PDA

View Full Version : Who dives - SCUBA?

MrWong
19-09-2005, 11:00 AM
Hey all, I realise this is a fishing site and maybe diving and fishing are chalk and cheese??? maybe - but in my family we all love fishing and the ocean and subsequently we have an interest in diving to see whats down there!
We are old time fishing peeps whom are relatively new and inexperienced divers. My question is: is there any other fishos who mix the two past times together or should the two never meet??
Divers complain about fishos and I am sure fishos have similar frustrations however are we pretty similar - Anyhoo if there are any others in South East Qld who do fish and dive and want to compare notes knots or dive tables just drop us a line be it a a wreck dive line or be it some braid on a TSS4!!
::) Norm Marion and Taron ;)

bugman
19-09-2005, 11:23 AM
There's a few here Norm,

I'm one

Brett

MrWong
19-09-2005, 11:28 AM
Cheers Bugman!
Were are in Bracken Ridge - doing a wreck course on the Brissy this sunday drop us a line anytime - have noted your a defender driver - same here
Spot Ya soon!
Norm

szopen
19-09-2005, 11:44 AM
I fish and dive (and hunt as well).

It does get a mixed reception in dive resorts though.

MrWong
19-09-2005, 11:52 AM
Hey I hunt too!!!! Marion doesnt she thinks the furry and hairy creatures dont deserve to be hunted #:-/ however me #- maybe I am a redneck lol
I fish and dive more than I hunt because its hard to find repsonsible hunting buddies who dont make a mess of hard earnt access to properties~~! #and my dive and fishn buddy is really pretty! #;) ;)
Keen to chat to fellow hunters as well!
Cheers
Norm

bugman
19-09-2005, 12:43 PM
Yeah it's amazing how many hunters are out there but nobody seems to talk about it much.

I'm in the scenario where I've got bugger all places to go any more. Most of the places I used to go have either been shut down or people have sold the properties I used to shoot on.

Maybe we could have a hunting/camping M&G - I know there would be a few people interested.

I've been wanting to do a rabbit trip to northern New South Wales for ages but things just seem to get in the road.

Brett

agnes_jack
19-09-2005, 12:50 PM
Have been known to stick the head under from time to time!!
Good way to learn the habits of the species you wish to target with a rod.

Regards, Tony

Stumpthumpa
19-09-2005, 01:01 PM
I do as well, when not thumping stumps with lures or boats! Also work in the dive industry for one of the major brands. Love my fishing and diving.

szopen
19-09-2005, 01:03 PM
I know it this thread was supposed to be about scuba diving and hunting just shown up.

But it is a good subject as well.

I am curious what do you actually hunt for in Australia, I'm under the impresion that there are not too many large mammals there.

It also seems that the hunting you guys do is very different from what and how we do in Poland where I come from.

(No hunting in China where I live, too many people around)

sunny
19-09-2005, 01:05 PM
Yep, there's quite a few of us :)

I think that's what got me blowing bubbles was being curious about the things I was catching. Been diving since the eighties

and yeah, szopen is right, you want to watch what you say in certain areas. Particularly some scuba chat sites. There's those that think fish are friends, and then there's the rest of us.

Relaxed
19-09-2005, 01:23 PM
Me too.

Cant catch those crays on a line, just got to get wet and have a good look around.

Just bought a new mask from the states to help diving with ear problems, I am yet to test it as the water temp is still pretty cold in Tas (also the air temp), will report on it as soon as I do.

Cheers Andy.

szopen
19-09-2005, 01:25 PM
I my case it is not only what you say online.

As both me and wife dive we usually spend holidays in some diving resort. At 9 in the morning you come back from the fishing trip and the rest of people are getting ready to dive....

They do get used to it after few days. Most of them.

MrWong
19-09-2005, 01:33 PM
Hey there out there everywhere! Cool as:):):)
Maybe a furum for Diving and or Hunting would get more hits than the off road or camping?

