PDA

View Full Version : Burrum Heads - Toogoom Advice

fullysik
14-09-2005, 10:12 PM
Hiya there everyone, I'm just wondering if any fellow Ausfishers might be able to help me out with some advice. Im heading to Toogoom/Burrum for a week in the first week of October, what I'm really after is people who know the area to help me with what fish to target, good spots and if the crabs will be round. I'll be towing up the tinny with me and plan to have it out every day, weather permitting. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as even though I am up there every month for work, I've never fished there....saw a couple of nice flathead frames at the Toogoom boat ramp last thursday morning so I assume they are on the chew there at the moment. If any other Ausfishers are going to be there at the time look out for me in the 4 meter horizon with Ausfish tuna stickers and Bush'n'Beach stickers on each side....Thanx heaps...Cheers...Dave!!

bay_firey
14-09-2005, 10:43 PM
Dave

You will get good catches of all the bread and butter species from the Burrum ramp.
Head up river and into some of the creeks for good crabs, watch your pots though.
Straight over from the ramp on the woodgate side is a spot known as "The Black Bank" don't be surprised to get Tailor, the odd Jew, Mackeral etc

If the weather Gods play the game, slip out the front, follow Woodgate Beach up to the pub and then head offshore about 1km to the Artificial Reef

Call into the Burrum Heads Store and they will fix you up with a map and some good advice.

You should do well for the Bread and butter stuff and good crabs up the creek from Toogoom too

bay_firey
14-09-2005, 10:45 PM
You could also have a look at Mossy's site FisnTales (http://www.fishntales.com/cgi/yabb/YaBB.pl) it's all about Hervey Bay

rusco
15-09-2005, 03:57 PM
Dont forget the Aerogard
Rusco 8-)

fullysik
15-09-2005, 08:42 PM
Thanx heaps for the info, I really appreciate it printed it out and it will be with me on the boat, I'll post some pics when I get back if the fishing is good, can't wait to get up there and give it a go...Cheers....Dave!!

2iar
16-09-2005, 09:03 PM
G'Day,

Have a look at this thread

http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/yabb2/YaBB.cgi?num=1124080103

I just got back today, one of the ramps is closed, but the other (open) one moves fast even though it's quite busy, and parking's fine. Current rages through though, so can be hard work in a big boat (mine isn't), and the ramp itself goes down at a shallow angle so you'll probably need to sink the trailer. There are rocks at the back, but stoppers before then.

Did ratshit myself, but the camping neighbours did really well on dog mackerel on Wednesday at the reef already mentioned. It's not far out even for a little boat - you can't miss it, there are heaps of boats there. Plenty of boils from macks, but if they're not interested (ie there's enough baitfish), they don't take lures or dead bait.

Make sure you've got the appropriate safety gear if you're heading out - the water cops are checking heaps of people - the reef is only 2k's out, but you need flares/v-sheet etc.

Mozzies/sandflies were very light, which was good. Take enough fuel to last you though - the local Caltex has closed and it's 20-odd k's to the nearest servo (Hervey Bay or Torbanlea).

Good luck,
Mike

The_Walrus
17-09-2005, 12:33 PM
Was in Hervey Bay last weekend for a conference.

Did all the touristy stuff on Monday including a drive to Burrum Heads. The flats out in front look good territory for whiting, flathead etc...

From looking at the sand, I'd be trying soldier crabs for bait. Catching them might be interesting!

From River Heads to Burrum Heads there's plenty of locations and variety.

May be going back there for a week in November. This time I'll bring my boat and fishing gear.

Luc

fullysik
17-09-2005, 12:49 PM
Thanx heaps for the info 2iar and Luc, really appreciate it. Only 2 weeks to go till I'm up there and I can't wait, can't come fast enough ;) By the way, is ther any chance of running into Jack up there yet, It's warming up but I don't think it's quite there yet but woulf love to know if anyone knows......Thanx again....Dave!!!!!

longone
17-09-2005, 02:23 PM
Just a quick point boys. Fuel should be available from the Hillcrest caravan Park. From bout 8am to 5pm. But bring some collateral for the pending loan. :-?

TonyM
18-09-2005, 04:59 PM
Thanx heaps for the info 2iar and Luc, really appreciate it. Only 2 weeks to go till I'm up there and I can't wait, can't come fast enough ;) By the way, is ther any chance of running into Jack up there yet, It's warming up but I don't think it's quite there yet but woulf love to know if anyone knows......Thanx again....Dave!!!!!

Wouldn't hurt to look up the Burrum for Jack, still warming up but spring is in the air ;)

Yakkasalive
19-09-2005, 02:18 PM
Fished the Toogoom classic this year- best results were trolling the old faithful gold bomber over the shallow sand flats on falling tide right in front of the pub boat ramp- got 2 ripper flatties... I was only there for 1 of the 3 days of the comp and I pulled about the 4th biggest flattie (all cath and release this year)... try trolling at a speed where the lure nudges the sand constantly- it pisses the flathead off and they nail it!!!

Good luck... ;D