PDA

View Full Version : Straddie Accommodation

2iar
20-09-2005, 02:21 PM
Hi All,

I'm considering taking the 4WD and tinnie for a long overdue trip to Straddie. I'm embarrased to say that despite numerous visits to Moreton and Fraser I've never set foot on the island.

I don't know that much about the place, so I'm doing my research now. However, can anyone recommend some accomodation on the bay side of Nth Straddie, near a boat ramp? I'd rather have Ausfishers opinions than take a shot in the dark myself. Somewhere small and preferably self-contained would be ideal as it's only for me, the missus and the little one. We're not opposed to resort-type accomodation either, but would need somewhere to park the car & boat.

Any opinions?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

WOOF
20-09-2005, 02:49 PM
Try DOLPHIN real estate on Straddie.
They have all sorts of accom, all over the island for all budgets.
Think they have a web site........

MrWong
20-09-2005, 03:25 PM
Mate Shouldnt and wont say to much as its not positive feedback - but its truthfull - In regards to Amity Point Camp ground - Six weeks ago the showers were painfull - never enough water and they were nearlly cold. The campground was under construction, the taps around the campsites didnt work - possibly due to water restrictions, and the staff werent the freindliest make an effort kind of people.
Just an opinion from a weekend trip. A postive was the view of the bay was great and there is a ramp beside the jetty at Amity. The camp grounds on the Point Lookout side of the island look far better options
:-/

WOOF
20-09-2005, 03:31 PM
http://www.holidayrentals.com.au/Browse.asp?AgentName=Dolphin

Try here mate.
Last time I went there I stayed at Cylinder.......could fish from my back door and take the dog!
Awesome.

2iar
20-09-2005, 04:32 PM
Thanks Guys,

MrWong - wasn't thinking of camping on this occasion. In fact, since they seem to charge per metre for the boat trailer, I'd end up paying more for the boat than the car + occupants. So I might not even take the tinnie if it's just a long weekend trip.

Woof - I was thinking of Amity (calmer weather/surf for the little fella), but which of the Dolphin options at Cylinder did you go with?

Thanks again,
Mike

brad72
20-09-2005, 05:01 PM
your right about the prices for the boat i went to amity point a couple of years ago at christmas it was $85 for the car $210 for the car and boat(4.4 mtr tinnie) work that one out :-?

however i can't say a bad word about amity point it's a great place for the family, we stayed in a holiday house can't remember the name :-/

WOOF
20-09-2005, 05:30 PM
Hey Mate.
Sadly the place I used to go to isnt available anymore. With the property boom it was bought by someone, knocked over and re-developed.
Call Dolphin, have a chat, and see what they can do for you. Just let them know what youre looking for.
PS........There is also accom in the Pub.... ;)

chanquetas
20-09-2005, 06:06 PM
2iar, We stayed at at Amity Bungalows about 7 weeks ago, and it was great. They have their own jetty you can fish off, there is a boat ramp down the road, and best of all, they leave you alone. Got the key? see ya...
They have room for you to park a car and boat, so no worries.
And you have a choice of boat ramps all pretty close, we launched our kayaks from one mile beach ramp, then paddled over to Peel Island for the days fishing.

johnlikes2fish
20-09-2005, 08:04 PM
G'day mate I holiday over at straddie a fair bit and any one of the real estate agents Dolphin, Ray White and I think the other is Raine & Horne all will post you a catalogue if you ring them. I have 2 small kids 5 & 3 and we find Point Lookout the best the beaches are fantastic and theres always a safe one, at Cylinder a lagoon usually is formed its about 2-3ft deep and is great for kids. You can explore all the beaches easily, we find getting a house close to the beach is better than packing the car all the time. If you need any help with the fishing get in touch.

s-pac
20-09-2005, 10:33 PM
Mike
If you have time and spare funds go over for the day, it might save you and your family some disappointment on house options. You cannot always tell just by pictures in a book and each person has different needs and wants. To be honest you can stay anywhere as driving distances are not great. Be warned in some places the view is what you are paying for. We found a nice place run by Ray White Point lookout called "Fishtails", and was very impressed with view and price. Even has own bait freezer, only draw back was it had no air-con and our stay was mid summer, but for this time of year it should be perfect. But once again what was great for us may not be suitable for yourselves.
Regards Andrew