Stumpthumpa what brand do you push if that can be asked here? I wear Dacor my son Mares/Dacor, my lady SEAC sub.
I have to say there is a fair difference between us whom fish and dive and us whom just dive in the community in regards to fish are freinds or fish are dinner. Dont get me wrong I release most fish I catch, but I love a feed and can also appreciate the beauty of the ocean!

szopen - In Australia the majority of hunting is wild pigs and goats though there is certainly good deer hunting for seven spieces of them - all non native. There are lots of rabbits and foxes mainly in the southern states and theres allways the occasional Kangaroo shot (wether right or wrong).

Stumpthumpa
19-09-2005, 02:28 PM
Norm,
I have you and your son covered brandwise, but to not push any brand. I work more on the support side with tech training, military and some other things.

I no longer comment on the diver vs fisho thing or fish are friends - been done to death. If you want to hug them, that is Ok with me - same if you want to eat them, again, OK by me. I will be diving in the next few weeks and then heading to Faust to prop up the local tackle industry mid October for a few weeks!

Bill_Klein
19-09-2005, 03:50 PM
Keen fisho and diver here
but fish more than i dive

dfox
19-09-2005, 04:05 PM
If im not fishing im diving,(scuba or spearing) and if im not on the water im out hunting.(mainly pigs) ...foxy

blaze
19-09-2005, 04:06 PM
used to be a keen diver (havnt been in the water for a dive for 10 years)
used to shoot regular (deer, goat, wallaby, roo, rabbits, ducks, Quail, Pheasents) no own any weapons any more
All I got left is my fishin and boatin
cheers
blaze

DICER
20-09-2005, 07:28 AM
haven't dived for sometime but was an avid diver. Time and gear for diving are the two things that limit me. Always go for snorkel though, but have refrained from spearing for many years. Just can't do it. I guess it was a couple of gut shots where the fish swum away with bits and pieces hanging off. If it was head/dorsal shot fine, but the number of times I've just nicked a fish is too much!

Mind you by diving I have seen quite a bit of carnage on the bottom after fishing weekends and I have tried in the past to clean up. Most frustrating was over at straddy. The bottom was strung with ~50lb line bimmy to bommy, and a turtle decided I was fair game at flat rock - it was angry and headed straight for me. It had 10+ metres of line with hook in it's gob.

Don't mind going in if the fish aren't bitin just to see what's there.

MrWong
20-09-2005, 08:45 AM
:D
Know what ya mean there Dicer! #Speaking of carnage - if anyone needs an anchor ....just go dive Tangas or Curtain they are free to good homes all over the place! #Just make sure you bring up the ones not attatched to boats ;)
Its amazing how many are lost at anchor - meaning the anchor and chain are on the bottom #- no rope and it appears the "d" shackle that joins rope to chain has undone it self #with movement by wave action. Tip for young boaties #maybe we should check our anchor shackles and possibly secure the shackle in the "D" with some tie wire........ or maybe use longer chains??

hey 50 posts in 28 hours #- that has to be a record!!!!! #
I am on fire:::: #and not a single nice pic or any pics post amongst em :) ;D

major-defect
20-09-2005, 10:12 AM
Fish and hunt pigs occasionaly with dogs no guns.

Mick
20-09-2005, 12:41 PM
Fish, free dive, spear fish, scuba dive and hunt anything feral or declared a pest under QLD Pest management plan if permitted by land holder. Oh, cat lovers look out - as any cat that wanders from its property is declared feral under this ACT while outside the boundries of the property it belongs to. Haha cats!
As for large mammals. There are also water buffalo, brumbies, camels and wild brahman. I saw in Sundays paper a few weeks ago that a 200kg pig was taken near Ingham.
Where's a 50 cal when you need one?

MrWong
20-09-2005, 02:11 PM
;D ;D ;D
Mick - - - a man after my own heart!

Think we all need to get a fishn divn hunting trip going we could use cats for bait and slow troll em looking for fishies and if they dont bite we dive down and give them a severe talking to!
Mr Wong and cats we make a great team!

DICER
20-09-2005, 08:38 PM
I would go out gladly and hunt ferals what ever they are - including cats.

Cats are evolving and it must be stopped now!

szopen
20-09-2005, 10:08 PM
If I was not as far as I am I would gladly join any such outing.

I was raised with guns everywhere and bullets rolling about in the socks drawer.
Family was hunting for generations.

