PDA

View Full Version : boat show salespersons

youngfisho
03-09-2005, 03:25 PM
Just wondering if anyone felt ignored by the sales persons at the boat show? Only one person actually spoke to me yesterday about their product. And whilst I am not in the market for a boat until I have been and returned from overseas I was keen to know more about the boats on display. I was particularly interested in what southern star had to offer. and there was only one 640 sc and one ub520 on display.

I did find that the blokes from stinger boats really spent the time showing us their craft. even though their display had only one of their boats. the guys were really interesed in showing us what the boat offered and what optional extras I could add. will be a strong consideration in a few years when I have the money.

on a more positive note who found monos talk to be really informative. he really is a top bloke. :)

wouldn't mind goin on a charter with him at some stage

andrew

Scott15
03-09-2005, 03:40 PM
Found them very helpfull,

imported_admin
03-09-2005, 04:42 PM
Andrew

Would agree with you, walked around for a few hours on Friday and not one sales person even said good day, let alone offered any assistance or info on their product.
Took a grand in to buy a few things but no one seemed to want it so I didn't offer.

NeilD
03-09-2005, 04:54 PM
My Dad and Brother went in on Thursday night with a few thousand burning a hole in their pockets to pick up a radar and/or chart plotter and a couple of large marine exhaust systems. They could barley get anyone to even look at them.
Compared to Sanctury Cove it is a waste of time for anyone with anything bigger than a trailer boat.

SWFISHER
03-09-2005, 07:45 PM
Shocking also on Friday, no one offered to bid Gday although on leaving some young chick said hello to us two old F!rts

saphire
03-09-2005, 08:20 PM
I havent worked in sales since the late 1970's, but I think modern sales people dont want to seem pushy.
There have been alot of law suits and sales people being grilled on 60 minutes and other like shows.
I think this is why they are more cautious these days.
This is just my theory from my own observations. If there are anyone who works in sales these days who can put a light on this please do.
I would be interested to know why there has been a change in sales tactics.

SWFISHER
03-09-2005, 08:27 PM
I'm in sales, (building industry)and competion breeds aggression, otherwise you miss out :'(

-spiro-
03-09-2005, 09:29 PM
maybe you should of take'n you flano's and balaclarvers off ;D

The_Walrus
03-09-2005, 10:09 PM
Come on, it's a boat SHOW, I would expect any rep worth their salt to not let anyone wander aimlessly in their display.

It does'nt take much to ask if you can be of assistance.

Unfortunately, many reps see the boat show as a big sales fest rather than a chance to tell people about your products. #So if you don't show clear signs of wanting to buy they're not interested. #Even if I want to buy a boat, it shows interest that a rep want to sell me a boat.

I spend six months shopping for my tinny and many dealers lost interest as soon as I mentioned I was severeal months from buying!!!

Instead of having all these dealerships there, Quintrex should have a display so should Stacer, Stessl, Bluefin, Horizon #etc etc

Luc

joeT
03-09-2005, 11:32 PM
Well, I'm just glad its just not me being ignored at these boat shows.

bazzacuda
03-09-2005, 11:59 PM
Went Friday and had a great time, I did notice an overall sense of “greyness” over the show as a whole, and I thought most of the sales people really didn’t want to be there but hey, with the way these shows seem to grow an extra venue each year I wouldn’t be too fussed on being there either. I’m so fed up with people trying to hit on me in the street or on the telephone that just leaving me alone is pretty much what I like. (perhaps it might have something to do with the “don’t poke the crocodile” tattoo on my forehead) But overall, where I wanted information I got what I wanted from courteous and helpful people.

The fishing presentations on the other hand were a completely different story. Enthusiastic, well prepared, willing to share, what more can I say. Every presenter had something to add to my bucket of knowledge and I found it very difficult to go and do the other things I’d planned. I’d like to thank each of them for their generosity and commitment.

And then to add to the experience, “some bloke” gave me a $50 voucher for being interested in what was being presented.
Now, it did cost me an extra $250 to take advantage of this gift, however thanks to Queensland Industry for Recreational Fishing for helping me to my new Daiwa Caldia Kix 2500. Now I’ll get to see what this fishing with soft plastics is about.

