thirdly, slow down. take the time to enjoy fraser safley.

whynott
08-09-2005, 06:40 AM
Thanks guys for your valuable information.
Can't wait.
Bring it on!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers,
Graham.

bugman
08-09-2005, 07:58 AM
Hey Surf Sniper,

May be taking some visitors up to Fraser for a quick 2 day trip on the weekend and looking to do the Tewantin, Rainbow route.

What are the rocks like at the rainbow end?

Bugman

chemmy
08-09-2005, 08:21 AM
http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/oceanography/tides/tide_predications.cgi this is tide times for waddy point so i suspect they would be better than adding 1.5 hour on to another time

SURF_SNIPER
08-09-2005, 02:42 PM
bug man, rocks are exsposed at the moment but passable 1-2 hours ethier side of low tide. shouldnt have any trouble.... especialy in the landy :)

Lazybugger
08-09-2005, 03:46 PM
I am heading up on Saturday for the week. I've been to the comp 4 times and outside the comp numerous times but this is the first time for the other half and her 13yo boy, both getting excited.

We are staying at Dundubara and I have read on this site that the tailor are hanging around there and the catherals, so if anyone is going up friday if they could just start burleying up in front of the camp site ... i'd appreaciate it. ;) I already have a 4kg box of pillies but figure we will be chasing dart etc also, bit easier for the other 2 to cast with less weight ;D. Are pippies all over the place at the moment or just the lower or upper part of the island as I've seen before????

Cheers

westie
08-09-2005, 03:47 PM
If going to the inland lakes be careful letting the tyres down, with all the dry weather there would be alot of sticks on these tracks and is possible to steak a tyre. Take your own recovery gear and a square mouth shovel, they shift more sand than a spade when the sand is like fine powder. If towing a trailer let the tyres down on it as well.

Remember Seat Belts and Drink Driving, at this time of the year you will be checked at least once.

Enjoy the trip and be like a turtle, slow and you will get there and back and keep out of the way of Impatient drivers.

Remember "JUST LET IT GO"

SON_of_ADD60
09-09-2005, 01:49 PM
Heading up Saturday
I wish I was there again as I was there not so long ago. :'(

Yes they get excited as I have taken the wife and the daughter up during the Christmas New Year period. Great time had then killing march flies.

There was a nice gutter formed in front of Dundaburra as we camped down from there in August. Nere the big log.
We had to drive a little though not quite walking distance.

As for the bait (pippies) get them when you see them.
We drove passed them down the lower part of the Island to get a good camp site and by the following day they had all disappeared.
We drove further up the island and none were to be found. BUGGER! >:(
We have now come to the conclusion and I don’t know if anyone else agrees with this but when there is no pippies there is very little fish around.
Don’t get me wrong we did get a feed of fish BUT we had to work for them.

Enjoy your week there lazybugger.
Cheers mate. ;)

cuzzamundi
10-09-2005, 12:38 AM
great advice westie!!!! i reckon we all need to hear that time to time. have a great one whnott.

cuzza

SURF_SNIPER
10-09-2005, 02:28 PM
If your heading up via inskip/ rainbow its well worth a throw for tailor bettween inskip( bar area ) and rainbow township. just called my brother who is up there for one of our club comps ( i got stuck at home with work ) and he has been nailing plenty of tailor in the 2-3 KG range in daylight hours. tells me he has a few bream and tarwhine around the 1.3 KG mark to boot.....bastard!

add60, sometimes the beach isnt formed right for the pippis to be exsposed. when like this you will only find them at low tide in the water digging for them around depression like gutters. they are still there and the fish are still feeding on them.

Drew

Just_chips
10-09-2005, 10:06 PM
Just got back today and the beach was in good nick you could drive through most stages of the tide without the need for 4wd, it was just the usual chopped up mess where the barge drops you off though, keep your eyes open for the small creeks that run across the beach and cross as close to the waterline as you can for a smooth entry and exit.

As far as the fishing goes there was about 50 cars parked outside the entrance to dundubarra campground everyday for the last week so I'd assume that things won't change too much before you arrive.

Good luck

Cheers Kev

Seamus
11-09-2005, 08:50 AM
Just back yesterday from a week up there. The gutters that seemed to be firing most were at the Cathedrals and also one about 100m north of the entry to Happy Valley. The weed is patchy all along the coast and makes it unfishable at times, but worth a try if you find a spot free of the stuff. Choppers mainly the go, but the odd 50cm + was bought in. Beach conditions are pretty good at the moment with the creek crossings pretty easy - common sense is the key. Enjoy

Seamus

whynott
14-09-2005, 08:01 AM
Thanks guys for all the great advice.
We are all looking forward to it as Tuesday is coming closer.
Trucks are serviced, new lines on the reels, heaps of new tackle, and all the camping gear has been checked.
Bring on Tuesday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers,
Graham. :)

mr_stinker
14-09-2005, 09:31 PM
WILL BE HEADING UP ON SUNDAY, ABOUT 5KM'S NORTH OY CATHEDERALS.YOU WILL NOT MISS THE BIG YELLOW TARP ANOTHER 1KM UP THE ROAD HAS BEEN A GUTTER FULL OF TAILOR AND DART.WEED S/E GONE ,N/E GOD HELP YOU. PS THE RID BOYS WILL BE THERE

whynott
17-09-2005, 05:43 AM
LETS HOPE THE WEATHER COMES GOOD!