PDA

View Full Version : Are We Ill Informed?

StevenM
20-09-2005, 07:29 AM
An interesting thing happened at my local tackle shop yesterday that I first thought was quite funny but to some might be quite serious.

To cut a story short this guy was looking at buying a combo to throw plastics with out of a canoe. He got the rod, reel and braid. While the store attendant was spooling uphis reel the guy takes another look at the rod that he has paid for and notices a warning label on the handle.

"For California Residents Only" " Products used in the manufacture of this product are known to casternegetic and may cause cancer"

Well this guys says to the sales person that he is not comfortable with the rod and would like to exchange it for another. The sales person said that the warning lable in that case should be on all rods as it is part of the charateristics of graphite and glass rods manufacturing purposes. I told the guy that he would be ok so long as he doesnt lick the blank for four hours or start chewing and digesting the rod. This guy was serious. He wanted nothing to do with rod.

Well I have seen this lable on lures and line. I dont care. But you may.

So what would you do if faced with such a lable?
Do you read lables?
Do we have enough warning lables?
Do you know about the effects of your chosen past time?

To me everything will kill you in the long run.
Eat KFC and chew on steroid #week old chook.
Buy only organic fruit veg and meats? Come on.

These are some interesting thoughts. What are yours?

Jeremy
20-09-2005, 07:34 AM
The list of chemicals that are suspected carcinogens is ENORMOUS. You would not touch anything or go anywhere if you tried to avoid all suspected carcinogens.

Same goes for foods. Some are meant to be good for the heart, but may cause increased risks of certain other diseases. If you avoided all food that could cause any disease you would not eat much!

If anyone wants to give away any fishing or boating gear that is suspected of being carcinogenic, I will gladly offer to dispose of it for you.

Jeremy

DR
20-09-2005, 07:39 AM
here is a couple more from dangerous products....

label on a popular scooter for children that warns: “This product moves when used.”

warning on a digital thermometer that can be used to take a person’s temperature several different ways: “Once used rectally, the thermometer should not be used orally.”

label on an electric hand blender promoted for use in “blending, whipping, chopping and dicing,” that warns: “Never remove food or other items from the blades while the product is operating.”

label on a nine- by three-inch bag of air used as packing material. It carries this warning: “Do not use this product as a toy, pillow, or flotation device.”

::)

Wyoming
20-09-2005, 07:45 AM
Perhaps the warning was specifically for Californians because they need guidance in respect of items that may be eaten. Dead right though folks, surely we need to take charge of our destinies in making our own decisions - if you were to wait all your life for instructions (from the authorities??) then you probably wouldn't take a risk over your entire life span.

I lived in Hong Kong for some years and that town is absolutely full of warning signs, one of my favourites being in the block of aprtments where I lived. Fixed at eye level in the lift was the dire threat:

" It is illegal to use the lift when the building is on fire"

DICER
20-09-2005, 08:15 AM
"carcinogenic" not casternegetic *lol*

A long time ago I read about some New Zealand fishing folk who warmed up their soft plastics in their mouth in the cold winter months to make them work better. They all developed lip cancer. I do not have the article at hand, and I can not vouch for the vaility of this article, but I think this is a good warning. For instance don't put soft plastics in your mouth.

Yes I read labels. I am also a scientist by profession and work with strong carcinogenic substances. Labels depend on several things including legislation and whether the item will cause harm.

I think with the rod in question - monomers, hardners etc were used in polymerizing the resin and fibreglass. Monomers are quite often toxic or carcinogenic (Araldite glue for instance, which is used around the household is carcinogenic - that's why they say do not get it in contact with skin). With the rod, I would assume though that the majority are polymerized and safe to touch. In rare instances the polymerization isn't complete, and I would bet my bottom dollar the in the state of California, they are covering any possible lawsuits. Anyway I would use the rod with out hesitation. If you do get, say some araldite on your hands there is only a possibility that you will develop a reaction, later cancer, and die, - usually the risk is low. If it is high, it is unlikely to be widely available, and will be registered as a scheduled toxin.

You will be surpised to find though that chemicals I regularly use in the lab, which are known neurotoxins, are also found in cosmetic creams for women. For instance, another thing I also find is phenol in lip balms - this is a potent neurotoxin and it gives you a tingly sensation once it's acted on your nerves. Phenol also targets the liver and causes burns on contact with skin. It is rather surprising and I'm not sure how things like that end up in these creams.

On the whole most regulations and labels give adequate warnings. There are a few things that could be better labelled or clarified. They are also a few dodgy ones too :

A brass fishing lure with a three-pronged hook on the end that warns "Harmful if swallowed"
A label on a baby's buggy advising "Remove child before folding".
A label on a toilet brush reading "Do not use for personal hygiene"
A label on a child's scooter that said, "This product moves when used."
A warning on a carpenter's electric drill stating "This product not intended for use as a dental drill"
A 30-centimetre CD rack that orders "Do not use as a ladder"
A warning on a pair of cyclist's shin guards saying "Shin pads cannot protect any part of the body they do not cover".

Most of these labels occur in the states.