In spending my “prizemoney” I’ve got to comment that, despite living on the complete other side of town , it’s remarkable how often over the last 15 years I end up spending my money in Lutwyche. The attitude is right, the knowledge is right and the price is right. That’s not what I found elsewhere.

It’s clear that many people were disappointed with the present boat show, and I think that’s fair enough, however come Sunday, I’ll be there again because there is so much that I think I can learn from the presenters on that day. With me will be my apprentice “deckie” (my daughter), who, when asked what she might find like to see, immediately identified the only female presenter on the list as her first option. My mum was a good 'fisherperson' until her late 60's, perhaps it's in the genes ??

Derek Bullock
04-09-2005, 09:47 AM
I always found the best way to get some interest was to climb all over the boat. That gets them going. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Derek

saphire
04-09-2005, 05:01 PM
Instead of having all these dealerships there, Quintrex should have a display so should Stacer, Stessl, Bluefin, Horizon #etc etc

Luc
Luc that would be terrific for us trying to make a decision. #In a perfect world wouldnt that be great.
But I dont think the manufacturers want anything to do with sales. #That is what they leave to the dealers. #
They do all there business by haveing shows for the different marine dealers.

Derek, that is the first thing Tempest said when he got through the doors of the boat show "Ok...Now lets climb over boats!!!"

youngfisho
04-09-2005, 08:53 PM
I always found the best way to get some interest was to climb all over the boat. That gets them going. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Derek

Well I did think about snapping one off in the 40 foot riviera that was there ;D. #

But I think the other 15 people in the boat may have objected to the smell :P :P :P

I feel that sales persons should be trying to show an interest because if they are helpful and courteous to you, you remember good service. #

I wont be in the market for a boat for a few years but still if I received crap service from a boat dealer or show then I wouldn't go back and buy from them at a later date.

so you may see me around in a stinger long boat within a few years, crashing through that notorious 2 foot bay chop

andrew

gawby
04-09-2005, 10:18 PM
I went to the boat show today and when i walked through the door it was all the same thing again.
The security at the main doors looked at us if we had snot on our heads.
When inside looking at the boats no one would give you the time of day.
at one of the stands i was looking at the stacers as i have been looking at the 640 cab. I asked if they had one there and they replied not enough room for everything and then ignored me. I then asked for a brocher whick i got and left shortly after as the sales person didnt know.
I then went and had a look at the cruise crafts again and am going to test drive one in about a week and decide, yes or no. 575 explorer.
Was happy to leave.
Graeme

S.S.
05-09-2005, 11:58 AM
Most of the sales guys at the show would agree with me that when asking a potential customer (ie people wandering around the stand) whether they need assistance, 99.9% of people will say that they're "just looking". Anyone seriously looking at buying will come up to the counter.

saphire
05-09-2005, 12:18 PM
SS what you said makes a lot of sense. Just imagine how boring it must be to hear no just looking continuously. Good point.

imported_admin
05-09-2005, 01:53 PM
Most of the sales guys at the show would agree with me that when asking a potential customer (ie people wandering around the stand) whether they need assistance, 99.9% of people will say that they're "just looking". Anyone seriously looking at buying will come up to the counter.

That is why you never say to a customer "Ya right"

Just simply say something like "Hello", "Hi, enjoying the show" or somthing similar. This will get a far greater response from the customer and then you can simply say "If you need any assistance please feel free to let me know."

Have done a lot of shows in my sales days (Sales Rep, State Manager, National Sales Manager) and the one thing I found at all the shows was that there were plenty of staff on stands but very few sales people. Most of the companies put a lot of effort into the stand but very little into training their staff on how to man the stand and look after the people that came onto the stand. It is usually these companies that complain about the results they get at the show.

There also seemed to be too much of an emphasis in the boat sales side on the American car yard sales way of sounding a horn or siren when they got a sale, rather than serving the customers and attending to their needs.

My opinion of the boat show anyway.

