PDA

View Full Version : Who's your favorite TV fishing personality?

Owen
19-09-2005, 04:46 PM
Just wondering who you respect most as a TV fishing presenter (and why).
Caught the last bit of a clip on fishing Australia where Rob Paxevanos was catching a marlin from a kayak.
Have to admit I spent the whole time praying for it to do a bit of aerial work right on top of him. (Bit like cheering for the croc with Steve Irwin ;D)

cheers,
Owen

dfox
19-09-2005, 05:05 PM
I dont mind ET, but im having trouble with the antics of those pair on I FISH...

dfox
19-09-2005, 05:13 PM
What no dave downie!!

Needmorerum
19-09-2005, 05:42 PM
I've put in Starlo and Bushy. I don't mind watching the two of them over the top of the others. There's probably some jelousy in there somewhere, they have managed to do what alot of us would love to do, make millions out of our beloved sport.
But, on the flip side, I guess when you start to make it your work, it can become a chore rather than a hobby.
Starlo and Bushy seem to be a little bit more down to earth (to me) then the others. I can relate to what they do and how they act a bit better.

Corry

fishingnottake
19-09-2005, 05:48 PM
i went for bushy, he;s my hero , i even tried to grow a moustache but i culdn;t pull it off, i would of voted for starlo as well but i thouht you could only do one, i have nothing against ET or rex, they do what they do well, and they get alot of kids fishing who might of otherwise missed out but technically steve and bushy seem to have the skills,

frankj
19-09-2005, 06:24 PM
It's got to be Bushy, he's the most talented and knowledgeable in my opinion.
With the exception of ET and Starlo, who I don't mind, the rest are too over the top.
I think the new fishnet show is a bit amateurish.

Jew_Chaser
19-09-2005, 06:26 PM
I voted other for nugget a bloody legend.
has the runs on the board and doing it in queensland

Jeff

Big_Kev
19-09-2005, 06:31 PM
NUGGET

OldFatFerral
19-09-2005, 06:37 PM
I was on the Logan River on Friday and saw a bloke in a yellow tiny land and release at least 6 school jew on softties.
Ran into him later at the ramp he was ugly had a raggy old hat on and gave me some of the lures he was using.
I voted other to.

Bosunsmate
19-09-2005, 07:33 PM
Had to vote for Starlo and Bushy for the realism factor, these two guys offer the most realistic view of the sport without the drama and over-excitement displayed by some of the others.

Good old Rexxy has to have a vote for the WOW factor, after all he's been instrumental in getting a lot of the young kiddies into the sport, besides, who else would kiss a fish before putting it back in the water.

Seahorse
19-09-2005, 07:46 PM
starlo and bushy for me. dont forget brownie. he always tells you what their catching while he is in the harbour somewhere. at least i saw him in a boat on tv the other night. i think it had left the marina.

PinHead
19-09-2005, 07:55 PM
Nugget..that man covers his stuffups without missing a beat...I was listening to him on saturday morning as i was driving to work..the poorbugger had no phones..so he had to talk non stop..and then he slipped up on something and came out with "arse"..i wish I could remember exactly what he was supposed to say but without even missing a beat he then just said it correctly..well done..I remember now..it was "something arts"..and he said "something arse" then straight into saying it correctly..i was impressed..most people would not have even realised he said it..well done Nugget...he deserves his own TV show...have Webby on there also...with "Sponsored by Black Cans" on the side of his boat.

westie
19-09-2005, 07:57 PM
Go Rob Paxevanos .................... Oh he Finally has gone. Kept watching it to see if anyone pushed him in the drink. The two boys are my hero Sails on a Jet Ski, who is up for it starting with Spaniards of Cartwright as a starting point I'm Skipper.

James_V17L
19-09-2005, 08:32 PM
Leanne Payne.. [smiley=smitten.gif]..sorry Rob ;)

stubbie
19-09-2005, 08:59 PM
Yep another vote for Nugget [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Wyoming
20-09-2005, 08:07 AM
Yeah! Leanne Payne is sure worth a vote. Rex needs to retire with his yibbidda and his "that's what fishing is all about folks", but there seems little substance to Rex. He is so pleased to show himself catching fish, but you get very few tips and techniques - unfortunately, most of the fishing shows seem to love televising fish being caught, but with very little background. Years ago, Rex used to show knots being used on particular rigs and he used to talk you through various bits of tackle and hardware, but not any more?

-spiro-
20-09-2005, 09:30 AM
Those two fella's on I FISH are allright. Atleast it is watchable and better than the other fishing show that is on on the weekend. 8-)

cHiCo
20-09-2005, 11:40 AM
I like the blokes on IFISH, good value. Rob Paxevanous, bout bloody time hes gone. Was a Shocker!