FNQCairns
20-09-2005, 08:54 AM
The greenies and California have a lot to answer for, at least over there that label is so prolific no one even notices it anymore even if it was on a drum of deildrin (sp) ;) .

Just an off side for those that it will matter to - We place our plastic baby bottles into a plastic sterilizer (sic) with water then superheat it in a microwave. Then fill with formula etc..... nice to know we are doing the best job possible of liberating the highly carcinogenic plastisier from all that plastic into the baby's next feed.
There is nonone looking after us in this country..... where it matters!!!!

StevenM
20-09-2005, 09:36 AM
Some interesting thoughts guys.

Jeremy you are too bloody greedy tring to get in first with some free bee's. You have to learn to share...lol.

Dicer thanks for the science type of info..ps sorry about spelin mistake.

FNQ.. project is looking good.. must have used some nasties there.

So do we need to have such labels here on all product sold in Australia?

Should my tackle store or all tackle stores have a broard warning over the door as you walk in.?

Tony /AJack... ever had any such reaction in your store??

Cheers Steven

Billo
20-09-2005, 09:37 AM
cigarettes , coffee , air conditioners , microwaves , mobile phones , car exaust .....geez ....the list goes on to what ' MAY ' cause cancer...and these are things people brush off and say ' oh well ....i need this and its worth the risk '

lets all go live in a bubble ;D

seriously though every year they find something else causes cancer ....and every years they find out they were wrong about something else aswell .............will we EVER be informed is the question
Cancer seems to be natures way of trying to control thge human population ....my serious belief is we will never beat it ...it will change form and new things will trigger new strains ...never ending cycle

major-defect
20-09-2005, 09:43 AM
I read of one in the paper that was on a chainsaw that said do not attempt to stop chain with genitals. Scarey eh!!!

agnes_jill
20-09-2005, 10:00 AM
It stuns me how many mums & dads allow their children to play with the loose sinkers whilst they are shopping in our shop. Some of the kids have been wee little toddlers too. They don't seem to be aware of the fact that sinkers contain lead which can easily be absorbed through the skin. I often inform the parents and unfortunatley some look at you very strangley when you try to explain the dangers.

regards sandi

Poseidon
20-09-2005, 11:02 AM
Ah, once upon a time we were laughing at the antics of those in Litigationville, USA. How quick this fine country has gone down the same road.

Recent examples of huge payouts for peoples stupidity ( jumping into a canal whilst drunk- diving into a 2' wave break whilst stoned) cases all would remember, only goes to show how manufacturers and suppliers must be ever careful of pending claims.

Geez, our kids can't play tiggy at lunctime for fear that one of their parents will sue the education dept for negligence when little Johnny skins his knee.

Where will it all end.

Regards Cameron.

DICER
20-09-2005, 08:33 PM
yeah lead poisoning is a good one....

over here in Europe they are very aware of the use of lead sinkers in freshwater fishing and advise the use of alternatives.

szopen
20-09-2005, 10:31 PM
We will not escape.

Both of them.

Carcinogenic substances and US style law/litigation.

All them funny labels are a legal neccesity in some parts of the world.

When I think about how many pure lead sinkers I have tightened with my teeth I should start asking for scans and medication right now.

Yes there are risks we take in our life.
Sun, lead, waves, gasoline and a lot of other stuff.

The way I look at life.
Let's live it to the best we can.

Bosunsmate
20-09-2005, 10:47 PM
The yanks make an anti-personel mine called a Claymore that is activated by a small hand operated dynamo device, the explosive device casing has moulded into its front face..."This Side to Enemy"....

Apparently during Vietnam many US marines placed the mines the wrong way around and susequently had over 750 very small ball bearings explosively launched at themselves.

It makes you wonder.......

kc
20-09-2005, 11:57 PM
If something is going to kill me, I would rather it be too much time spent using fishing rods!!

"All times wasted what's not spent fishin'"

KC

PinHead
21-09-2005, 06:05 AM
cigarettes , coffee , air conditioners , microwaves , mobile phones , car exaust .....geez ....the list goes on to what ' MAY ' cause cancer...and these are things people brush off and say ' oh well ....i need this and its worth the risk '

lets all go live in a bubble #;D

seriously though #every year they find something else causes cancer ....and every years they find out they were wrong about something else aswell .............will we EVER be informed is the question
Cancer seems to be natures way of trying to control thge human population ....my serious belief is we will never beat it ...it will change form and new things will trigger new strains ...never ending cycle

I don't think there is any known carcinogens in an air conditioner.