Hopefully they will improve next year, but I doubt it.

S.S.
05-09-2005, 03:18 PM
Kind of agree but most people want to be left alone..... After working at boat shows for over 10 years, you kinda get sick of your "feel good" questions being ignored by the customers or you receive blank stares in response.

Service across the board (not just the boating industry) is going down in a big way but on the other hand, customers have definitely become ruder and more impatient as well.

Bowser
05-09-2005, 04:09 PM
I went on Saturday and was looking at motors in particular. Thinking of upgrading. Didn't bother the various dealers but went to the manufacturers stand to get some info. Stood around the various areas, looked at the videos grabbed brochures, took the cowling off looked around generally as if I was needing assistance. Only had 2 places where someone actually talked to me. Yamaha and Suzuki. The old bloke at Suzuki started of saying he wasn't there to bag the opposition then went to his book and bagged the opposition. Told me that the ETEC was a waste of space, don't touch 2 stroke and insulted my intelligence by ignoring my thoughts and opinions. Mercury and Honda didn’t want to know me, Evinrude only wanted to talk to themselves and jetski wally’s . The only guy that wanted to actually offer assitance made my choice very clear and that was Yamaha. He listened to what I was considering, offered good advice and facts to back it, showed me what was what and left me with a good impression but a hard decision.

I bought my current boat at the boat show a couple of years ago. Found it exceptionally helpful. I was able to stand in front of and climb over all the boats that were in the range I was looking at and make real time comparisons. Had been looking in boat yards for sometime and had made a decision on style and size. We were able to talk to the sales people get their gumpf, then look at the next boat compare the strengths of the first boat with the next et al. We then came up with a couple of options, sat down and nutted out a price on these, went away and had bite to eat and a beer, discussed it with the boss and went back and nailed the deal.

It makes you wonder what they are up to. The Motor show used to be about dealers and selling cars but they stopped that so that they could go upmarket I don’t know if we want the boat show to go that way. If we did we would end up looking at dream boats only and not getting any real insight into something we could actually afford. The stands would be manned or should I say womaned by girl’s with few clothes and fewer ideas. My experience shows me that it is best left to the dealers. At least you can usually get someone to talk to you there and get opinions, and prices.

Wear_the_fox_hat
05-09-2005, 04:14 PM
If you build it, they will come. (which we do)

If you ignore them when they get there, then why build it in the first place????

I know one dealer that won't be getting my business when I buy the new outboard. If someone walks up to you & starts asking questions with regards to the product you are selling, this generally means they are interested in giving you & your business MONEY, with which some businesses use to survive & also employ people. If such enquiries are interrupting your day or your general thought pattern of how smug your appearance can be, then you should be in another job, not pretending to do the one you're in now.

reeldreamer
05-09-2005, 05:28 PM
Had the same experience on Friday night! My job is in sales and as a matter of fact had just arrived from the industrial expo @ the RNA and i found the service at the boat show to be less than ordinary! Not one person even said Hello, i was even crawling all over the Haines Hunter 680 and not one sales person asked me if he could help! Pi55 weak if you ask me! Sales people have no choice when it comes to speaking to customers becasue they might get 9 out 10 people responding "Yeah just looking" but 1 might say "Yes i'm interested" poor attitude if you ask me!

Mitch

S.S.
05-09-2005, 05:46 PM
Ahhh, if everyone was as friendly as Steve Brown the world would be a much better place to live in ;)

Unfortunately we are moving into an awful world where no-one really gives a damn, everyone wants something for nothing and the only person people are concerned about are themselves.....

I for one would love to see a world of happy people :)

Whiley_Whiting
05-09-2005, 06:11 PM
I was climbing all over the cruisecraft 575 on sunday and not one sales person came over, shame really as in the market for one and after being ignored by the dealer I know I wont be going to them. The brother in law had a spare 1500 bucks to spend on a basic GPS/chartplotter but after playing with one and getting no response from the sale people he decided he'll just bargain with the guys he's taking his boat to get serviced at this week.

In all fairness though the sales people must get sick of talking to people who are "dreaming" but hey isnt that what they're supposed to do?