Shot my first deer when I was 11.
Biggest boar 165kg gutted, old trusty 30-06 of my father used.

As it is I am planning diving and fishing holidays in Thailand at the end of October (wife's company has a meeting in Bangkok and we are going for another week diving and fishing). All the sings on heaven and earth seem to say Koh Tao.

pirate_pete
21-09-2005, 09:43 AM
I too fish,dive and hunt allthough here in NSW it is getting harder to find properties to get on. I have several but they ar about 7 hours west of Sydney so has to be a 3-4 day trip being time poor I tend to do more family oriented trips which meens hitching up the boat and heading to my favourite part of the NSW coast South West Rocks where I can Dive and fish allmost anytime. ;D

mattooty
21-09-2005, 08:44 PM
Dive and fish
Got scuba certificate end of last year and have dived as much as possible. Have a heap of gear that i have got from bdays and chrissy's.
Fish......hardly needs explaining
Do alot of snorkelling and handspearing. always good fun.
Matt

Kendall
22-09-2005, 04:09 AM
Keen fisherman and keen diver. I love both sports.
My wife and oldest son both dive, my younger son will be doing his course this year. Both boys love fishing as well. So it looks like there a few of us that have a passion for both sports.
As we know 99% of the dives around Brisbane are boat dives and there a some of us that don’t have access to boats or the funds to do a lot of diving. Especially in my case with 3 soon to be 4 divers in one family, a dive charter weighs heavily on the pocket.
Maybe a dive section on Ausfish would be a welcome topic, possibly open some more options to us.
The hunting part made it way into this topic so I will add my piece to that as well.
I grew up with guns and hunting also. I can remember hunting feral cats and rabbits before school out in western NSW. But the laws and restrictions and the loss of contacts I can only reminisce about the joys of hunting.
I would love to be able to take my two teenage boys out and show them how to shoot as I was taught. Even if it is to be aware of guns and know how to handle them.
My 92 year old grand father who is more active than a lot of #50 year olds told me once that MEN are losing everything, Cant work on cars anymore because there is too many electronics and computers, cant have home workshops because of smaller homes and noise restrictions, cant hunt because of the gun laws, #the fishing restrictions are increasing.
Men can’t be men anymore and boys can’t grow into men.
Sorry getting away from the topic a bit there..

Kendall

MrWong
22-09-2005, 11:57 AM
Hey Kendall
Hows it doing out there where every you are - Last I saw you were in atrocious weather somewhere in the middle of the ocean!
Well i really do think there is form here for a dive forum could be titled "watersports" that way it could have say snorkelling diving knee boarding and wake boarding and all those associated off shoots that we do when the fish arent biting - and hey if people dont want to read about the difference between a Mares x vision mask and a Cressy Big eyes well they dont have to click on the forum link - any hoo thats my two cents
Hunting also another bag of fish there - Me i am same boat as many - love to hunt hard I have done all my life carried dads dead bunnys around the hills of central Victoria as younging and have done my share of pig goat and a little deer hunting, however with the cost of travel with the price of petrol and get i believe I get more of a "family" trip from a fishing - diving trip. Diving is a great bonding activiy my 15 yo is a diver and my nine year old cant wait to blow bubbles as well
so yep I cant afford dive charters for 3 divers and normally end up at tangalooma for a safe fun dive after or prior to fishing.
Look forward to catching up some day soon Kendall
Cheers
Norm -

DougHanning
22-09-2005, 05:38 PM
I'm a fanatical free diver/spearo, line fisho sometimes hunting if I get the chance. Never scuba dived, though we freedive to 30m so we don't need to.Nothing like stalking,killing and then eating your prey. Think I agree that the younger generation is missing out on a lot of stuff that used to be commonplace.
I have about 30 anchors found off the top of moreton. What amazes me is the number of sand anchors on rock bottom! Biggest is a 60pd danforth with 50m shortlink chain. With regard to winging fish, we practise shooting targets in shallow water. Sure a few get off but fish are suprisingly reiliant. Have speared trout with huge bites out of their backs. Brisbane is one of the best spots to dive in the world. We've dived fiji,solomons and nz, nothing compares to the variety and size of the fish encountered here. Get out there and give it a go. Cheers Doug.