Owen
20-09-2005, 12:28 PM
Interesting,
A couple in there I didn't think of.
You can vote for more than one. (I forgot to say).
What I reckon we should do is list what we want in a fishing show.
When the poll is done I'll email the link to the programming directors of all the TV channels. (As long as the Ausfish guys don't mind)
You never know, it could improve the standard of viewing for us all.
So make your comments concise and constructive guys.

cheers,
Owen

Roo
20-09-2005, 04:02 PM
i voted for starlo also because of the technical presentation he gives. Bushy, I hold in the same regard but i had to go one way or the other. I would have thought starlo and bushy would have been combined as one option.....they seem joined at the hip. :D

Roo
20-09-2005, 04:07 PM
i agree about rob pax......sh#those.

Poseidon
20-09-2005, 04:25 PM
mmmmmmmmmm Suzie Wilks :-* :-* ....What !!!!! I'll bet she has been on a fishing segment somewhere.

Seahorse
20-09-2005, 05:09 PM
tell them that they should have someone on the water doing reports from different but popular spots. you watch brownie and all he says is read the reports in the paper. a waste of fresh air as far as his fishing reports go.

BigE
20-09-2005, 05:26 PM
another vote for nugget ..........

robersl
20-09-2005, 06:26 PM
got to admit i voted other what about hiddens and the other old fella at broome with the croc farm seen them wrap a lid from a milo can on a hook and catch some nice fish

Flounder
20-09-2005, 06:41 PM
Another one for ET! :D :D :D

Outsider
20-09-2005, 07:51 PM
Favorite show would have to be Fishing WA - those guys get into some serious fish.

The "loudmouth girly squealer" (if you've seen him you'll know who i mean) gets a bit tired after a while but it's hard to hold it against him for getting so excited - no matter what he's catching he's having a ball. The other shorter bloke is definately the brains of the operation.

Any of the US shows of Foxtel are always an eye opener - big bugets and high tech gear - great underwater footage - huge boats with big donks and a bit of eye candy. :o

Still don't get the whole US facination with the whole bass thing but sure is big bucks involved and several shows dedicated to it. Saw some crazy show on the weekend from Pommyland - bunch of sunburned gits sitting round a big pond with massive great long poles shooting berley out with slingshots. They sit there for hours waiting getting pinker and pinker - strange country that.

terminaltackle
20-09-2005, 08:22 PM
I had to vote other in this one, although Iwould give my left testicle to know a fraction of what all these people know. 2 other people I think have to come into the mix. 1. Malcolm Douglas, the way he has made his shows are just great and I bet nearly everyone on this site watches his specials.. The 2nd person which I think would make a great fishing presenter would be Russell Coight, could you imnagine the story lines, and the funny thing would be that most of us could relate to the stuff ups that are sure to occur ;D ;D ;D

Burley_Boy
20-09-2005, 09:25 PM
Well I voted Rexy just because I just discovered the daily show and got into it but 2weeks later it was the end of the series ...bummer :(
First fishing show I watched and just picking up a few ideas each time was worthwhile.
Now I enjoy the Fishing WA just like you outsider. Its on every Sunday here and the most interesting thing I look for is rigs and looing for structure. It translates well to what I have learnt here the last year. :) Thanks guys.

searaider
21-09-2005, 07:33 PM
Another Vote for Nugget .
Its about time Channel 10 give him his own show . [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Peter
Searaider 2

Seamus
21-09-2005, 07:58 PM
Rex was a great ambassador and did a lot for the sport. ET comes across as trying too hard including his bloody woo-hooing. The I-Fish crew have fun and can be good to watch, but my vote goes to the combined efforts of Leeann Payne and Starlo on 'Fishing DVD Vol 2'. Laid back, informative, and easy on the eye ;) (No, not Starlo!)

Seamus

Big_unit
21-09-2005, 09:58 PM
I am with Terminaltackle, Russell Coight would be a bloody pearler or perhaps myself Ive been known to spear Squid from a jetty with a nail bashed into the end of a broomstick ( and I got four), fall out of the boat as we hit a sandbank & I have even gone butt up & got bitten trying to rescue a Turtle out of a crab pot. I just want a fishing show of my own & if they pick Russell I want the job as his offsider.

Cheers
James

Kiktz
21-09-2005, 10:20 PM
I am not to sure who RoB Paxevanos is
But My Saturday morning line up on Fox is 10am onwards.
1pm Channel 10 IFish, Clowns but good value.
Fox 8 I think 5ish for ET.
Great for when the wind is blowing

Outsider, I saw that too Felt sorry for the young bloke who missed out.
Was funny as you say watching the poms sit out there all day burning.

Not too sure of the name of the show, it's the one where the guy takes his brother along to film and his sister for god know what.
It is at the bottom of my ladder