Overall boat show was ok but I didnt think the prices were all that "special"...

gogecko
05-09-2005, 06:13 PM
Ive worked as a Sales Trainer for many years. I can tell you that most sales people at expos are lazy, and see it as a bit of a break from their routine (a chance to bludge). Most cant wait for the bar to open, and the boss to disappear. Many are paid healthy retainers and low commissions, so why work hard? Now if my mate at Riviera could get me on the sales floor, Id leave my own real estate business in a flash.

Unfortunatley, good salespeople are hard to find, and harder to keep. The good ones get promoted to manager, and later get headhunted by the opposition, or they go into business for themselves.

I generally prefer a smaller business where I get to deal with the guy that owns the shop.

boatboy50
05-09-2005, 09:21 PM
Hey Guys,

I worked at the show for one of the days.

I always asked anyone if they needed assistance any time I was free. 90% of the time they would say no, just looking, which is fine.

Occasionally I got the impression I was interrupting them on my our stand, and to leave them alone. It's something you live with.

You can generally tell if someone is seriously interested in the product, and you will always ask them if they need help.

If someone is at a serious point, they will seek out a salesman for assistance, even if they need to wait for them to become free from talking to the maybe one dayers (dreamers as you put it). Everyone is a potential customer, and the decent guys and gals understand that.

Many times I was told by a customer at the show that they went to brand X, and they said your product is crap. I don't play that game, as it's not productive for the industry, it is much easier to point out the positives of our product, and why it suits their needs when it does.
I know of at least two sales where customers told us they went to other dealers who make them feel small and say nothing about their product, only to crap on others.

We had a successful show, so we are happy.

I have to say the cost of participating in the show is rediculous. A successful show does not necessarily mean lots of money was made. Brand recognition and building a loyal base of customers is some of the most important parts of a business.

Just remember, think level headed when dealing with the salepeople, give them a chance and don't be afraid to ask for help. They have a wealth of knowledge that will help you even if you don't buy their product.

My two Bobs.

Regards

Darren

bazz
06-09-2005, 09:00 PM
Yes you are right not one sales person came to me to see if i wanted somthing. But i did see Fitzy at the show and bought a sounder off him on sunday. But no one else came and asked so i saved my money. Bazz

noluck
07-09-2005, 12:52 AM
i dont know what i can say i was on 1st day and any where i just slow down not stoping thay start tolking and asking quastions how are u, are u buying boat, thise is top on market , best one , bigest in clas, best in clas etc... blaaa bla blaa
could be it was 1st day and thay not tied yet or it is me... 8-)
but i had good day

ancienttinnie
08-09-2005, 03:48 PM
Went to the show on day one and had to beat off sales people with a stick I think appeaanca nad attitude of customer makes a difference. I apeak from both sides of the fence as I have worked at the boat show previously in sales. I will buy a boat in a few weeks from the service and courtesy I got at the show.

robersl
08-09-2005, 07:37 PM
well i have to admit i was going in and out of all the displays and picking up flyers on different size and style boats and not 1 sale's person asked if they could help me and i was looking for a friend who wants a new boat but could not make the show

revs57
11-09-2005, 11:21 AM
Yeah Its tough...for us punters and the sales guys alike.

I did my share of time in the motor industry standing at the motor show stands, being lied to by the piunters...and I've done my share of time at the boat show as a punter being lied to or ignored by the sales guys...the balance is hard to achieve.

But there is always a story...I met a young sales bloke at the Sundown Marine stand last week...Jason Bird...I've got the first mate and our biker gear on, and a pocket full of dollars to prepared to spend $000's to fit out our new 6mt Rip Tide project. Jase doesn't know that...