DICER
21-09-2005, 06:31 AM
you'd be surprised what's in your couch though and is emitted from it. Formaldehyde - a preservative that has some carcingenic properties. Furthermore by mixing formaldehyde with salt water, you create another highly carcinogenic compound...

borisdog
21-09-2005, 07:17 AM
Looks like standard Yank lawyer arse-cover. Having spent a little time there and worked with quite a few of them it never ceases to amaze me how very few of them are prepared to take responsibility for their own actions. Their first course of action when the poo hits the fan is usually "Who can I blame/sue/shoot?" Hence those type of warnings. God bless 'em for being our mates and all that but they can be just a little precious at times ;)

bidkev
21-09-2005, 09:18 AM
Looks like standard Yank lawyer arse-cover. Having spent a little time there and worked with quite a few of them it never ceases to amaze me how very few of them are prepared to take responsibility for their own actions. Their first course of action when the poo hits the fan is usually "Who can I blame/sue/shoot?" Hence those type of warnings. God bless 'em for being our mates and all that but they can be just a little precious at times ;)

There was a case a couple of years back where someone fell off a fridge whilst changing a light bulb. They were awarded heaps of compo and the manufacturer was ordered to attach warning lables to the fridges that they were not made to support the weight of humans. Now just how can a court decide that the manufacturer was negligent in this case? So we're all supposed to know how another human being is likely to use something for the purpose that it's not intended? [smiley=huh2.gif] The mind boggles.........only in America ;)

kev

Hoges
21-09-2005, 11:23 AM

There was a case a couple of years back where someone fell off a fridge whilst changing a light bulb. They were awarded heaps of compo and the manufacturer was ordered to attach warning lables to the fridges that they were not made to support the weight of humans. Now just how can a court decide that the manufacturer was negligent in this case? So we're all supposed to know how another human being is likely to use something for the purpose that it's not intended? [smiley=huh2.gif] The mind boggles.........only in America ;)

kev

;D If you think that is bad check out the annual Stella Awards.
The Stella's are named after 81 year old Stella Liebeck who spilled coffee on herself and Successfully sued McDonald's. That case inspired the 'Stella Awards' for the most frivolous successful lawsuits in the United State s.

THIS YEAR'S AWARDS GO TO:

5th Place(Tied)
Kathleen Robertson of Austin, Texas was awarded $780,000 by a jury of her peers after breaking her ankle tripping over a toddler who was running inside a furniture store. The owners of the store were understandably surprised at the verdict, considering the misbehaving toddler was Ms. Robertson's son.

5th Place (Tied)
19 year old Carl Truman of Los Angeles won $74,000 and medical Expenses when his neighbour ran over his hand with a Honda Accord. Mr. Truman apparently did not notice there was someone at the wheel of the car when he was trying to steal the hubcaps.

5th Place(Tied)
Terrence Dickson of Bristol, Pennsylvania was leaving a house he had just finished robbing by way of the garage. He was not able to get the garage door to go up since the automatic door opener was malfunctioning. He could not re-enter the house because the door connecting the house and garage locked when he pulled it shut. The family was on vacation and Mr. Dickson found himself locked in the garage for 8 days. He subsisted on a case of Pepsi he found and a large bag of dry dog food. He sued the homeowner's insurance claiming the situation caused him undue mental anguish. The Jury agreed to the tune of $500,000.

4th Place
Jerry Williams of Little Rock, Arkansas was awarded $14,500 and Medical expenses after being bitten on the buttocks by his next door neighbour's Beagle dog. The Beagle was on a chain in its owner's fenced yard. The award was less than sought because the jury felt the dog might have been a little provoked at the time as Mr. Williams, who had climbed over the fence into the yard, was shooting it repeatedly with a pellet gun.

3rd Place
A Philadelphia restaurant was ordered to pay Amber Carson of Lancaster, Pennsylvania $113,500 after she slipped on a soft drink and broke her coccyx (tailbone). The beverage was on the floor because Ms.
Carson had thrown it at her boyfriend 30 seconds earlier, during an argument.

2nd Place
Kara Walton of Claymont, Delaware sued the owner of a Night Club in a neighbouring city when she fell from the bathroom window to the floor and knocked out two of her front teeth. This occurred whilst Ms. Walton was trying to sneak in the window of the Ladies Room to avoid paying the $3.50 cover charge. She was awarded $12,000 and dental expenses.

1st Place!!!!!
This year's runaway winner was Mr. Merv Grazinski of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Mr. Grazinski purchased a brand new Winnebago Motor home. On his trip home from an OU football game, having driven onto the freeway, he set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the driver's seat to go into the back and make himself a cup of coffee. Not surprisingly the RV left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Mr. Grazinski sued Winnebago for not advising him in the owner's manual that he could not actually do this. The jury awarded him $1,750,000 plus a new Winnebago Motor home. The company actually changed their manuals on the basis of this suit just in case there were any other Complete morons buying their recreational vehicles.

::)

Only in America, we hope!

szopen
21-09-2005, 01:08 PM
I do not know what to say.

PinHead
21-09-2005, 01:43 PM
"1st Place!!!!!
This year's runaway winner was Mr. Merv Grazinski of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Mr. Grazinski purchased a brand new Winnebago Motor home. On his trip home from an OU football game, having driven onto the freeway, he set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the driver's seat to go into the back and make himself a cup of coffee. Not surprisingly the RV left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Mr. Grazinski sued Winnebago for not advising him in the owner's manual that he could not actually do this. The jury awarded him $1,750,000 plus a new Winnebago Motor home. The company actually changed their manuals on the basis of this suit just in case there were any other Complete morons buying their recreational vehicles."

That yarn has been around for years..I wonder if they think up these "awards" or just dredge up the same old stories whether they be true or not.