Effectively we were all the wrong type of people...certainly not worth spending time with...not the blue canvas shoe types that's for sure. But Jason really did his job so well, He listened, asked the right questions without acting like the local jacks, my casual querie about a Garmin 172C (I'd been following the posts here about Blue chart etc, etc and figured that was the way to go) then moved to VHF/27Meg, then trim tabs and other stuff when Jason casually hit the trow away..."sounds like your setting up a boat load of stuff"...Any way, He made it possible for us to really enjoy the show without carting arms full of stuff around to fill the harley saddle bags...and has been an absolute fantastic bloke to deal with...he's given us a cracker of a deal and he gonna set up some marks south of the border on the GPS to boot. I'm sure he wouldn't mind the plug...there is always the exception either way

Rhys

Bosunsmate
11-09-2005, 11:43 AM
It's not only the boat show, went to the last Townsville fishing & Liesure as well as recent home improvements shows up here and have had the same problem.

Unless you are wearing clothing made from $100 notes they won't even t talk to you half of the time. Even had one guy eat his lunch while I tried to get info on having an extension built for our house which could have been a 4 or 5K job.

I have found the same contempt is present in the boat shops here also, unless you are waving the cash they just ignore you.

What ever happened to the old days of "Good morning sir, how may I be of assistance" And thats not that long ago......

Fitzy
11-09-2005, 11:07 PM
I dunno where alot of the Ausfish folks were at the show, but I spoke to hundreds & hundreds of ppl about Humminbird sounders (& no I didnt tell anyone they couldnt afford one >:( ) & Minn Kotas as well as stacks of other product there.

Generalisations in some ppls comments kinda leave a poor impression with those of us who worked 12 hour days there to help customers out.

fitzy..

youngfisho
12-09-2005, 12:20 AM
I found the guys at stinger boats to be really helpful. took the time to listen and show me around but as for any other boat salespersons where were they.

andrew

cabfisher
13-09-2005, 03:00 AM
Well I saved my cash I did not go to the boat show .
As I have been to so many In the past and been disapointed so I know better
and what do you get for wasting your cash and time walking around these Clatons shows better just going to a marine center or boat shop and do your barganing .
As no one get a better price at the boat shows than they would get in the shop as there is all the extra cost involed
It just a gimmic to con you in the gates
Have a nice day bye Harry

Fitzy
14-09-2005, 10:31 PM
As no one get a better price at the boat shows than they would get in the shop as there is all the extra cost involed
It just a gimmic to con you in the gates
Have a nice day bye Harry

You couldnt be further from the truth. Were some ABSOLUTE CRACKER bargains there. Wont get the same prices elsewhere. I saw alot of very happy folks walking out, bargain in hand.

fitzy..

PinHead
15-09-2005, 05:40 PM
It is amazing Fitzy how some sales people do judge "potential" customers on their looks...I even experienced it on 2 occassions when I was looking to buy a boat..went to a dealer on the Gold Coast..wanted to look at a 26' cruisers..he "spared" us a grand total of about 5 minutes of his oh so precious time then started herding us out the gate...the other dealer...they had some models on the water..asked if we could have a look..sure, he says...then he says "I will be back in 10 minutes"..30 minutes later..no him therefore no us..we left. The others we went to were all very good..answered any questions..very keen to show off their products and with a couple of them we made several visits which was never a problem. Oh...some dealers even wanted a deposit prior to a water test...I explained it was going to be a cash purchase...but a water test was required obviously..no deal without a deposit..they did not get the order either. It was an adeventure buying the boat with some of the attitudes ...I used to be the sales manager for a company in my industry and it is amazing...lots of times the people dressed like slobs have the available cash..easy to get on with etc..some of the "yuppy" types...had to arrange finance..absolute pests to deal with..never judge a book by its cover is so very true in sales.

Brett_Hoskin
15-09-2005, 08:36 PM
The problem is that too many sales people cannot sell they can only take orders.

Brett_Hoskin
17-09-2005, 09:33 AM
SS what you said makes a lot of sense. #Just imagine how boring it must be to hear no just looking continuously. #Good point.

A good salesman will not bother about the no's . Remember that is his job to try and sell. It is not his job to get sick and tired of listening to no's.

A good salesperson will turn a "just looking" into an enquiry without placing pressure sales tehniques into the equation. The nature of many people is to not want to burdon others with silly questions. The skillfull sales person should be able to recognise body language etc etc to help him recognise a potential customer. Often all it takes is a probing second question to get the customer to open up and tell you what they are really looking for instead of "just looking"

The boat dealers would probably get more sales success if they sent their people off to structured sales courses and placed them on sales targets and monitored their lead following up rather than being professional chatters.

gogecko
17-09-2005, 09:49 AM
Gotta agree with you brett. Ive run plenty of training courses for big companies. Good salespeople know how to turn 'just looking' into an enquiry. It starts with an 'open ended question' like 'what have you been catchin latley' instead of a 'closed' question like 'can I help you'.

As well as training, the other problem is with motivation, which comes back to the pay system. A lot of these boat companies must be paying generous salaries plus low bonuses. Anyone who cant earn a living on commission only, shouldnt be in sales.

kitty_cat
17-09-2005, 01:44 PM
gecko and brett,
well were do i start , it sounds like yous guys have had bad experiences and certainly dont work as salesman today, iam currently a working salesman with a family and a morgage and a commision only job would be ludicrest besides i like being married, i work in the marine industry because i have a passion for boating and love working with boats and being on the water, yous guys talk about being proffesional salesman with training most marine companies spent plenty of time and money on training and most of us work long hours and do our best to serve punters with the best sevrice possible .

ps the bargains at the show were big bargains

wayne

Dingas49
17-09-2005, 09:08 PM
Hello All, being new to Boat fishing (was confirmed Beach fisher) I found some of the salesmen and women at the Boat show were as you say not interested in helping me.

I wandered around looking at what i was interested in and finally had to approach someone to answer my questions.

Then i came to Northside marine where the one of the salesman went out of his way to explain things to a novice. I went back on the sunday to clear up a few things i wanted to know, and the same salesman assisted me.

After walking around some more and not getting any assistance i returned to Northside marine and put a deposit on my first boat. Which is now sitting in my backyard.

BigE
18-09-2005, 06:48 AM
stuff a sock in ur wallet ...... that usaully gets the sales staff attention :o

SIGNS2503
18-09-2005, 07:16 AM
I am a used car sales manager with about 6 sales staff who are all on an average retainer with good commissions, they are taught from day one never to ask can I help you. The only thing I ask of them is to say hello and how are you! After that it is purely conversational about the weather, footy, fishing whatever. If you are friendly they will open up to you and tell you what they want.

It is true that salespeople get alot of knocks but that is part of there job! That is what they are paid for!

Whenever I get a customer that gives me the "just looking" after I have said hello, I turn to them and say "oh sorry I wasnt asking you what you were doing here, I was just being polite" (allways smiling of course) This can in my experience start a conversation.

To get back to the question at hand though about being helped at various shows and shops, never hold that against the manufacture as it isnt there fault, and you could end up buying something that doesnt suit you purely because he was a good salesperson and took the time to talk to you.

Always do your research when buying wether it be in shows, shops, talking with other customers waiting to be served or on the internet, you will always get the right product if you do this.

gogecko
18-09-2005, 01:15 PM
Hi Kitti Kat.
yes Im a salesman now, and doing well on commission only, no retainer. Ive also trained salespeople for several public companies like Raptis Group, timeshare and even (yuk) call centres. I do know what Im talking about, but I agree that you are entitled to your own opinion.

I wasnt even at the boat show, so dont take much notice of me. I was only generalising.There are good salespoeple and bad in the boating industry, just like any other.

I do agree there are always great bargains at boat shows.

My only point is that poor salesman are usually the result of poor training and poor motivation pay packages (read- paid to bludge). I did not mean to cast aspersions on the very good salespeople that are out there. Perhaps a lot of companies had last minute staff problems and got fillins.
This often happens at expos.

Peace love flowers weed.

NEWBY
18-09-2005, 08:51 PM
I havent worked in sales since the late 1970's, but I think modern sales people dont want to seem pushy.
There have been alot of law suits and sales people #being grilled on 60 minutes and other like shows.
This is just my theory from my own observations. #If there are anyone who works in sales these days who can put a light on this please do.
I would be interested to know why there has #been a change in sales tactics.
Saphire ya hit the nail on the head. Salespeople are damned if they do and damned if they dont. If there had been a heap of pushy sales people there trying to flog their wares and FEED THEIR FAMILIES, I am sure this thread would have been about "The pushy bloody sales men at the show" You might have guessed by now that I am in the sales industry. In fact I run a car dealership and I can tell you right now from experience (and many years of it) that the general buying public are rude, ignorant and liars. YES LIARS. It is now a common saying in the sales industry that "BUYERS ARE LIARS" C'mon guys, how many tomes have you walked into somewhere to look at a purchase and when you didnt hear what YOU wanted to hear you have blatantly lied to the sales person with things like "I have to speak to the missus" or " I will think about it" BULL SHEET....... You have no intention of doing either so after a few years of hearing this crap, us sales people that have been accused of being "pushy" or "using pressure" start to not want tp talk to anyone who is not "REAL" If you really wanted to buy something or needed information why didnt you just bloody ask instead of crusifying the poor bloody salesman trying to make a living? Like I said, I run a car yard, and my sales staff are busting their arse 60+ hours a week trying to do their best and what gratitude do they get for that? Comments like "bloody rip off merchants" etc. Funny how the tide turns eh? And what about these poor buggers that are working their Sundays at the show? Who pays them? Well its the dealer and what do most people do when they get their info and price from the salesman? They go down the road so some lazy bugger can beat their price by a hundred bucks and the poor bugger that spent 2 hours feeding you with info get's "JACK SHEET" Yep, as you may have guessed, this thread has peed me off. Before ya get on ya high horses about sales people, get off yer backside and try it. I know that you will have a new respect for them. Oh by the way, most motor show and boat show organisers these days insist that sales people stay their distance from the looker because in previous years the "LOOKER" has whinged and whined that the sales people were pushy. Ya make ya bed, lie in it.

NEWBY
18-09-2005, 08:56 PM
stuff a sock in ur wallet ...... that usaully gets the sales staff attention #:o Thats is harsh bigE. Maybe you should stick that sock in ya pants and get some of that good lovin' from a good woman eh? Although, just like the sock in the wallet, she would find out you are fake... >:(

PinHead
19-09-2005, 02:29 AM
There have been alot of law suits and sales people #being grilled on 60 minutes and other like shows.
This is just my theory from my own observations. #If there are anyone who works in sales these days who can put a light on this please do.
Saphire ya hit the nail on the head. Salespeople are damned if they do and damned if they dont. If there had been a heap of pushy sales people there trying to flog their wares and FEED THEIR FAMILIES, I am sure this thread would have been about "The pushy bloody sales men at the show" You might have guessed by now that I am in the sales industry. In fact I run a car dealership and I can tell you right now from experience (and many years of it) that the general buying public are rude, ignorant and liars. YES LIARS. It is now a common saying in the sales industry that "BUYERS ARE LIARS" C'mon guys, how many tomes have you walked into somewhere to look at a purchase and when you didnt hear what YOU wanted to hear you have blatantly lied to the sales person with things like "I have to speak to the missus" or " I will think about it" BULL SHEET....... You have no intention of doing either so after a few years of hearing this crap, us sales people that have been accused of being "pushy" or "using pressure" start to not want tp talk to anyone who is not "REAL" If you really wanted to buy something or needed information why didnt you just bloody ask instead of crusifying the poor bloody salesman trying to make a living? Like I said, I run a car yard, and my sales staff are busting their arse 60+ hours a week trying to do their best and what gratitude do they get for that? Comments like "bloody rip off merchants" etc. Funny how the tide turns eh? And what about these poor buggers that are working their Sundays at the show? Who pays them? Well its the dealer and what do most people do when they get their info and price from the salesman? They go down the road so some lazy bugger can beat their price by a hundred bucks and the poor bugger that spent 2 hours feeding you with info get's "JACK SHEET" Yep, as you may have guessed, this thread has peed me off. Before ya get on ya high horses about sales people, get off yer backside and try it. I know that you will have a new respect for them. Oh by the way, most motor show and boat show organisers these days insist that sales people stay their distance from the looker because in previous years the "LOOKER" has whinged and whined that the sales people were pushy. Ya make ya bed, lie in it.

What is wrong with getting other prices. I can give you a good example of that...3 months back..went to a Mazda dealer...took a car for a test run..he quoted me list price..I asked what his best price was with the options I wanted..he would not give it to me without signing a purchase agreement...cos he said I would farm his price around..of course I would..what did he think I was..stupid. I went to a Toyota dealer..no problems at all...bought a new Toyota. In my industry I have to submit quotations for most jobs..sometimes there are 6 or 7 tenderers...cannot the car sales people handle some competition?

NEWBY
19-09-2005, 06:37 PM

What is wrong with getting other prices. I can give you a good example of that...3 months back..went to a Mazda dealer...took a car for a test run..he quoted me list price..I asked what his best price was with the options I wanted..he would not give it to me without signing a purchase agreement...cos he said I would farm his price around..of course I would..what did he think I was..stupid. I went to a Toyota dealer..no problems at all...bought a new Toyota. In my industry I have to submit quotations for most jobs..sometimes there are 6 or 7 tenderers...cannot the car sales people handle some competition?

Well pin head YES we can handle the competition but I would hazard a guess and say that when you submit a tender it is a once of price and not something that gets turned into a dutch auction. What ever happened to smart (thats non-stupid) people who sit and NEGOTIATE their deal. And whats to say pin head that you got the best price from Toyota? Heres how it happens pin head. say you go to a dealer and ask for his best price, then you go down the road and the other dealer gives you a price thats $500 better. You think thats great and buy the car. How do YOU know that the second dealer hasnt still got 5 grand left? Well you dont but if you make an offer to your LOCAL dealer, you know the one that tips thousands of dollars a year into sponsorship and stuff in your area, an offer that YOU are happy to pay, and that dealer accepts the deal which means he has enough profit left in it to pay the rent and wages, isnt that then the BEST deal??????????? Your happy to pay it, he's happy to accept it, everyones a winner. AND everyones happy. Thats a PROFESSIONAL negotiation process.

PinHead
19-09-2005, 07:32 PM
NO..that is not how it works with me...I do not have the time to drive from dealership to dealership. I sent out faxes to vatious dealers..Mazda and Toyota...requesting prices..I got a reply from one Mazda dealer (the one I went to) and one Toyota dealer ( the one I went to also). The others did not have the common decency to even reply. Oh well..they must be making a killing with their sales. After the Mazda dealer did not give me a price I went to the Toyota dealer...he gladly gave me a price..i was satisfied with the price..I took $5000.00 cash out of my pocket as a deposit..told him I would collect the car in 4 days..done deal..simple as that..all I wanted was the price from the Mazda bloke but he would not give it to me. When I shop I usually know what I want and what I am prepared to pay for it..let's be serious..buying a car under $30000.00 price tag is no big deal...it is not a great deal of money..I sell air cond systems that are worth lots more than that..and with a lot less hassles. Any dealer that would accept a deal without having any profit in it deserves to go out of business...I can assure you I do not do any jobs without profit in them..I could stay home and watch TV and go broke with a lot less dramas than doing that. I am the world's worst shopper..I hate it..as I said..I know what I want and what I expect to pay...very easy dealing with me.

PinHead
19-09-2005, 07:33 PM
OH..and you would be surprised in the building industry how the tender process does turn into a dutch austion..the lowest tender may be above their budget price so they then farm it around again..no difference.

NEWBY
19-09-2005, 08:59 PM
OH..and you would be surprised in the building industry how the tender process does turn into a dutch austion..the lowest tender may be above their budget price so they then farm it around again..no difference.
I am not surprised but imagine if we just went to the builder with our buget and we negotiated where we wanted to be? If the builder can do it for the price we go ahead, if he cant, then go to the next one? Ahhhhhhh yes, utopia, the perfect world. 2 parties, a professional negotiation process. 1 deal. less time. no bull sheeeeeet..... ahhhhhh yes....utopia